Members Lounge

o.O It's Pun-tastic O.o

.Lonewalker. IF-Sizzlerz
.Lonewalker.
.Lonewalker.

Crazy Creative Junior

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 8:56am | IP Logged

"I am on a seafood diet. Every time I see food, I eat it."

"Did you hear about the guy who got hit in the head with a can of soda? He was lucky it was a soft drink."

"I used to be a banker, but I lost interest."

The (in)glorious pun!

Humour rises from the use of two words that agree in the sound, but differ in the sense. Have you ever come across anything like this? Yeah, you have got it right! You don't need to spend most of your weekends by furiously browsing online forums and guest blogs, analyzing the results of past editions of the World Pun-Off Championships, watching pre-recorded episodes of 'The Simpsons' in slow motion, or re-reading the collected works of Shakespeare and James Joyce in attempts to discover these witty tricks of words. Thanks to our ever active web worlds, and our ever increasing cyber dependence, we get to witness such witticism on a daily basis, be it in our virtual world's walls or in our ever buzzing texting app. The sharer/sender, no doubt proud by their little displays of their tricky banters. But have we ever stopped to wonder what does exactly the word "Puns" mean and from where did it originate?

The pun, also called paronomasia, is notoriously difficult to define, as it is a type of wordplay, and it takes on many different forms. The most common type of pun is using it in a humorous manner due to the sound it evokes. Because of the phonetic, it then becomes possible to interpret a word in more than one manner.

The exact origin of the pun is unknown, buried underneath piles of misconceptions and false assumptions. Although the Oxford English Dictionary lists the first usage of pun in 1579, mankind has been indulging themselves in use of paronomasia far earlier than that.  Apparently, Egyptian pyramid builders were the first pun addicts known to the World History. The art was lost for many ages until the Chinese started using this word trickery and took the tradition of punning forward. The Chinese used the term "shi", meaning "power", and "shi", meaning "position" to say that a king has power because of his position as king. Puns were also used in ancient Iraq and in Mayanwriting as a means of representing certain words and in every day language. Japan, too, has used "Graphomania", which refers to an obsessive impulse to write, as a type of pun. Pretty impressive, no?Tongue

Though the art of Punning was often considered hostile in its approach, it has enjoyed a fair share of fame as well. Puns are not only found in lively, witty conversations, they have also found their way into great literary works.

Shakespeare's plays and his sonnets are crammed with puns. Many of them are among the most quoted phrases in the English language. For example, the opening lines of Richard III, "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of York," where the speaker, Richard, is referring to himself, a son of the house of York. By using that pun Shakespeare transformed the seasons of winter and summer into the idea of bleak and good times.

Apart from Shakespeare, many other eminent writers such as Alexander Pope, Allen Ginsberg, Sidney Lanier, Richard Brautigan were particularly fond of playing with words in their writings. Among them, Lewis Carroll was a master of word play. He employed the use of puns throughout the novel "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", one of his famous works which still finds appreciation among today's readers.

Though they say "Puns are the lowest form of humor." 

Which is true for them, being the foundation of wit.

Credits:

|18shabbo|
|asmaanixx| |BornThisWay|
 |puzzles.| |santiagosentyou| |verisimilitude| |_7th_HorcruX_|
|-Koeli_Appy-|

Edited by _7th_HorcruX_ - 16 April 2016 at 10:18am

The following 28 member(s) liked the above post:

LoveToLaughNynaeve._Pari_.unitatoxo.Rish_RublesAbhishekingLifez_BeautifulRosChel.Lobstersporthy_smile28mrym_raufAngel-Jot..StarryPhoenix.annihilation.18shabboOtakuGirl-Debobeautiful.Radhikeraniscarletteblue.nerfherder-Felicity-asmaanixxAS-RifiNestleToulouse-Koeli_Appy-IWishICouldBornThisWay-Swetha--PyaariBhootni-

puzzles. IF-Sizzlerz
puzzles.
puzzles.

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 10:59am | IP Logged

"I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me."

In the modern world, where teenagers have the access to everything on the Internet, puns have occupied a special place in their lives. Usually, the reaction to a pun would be a face palm or a groan, yet, good and intelligent puns can give way to a hearty laugh as well.

Today's youth is fed up of the chaos that is prevalent in the real world, and seek to find solace in the only place they can - the Internet. Some of them are smart enough to create good puns, while the others try to, but end up receiving reactions like, "Are you really expecting us to laugh at that?"

To be completely honest, it is actually pun-tastic! ;)

Tumblr, is probably the largest social media website on the internet, where the pun lovers dwell! Facebook, Twitter, as well, are populated with numerous handles which are dedicated solely to puns.

Puns are basically of two kinds, either the best, or the worst ever. There is absolutely n-o-t-h-i-n-g in between. The best puns mostly welcome hyper reactions, while the worst ones make readers want to roll their eyes out of their sockets.

The popularity of puns has contributed into the making of huge fan bases of prevalent YouTube stars and other Internet personalities.  Hannah Hart, for example, a very popular YouTuber, cracks at least three puns in her videos.

Cracking puns ain't an easy task either, my friend. To become a certified pun-maker, one should be witty and think fast on their toes and have the presence of mind (at all times) to crack a pun.

Edited by puzzles. - 17 April 2016 at 4:24am

The following 20 member(s) liked the above post:

NynaeveRosChel.Lobstermrym_rauf._Pari_.AbhishekingForum.ManiacAngel-Jot..nerfherder.annihilation.18shabboOtakuGirl-Debobeautiful.Radhikerani.Lonewalker.NestleToulouse-Koeli_Appy-BornThisWayAS-Rifi-Swetha--PyaariBhootni-

santiagosentyou IF-Stunnerz
santiagosentyou
santiagosentyou

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 9:00am | IP Logged

2016, the year of the Olympics.
2016, the year of break ups.
2016, the year of deaths.
2016, the year of puns.

Everyone reading this knows what we are here to discuss. Yes you guessed it, if your problems are getting unusually bigger, your country has upped its nuclear bomb game.

Yes we are humouring you if the above example made you think about nuking us to have more for our awesomeness. If not too much of anything is dangerous. Tongue
Puns in a simple sense are double meaning words which generally gets you pregnant with mirth.

"How did I escape Iraq? Iran."

"I can't believe I got fired from the calendar factory. All I did was take a day off."

"I'd tell you a chemistry joke but I know I wouldn't get a reaction."

We could tell you many more but our talent is pricey for us. But this year PUNS have become a trend. From celebrities picking fight on Twitter to fandoms planning assassinations, puns are ruling literature. 

One of the biggest trends the past few months has seen in terms of puns is when Akshay Kumar cracked a delightful joke about the fiery Vin Diesel. While he was making do with Vin Petrol, the people on Twitter decided that Petrol deserves it's due too (secretly, they were probably hoping that the decrease in the popularity of Diesel would just decrease it's rate) and took to making many puns about Vin's guns. It was trending within a few hours and that, kids, is how I met your mother.

"Because you know... I could travel around to meet women and the rate was low enough? No? Sheesh, tough crowd."

Tumblr is not just a site where you fangirl and talk to fellow idiots like yourself. Tumblr is the hometown of puns. Sorry, wait, it is the mother of all puns. Facebook and Twitter - they're mere children when it comes to the art of articulate fooling around. Go there and you'll find the abundance of wit like mothers never run out of insults. It's all pretty symbolic really.

The highlight of the year (2015, 2016, samesies) is when The Sun punned it's way through the Star Wars movie with twenty-five punny covers which literallydescribed the entire story. The Sun spoiled the entire movie, and spoiled us when it came to choosing our favorites. Who says the sun spoils everything though? After all, it is the reason we exist. Well, pun haters cannot disagree because what is the Earth without the warmth of the sun.

But really, the best thing we have gotten are all the dad jokes. They're old now, but it's almost like they're getting younger with age. They add salt and pepper to our lives and without them, our lives would feel quite stale. We never really understood their importance before they were on hiatus, and now that we've experienced them, we can't get enough. Dad jokes, but even then he is keeping his eyes on you.

Edited by santiagosentyou - 16 April 2016 at 9:03am

LoveToLaughNynaeve._Pari_.AbhishekingRosChel.Lobstermrym_raufAngel-Jot..nerfherder.annihilation.18shabbobeautiful.Radhikerani.Lonewalker.NestleToulouse-Koeli_Appy-IWishICouldBornThisWayAS-Rifi-Swetha--PyaariBhootni-

verisimilitude IF-Sizzlerz
verisimilitude
verisimilitude

Crazy Creative Senior

Posted: 16 April 2016 at 12:13pm | IP Logged

Wow! That was a lot of pun! Some were true master pieces while others... well... let's just say even the gutter would be ashamed to reside them.

But those tearable puns are no longer our concern. What we want to see is how much you have learned about the mystical witty ways that belong to puns.

The real pun begins now. Evil Smile

We have constructed a simple and interesting game for you all to take part in. Simply, follow the instructions below and take part in the intense chaos that is about to ensue:

A picture will be posted in the next post. We have given a pun line related to that picture.

First member who is interested to play this game should quote the post containing the picture and the pun, and reply with your pun related line to what we have given.
The next member should quote the previous post (quote should contain picture post and the 1st member's post who is playing the game) and write another pun related line to the quoted pun.
Subsequently, the third member playing the game should follow the same procedure, this time quoting the second member.

You can continue this game until 25th April, 12:00am IST
The last person who posts the pun will be crowned as the "WINNERTongue 

To clear any confusions regarding the game, here is a sample:

Well amigos, let's start punning! Cool

poopymasterLoveToLaughGodly_Affection._Pari_.RosChel.Lobstermrym_raufAbhishekingAngel-Jot..nerfherder.annihilation.18shabboOtakuGirl-Debobeautiful.Radhikerani.Lonewalker.NestleToulouseBornThisWayAS-Rifi-Swetha--PyaariBhootni-

verisimilitude IF-Sizzlerz
verisimilitude
verisimilitude

Crazy Creative Senior

Posted: 17 April 2016 at 2:33am | IP Logged

Edited by verisimilitude - 18 April 2016 at 10:07am

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

poopymasterLoveToLaughAbhisheking18shabboOtakuGirl-DeboNestleToulouseBornThisWayAS-Rifi-PyaariBhootni--Swetha-

MinzPie IF-Stunnerz
MinzPie
MinzPie

Stormtrooper of CC

Posted: 18 April 2016 at 6:22pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by verisimilitude

hope I am doing this rightEmbarrassed

Edited by MiniRulz - 18 April 2016 at 6:32pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

AS-Rifi-Swetha-

-Priya- IF-Addictz
-Priya-
-Priya-

Posted: 18 April 2016 at 6:49pm | IP Logged
nice topic
-Priya- IF-Addictz
-Priya-
-Priya-

Posted: 18 April 2016 at 6:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by MiniRulz

Originally posted by verisimilitude

hope I am doing this rightEmbarrassed
bEAT me 

Edited by -Priya- - 18 April 2016 at 6:56pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LoveToLaugh

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index