Posted: 7 years ago
Siege by Simon Kernick is really good 😊
Thanx D :)
Will surely read it πŸ˜‰
Siege by Simon Kernick is fantastic!!!
If you like historical mysteries I would like to suggest the SPQR series by John Maddox Roberts(ancient Rome),The Shinobi Mysteries by Susan Spann (feudal Japan), Lord Meren seires by Lynda S. Robinson.

For urban fantasy mysteries the Dresden files series by Jim Butcher, Nightside series by Simon R. Green are all good.

For a conventional mystery I'd recommend the Vivero Letter by Desmond Bagley.The plot is as follows.

Jeremy Wheale's brother is murdered by criminals attempted to steal a family heirloom: a 16th-century gold tray. In attempting to find out what was so special about the tray that someone would kill for it, he discovers that it contains a map. Wheale pursues the trail from Devon, England to Mexico and finally to the tropical rain forests of the Yucatan peninsula, where he joins with two archeologists to locate a legendary horde of gold. This hoard comes from Uaxuanoc, the centuries-old lost city of the Mayas. However, the Mafia are on the trail of Wheale as well as the Chicleros, a deadly group of convict mercenaries, and Wheale is uncertain that he can even trust his two archeologist friends.

Edited by capricornrcks - 7 years ago
Originally posted by capricornrcks

If you like historical mysteries I would like to suggest the SPQR series by John Maddox Roberts(ancient Rome),The Shinobi Mysteries by Susan Spann (feudal Japan), Lord Meren seires by Lynda S. Robinson.

For urban fantasy mysteries the Dresden files series by Jim Butcher, Nightside series by Simon R. Green are all good.

For a conventional mystery I'd recommend the Vivero Letter by Desmond Bagley.The plot is as follows.

Jeremy Wheale's brother is murdered by criminals attempted to steal a family heirloom: a 16th-century gold tray. In attempting to find out what was so special about the tray that someone would kill for it, he discovers that it contains a map. Wheale pursues the trail from Devon, England to Mexico and finally to the tropical rain forests of the Yucatan peninsula, where he joins with two archeologists to locate a legendary horde of gold. This hoard comes from Uaxuanoc, the centuries-old lost city of the Mayas. However, the Mafia are on the trail of Wheale as well as the Chicleros, a deadly group of convict mercenaries, and Wheale is uncertain that he can even trust his two archeologist friends.

Bold - Heard a lot of good things about that.

Others (classic ones) - A lot of Agatha Christie's are good like And Then There Were None, and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Or you could try Sherlock Holmes.

For thrillers - Eye of the Needle is a spy thriller novel by Ken Follett set during the World War.

Medical thrillers - Try Robin Cook (Fever, Toxin, etc.)

Legal mysteries - Any of the Perry Mason (fictional criminal defence lawyer) books by Erle Stanley Gardner. Short, fast-paced novels.

Then there's Dan Brown as well -- Angels and Demons was his best, imo. (And I found Inferno really bad.)
Edited by Nickel8 - 7 years ago
Dresden Files is the way urban fantasy is supposed to be.16 books and still going strong.Plus I like the factor that Harry is a detective as well as a wizard.Here's the link to the books in the series.The author has provided sample chapters for all of them.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden

And here are some quotes from Dresden Files.

"There is no truer gauge of a man's character than the way in which he employs his strength, his power."

"Most of the bad guys in the real world don't know that they are bad guys. You don't get a flashing warning sign that you're about to damn yourself. It sneaks up on you when you aren't looking."

"In the action business, when you don't want to say you ran like a mouse, you call it 'taking cover.' It's more heroic."

"I don't want to live in a world where the strong rule and the weak cower. I'd rather make a place where things are a little quieter. Where trolls stay the hell under their bridges and where elves don't come swooping out to snatch children from their cradles. Where vampires respect the limits, and where the faeries mind their p's and q's. My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights, when no one else can help you, give me a call. I'm in the book."
Originally posted by Nickel8

Others (classic ones) - A lot of Agatha Christie's are good like And Then There Were None, and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Or you could try Sherlock Holmes.

For thrillers - Eye of the Needle is a spy thriller novel by Ken Follett set during the World War.

Medical thrillers - Try Robin Cook (Fever, Toxin, etc.)

Legal mysteries - Any of the Perry Mason (fictional criminal defence lawyer) books by Erle Stanley Gardner. Short, fast-paced novels.

Then there's Dan Brown as well -- Angels and Demons was his best, imo. (And I found Inferno really bad.)

I remember reading Perry Mason back in school.Didn't he have a secretary named Della?  Agatha Christie's Miss Marple series.More books from the school library.

Robin Cook's books are thrillers and sure kept me on the edge of my seat.

Dean Koontz's Door to December is a good mystery with a paranormal twist.Of course rather than the detective it is the mystery that's on focus here.

I'll keep Ken Follettin mind.
Edited by capricornrcks - 7 years ago
Originally posted by capricornrcks

I remember reading Perry Mason back in school.Didn't he have a secretary named Della?  Agatha Christie's Miss Marple series.More books from the school library.

Robin Cook's books are thrillers and sure kept me on the edge of my seat.

Dean Koontz's Door to December is a good mystery with a paranormal twist.Of course rather than the detective it is the mystery that's on focus here.

I'll keep Ken Follettin mind.

Yeah, I read those in school too. :) Della and there was some detective called Drake or something I think.

Isn't Koontz the guy who wrote a series about "Odd"? I saw his book recently in the library but the first part wasn't there so couldn't read it :(

Ken Follett's Century trilogy is also good. Especially the first part (Fall of Giants). It's not a thriller, but worth reading especially if you like stories set during the World War.

(The series traces the lives of members of five families - from England, USA, Russia - through the 20th century; first and second World Wars and then the Cold War.)
Originally posted by Nickel8

Yeah, I read those in school too. :) Della and there was some detective called Drake or something I think.

Isn't Koontz the guy who wrote a series about "Odd"? I saw his book recently in the library but the first part wasn't there so couldn't read it :(

Ken Follett's Century trilogy is also good. Especially the first part (Fall of Giants). It's not a thriller, but worth reading especially if you like stories set during the World War.

(The series traces the lives of members of five families - from England, USA, Russia - through the 20th century; first and second World Wars and then the Cold War.)

I'm not that fond of anything written between the Victorian Age and the 70s.Can you recommend anything not written during that period? And if possible a detective with some sense of humor.Oh and if it does have political maneuverings? I'd be ecstatic.So far I've only found one series which satisfies all these requirements.The SPQR series by John Maddox Roberts is set in Ancient Rome with the detective being an aristocratic playboy Decius Metellus.Here's a quote from one of the books in the series.

"It is one of the most annoying aspects of conspiracy that it compels one to blunder about the streets at night. I got lost several times trying to find the house of Laeca, and it is always embarrassing to have to pound on doors and ask directions."

"At this time, about the only thing that was still regarded as perverted was a public display of affection toward one's wife."

As for Dean Koontz, his Odd Thomas series are very well known.But frankly I find them too weird and stopped reading midway. He has this obsession with aliens.Door to December has the right amount of paranormal mystery.