Akangsha Rawat isthe new kid on the block

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 17 years ago
   Saturday, November 11, 2006

Interview of the week: By Alok Hisaria

Akangsha Rawat is the new kid on the block who is making her Tv debut

There is another one of those great Indian sweet love stories in the offing. Solhah Singaarr on Sahara One will see newcomer Akangsha Rawat making her debut. Here she talks about her background, her new role and how this show might become a fortune turner for Sahara.

First tell us what's your role in Solhah Singaarr?
The story is based in Banaras. I am playing the lead role of Meera. Sudha Chandran is my playing my grandmother. Mrinal Kulkarni is my mother and Arun Saxena is portraying my father. I am very carefree and careless. You can call me a livewire that's full of life. 

So has the serial been shot in Banaras?
Yes, the major part has been shot in Banaras. All the exteriors have been shot over there, while the interiors are being shot in Mumbai. 

According to you, what's so unique about the story of Solhah Singaarr?
First of all, it's not a saas-bahu family drama. It is based on the beautiful relationship between a mother and a daughter. It shows the different stages and different shades of the mother-daughter relationship. After a long time, you will be able to see Sudha Chandran in a positive role. I think even Mrinal Kulkarni is playing a grayish character for the first time. Like how Meera was devoted to Lord Krishna, I am devoted to my mother. 

What have you done before this soap?
I have done a lot of commercials. I have just shot a commercial with Amitabh Bachchan for Dabur. It will probably be on air within five to six days.

How did you bag this role?
A long time ago I had auditioned for Sahara for some other serial. Thank God, they decided to store my tape. Jay Mehta and Sahara were looking for Meera, when the Sahara people spotted my tape. Then I was recommended to Jay Mehta.

Can you tell us something about your background?
I'm a Gadhwaali. But I was born and bought up in Delhi. After that I came to Mumbai for higher education. I post-graduated in advertisement and marketing from St. Xavier's College. Along with the course I also did a lot of modelling. 

How is the rapport with your co-stars?
Everyone has been good. Mrinal Kulkarni who's playing my mom is really maternal by nature. Sudha Chandran and Arun Saxena have also helped me a great deal. Two guys will be seen opposite me, out of which I have shot with one guy, Pankaj Badra, who's playing Shlok. The other hero of the serial is Karan Singh.

Your experience working with Jay Mehta's production house...
So far it's been very good. They have been very co-operative and helpful.  

How has your life changed after taking on a daily soap?
Tremendously. We shoot for almost 16 hours a day to create a bank of episodes. I hardly get three-four hours sleep. 

Are you thinking about any other project too?
Not at this moment. Right now, I am just concentrating on Solhah Singaarr. 

Shows on Sahara have not done well compared to its other channels. Do you have fear of the show being not received well?
Sahara also realises that their shows aren't doing well. They have planned elaborate strategies to solve this problem. The channel now is planning to showcase six new shows. They have done a lot of research on what exactly people want to see. Even Zee wasn't doing well, before Saat Phere and Kasam Se.