The Women of Tashan-E-Ishq || Case Study Preview

asmaanixx thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 8 years ago
The Women of Tashan-E-Ishq

This post had initially started off as a response to sammy17's post "Something that exists in all serials, but is overlooked..." but then it morphed into a monster of its own. Mostly because it is a topic that I have been wanting to talk about for a long while.

Consider this is a preview for now as I do plan on talking about each women in further detail at later dates. I'll use this thread as a Case Study for the women and talk about them in updates or as I watch the episodes and come to my interpretations.

Also, as you may see I haven't talked about Twinkle or Mahi in this preview.

Reason #1: I don't know Mahi too well. (Am still on the honeymoon track, will reach to the current episodes eventually.)

Reason #2: It's Twinkle. Once I get started on her, I just won't stop. This women deserves a thread of her own.

This will be updated whenever I get the time. With school starting again, and a whole lot of other activities going on, I doubt it will be updated very often. But when it does, it will be in length and hopefully you all will enjoy it. :)

Now, onto the preview.

---

Anita Luthra and Leela Taneja: 

In Tashan-E-Ishq, women have broken the gender stereotype of being highly submissive and being financially dependent on their husbands to live out their lives. Prime examples, Anita Luthra and Leela Taneja. For majority of the show both women have been living as widows but they haven't let that affect their daily lives. They did not succumb to the social norms of how a widow should live her life as. They did not grovel before others and nor have they been shown crying their eyes out in private over how weak and alone they have been feeling. Rather, they have taken the marital absence and converted into a force of strength. They see their children as the inspiration and motivation to be strong and successful so that their children don't have to suffer. These women are extremely intelligent, resilient, dedicated, loyal, and powerful. Running some of the most successful business empires in Punjab is not an easy task, especially if you're a single mother. These women have worked their asses off to reach a stage where people are required to give them respect no matter what the situation is.

Bebe:

Let's move onto the home front; this time in the Sarna household. Previously, Manohar Sarna was in control of the Sarna name but this power was acquired through corrupt and illegal means. However, this corruption was fixed through Bebe who through legal means acquired her rights back. Rather than attempting to dictate over the family and make their lives as miserable as possible, she has continuously tried to unite them and make them see the value of loyalty. This is remarkable as we all have seen how furious Surjit and his son Cherry are against the Sarna's for what they did. If the Sarna household was under their control, the Sarna family would have been living in a miserable, torturous life. But the fact that it is under Bebe's reign, a woman who has been said to be incredibly wise and merciful, changes the entire dynamics of the family situation. Yes, Bebe is strict and has the final say in whatever goes on in the house. But she is not manipulating and using her power in a malicious tone. Having suffered and living out the separation from her family, she is using this as an opportunity to teach valuable lessons to the younger generation and setting them on the right path.

Sticking to the household, let's talk about the other women.

Nikki Sarna:

She is a practical and reasonable woman of today's generation. Bebe has called her out for being spineless and a coward for running away when things got tough. But is she really being spineless when all she's doing is looking out for her child? Let's not forget that a few days prior to the Sarna household being conquered, her son was used as a tool to blackmail Manohar into paying off some debts. Being kidnapped is one thing, but to have a mother to see her child be strapped to a bomb is an entirely different matter. Especially when it comes down to the father-in-law refusing to share this vital information to the parents involved. That is a dick move and I for one am whole-heartedly with Nikki in leaving the Sarna's. There is no way I would want to live with a family who allowed my son to be used as a tool and have his life be in danger. There is just no way that I would want to run the risk of that happening again.

Nikki found a practical solution for their financial problems - her father. He has money and he is willing to provide security and safety for not just her and Ishaan but also for Anand. Her father was willing to support Anand until he settled down and was able to take care of his own family. What she did was logical, reasonable, and sensible. To have Bebe expect her to forego that and live in a financial debt where they no longer have they freedom to live their own lives according to their will, is wrong. Nikki has shown independence and, just like Anita and Leela, the willingness to do whatever it takes to support and provide her child.

Usha Sarna:

She is the stereotypical mother-in-law that has been inserted into the show simply to give her daughter-in-law a hard time. Whether it is from her upbringing, or her way of gaining dominance over someone, I don't know. It can be either or both. We have all seen the psychological, verbal, physical and emotional abuse that she has gone through. It is more than enough to screw with someone's brain and make them do things that they might not otherwise. When it comes to her son Kunj, she is highly possessive of him. Why? Because he is the only one who has ever cared about her well-being. He has seen the way that Manohar has abused Usha and he absolutely hates it. This is the man who has offered to take Usha away from the Sarna household so that she doesn't have to suffer anymore. Of course Usha loves Anand, but I doubt he has ever said something to her about the abuse that is always inflicted on her. We have only ever seen Kunj do so. Hence, when Kunj was being forced to get married against his wishes, she absolutely hated it. She had put all her will power and had finally started to take action in doing something right for her child. Add on top of it, when Twinkle accused Kunj of trying to rape her, Usha absolutely hates Twinkle. It doesn't matter to Usha if the misunderstanding has been cleared. The fact remains that for a period of time Kunj was accused of doing something incredibly despicable and had his reputation, his name, and his head be lowered in shame. He was pleading to his family to believe him but no one would. That absolutely broke her heart. To be placed in a position where she is feeling helpless to the point that she cannot do anything to help the one child who is willing to do anything for her.

The torture that she inflicts upon Twinkle is of a backwards mentality, but it all sprouts from the deep resentment from what Twinkle did. Regardless of what anyone says, Kunj hasn't whole heartedly accepted Twinkle. The statement that Usha keeps repeating, "Twinkle is merely taking advantage of Kunj's good nature" is absolutely true. She did so before the marriage through the whole affair with Yuvi, then again when they were getting married and now post-marriage too. Of course we all have seen Twinkle make tremendous sacrifices and do incredible feats for Kunj (saving his life countless amount of times), but she never does understand him. She always reverts to doing what she wants regardless of what his opinion is on the matter. It is fine to have your own independence post marriage, but there comes a time when you need to begin to compromise in the relationship. Usha has been compromising all her life and Twinkle hasn't compromised once. It is a clash of views, ethics, and beliefs in both saas/bahu and it is this dynamic that has put their relationship in a highly volatile state.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

asmaanixx thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
index

preview : page one
fairandlovely thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
A very well articulated and beautifully written post 👍🏼

I am glad that you have not thrashed Nikki and Usha,as people typically do to the vamps or partially grey characters of a show.
Although I am not supporting what Usha is doing,but I can totally understand where she is coming from.
Kunj is the apple of her eyes. And she has witnessed numerous times when he landed in a soup because of Twinkle. Later on,may be it was Twinkle,who had saved him,but the truth is he landed in that position because of her. Kunj is a grown up man,and he has taken the decision of marrying Twinkle himself,although under Manohar's pressure,so he should take the responsibility. But Usha being his mother,has this urge to protect her child. As much as we deny,but it is a fact that,how old we might grow,but for our parents,we are still kids. So although I don't support Usha,but I do get her POV
.Ragini. thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Unres
This was mind blowing. 
Idk how u do it. The way you explained each character was amazing. You made me see Nikki and Usha in a whole new light. 
I had never thought of Nikki's actipns from that point of view. and you added a whole new perspective to usha as a character. Loved it. 
You also reminded me as to why i admored anita and leela in the beginning. 

Gur you nailed it. 

Edited by .Ragini. - 8 years ago
_Ridz_ thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Gur you are so good ... This was amazing 🤗
hailly thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Amazing post beautiful analysis loved it.
Queeen thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 7
Gur i read this 2 time  but i guess i have to read it more then 2 time becz this is mindblowing... brilient..will read 3 4 martba more in morning to get all the points clearly... and then will give my reply ..inshaAllah...
Soo Res Edited by Zawra - 8 years ago
PiyaKaira thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
This is brilliant! And you've written it to perfection as well. The way you're analyzing these women goes beyond the surface. Half of the women in TEI, we've always perceived as selfish, irritating and what not but there's a lot more to them than that. They have their strengths, which they don't always use correctly, but they do have them. I think most of all it's what you said about Anita that really impressed me. As big of a b*tch as she it, we have to admit that she had done a sh*t load to get to where she is. Once again this is an amazing idea and I'm excited to see what you do with it. 
3dancelover thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Alright first off you write beautifully let me tell you that.  Each and everything is explained wonderfully.   Tashan E Ishq writers have done a great job in showing us a variety of women.  Anita and Leela show independent living after their spouse dies.  Well Leela I don't know now since RT is back but whenever she speaks up I love it.  Bebe is a pure gem, she is TwiNj shipper like us 😆.  Her values are where they need to be.  Coming to Nikki I was upset when she left but now that you put it that way it makes sense why she would do that.  I do not like Usha because she is hypocritical even though she loves her son she doesn't understand he wants Twinkle to be his wife and Twinkle has done the best for their family.  The day she realizes will be the day she regrets.

Have you thought of analyzing Alisha? Just a thought

Edited by 3dancelover - 8 years ago
papu24011999 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Let me just tell you one thing first...you are an amazing writer...the way you described each character was so perfect... this post really changed my vie about them...especially anitha's...thank you for such a wonderful post...loved itEdited by papu24011999 - 8 years ago