Girl=tomboy(sure); boy=sissy(NO?)

sowmyaa thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Common notion in our society is that it is ok for a girl to be Tomboy but not ok for a boy to be a sissy. If a boy wants to dress up princess for Halloween he is not allowed to by parents or criticized by society but if a girl wants to be a pirate or some masculine figure she is not criticized. Is this our double standards? Do we teach our kids when they are young that it's not ok for boys to have feminine taste, but ok for girls to be tomboy? What do you think?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Majority thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
We worship strength and worship the victor
Man is strong and is therefore worshippable
Hence emulating a man is acceptable

Women are weak and fragile
We do not worship weakness and fragility
Hence it's not OK to imitate a woman

Majority thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

Your 'new wing' order has been cancelled!

😆   ðŸ˜†   ðŸ˜†   ðŸ˜†
bhilwara thumbnail
Do we teach our kids when they are young that it's not ok for boys to have feminine taste, but ok for girls to be tomboy? What do you think?
Kids should be allowed to play with whatever they want to, be a Barbie or a monster truck. I bet though most of boy would pick trucks and girls would go for a Barbie. Is there a genetic reasons behind it?

But I agree, tomboyish behavior has more social approval than young boys displaying femininity. From the very early years of humankind, we have established very specific set of behavioral norms for both the genders. Male role of earning bread and protecting the family has been glorified over female role of maintaining and looking after the family. There're obvious physical and emotional differences between male and female to justify these roles but somehow I don't know exactly why male duties were glorified over that of female considering their equal importance. Anyway, just to give a modern twist to this situation, now we have coined a term "gay man" to the males who display girlish behavior hence it has become pejorative and insulting considering their social acceptance.
Majority thumbnail

Originally posted by: navi18

...... i dunno if any guy wants to b sissy but....

Actually the term "sissy" itself is derogatory - if we called effiminate chaps tomdame (or jerrybabe) perhaps they would not be as looked down upon.
IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Nice topic!!!

But I really wonder if there are any normal men intersted in dressing up like ladies really( in fancy dress or party its a different issue).It really looks very odd if we see man in woman's attire .But it does'nt look that much odd if a woman is in man's attire.

Jatayu ji!!! Maa Shakthi will cut your wings for saying women are weak.May be you were referring to the word Abala ( Who does'nt have strength).Abala is a synonym for Female according to Manuvadi's.

Let me tell you woman is not Abala is Sabala( good strength).

Men cannot fit into the shoes (not shoes hope all of u understand) of Women.Even if they try to enact they cannot retain their originality and here comes the problem whereas woman puts on man's attire but does'nt loose her originality,her attitude and her speaking,walking style.But this does'nt happen in the case of men who try to put woman's costumes they finally end up .... like bobby darling !!!!

Cheers,

Mythili

Sharmii thumbnail

Originally posted by: Jatayu

We worship strength and worship the victor
Man is strong and is therefore worshippable
Hence emulating a man is acceptable

Women are weak and fragile
We do not worship weakness and fragility
Hence it's not OK to imitate a woman

No more pants for me! 😆

sowmyaa thumbnail
Navi...yes, some boys do dress up in girls attire in halloween, but i was talking to my coworker other day and he said he 4 year old wanted to be a princess and i was so disappointed and then convienced him to be a navy captain or something....😕.... so i have seen parents here asking their kids to explore their creative side and on other hand when something like this happen he does not want his baby boy to dress up like princess 😕
TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Personally I disapprove of both...

Call me old fashioned but for me pink is for girls and blue is for boys...and thats the way it should be!! 😛
Q.What do you call a 'Tomboy'?
A.'Complete woman'!

so now we know....