Siya Ke Ram

Why was Siya coerced to leave Ayodhya?

TheAphrodite thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 8 years ago
As popular texts say ,Lord Ram had to send sita away to maintain the sanctity of his position as a king , I have a question though but then when he does that doesn't he violate the vows he had taken during marriage? Raghuvanshi's are obliged to fulfill their promises "Raghukul Reet Sada Chali Aayi Pran Jaye Par Vachan Naa Jayee" So by breaking his promise of being by her side and protecting her in all the ups and downs of life , isn't this situation contradicting the purpose of showing people to lead a DHARMIC Life ? 
When Lord Ram gave up on his Pati Dharm for Rajya Dharm? 
Edited by TheAphrodite - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheAphrodite thumbnail
Please do answer this question..
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
On a more serious note, Lord Rama usually gets the flak for 'abandoning' his wife, that too when she was carrying his child. 
IMHO, he didn't do anything un-husband- like while sending Sita away. He acted in the best manner he could- protecting both his wife and the dignity of the throne he sat on. The reasons why I say so are as follows-

OK, some people in Ayodhya were gossiping about the purity of his wife's character. There was nothing he could do about it. He cannot shut people 's mouths. 

He also knows that eventually Sita will also come to hear about the gossip and this was the kind of idle talk which will only increase with the passage of time, not diminish. Would it do good for Sita, in her state of pregnancy to be listening to what each Tom, Dick and Harry had to say about her character.

If Rama was worried about his wife, he was even more worried about his unborn child. What would it's condition in the womb be, if its mother was worried, dejected and upset? 

By sending Sita away, he ensured that she would at least not get to hear the latest on the gossip front. 

He does not   abandon her in the middle of no where. He specifically instructs Lakshmana to leave her near Valmiki's ashram, certain that she would be given sanctuary there.

And the Chakravarti Maharaja that he is, wouldn't his spies have come and told him about Sita's safe arrival in the ashram, the subsequent birth of his sons?

Rama knew that Valmiki's word was the law in his ashram and the rishi certainly would not permit permit people engaging in idle gossip. Moreover the pure and spiritually charged environment of the ashram would have been a far better place for Sita to spend the remainder of her pregnancy that be cloistered in the royal palace with all its intrigues, plots and shadowy characters. Who could say that there won't be another Manthara?
Navyya thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
I refuse to believe that this happened...Sita abandonment is a myth IMO.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: NavyaKavya30

I refuse to believe that this happened...Sita abandonment is a myth IMO.

You are right. Seeta was never "abandoned". But she did live in  Valmiki's ashram where her sons were born and brought up.

The two are not the same.

Lakshmana was abandoned at the very end.

Seeta, never.

Get the difference ?
Edited by varaali - 8 years ago
TheAphrodite thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: varaali

On a more serious note, Lord Rama usually gets the flak for 'abandoning' his wife, that too when she was carrying his child. 

IMHO, he didn't do anything un-husband- like while sending Sita away. He acted in the best manner he could- protecting both his wife and the dignity of the throne he sat on. The reasons why I say so are as follows-

OK, some people in Ayodhya were gossiping about the purity of his wife's character. There was nothing he could do about it. He cannot shut people 's mouths. 

He also knows that eventually Sita will also come to hear about the gossip and this was the kind of idle talk which will only increase with the passage of time, not diminish. Would it do good for Sita, in her state of pregnancy to be listening to what each Tom, Dick and Harry had to say about her character.

If Rama was worried about his wife, he was even more worried about his unborn child. What would it's condition in the womb be, if its mother was worried, dejected and upset? 

By sending Sita away, he ensured that she would at least not get to hear the latest on the gossip front. 

He does not   abandon her in the middle of no where. He specifically instructs Lakshmana to leave her near Valmiki's ashram, certain that she would be given sanctuary there.

And the Chakravarti Maharaja that he is, wouldn't his spies have come and told him about Sita's safe arrival in the ashram, the subsequent birth of his sons?

Rama knew that Valmiki's word was the law in his ashram and the rishi certainly would not permit permit people engaging in idle gossip. Moreover the pure and spiritually charged environment of the ashram would have been a far better place for Sita to spend the remainder of her pregnancy that be cloistered in the royal palace with all its intrigues, plots and shadowy characters. Who could say that there won't be another Manthara?

That Makes Sense , I'm not saying the Lord abandoned his wife. All I'm saying is , and the only thing that irks me is that WHAT DOES THIS SHOW ? How is this the DHARAM? So running away from the problem is the best way to lead life? CONSIDERING HOW the LORD WANTED TO EMPOWER WOMEN , Shouldn't he have stood up for Sita's chastity ? Sending her to Sage Valmiki's aashram was a wise decision agreed , but how is it kay'for anyone to question a woman's chastity? And that to in this case , a Siya ( a Goddess incarnate)  

Thank You Though For The Information :)
Edited by TheAphrodite - 8 years ago
TheAphrodite thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: varaali

You are right. Seeta was never "abandoned". But she did live in  Valmiki's ashram where her sons were born and brought up.

The two are not the same.

Lakshmana was abandoned at the very end.

Seeta, never.

Get the difference ?

Lakshmana was abandoned ? I don't know about this , didn't all the four brothers take Jal Samadhi?
Ramyalaxmi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: TheAphrodite

As popular texts say ,Lord Ram had to send sita away to maintain the sanctity of his position as a king , I have a question though but then when he does that doesn't he violate the vows he had taken during marriage? Raghuvanshi's are obliged to fulfill their promises "Raghukul Reet Sada Chali Aayi Pran Jaye Par Vachan Naa Jayee" So by breaking his promise of being by her side and protecting her in all the ups and downs of life , isn't this situation contradicting the purpose of showing people to lead a DHARMIC Life ? 

When Lord Ram gave up on his Pati Dharm for Rajya Dharm? 

Its a question of debate till-date. I have not come across any satisfying reply for this everlasting question. So I hereby go with my view
1. For a king, his personal life is of less important than the people.
2. For suryavamshi, they customs are more important. I agree he gave promise to sita, but Ram became King after returning from exile with his wife. So when Ram agreed to the terms and condition of King, in a sense Sita also bound to those terms. Hence its not only Ram's action of banishing Sita in which case she could have raised the question, it is her  duty as queen to satisfy or consider the people opinion.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@varali for the first time I am hearing a sensible answer on Sita abandonment and from the time I started watching SKR I had also gone along this line of thought.
@Aphrodite Ram was a husband and a king. He has to do both the duties. He had to protect his wife's dignity from waging tongues and at the same time need to ensure that some gossip mongers are isolated in society. Once the gossip spreads then he cannot do anything. But at that time when the normal praja see their king who has to leave his wife because of a gossip monger, they will obviously be angry with the gossip monger. And again when Ram keeps the golden statue of Sita for the Aswamedha the pain of the subjects is intensified that their king is denied a personal life with his wife and kids because of a gossip monger.
Yes Ram and Sita had to take pain twice to keep away gossip mongers. One due to vanvass and next separation.
Ram was showing the world what gossip mongers can do to a society through his personal life. And what all pains a person walking on the path of dharma has to take because of gossip mongers for no fault of theirs. It is for us people to understand the gossip mongers, isolate them and never give ourselves to the leeches plans. Because unknowingly we will be bringing pain to some innocents because of such idiots.

Ram Rajya had no place for gossip mongers and the king had to take really tough step to stop them.

But over the ages instead of isolating the gossip mongers for which it was done, this act is used by patriarchy for subjudicating woman telling a woman has to be abandoned if any question is raised on her chastity, while the one who raised the question goes scott free. 
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago
TheAphrodite thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: shruthiravi

@varali for the first time I am hearing a sensible answer on Sita abandonment and from the time I started watching SKR I had also gone along this line of thought.

@Aphrodite Ram was a husband and a king. He has to do both the duties. He had to protect his wife's dignity from waging tongues and at the same time need to ensure that some gossip mongers are isolated in society. Once the gossip spreads then he cannot do anything. But at that time when the normal praja see their king who has to leave his wife because of a gossip monger, they will obviously be angry with the gossip monger. And again when Ram keeps the golden statue of Sita for the Aswamedha the pain of the subjects is intensified that their king is denied a personal life with his wife and kids because of a gossip monger.
Yes Ram and Sita had to take pain twice to keep away gossip mongers. One due to vanvass and next separation.
Ram was showing the world what gossip mongers can do to a society through his personal life. And what all pains a person walking on the path of dharma has to take because of gossip mongers for no fault of theirs. It is for us people to understand the gossip mongers, isolate them and never give ourselves to the leeches plans. Because unknowingly we will be bringing pain to some innocents because of such idiots.

Ram Rajya had no place for gossip mongers and the king had to take really tough step to stop them.

Makes sense why the next avatar was of Sri Krishna.
Because in that avatar the Lord shows that there is a limit to dharam neeti in rajneeti . And..well that. 
But Honestly Ramayan has the saddest ending . 
Thank You , I understood the message finally :")