Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 8 years ago
I liked the movie but it's definitely flawed.

The film lacked intensity - with the exception of the hospital scene everything was TOO underplayed.

Also Priyankas character was too pretentious and unrealistic. No girl in Today's age who wants a divorce would act all coy and sharmili in a family meeting. Priyanka wasn't even crying when she told her parents she wanted a divorce - extremely unrealistic

The best thing about the film was Ranveer. I felt his character was the only one who had a very clear graph of growth!
Bad writing, poor direction, Anil Kapoor.
DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: QueenExpression

It did well? I thought boxoffice India declared it below average.

Well on Bw forum the yardstick is box office 
but ppl in circle, workplace n friends really like it n even discuss it randomly
PAcino thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Anony-mouse

Why does it seem frivolous? Dont people there face these issues? I mean we talk about affairs of so many actors/actresses in this very forum- guess what most of them live in Bandra!
Again, women empowerment- doesnt matter where you live/what you do- you do face social discrimination by virtue of being a woman. I dont get the rich people shouldnt be sad mentality at all! 

I mean as if if the poor patented being miserable!

No I am not talking about people..I am talking about sensitivity...Preaching by rich & powerful doesn't suffice...The fact that PC's character basically lies to her husband about pregnancy pills & seeks out divorce coz she doesn't LOVE her man & goes on kissing other men doesn't even completely describe how majority of women feel...imagine if a man was shown doing this...many women aren't (allowed to be) educated...have no option in life and are basically (perceived as) dependents on their husbands ...
This is just akin to KJo's take on infidelity in KANK...Just coz it happens doesn't make it symbolic..That's what we call in our work as Sampling error ! 

On the flip side, consider Queen how seamlessly & w/o political overtones was the women empowerment weaved into the narrative...It wasn't made to score brownie points...Rani chucks the douche' & stays single & doesn't feel the need to replace one man for another man in her life & does all that quietly w/o preaching!
While in Zoya's film PC's character is always making eyes w/ FA's character & the fact that her husband is not an ideal person seems rather convenient...The scene where he threatens PC seems to come as a bolt from the blue...that's rushed screenwriting!
PAcino thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Shaitan-Haiwan

I liked the movie but it's definitely flawed.

The film lacked intensity - with the exception of the hospital scene everything was TOO underplayed.

Also Priyankas character was too pretentious and unrealistic. No girl in Today's age who wants a divorce would act all coy and sharmili in a family meeting. Priyanka wasn't even crying when she told her parents she wanted a divorce - extremely unrealistic

The best thing about the film was Ranveer. I felt his character was the only one who had a very clear graph of growth!

That's coz that one character appears in most of Farhan & Zoya's movie...
Similar in various aspectsto Aamir's character in DCH ,Hrithik's in Laqshya, & Farhan's own in ZNMD..
So you see Kjo ain't the only one who's milking it!
JustMySelf thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
ddd was upper class satire bt it went slow at some places..
specially pc's story was bit slow like an ambitious woman
would be such a doormat wife or such a docile daughter is
really a mismatch of portrayal.besides pc is shown to decide
for divorce once farhan returns..as if she would otherwise
have hung around with that bloated ego hubby n equally
don quixote of imaginary illness MIL 😆
had they shown she wants to get rid of her hubby as she
could take a clear stand to dump the douchebag for he
being simply unfit n unworthy of her then the script would have
justified her own self worth more ..bt as she chose to dump him after
farhans arrival it appeared like oh daddy i cant be alone in this
big dark world  type whining n so the ship sunk 😆
Anony-mouse thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: PAcino

No I am not talking about people..I am talking about sensitivity...Preaching by rich & powerful doesn't suffice...The fact that PC's character basically lies to her husband about pregnancy pills & seeks out divorce coz she doesn't LOVE her man & goes on kissing other men doesn't even completely describe how majority of women feel...imagine if a man was shown doing this...many women aren't (allowed to be) educated...have no option in life and are basically (perceived as) dependents on their husbands ...
This is just akin to KJo's take on infidelity in KANK...Just coz it happens doesn't make it symbolic..That's what we call in our work as Sampling error ! 

On the flip side, consider Queen how seamlessly & w/o political overtones was the women empowerment weaved into the narrative...It wasn't made to score brownie points...Rani chucks the douche' & stays single & doesn't feel the need to replace one man for another man in her life & does all that quietly w/o preaching!
While in Zoya's film PC's character is always making eyes w/ FA's character & the fact that her husband is not an ideal person seems rather convenient...The scene where he threatens PC seems to come as a bolt from the blue...that's rushed screenwriting!

A story is about certain people- it can never be about you, me and everybody. Not everyone is going to find every story relatable. So if the treatment is fancy- why that should be work against the movie, I dont understand  (and clearly it did since the overwhelming majority on this thread seems to think that its pretentious)...

About Priyanka crying- I think her back story and her character kind of made it clear that she was the non emotional/non confrontational one in the family. The one who kind of looked at her insane/dysfunctional/self absorbed/always bickering family and decided I dont want this for myself. She starts out on her own and tries to create a path thats her own. Her heart always belonged to FA. The fact that the marriage isnt working is obvious from the first RB scene. the constant belittling by the MIL, the but you are a woman and you must make babies refrain from the husband- since she didnt shut them up or put them in their place on the dining table- i didnt find it hard to believe that she wouldnt cry or be openly expressive later on either. Both she and Ranveer are shown to be escapists. The fact that they both knew about their fathers infidelities and yet kept quiet so as to get what they want (plane, money etc). 

Anyway- it worked for me and I didnt mind the too many characters. They all had their own stories and not necessarily move along Ranveer/Priyanka's story. Everyone knows the loud/obnoxious friend, the show off NRI aunty, the covetous relative, the embarrassed by their parents kids etc etc. Like I said I havent seen many ensemble movies work in Bollywood because we are used to side characters moving the plot along. However that was not the case in DDD and thats why most people found it overcrowded and boring/repetitive.

The film reminded me of my community . Too much fake and artifical behavior . I loved Ranveer . He was the best part . The climax was lame . Also apart from Gallan Goodiyan the songs sucked . I would say tho I don't think the film was well put together .
_symphony thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
too much screen time to unimportant people
Zoya got confused between whether to show family bonding more or story of two modern day couples and hence ended up jumbling everything

Basically the film lacked direction...it seemed like going nowehere with random (though meaningful) scenes put together.

And ofcourse a badly chopped climax. 

Everthing was so half-baked. 
Her-mion-e thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I think climax
and Ranveer - Anu didn't had any chemistry may be much lesser sc time was given to their story