Saddam’s Fate - Page 3

Poll

Do you think he will be sentenced to death?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ishan2003 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 17 years ago
i dont feel sorry for saddam but he should not be hung...life imprisonment is good enough...he might have killed a lot of people but death is not the way out.Edited by ishan2003 - 17 years ago
noorejahaan thumbnail
Didn't Saddam Hussain say that he wanted to be killed by firing squad, if he was to receive a death sentence? I was wondering why the court made the decision to have him hanged..I mean, he is going to die either way, so why not let him die the way he wants to die..? 😕
IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Saddam should not be executed: UN human rights expert

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Source: PTI

Blog this

New York: An independent United Nations human rights expert has cast doubts on the legitimacy and credibility of the tribunal which sentenced ousted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein to death and asked authorities not to carry out the judgement.

Leandro Despouy, Special Rapporteur on Independence of Judges and Lawyers, also expressed concern about the consequences of the judgment, saying in a statement that it will "contribute to deepening the armed violence and religious and political polarisation in Iraq."

Despouy urged the Iraqi authorities not to carry out the death sentence, saying this would represent a "serious legal setback for the country" while standing in open contradiction to the growing international tendency to abolish capital punishment.

In a separate statement, the top UN human rights official called on the Iraqi authorities to observe a moratorium on executions and demanded that Baghdad should fully respect the right of appeal of Hussein and other defendants sentenced to death.

"A credible appeals process is an essential part of fair trial guarantees," UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Louise Arbour said. "This is particularly important in this instance, in which the death penalty has been imposed."

"I hope the Government will observe a moratorium on executions," Arobur added.

United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan did not issue a separate statement but his spokesman said Annan fully associated with what Arbour said.

http://content.msn.co.in/News/International/InternationalPTI _071106_1511.htm

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

Nice article Mythili...but where was this Human Rights expert when Saddam killed hundreds of thousands of people. Where are they now while dozens of people are killed every day in Iraq?

That's what  I'm also thinking and broke my head finally!!!

chatbuster thumbnail

Nice article Mythili...but where was this Human Rights expert when Saddam killed hundreds of thousands of people. Where are they now while dozens of people are killed every day in Iraq?

haha, i really wonder about that. 

btw, hadn't the administration told us that the iraqi army in 1990 had starved and tortured those kuwaiti babies? remember all those 'photo-shoots' on TV? now that bit of madison avenue packaging was also true, wasn't it? 😛

friend, these guys have the technology and the marketing skill to make even your biggest saint look like the devil reincarnate. if they want, they can make any of the BJP and Congress leaders out as the biggest criminals and mass murderers in history. they dont even have to go find someone actually bad. it's all in the packaging 😉

advil thumbnail

Hello Guys, just couldn't stop myself from commenting. Saddam killed hundreds /thousands of people -agreed. The on going Iraq war has killed more number of people than that. Does that mean - the brain behind the war- The big Boys went all out to wage this war despite being told repeatedly by UN and other nations to hold back, needs to face the same fate too??  Haven't they been the cause of enough and more deaths-does that qualify them also as offenders?

Edited by adi_0112 - 17 years ago
Groovychick thumbnail
Hey guys..Guess what?? In school we are studying crime and punishment in our R.E-Religious Education lesson..ermm..we study Catholicism for our GCSE and our teacher told us to write 5 points for and against the Saddam Hussain incident..and about him being hanged..can someone help me pleash? 😳

Soo sorry if this is not allowed.. Am just kinda stuck on the against points..I can't think of anything other than only God has the right to take a life..no human has the right to do this..😕

Tina xx
chatbuster thumbnail

I doubt very much that the reports of Saddams atrocities were works of Hollywood CGI.

The testimonies of Kurds in Saddam trial were quite gruesome.

same kind of "testimony" we had when they paraded the "made in madison avenue" kuwaiti babies? that travesty was happening right on the floor of the senate. this trial on the other hand was in a kangaroo court where the credibility has gotta be a lot less.

there's something called "winner's justice". winner gets to write history and present "facts". for example, had the US lost WWII, wonder what the Japanese wld have to say about those atomic bombs.

anyway, good that we have the "entire" story now. we did need the administration to inform us as to his atrocities, atrocities we somehow did not know he had committed all those years he was in bed with them. yaar, i take people who can turn overnight with some skepticism. koi doodh ka dhula naheen hai, not even the kurds who are the new-found flavor of the day. in any case, it's nice to know that we can learn so much about "killing fields" from the kissinger realpolitik-type fellas, no?😛

Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago
chatbuster thumbnail

haha, good that we at least got a bad guy to hang for the war. public's gotta get some satisfaction, no? never mind that the reason to go to war in the first place was to get those WMDs, not to hang bad guys. after all, there are bad elements all over. no, public would not have had any of the other stuff back then. but anyways, all's well that ends well, no? 😛
SmarterDesiKid thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Is the Nuclear Weaopons the ONLY reason of this war?? 😕