Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

velun

Groupbie

velun

Posted: 03 November 2006 at 10:07am | IP Logged

Farmers Deaths and what is the state doing?

Every day we hear that farmers in one or the other state have died.

Is this going to continue?

Will there never be hope for these poor farmers?

Please let us come out with some solutions.

Thank you,

Velu

PS: Another favorite topic of discussion between me and my mentor

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Farmers Deaths" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 24 February 2007 at 10:08am | IP Logged
Cry
We discuss about several issues which are really not really important.Hope we throw somelight on this issue sincerely!!!
Nice post Velun ji!!!

I will come back add my views on this.
In my state this issue of farmer suicides is really a tragic issue!!!
regards,
Mythili

souro

souro

Posted: 24 February 2007 at 11:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by velun

Forgive me if I sound harsh but I don't think the farmers are helping their cause any by committing suicide. Just two days back I read two farmers in West Bengal had committed suicide because their potato crop was destroyed by Potato Blight disease. Excuse me but I don't think this is any reason at all. Fine, so your crop has been destroyed but that doesn't mean it's the end of the world, and if you make it out to be like the end then it's your own fault. Sorry, but nobody can help you. These farmers always come up with the same old excuse,'We are farmers, we don't know anything else than farming', well duhhh..... everybody's good at one thing only. We don't expect you to know different trades but you can always learn or atleast send your child to learn something different. When someone decides to commit suicide, that means he/she has already given up, so, why should other people whine after they die?? They didn't even bother to try in the first place. You can't always hope for the govt. to provide subsidy or write off your loan. 

The state on its part should try to educate these farmers to create more oppurtunity for them. Another thing that the govt. should take care of is the menace of the illegal money lenders who charge as high as 10-20% interest per month.

Whether these incidents will continue or not will depend on how much these farmers are willing to change, in the process helping themselves and how much interest the govt. shows in spreading education.

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 24 February 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

Forgive me if I sound harsh but I don't think the farmers are helping their cause any by committing suicide. Just two days back I read two farmers in West Bengal had committed suicide because their potato crop was destroyed by Potato Blight disease. Excuse me but I don't think this is any reason at all. Fine, so your crop has been destroyed but that doesn't mean it's the end of the world, and if you make it out to be like the end then it's your own fault. Sorry, but nobody can help you. These farmers always come up with the same old excuse,'We are farmers, we don't know anything else than farming', well duhhh..... everybody's good at one thing only. We don't expect you to know different trades but you can always learn or atleast send your child to learn something different. When someone decides to commit suicide, that means he/she has already given up, so, why should other people whine after they die?? They didn't even bother to try in the first place. You can't always hope for the govt. to provide subsidy or write off your loan. 

The state on its part should try to educate these farmers to create more oppurtunity for them. Another thing that the govt. should take care of is the menace of the illegal money lenders who charge as high as 10-20% interest per month.

Whether these incidents will continue or not will depend on how much these farmers are willing to change, in the process helping themselves and how much interest the govt. shows in spreading education.

So WOW wows me again and have nothing more to add!

souro

souro

Posted: 24 February 2007 at 7:09pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

So WOW wows me again and have nothing more to add!

QT you should read the ode by Tisha, it says no 'Yup' or 'I agree'. Please give your views. I'll add some more to support mine and to encourage more views:

1) After Independence many Zamindars lost everything, if they had simply committed suicide where they would be today. They moved on and today some of them are doing well while some are doing not so well but all of them have tried and lived.

2) Have the farmers ever thought about the countless youths in India who are jobless or are doing odd jobs from time to time. If all of them start to commit suicide, nobody will have time to look at what the farmers are doing.

Edited by souro - 24 February 2007 at 7:10pm

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 24 February 2007 at 7:10pm | IP Logged

Souro ji! I don't agree with your views!! I will come back in 1 hour after having my break fast and edit this post!!

souro

souro

Posted: 24 February 2007 at 8:17pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Souro ji! I don't agree with your views!! I will come back in 1 hour after having my break fast and edit this post!!

Mythiliji I'm still waiting for your reply after 1 hr 5 mins. Tongue

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 24 February 2007 at 8:50pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Forgive me if I sound harsh but I don't think the farmers are helping their cause any by committing suicide. Just two days back I read two farmers in West Bengal had committed suicide because their potato crop was destroyed by Potato Blight disease. Excuse me but I don't think this is any reason at all.

Fine, so your crop has been destroyed but that doesn't mean it's the end of the world, and if you make it out to be like the end then it's your own fault. Sorry, but nobody can help you. These farmers always come up with the same old excuse,'We are farmers, we don't know anything else than farming', well duhhh..... everybody's good at one thing only. We don't expect you to know different trades but you can always learn or atleast send your child to learn something different. When someone decides to commit suicide, that means he/she has already given up, so, why should other people whine after they die?? They didn't even bother to try in the first place. You can't always hope for the govt. to provide subsidy or write off your loan. 

Souro ji! I don't agree with your views!! I will come back in 1 hour after having my break fast and edit this post!! I'm back with my answers!!

• Life is a precious thing and one does'nt try to commit suicide for silly reasons.I don't support the people who commit suicide but life is the precious thing any one does'nt try to lose very easily!!!
  • Farming is not just like writing software code for a program.It is the Profession which is largely dependent on external factors.Say, Fariming is not dependent only on the
  1. Efficiency of the farmer
  2. Fertility of the land
  3. Techniques adopted by the farmer
  4. Attitude of the farmer

but it is dependent on the following factors also

1. The climatic conditions (like rain ) ,basically farmers need ample supply of water to their crops.
  2. Good Pesticides for the crops
  3. good amount of money necessary for the process of agriculture.
  4. Power Supply

So what should a government do with the above factors!!! Here are my points :

1. If the climatic conditions are not supportive,if there is no rain,government should use proper measures to store the water in dams which are basically meant for irrigation and supply the water to the farms in required times.
  2. Government should supply good quality power to them atleast for 4 hours continously!! Its really horrible to imagine the condition of power supply in villages.Farmers are ready to pay the current bills but dirty governments don't supply good power atleast for 4 hours proeprly.The power whatever they get is not proepr with fluctuations and subsequently their water pumps and motors get burned and this is another misery.
  3. Government should ensure supply good quality of seeds.Several times seeds are sown at the time reeping they don't yield any crops,these seeeeds are fake variety of seeds!!
  4. Pesticides!!! What the hell do the research people in agricultural universities are doing!!! They should find the current trends in the diseases of crops and give proper pesticides not freely atleast for subsidy!!
  5. Loans for the farmers!!! Government does'nt give proper loans ,even it gives they are not given for right and necessary farmers!! In india every politician claims he is farmer!!So common farmer goes to loans from other sources like mircro finance and all ,they feel they can pay the loans if they get the crops that year!!!

So if they fail to get the crops they don't have any option except for death iff the govt does'nt protect them.Farmers are not beggars ,so they have self esteem so they cannot beg or do daily wage works!!!

This is the reason farmers are dying,governement should be blamed for not considering the interst s of farmers!!!

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.