Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pradarshak thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
We, Indians,in India have a mentality to slow down after a certain age. Bengalis usually wear saris, and my elder sister who is in her thirties feels uncomfortable to even wear a salwar-kameez after her marriage(may be she is exceptional). But I have also seen mostly ladies in 40's and 50's feel shy about wearing a salwar-kameez. Sometimes I don't know I have this confusion if that's a sacrifice to be a wife or a mother/the embarrassment or they prefer to be like that. May be it will take few more generations to change the dress code.

Note: I am not against sari. But I think for day-to-day work salwar-kameez is more comfortable. Edited by Pradarshak - 17 years ago
Thought provoking topic Sowmya. My inquest is not limited to dressing but bit more grave. Do parents (divorcee/widow) have right to choose a partner after they finish all their responsibilities? That is once their kids settle. Will the kids be broadminded enough to accept that?
bhilwara thumbnail
Age Limitations?!

We can find root cause of these behaviors in the texts of Hindu Vedas, Upanishads and Epics, where sages have established four kartavyas of a human life.
Brahmacharyashram, meaning from age 1-25 you study.
Grihasthashram, from 25-50 you stay married & enjoy family life.
Vanaprasthashram, from 51-75 you detach from family.
Sanyasashram, after 75 you go to jungle and sit under the tree till u drop dead!
And over the thousands of years we've been preached to follow this surefire plan. Society today may not be literally following these guidelines strictly but still....

lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: bhilwara

Age Limitations?!

We can find root cause of these behaviors in the texts of Hindu Vedas, Upanishads and Epics, where sages have established four kartavyas of a human life.
Brahmacharyashram, meaning from age 1-25 you study.
Grihasthashram, from 25-50 you stay married & enjoy family life.
Vanaprasthashram, from 51-75 you detach from family.
Sanyasashram, after 75 you go to jungle and sit under the tree till u drop dead!
And over the thousands of years we've been preached to follow this surefire plan. Society today may not be literally following these guidelines strictly but still....

So true in the west also in the areas of marketing and statistics when they use parameters such as 18-35..

sowmyaa thumbnail
Agree with you Bhilwara ji. WE can see where it is coming from. And like you said we still follow it though not strictly but still....

Lighthouse, marketing and statistics are ok. But the way one is expected to behave, dress and live as per age is what I was talking about. Edited by sowmyaa - 17 years ago
IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Yeah!!! I think we have some concept called renunciation.But I really wonder what do people renounce and when do they renounce.Is renunciation directly proportional to age? or is it proportinal to mental age!!!

I 've renounced my sleep😆 !!! I think I'm becoming Einstein day by day.He used to forget to sleep in the night somany times!!!

Desi_Chik thumbnail
I think it doesn't matter what you do at what age.Women shouln't owrry about it. If you're happing doing whatever stick to it. Just because other people think it deviant and well don't like it, ignore them. Its the 21st century people and traditions have modernised in a way.
jasmine_anih thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I think its a matter of us surrendering to the limitations of age. For example my my mother is the eldest of 4 sisters. She never danced at a wedding except the couples dance at her son's wedding. If my mom were to dance I am sure I would cringe with dread.

But her sister who is in her forties-- that woman dances at everyones wedding. She lookes about 28 and no one seems to think any less of her. So she some how manages to escape sterotypes but I think it is because she doesn't resign herself to it. My mother on the other hand is very matronly and she does succumb to the defined roles.
If someone passed a comment to my aunt about acting her age she would probably have a smart retort. While my mom would probably re examine her actions and fester.
pure_choclate thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
wao...i se ( oh well ) u gotta follow the rules in ma religon its diff so i cant sya anything
simtara thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Perhaps I was brought up in a unique situation... My grandparents (residing in India) defy many of the limitations you are talking about. But they are not an anomoly in their society. Many people of the same age group also defy the so-called limitations.

The community my grandparents live in is composed of retired and elderly couples, most with grandchildren. Yet the community has a young and vibrant atmosphere. A group of the retirees is seen walking early in the morning, then heading off to do yoga and puja. Come evening time they are out for another walk.

At 73, and having gone through a few medical problems earlier in life, my grandfather is now one of the most fit men in the community due to his daily routine of walks, yoga and other activities.

My grandmother too goes on walks and does yoga with a group of women from the same community. While she prefers saris, I have seen her wear salwaar kameezes at a few occasions. I have seen my grandmother dance at weddings and enjoy herself very much.

Both are active members of their immediate community and the general society as well.

~~~~~~

I'll create a second post for the rest.