Book Talk

Indian authors?

TeekhiMishti thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
I just started "I too had a love story" from ravinder singh since i heard so many good reviews for it. Just through initial pages... I had a question... can't indian authors write on anything other than engineering...and love stories?? everything seems the same... every chetan bhagat book has almost the same flavor... same goes for durjoy*no offence to fans* The stories might be good/bad/average but why do they always need to be engineering background? Aint this another stereotype? Is this all indians do? study engineering, have unsuccessfull love stories and write books about them?

Can you guys suggest any good books by indian authors? I have only one till now I romantic- by rajeev jhaveri. Read this book years ago around the time I started reading, for some reason it has stuck to me throughout. Do give it a try if anyone is interested maybe finally i will get someone to discuss this with 😆 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Starwalkers thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Indian authors? I lost the courage to take up romance by Indian authors since Chetan Bhagat. No offence but not my type.
I think I'll give I romantic a try and let you know what I think. There is this book called I loved a street woman by Nitin Vinay Khare which is not based on an engineering backdrop. If you want something different by an Indian author try it. 
Edited by Destiny_rose - 8 years ago
TeekhiMishti thumbnail
And the most astonishing thing is chetan is the most famous indian author -_______- I don't even know why or how. Every book of his is so monotonous.

That sounds good. I'll add that to the infinite to be read list 🤣 I just wanted to discuss why the hell indian authors can't write something other than engineering and love stories -____-

India is the richest country in terms of culture and diverse people some amazing stories we can get from here.

I loved malgudi days ❤️
TeekhiMishti thumbnail
we need more books like malgudi days. 
Starwalkers thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
We need more authors like R.K Narayan. Have you read Pather Panchali? I read it when I was young, it wasn't  a love story but I loved that book.

I also liked God of Small Things.

CB is all hype. 

Rohinton Mistry, Aravind Adiga are the Indian author whose books I read.
Edited by Destiny_rose - 8 years ago
TeekhiMishti thumbnail
Originally posted by: Destiny_rose

We need more authors like R.K Narayan. Have you read Pather Panchali? I read it when I was young, it wasn't  a love story but I loved that book. Nahi will definitely give it a try though - adds to the never ending pile of to be read 🤣 

I also liked God of Small Things. 

CB is all hype. 

Agreed we need more authors like R.K.Narayan who show the real face of india. The beautiful diverse blend of people and the simple things that make life so special here ❤️ 

Rohinton Mistry, Aravind Adiga are the Indian author whose books I read. will look out for these 😆

TeekhiMishti thumbnail
Originally posted by: LoveFawad

I loved malgudi days!

It is definitely one of the must reads ❤️
-Nymeria- thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
The authors you've mentioned are popular amongst teens mostly and for some reason I never felt like reading them. 😆

There are plenty of good Indian authors, though.

I like reading Ruskin Bond. I've only read a few, light-hearted books by him, but I liked the light humour.
I also enjoy reading Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni and Jhumpa Lahiri (although they're both Indian-Americans).
shadesofme thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
if u want something from indian authors which is not love or engineering
they u should start with
chanikya's chant by ashwin sanghi ...very very well written
if u like that u can read his other two books

another one is immortals of meluha trilogy ...i love the second one

and the last one and most underestimated one is

Q & A  written by Vikas Swarup (this is the novel that was adapted in to slumdog millionaire)

he also wrote six suspects ---- this is the best novel of his and most underestimated work

i think there are so many authors but never got great response on the other hand people like chetan keeps on writing crap and gets all the limelight

TeekhiMishti thumbnail
Originally posted by: Nickel8

The authors you've mentioned are popular amongst teens mostly and for some reason I never felt like reading them. 😆 I apologize for the generation. The choices we make and the stuff we are crazy about as a generation shocks me at times 

There are plenty of good Indian authors, though.

I like reading Ruskin Bond. I've only read a few, light-hearted books by him, but I liked the light humour. heard the name. He is indian? kab kaise? 

I also enjoy reading Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni and Jhumpa Lahiri (although they're both Indian-Americans). adding to the list 🤣