Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 years ago
Preeti, Devki, I am with you completely on this.

Shyamala

Originally posted by: Coolpree

@ blue:  Akbar was not a one woman man.  That I can accept.  But Womaniser???  That implies a deep disrespect for women.  Just a cursery look at his life highlights how deeply he respects the women around him.  From the Sati incident, the power and respect his mother, aunt and wives held, from the religious freedom granted to his non muslim wives...It is impossible to use these insulting words for him.  
Just because he had a large Harem does not make him a womanizer. And by that same token, the size of his Harem and his repeated marriages does not in anyway negate the love he may have had for one of his earlier wives.  

Shah67 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
PS: Calling a ruler of Akbar's achievements and caliber a casanova and a womaniser is the most degrading, demeaning and insulting thing to say about him.
[/QUOTE]

Just clarifying, Prem did not say "womaniser" only "casanova". My fault. 
To me though, both pretty much mean the same. 

Devki
alffim thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Dear Shyamala Di!

Unfortunately, I have found only the "hounds of bascerville" in english

You should download this file and use bittorrent, later you shouldpen english subtitles

Edited by alffim - 8 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I am afraid I do not know how to use bit torrent, Zhanna, but I will try and get some technical help. Thank you for these links.

Shyamala Di

Originally posted by: alffim

Dear Shyamala Di!

Unfortunately, I have found only the "hounds of bascerville" in english

You should download this file and use bittorrent, later you shouldpen english subtitles

alffim thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Dear Shyamala Di!
These links gave my daughter, veryyy advanced user, but always she has a lot of work and little time to teach me, but I myself can't and  I don't know how use torrent ... 😳
Maybe later she can explain to me?
jayaks02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

@ blue:  Akbar was not a one woman man.  That I can accept.  But Womaniser???  That implies a deep disrespect for women.  Just a cursery look at his life highlights how deeply he respects the women around him.  From the Sati incident, the power and respect his mother, aunt and wives held, from the religious freedom granted to his non muslim wives...It is impossible to use these insulting words for him.  
Just because he had a large Harem does not make him a womanizer. And by that same token, the size of his Harem and his repeated marriages does not in anyway negate the love he may have had for one of his earlier wives.  

Yes - But the early 20s Akbar did go after women - A recorded evidence of he getting a lady divorced and marrying her is an example. He wanted Bez Bahadur' s companion also as he beauty stories were spread far and wide. But like in everything else, he evolved here - He did indeed changed may be after Salim's birth. It did bring in a groundedness in Akbar. And he also thought, learnt, observed and wanted to do good. His reforms in girl child are really far reaching.

Akbar is truly a destiny's child. In a span of 60 years, he has led a very very eventful life.

Greatness of the man is in his evolution.

Edited by jayaks02 - 8 years ago
jayaks02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

You bring up a very valid point. He is almost fawning in some sentences. Having said that. That seems to be the case for all biographies including Shah jehans. Luckily we have Badayunis counterview.
 While we can question Fazl  adulations/ descriptions,  the AN gives as insight as to how Akbar saw his life and legacy.   

So to me AN tells me a lot about Akbars's world view. Whether it was always right is open to interpretation.  I have been through Vol2, and 3 once.  Skipped over sometimes as it is a difficult read and to fully understand it I may have to read and read again 😲.  However inorder to understand Akbar well, reading his biography with his own outlook is I believe essential

Yes - I agree - This is how Akbar wanted future generations to see himself . This is what we can deduce. Surprisingly he keeps it almost clear of the harem, wives and anecdotes with wives.

That is one reason EKTA could make a serial like this. 😆
myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Pls pardon me Nathi Bai married him in 1569 not same year as Jodha but he married other princesses that year - will have to read book to find names. By mistake i missed typing NOT in between  

And i did not say Akbar was womanizer i said he was a casanova till his late 30s atleast and married many women and also took many women as secondary wife's and cocubbines into his harem. Akbar nama itself gives accounts of that.

I would not say that was bad for those times- all kings had many wives many cocubbines in those times that was the trend then. But of course Akbar's list of wives, cocubbines and secondary wife was incomparable to others as he started the state policy of matrimonial alliance for mughals

Akbar himself admitted at a later date that he did wrong by taking in women of mughal empire. And yes it is a great thing that a person understands his faults and tries to correct them.

Edited by myviewprem - 8 years ago
Shah67 thumbnail

Prem, whether Akbar had a love life or not is totally beside the point. The point is that when one throws information freely out there for everyone to read he or she must at least make sure that it is close to accurate.. if not 100% accurate. Even in your clarification you have wrong information. 

Heer Kunwar aka Jodha married Akbar in 1562. 
Akbar married the princesses of Jaisalmer and bikaner in 1570 or thereabouts. This is from the original source called the Akbarnama.

Telling people to refer to a fictional biography of Akbar  written by an European in the 21st century is not the best reference.

I rest my case.

Devki

PS: Calling a ruler of Akbar's achievements and caliber a casanova and a womaniser is the most degrading, demeaning and insulting thing to say about him.

Agree with you Preeti. Just because someone is not a one woman man, he is not a casanova ie womaniser in my POV.
To be successful in life even on an ordinary scale one needs discipline. Imagine how disciplined Akbar must have been to be able to expand and stabilise the Mughal Empire at a relatively young age?
He almost managed the Empire singlehanndedly since he was 22 years of age. Yes, he may have had more than one woman in his life but I still do not think it is right to call him by that name. 
For some reason many people think that a man has to be a casanova or what not in order to be an alpha male.😕 

Shah67 thumbnail

Yes - But the early 20s Akbar did go after women - A recorded evidence of he getting a lady divorced and marrying her is an example. He wanted Bez Bahadur' s companion also as he beauty stories were spread far and wide. But like in everything else, he evolved here - He did indeed changed may be after Salim's birth. It did bring in a groundedness in Akbar. And he also thought, learnt, observed and wanted to do good. His reforms in girl child are really far reaching.

Akbar is truly a destiny's child. In a span of 60 years, he has led a very very eventful life.

Greatness of the man is in his evolution.

Which young man wouldn't with half or even quarter of the chance that Akbar had? He was destiny's child but things do not just fall into someone's lap by chance even though many times it appears that super successful people have it easy. 
He must have been an extremely smart, hard working and disciplined person even at a very young age to be able to achieve what he did. Not by jumping in and out of beds(that is what calling someone a casanova implies).