anjali.nair

IF-Veteran Member

anjali.nair

Posted: 17 June 2005 at 8:46am | IP Logged
Special Bureau's mid-air drama
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   June 17, 2005

Shaheen Parkar
GROUND ZERO: Director Santram Varma perches himself on the bonnet with the camera before the take-off
Mid-air adrenaline pumping hi-jinks and ground zero drama. The Sony show CID Special Bureau combines both in the six-episode series, Bone Marrow, from June 20.

The shoot has left both director Santram Varma and actress Shveta Salve, who stars as journalist Sunidhi, on a high.

Literally. Both were airlifted 40 feet above ground for some high-octane drama.

Varma ensconced himself on the bonnet of the car (which was dented so that he could seat himself in it) while Salve had to jump out of the vehicle to save her life.

Director Santram Varma and his camera are visible on the car bonnet
This daredevilry sequence, incorporated by producer B P Singh, adds to the thrill and novelty elements in the show.

"I was not at all scared," says Varma who has earlier directed Rihhaee and several Balaji shows. "In fact, we all had great fun and enjoyed the strong wind blowing at that height," he says.

The shoot was held at the Film City helipad and co-ordinated by PK, one of the assistants of Bollywood action director Allan Amin.

Salve, too, had no fear of the height. "I have done bungee jumping; this was akin to it. I had to jump out of the car from a height of 40 feet. It was fun doing the stunt. The only thing that bothered me was the smelly car with all the props and harness in it."

Sunidhi
(Shveta Salve) gets the ride of her life as she performs her stunt
This series has Yash Tonk make an appearance in the show playing a baddie called Billa who kidnaps Sunidhi. He takes her to a deserted place, knowing that ACP Ajatshatru (Anoop Soni) will follow suit. His aim is to trap Ajatshatru.

He has the car, with Sunidhi in it, lifted to a height of 150 feet. His aim is to pass an electric current through that car when the cops try to rescue her, so that all get electrocuted instantly. Billa has also placed a time bomb in the car.

"An industrial crane lifted the car high in the air with Shveta sitting on the mat inside. I shot the scene myself by getting inside the bonnet space, holding the camera on my shoulder,"' says Varma.

"The riskiest part was when I moved towards the pulley of the crane and continued to shoot the scene as the Special Bureau team ascended the crane to reach the car. After Shveta is rescued and jumps off the car, the bomb explodes," adds Varma.

The bi-weekly Special Bureau opens long-forgotten frozen cases and also dwells on the personal life of the crack force members. 

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Special Bureau's mid-air drama" in CID forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top