High Court Issues Notice to Cops, Maharashtra Government on Hotel Raid

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 8 years ago
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/high-court-issues-notice-to-cops-maharashtra-government-on-hotel-raids-1209437?utm_source=ndtv&utm_medium=top-stories-widget&utm_campaign=story-6-http%3a%2f%2fwww.ndtv.com%2findia-news%2fhigh-court-issues-notice-to-cops-maharashtra-government-on-hotel-raids-1209437

High Court Issues Notice to Cops, Maharashtra Government on Hotel Raids

MUMBAI:  The Bombay High Court has asked the city police chief and the state government to file a reply on the raids on hotels conducted earlier this month, during which consenting couples were allegedly dragged out from rooms and humiliated.

The reply has to be filed by September 3, the court has said.

The high court's direction came in response to a petition seeking action against the police officers involved in the incident on August 6, which had triggered widespread criticism and charges of moral policing against the police.

The petition has also demanded the scrapping of criminal proceedings against the couples and the cancellation of the fine that has been paid.

Mumbai Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria had ordered an enquiry into the incident, which was to be conducted by Additional Commissioner of Police Fateh Singh Patil.

On August 6, the Malwani police had cracked down on the area's hotels and bars and fined several couples on charges of indecency under the archaic Bombay Police Act.

The police contended that they were taking action after the locals had complained about people getting drunk and misbehaving.

Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order), Deven Bharti had told NDTV, "We will not support it if our men have indulged in moral policing. But we should wait for the inquiry report."
Story First Published: August 20, 2015 23:46 IST
Please don't keep on opening threads just to post a newspaper article, use Tidbits/ Trivia thread for that purpose. I've earlier moved some of your threads for this reason. If you're opening a new thread, please ensure that you don't just post a newspaper article, but actually start off a debate and pose the relevant questions to do that.

For example:
Should anyone be allowed to do moral policing?
Indians get easily perturbed by drinking and PDA, is there a need for the society as a whole to become more tolerant?
Originally posted by souro

Please don't keep on opening threads just to post a newspaper article, use Tidbits/ Trivia thread for that purpose. I've earlier moved some of your threads for this reason. If you're opening a new thread, please ensure that you don't just post a newspaper article, but actually start off a debate and pose the relevant questions to do that.

For example:
Should anyone be allowed to do moral policing?
Indians get easily perturbed by drinking and PDA, is there a need for the society as a whole to become more tolerant?

What you're really saying is that people aren't smart enough to work out the issues raised by the articles posted! 

Personally I prefer to post the news item and wait for the reaction before wading in with my own views.
Originally posted by Deepthought

What you're really saying is that people aren't smart enough to work out the issues raised by the articles posted! 

Personally I prefer to post the news item and wait for the reaction before wading in with my own views.
Some articles can be debated on, not all. This one can be debated, which is why I have kept it open. But articles about NASA saying the world is not going to end in September has nothing to debate, hence I closed it. Even with topics where debate is possible, pose the question, otherwise it is not always clear on what line the OP wants the discussion to progress. For example, people might think that the apparent question here is whether police should indulge in moral policing? But then, the police commissioner has himself stated that police shouldn't do moral policing, so the debate will end right there. Therefore make the question/ questions clear instead of just depending on the reader's judgement.