Layalat ul Qadr The Destiny's Night

Posted: 8 years ago

(May Peace, Mercy and Blessings of Allah be on all of you)

Lail and Qadr both are Arabic words, means "Night" and "Power / Decree" respectively, so that means Laila-tul-Qadr means the "The Night of Power / Decree".

What  is the Special in  Layalat ul Qadr or  night of Power / Decree?

1)      In this very much blessed and important night all  the events of coming year are handed over
         to the angels thus, news of death, sustenance, Hajj, rain, disasters etc all are written and
         handed over to the relevant angels (Tafseer Ibn e Kathir). You can also call it "Night of
         Destiny" as Allah has mentioned it  about Lailat-ul-Qadr in Quran as following .

Ha, Meem. By the clear Book, Indeed, We sent it down during a blessed night. Indeed, We were to warn [mankind]. On that night is made distinct every precise matter - [Every] matter [proceeding] from Us. Indeed, We were to send [a messenger] As mercy from your Lord. Indeed, He is the Hearing, the Knowing.   (Quran 44: 1-6).

2)       The night holds a special importance for revelation of Quran on our Beloved Prophet
          Mohammad Peace be Upon Him.

Read! In the Name of your Lord, Who has created (all that exists)(Quran 96:1)

3)       Worshiping Allah in this night is better than 1000 months i.e. 83.3 years (with respect to
          reward) as Allah mentioned in Qur'an (97:3).  It means if we pray in this night we are not
          going to get reward of praying one night only but the reward for praying 1000 months. What
          may be better then praying only for one night and getting the highest reward of 1000
          months?   

4.       Allah informs us that this night is full of peace (and goodness from Allah) till the appearance
          of  Dawn. (Quran 97:5)

5.      Gabriel A.S and other  angles come on earth in this night by Allah's permission.

Brief description of Layalt ul Qadr

Verily! We have sent it (this Qur'an) down in the night of Al-Qadr (Decree)2. And what will make you know what the night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is?3. The night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (i.e. worshipping Allah in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months).4. Therein descend the angels and the Ruh [Jibrael (Gabriel)] by Allah's Permission with all Decrees, 5. Peace! (All the night, there is peace and Goodness from Allah to his believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn. (Quran 97).

Forgiveness of Sins

In sha' Allah (if Allah wills) All Sins will be forgiven for those who fast for Ramadan and prays out of sincere faith and hope for the best reward from Allah.

Narrated by Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) The Prophet (May peace be upon him) said, "Whoever fasted the month of Ramadan out of sincere Faith (i.e. belief) and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his past sins will be forgiven, and whoever stood for the prayers in the night of Qadr out of sincere Faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his previous sins will be forgiven." (Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 32, Number 231)

When to search for the night of  Laylat ul Qadr

Searching "Lailat ul Qadr" (the Night of Power /Decree) may in one of the odd numbered nights of the last ten nights  of Ramadan, i.e. 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th or 29th. So the one who wanted to be blessed and get the maximum reward must try to find out this night.

Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: He who is anxious to seek it (Lailat-ul-Qadr) should seek it in the last ten (nights of Ramadan).(Muslim , Book 006, Number 2622)

Salim b. 'Abdullah b. 'Umar (Allah be pleased with Him) reported that his father said: I heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: So far as Lailat-ul-Qadr is concerned, some persons among you have seen it (in a dream) in the first week and some persons among you have been shown that it is in the last week; so seek it in the last ten (nights). (Muslim, Book 006, Number 2620).

Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Seek it (Lailat-ul-Qadr) in the last (ten nights).If one among you shows slackness and weakness (in the earlier part of Ramadan), it should not be allowed to prevail upon him in the last week. (Muslim, Book 006, Number 2621).

Acts of Laylat ul Qadr

1)     Itikaf

2)     Prayer

3)     Reciting Qur'an

4)     Ponder on Quran and its meanings

5)     Any other good work like charity, sharing knowledge of religion

6)     Repentance and supplications

Special Supplication for Laylat ul Qadr

Prophet Mohammad Peace be upon him asked us to pray as following if we may find Lailat ul Qadr.
Transliteration:  "Allahumma innaka 'afuwwun tuhibbul 'afwa fa'fu 'annee"

Aisha (may Allah be pleased with Her) said: I asked the Messenger of Allah: 'O Messenger of Allah, if I know what night is the night of Qadr, what should I say during it?' He said: 'Say: O Allah, You are pardoning and You love to pardon, so pardon me.' "(Tirmadhi hadith # 3513 & Ibn e Majah hadith # 3850).

Signs of Lailat -ul-Qadr in Light of Ahadith (saying of Prophet Mohammad Peace be upon Him)

Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) reported: We were talking about Lailat-ul-Qadr in the presence of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) and he said: He who amongst you remembers (the night) when the moon arose and it was like a piece of plate (at the fag end of the month in a state of waning).(Muslim, Book 006, Number 2635).

Zirr b. Habaish (Allah be pleased with him) reported: I asked Ubayy b. Ka'b (Allah be pleased with him): Your brother (in faith) Ibn Mas'ud says: He who stands (for the night prayer) throughout the year would find Lailat-ul-Qadr, whereupon he said: May Allah have mercy upon him; (he said these words) with the intention that people might not rely only (on one night), whereas he knew that it (Lailat-ul-Qadr) is in the month of Ramadan and it is the twenty-seventh night. He then took oath (without making any exception, i.e. without saying Insha Allah) that it was the twenty-seventh night. I said to him: Abu Mundhir, on what ground do you say that? Thereupon he said: By the indication or by the sign which the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) gave us, and that is that on that day (the sun) would rise without having any ray in it.  (Muslim, Book 006, Number 2633).

'Abdullah b. Unais (Allah be pleased with him) reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: I was shown Lailat-ul-Qadr; then I was made to forget it, and saw that I was prostrating in water and clay in the morning of that (night). He (the narrator) said: There was a downpour on the twenty-third night and the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) led us in prayer, and as he went back, there was a trace of water and clay on his forehead and on his nose. He (the narrator) said: 'Abdullah b. Unais used to say that it was the twenty-third (night).  (Muslim, Book 006, Number 2631)

Abu Salama (Allah be pleased with her)reported: 'We discussed amongst ourselves Lailat-ul-Qadr. I came to Abu Sa'id al-Khudri (Allah be pleased with him) who was a friend of mine and said to him: Would you not go with us to the garden of date trees? He went out with a cloak over him. I said to him: Did you hear the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) making mention of Lailat-ul-Qadr? He said: Yes, (and added) we were observing i'tikaf with the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) in the middle ten days of Ramadan, and came out on the morning of the twentieth and the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) addressed us and said: I was shown Lailat-ul-Qadr, but I forgot (the exact night) or I was caused to forget it, so seek it in the last ten odd (nights), and I was shown that I was prostrating in water and clay. So he who wanted to observe i'tikaf with the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) should return (to the place of i'tikaf). He (Abu Sa'id al-Khudri) said: And we returned and did not find any patch of cloud in the sky. Then the cloud gathered and there was (so heavy) a downpour that the roof of the mosque which was made of the branches of date-palms began to drip. Then there was prayer and I saw the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) prostrating in water and clay till I saw the traces of clay on his forehead.
(Muslim, Book 006, Number 2628)

A Special Request to pray for Ghaza, Burma  and all sufferers around the globe.

PS: Thanks and Graphics credit to
cute00ish for helping in graphics and  Aahaana for the idea of making her contribute with graphics ๐Ÿ˜Š
PSS: You all are most welcome to share, no obligation.
PSSS: Thank you for reading, if you want to keep on reading my occasional posts, please add me in your buddy list.

some informational posts, if any one is interested to read

Significance of Blessed Month Ramadan

Allah's Sacred Month Muharram

CANCER-Fighting Spice Reduces Tumors by 81%-EDITED

Historical Facts about Lupercalia (Valentine day)

Some Similarities between Islam and Sikhism

Miracles: Travel of Isra (Night Journey) and Miraj (Ascension)

Lailat-ul-Qadr  Mubarak to all of you. May all of us find it. May Allah accept our fasts, and prayers. May ALLAH forgive our sins and shower blessings on us and may Allah guide us thorough all the life on right path Ameen. Lots of prayers and best wishes for all of you. You are also requested to remember me and my family in your precious prayers please.

any one interested in making graphics eid post, please let me know. graphics should be in blue red and green as i use these colors in posts and its better if quoting some Quran verse supplication and hadith. 

Edited by hukshila - 8 years ago

The Night of Qadr is a very great night in the blessed month of Ramadan. It is "the Night of Greatness."  In it, Allah brought down a great Book- the Qur'an.
. Allah says what means:

{Verily! We have sent it [the Quran] down on the Night of Decree (Laylat Al-Qadr). And what will make you know what the Night of Decree is? The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months. Therein descend the angels and the ruh[Gabriel] by Allah's Permission with all decrees. Peace... until the break of dawn.} (Al-Qadr 97:1-7)  

"This means that the descending of the angels increases during this night, due to the vast amount of its blessings. And, the angels descend along with the descent of blessing and mercy, just as they descend during the time when the Quran is recited. They encompass the gatherings in which Allah is remembered and spread their wings for the true seeker of knowledge, showing respect for him."

This night occurs only in Ramadan, since the Quran was revealed in it: {Verily, We have sent it [the Quran] down in the night of al-Qadr.} This means that its revelation from Allah to His prophet, Muhammad, began during that month.

What one does while seeking out Laylatul Qadr will vary from person to person. Praying the Isha prayer, the night prayer, and the Fajr prayer, the prayer at dawn, in congregation is important as is every minute in between. Some will then stand for hours in ritual prayer. Others will read or listen to the Quran being recited. Some will sit with their hands raised to the skies with tears falling from their eyes as their hearts tremble out of devotion. My recommendation would be to approach the night with an understanding that it is yours to gain from so what you put into it will yield you what you get out of it. There are so many different ways to benefit from this night, but making sure you are fully present is the first step in attaining that benefit.

Take a moment to break your mind free of any distraction that causes your heart to be shackled in anxiety or pain. Remove from yourself any feeling of emptiness or remorse that comes from having to put on a face that is not your own to gain acceptance from a society that won't take you as you are. Let your thoughts move away from those who can't look beyond the color of your skin, the texture of your hair, the accent that you speak with, or anything else that makes you beautiful. Don't chase after words that are unfamiliar to you but seek and speak with words that are sincerely your own. Be with those who give you hope and courage, who help you to be bold in your prayer. Forget the judgments and harshness of any who have lead you to believe that you cannot ask of your Creator for whatever your heart wishes. Don't inhibit yourself in anyway. God is Most Generous and Most Merciful, and we all are entitled to benefit from that generosity and mercy. You are going to stand in front of the Creator of the Heavens and the Earth, One who looks for a reason to accept from you, not push you away. Laylatul Qadr is for you to seek and benefit from -- don't let anyone, including yourself, take that away from you

Edited by cute00ish - 8 years ago

wish u all that
May Allah s.w.t purify our intentions and bless our time and energy this month, and may He write us from among those who are released from hellfire and grant us the reward of Laylatul Qadr. Ameen. - 

Great post kiran๐Ÿ‘
its good learn and now deeper through ur posts
And was glad that i could little bit for preparing the thread
Edited by cute00ish - 8 years ago
a great and a very informative post. May Allah bless us all.
Layalat ul Qadar mubarak to all.
Masha'Allah very nice post. May Allah (s.w.t) guide us in the straight path
http://www.islamicacademy.org/html/Articles/English/Night_Of_Power.htm
In this site there are prayers described to be recited on 21,23,25,27,29 nights of ramzan.
Beautiful post.May Allah forgive us and grant our prayers. Ameen
Very useful and wonderful post about lailatul qadr. Tysmm for posting this
amazing thread hukshila.
thanks for sharing all the info.