Page 1 of 6

Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 2 Page 6

TallyHo

IF-Rockerz

TallyHo

Posted: 22 October 2006 at 2:21am | IP Logged

We crib about the loads of the bags, the brutal examination system, the excessive pressures on the tender childhood...we squirm when we hear young children being driven to suicide because of the pressures of the board exams...

Yet this is the education system that has given not just India, but the entire world thousands of doctors, engineers and software professionals...we can pride ourselves on being hardworking,  strong on analytical and problem solving skills thanks to the grinding and grilling in our schools and colleges....

Is our education system as bad as it is made out to be...Would India lose its edge if we were to adapt  say an American format of education...

Please do comment!

Edited by TallyHo - 22 October 2006 at 2:22am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is the Indian Education system good?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

influx

Groupbie

influx

Posted: 23 October 2006 at 5:56am | IP Logged
it is vry gud

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 23 October 2006 at 6:02am | IP Logged
Good question Tallyho. I think Indian education is too tuff on chidren sometime and American system is too liberal at times, maybe if we could settle somewhere in between (I am only talking about education till high school- not beyon that).

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 23 October 2006 at 6:12am | IP Logged

I really wonder
 Whom should I blame?
What should I blame?
I don't think educational system is bad but examination system is bad in India.If examination is also a part of it then educational system is also bad.The present system is stressful,very very much greedy for marks,percentiles and not knowledge oriented.I wish I get oppurtunity to spend ,study as Henry David Thoreau suggested.

Cheers,

Mythili 

Pradarshak

Goldie

Pradarshak

Posted: 23 October 2006 at 1:33pm | IP Logged
I feel the Indian education system in the elementary and high school level is very good. The grilling really pays if not for all. If one can survive this education system, he/she can have the ability to make it big anywhere in the world. Our science and math are exceptionally good at these levels.

I am in US so I can compare with US education system. These days if you are aware there is a lot of hue-and-cry going on in US for it's deterioration in education system. They have one quarter high school white dropouts while the number is half for blacks and latinos. They have even taken the initiative of "no child left behind" program. They cribbing about not putting much stress in teaching science and maths. They are producing more and more crimilan psychologists and creative writers. USA is a very resourceful country with a less than one third of Indian population. So, may be it will take some more time to feel the heat.

On abc there was a program on why India ia growing fast in producing so much tech. and science people. It was told that for modern Indians the only weapon is education to survive and they even respect and worship education(in the form of Ma Saraswati)which is a rare feature in all over the world.

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 23 October 2006 at 2:17pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

momogrl21

IF-Veteran Member

momogrl21

Posted: 23 October 2006 at 7:43pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by sowmyaa

Good question Tallyho. I think Indian education is too tuff on chidren sometime and American system is too liberal at times, maybe if we could settle somewhere in between (I am only talking about education till high school- not beyon that).

i agree with di here Tongue i sometimes think that teachers here may let off a bit too easy while when I go to India i see my cousins get sad because they didn't get first rank and ended up in third rank. Supposedly that was horrible. I definitely think there should be a place for all this right in the middle Smile

influx

Groupbie

influx

Posted: 24 October 2006 at 2:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Maya*

The major flaw I see in Indian education system is that it forbids you from asking basic questions. Don't ask why, just do it. Most of the basic knowledge is bookish and less creative. Do we need a 5 or 6 year old to sit through 8-9 hours of school5 days a week and then loads of homework on weekend? We argue that India produces most hardworking Software Engineers and Doctors in the world. Yet we don*t see most inventions attributed to Indians. What is stopping us? It is the basic rule we are fed since childhood and that is work hard, don*t ask why or how? Our education system needs to be less meticulous and teachers should bring out the ingenuity in us.

gud views

Post Reply New Post

Go to top