ArHi FF: Tricksters Make This World. Ch 03 A, 13 July

RockBarbie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 8 years ago
Tricksters Make This world

Genre: Angst

Summary:

When Lavanya moves in with Arnav and Arnav's family accepts her, something breaks in Khushi. She contemplates her past, her current volatile emotional state and a possible breakdown in near future.
                She finds that she isn't alone in this reality that confuses her and tricks her to believe that no other possible reality can exist.

Index

Chapter 01: Grinning lips and sunken ships - Page 01
Chapter 01 A: Caged hearts and fragile bones - Page 07
Chapter 01 B: Messing feelings and fleeting touches - Page 11
Chapter 02: Silken Skin and lonely limbs - Page 15
Chapter 02 A: Shattered past and tethered present - Page 18
Chapter 02 B: Old relationships and new bonds - Page 22
Chapter 03: Quixotic Quizzes and Apollonian Agendas - Page 28
Chapter 03 A: Infinite possibilities and half truths - Page 32

Banner credit FredriceJi

Edited by RockBarbie - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RockBarbie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 8
Chapter 01:

Teaching someone about ways and means of a family was something she never thought would be a job description. The matriarch of Raizada family and lady of the house had personally hired Khushi to do exactly that. The subject - the stunning Lavanya Kashyap. Problem - the man who had gotten himself engaged to Lavanya against the wishes of his family. Arnav Raizada.

The world had missed a turn when Arnav declared to the entire family that he was going to marry Lavanya. It had taken two hours, several negotiations and handful of bargains to get his family - his grandmother to be precise, accept Lavanya into their family. The old woman had finally given her consent after Lavanya promised to do everything it takes to learn traditions of the household. After that, Anjali had broken into cheerful laughter, followed by rest of the household.   

Khushi had struggled to maintain a smile that hurt her cheeks while flames of disappointment licked her stomach. Arnav had avoided looking at her for the entire evening and she was fine with that. She couldn't have tolerated the happiness spilling from his eyes or the looks of pity he would throw in her way.

In the past, there were moments - handful of them where she thought the barriers between them dissolved and their interaction rewrote boundaries around them. They held their eyes longer, gaze sharper and had exchanged both vicious and vulnerable information about each other. They all seemed unimportant now. In moments, the essence of the memories that she had so carefully coddled and cherished had become trigger warnings.

But here she was walking in the rain in late evening under orange street lamp like a tailored heroine from a clichd romance story, where the girl doesn't get the boy she has a crush on. It's a whole another thing that the boy in question didn't really get along with the girl all the time. It's just that he was incredibly intrigued by her and she had a hopeless schoolgirl crush on him irrespective of the constant irritation and annoyance the boy caused her. She had no one but herself to blame for the predicament she was in. Arnav had never even given her hope of something larger for her to hold on to. He had walked into her personal space as if he belonged there. She riled him as if it was her favorite past time. They had developed a language of their own unknowingly and played a game only they knew how in a reality that belonged to just them.

"Do you want to come in?" She heard a voice call. Khushi turned around and came face to face with an elderly woman, smiling patiently at her. "It's pouring badly."

Khushi looked at the woman blankly. "I..." She was startled at the interruption.

"Come on in," the elderly woman nudged gently.

Khushi followed the woman inside the office that was sparsely furnished. She sat down on a plastic chair and wiped her face with the offered tissue paper.

"I am sorry," Khushi said cocking her head towards the puddle that was forming because of her clothes. The elderly woman smiled and shook her head.

"Don't worry about it." She replied, amused. "I am Maitreyi." She said, extending her hand.

"Khushi." She said extending her own. The handshake was firm and Maitreyi's hand was warm.  

"Are you in a hurry to be somewhere?" Maitreyi asked, calculating. "You didn't seem to care about the intensity of downpour."

Khushi shrugged. "Honestly, I realized only minutes ago that it was raining."

"Something on your mind?" Maitreyi asked gently.

Khushi waited a moment and looked at the posters surrounding the small office. She wanted to laugh at the irony of the situation.

"Nothing to make that drastic choice," she said looking at one poster behind Maitreyi.

A motivational poster about gift of life and suicide prevention decorated the spot on the wall behind Maitreyi. It was hard to take her eyes off the simple words written there.

Maitreyi gave her a critical look. Khushi sighed. "A guy I thought I liked is getting married to someone else. It bothered me so I walked it off." She said, slightly irritated.

Maitreyi smiled at her response. "That's probably one way to deal with it."

Khushi shrugged. Curious, she asked, "What is it you do exactly?" There wasn't much going on in the office with only Maitreyi, two cubicles, one small office and seven plastic chairs.

Noting Khushi's assessment of her office Maitreyi said, "We provide helpline services. Sometimes, all that takes for a person to walk away from a ledge is a listening ear. That's what we provide."

Khushi's heart hammered in her chest. She found it difficult to breathe. Surprisingly, the impending panic attack never came. She gulped down the water set in front of her and took a long breath.

"That's very noble of you," Khushi breathed out.

Maitreyi didn't respond. A beat of silence later, she asked, "Do you have someone in your family who...?"

Khushi looked up from the tiny plastic cup in her hand, surprised at the deduction. Maitreyi smiled softly at her. "I am not a novice in this area. I am a psychiatrist working in the areas of depression and other forms of mental health issues for more than two decades."

Khushi nodded but didn't offer any answer. Maitreyi, to her credit, didn't push it any further.

"You are looking for volunteers." Khushi said, changing subject so that focus of conversation wasn't on her anymore.

Maitreyi nodded. "I generally get college students interning here for every few months. They work during the day or in evenings but not many prefer to work during the night. At the moment I don't have anyone working the night shift. Well except for me, of course." She chuckled.

"I am sorry." Khushi said sincerely.

Maitreyi shook her head. "Don't be. Please. It is what it is. And I will have to make the most of what I have. Since the payment is not very substantial, not many want to volunteer here."

The women fell silent.

"We let people believe that there is something much deeper and grander behind the shifting masks we put. That's the greatest trick humans play on others. In fact behind the masks, there is nothing. It's in the masks, we weave our real self and let people think that they are masks." Khushi's voice had a balanced husky note to it.

Maitreyi smiled inwardly at that. "You are too young to be spouting existential philosophy."

Khushi threw her head back and laugh. "I am not sure what that means." She said recovering from the sudden fit of laughter.

"I mean -" Maitreyi stopped talking and Khushi jumped when phone rang.

Khushi knew the call was genuine by the grim lines deepening on Maitreyi's face. The softness of the woman was suddenly replaced by much jagged hard edges.

She leaned back on the cheap plastic chair and closed her eyes.

She already knew she was going to volunteer at this beaten down place. The decision was made the moment she had seen the poster and the memory of her parents had clashed and juxtaposed in her mind.

She knew there was a great possibility that Maitreyi would be unsuccessful tonight. But the fragility of reality was such that there existed a very small probability where Maitreyi is successful in every call she receives.

They wouldn't be simply saving lives. They would create new realities.

barsha_dash thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Wonderful concept.
Maitreyi is an interesting woman.
Will Khushi join Maitreyi?
Eager to read more.😊
Alone111 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Wonderful concept
I m in...

Would love to read more...
Ll khushi join mytreyi !?

Continue soon
Surya.Ravi thumbnail
interesting and intriguing start...thank you for the PM...πŸ‘πŸΌEdited by MysticRiver - 8 years ago
Surya.Ravi thumbnail
double post...Edited by MysticRiver - 8 years ago
lalarukh thumbnail
wow very interesting start...and i like this khushi ...she is indeed verbal about her feelings towards a man :)...maiteryi  a psychiatrist and wt a nature of her job,amazing :)...awesome concept dear...looking forward to it :)
frenzyy thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Interesting start! Loving this Khushi already
ammygurl thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Hi
I like the concept. Let's see how this shapes up. But it is a noble work, saving someone's life. Suicide helpline is a brilliant idea. Keep up the good work :)

Regards
S
aarrsshhii thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Nice beginning... Iam curious to know how you have planned the story further... Nevertheless...eagerly waiting for all your updates...