Other Star One Shows

News/Articles Related To Star One.. (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 19

aries_sakshi

IF-Rockerz

aries_sakshi

Posted: 15 July 2005 at 10:26am | IP Logged
GAURAV CHANANA - From Hey... Yehii To Haii Woh!

The light eyed, oh-so-cute doctor who stole many hearts as Rahul in the medical saga Sanjeevani on STAR Plus, now has twice the fan following! Thanks to his double role as Raj and Sameer in Hey... Yehii To Haii Woh!!

The serial ends on July 21 and Gaurav plans to put his feet up and take a vacation before the next call! Before he could do so, here is your chance to know more about him!

Life after Hey... Yehii To Haii Woh! - I had a blast essaying a double role. My shoot for the show ends on 14 July and 15 July is my birthday. So, it's a new beginning and a new chapter in my life. I haven't been home lately (Delhi) and before my parents are close to disowning me. I would like to spend some quality time with them now.

Favorite show on the telly is - Will & Grace.

Three words that describe yourself - Confident, Sensitive and Hardworking.

Most embarrassing moment - I had a huge crush on a girl in school and I ended up wishing her on a day that wasn't her birthday!

Your idea of an ideal day is - Walking on the beach with the special one, holding hands or just being together.

Favorite romantic getaway would be - Any beach, but NOT Juhu or Chowpatty!

Birthday and zodiac sign - 15 July, Cancer

Sexiest Women on television - Ekta Kapoor

Favorite co-star - Monish Behl (from Sanjeevani)

Last time you traveled by public transport was - Two days ago, went to the shoot in a rickshaw.

Biggest fan is - My father.

Morning or night person - I am a 24x7 person!

If not an actor, you would be - Chartered Accountant or Lawyer. On second thoughts anything but happy!

Bedtime to you is - Whenever I get sleepy.

Three things, which you would never leave home without - Cell phone, wallet and tons of positive energy!

Worst pick-up line you have ever heard - "You are the most good looking man I have ever met!" (Refuses to divulge who said this!)

Five years from now you will be - Hopefully as happy as I am NOW!

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "News/Articles Related To Star One.. (Page 7)" in Other Star One Shows forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

aries_sakshi

IF-Rockerz

aries_sakshi

Posted: 16 July 2005 at 8:28am | IP Logged
The makings of a ZERO
Seven-year-old rock band Zero maybe singing their swansong, but not before their second album hits the shelves
Lalitha Suhasini
Lucknow, July 15: The waves do a rockabye and your beer soaked senses are about to hit the snooze button on a sultry afternoon on a boat in the middle of the Indian ocean. But when Zero breaks into a Goan version of La Bamba, you're jumping around like jelly beans along with the rest of the band members. That was two years ago, when Rock Street Journal was finalising bands for the Great Indian Rock concert. Today, the four-member band is slowly adjusting to the idea of losing its lead guitarist Warren Mendonsa, 25, who plans to migrate to New Zealand. In fact, the date for their supposed last Indian gig has been set. We catch up at vocalist Rajeev Talwar's music pad. Scattered gear lends the room a well lived-in look and there's no water around, but Talwar offers Feni, which has been tucked away for emergencies. Younger brother Bobby who's also the band's bassist explains that many out-of-town bands ''shack up'' there.
Lalitha SuhasiniAdvertisement
< = src="http://ads.expressindia.com/banner/iestoryban.js"> < = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adjs.php?para=no&n=685863046&what=zone:377&target=_blank&exclude=," =text/>
Twenty-six-year old Sidd (Siddarth Coutto), the band's drummer sans his long locks is the most vocal of the lot. ''We'll cross the bridge when we come to it,'' he says a little edgily when we ask him about life after Warren, ''We've played with another lead guitarist earlier.'' The band's readying for a Euro tour with Warren in September after which their second album will be launched. ''We've called it Procrastination because it took us so long to put the songs down,'' says Sidd of the follow-up to Hook, their 2002 debut. ''The 12-track album is pretty much our sound,'' he adds. Zero's sound is happy pop-rock. ''Our main idea is to have fun on stage,'' says 29-year-old Rajeev, who has taken on client servicing with ad agency Lowe. ''There's no money in this business anyway,'' adds bassist Bobby, a corporate lawyer. The band strictly stuck to their college code of maintaining a day job. Tubby Warren who's unarguably one of India's finest guitarists is visibly frustrated when he talks about his work. ''I don't want to play Hindi music for Bollywood films for the rest of my life,'' he says. So the only way out is a flight to Kiwiland, where he plans to play at nightclubs. ''They have a great live scene—three nights a week,'' he enthuses, ''This is just a stepping stone and I want to move to Australia later.'' Both Warren and Sidd are also a part of the band on Star One's The Great Indian Comedy Show. ''It's fun and decent money,'' reasons Sidd, who also produces jingles, ''Sometimes we even laugh at the jokes when we can hear them.'' You won't hear Zero play Deep Purple as Purple is supposed to be played and there's no need for a mosh pit to kick off a frenzy when they do a Material Boy. ''All we did was squat for four years, before people accepted our originals,'' says Sidd, ''We're not about to play what event organisers want us to play.'' Big egos on a small budget. But when Zero does Lucy, it's a crowd puller, all right.

aries_sakshi

IF-Rockerz

aries_sakshi

Posted: 16 July 2005 at 9:53am | IP Logged

Sibling rivalry on Sarabhai V/S Sarabhai.
The two Sarabhai brothers will be seen going on an out and out brouhaha against each other on

But then: Sumeet Raghavan withRatna Pathak

Star One's Sarabhai V/S Sarabhai.

Sahil will win an award from Howard University and will be very excited about his feat. Much to his dismay, Roshesh on the other hand is short listed for a role in Raj Gopal Varma's (big film maker on the show) film 'Naya don'. This news takes the whole family by storm and they are all so thrilled about Roshesh's big break in movies. This will cause Sahil to feel ignored.

Sahil will get jealous of the fact that Roshesh is now going to be a big star. Sahil's envy peaks and he won't be able to stand the fact that Roshesh will get to become a star and he will always be Dr. Sahil Sarabhai!!!!
And.......... A big 'Deewar' remake happens between the 2 brothers!!

To know what happens, tune in to Sarabhai V/S Sarabhai on Monday, July 18th on Star One.

aries_sakshi

IF-Rockerz

aries_sakshi

Posted: 19 July 2005 at 7:44am | IP Logged

Star One's 'TGILC' in top 50; beats Sony's 'CID'

MUMBAI: Star India's urban upscale channel Star One seems to be finally making its mark on the ratings charts.

The Great Indian Laughter Challenge, the channel's recently launched reality hunt for the nation's best comic talent, is now in the TAM Top 50 (Week 28 ending 9 July). In doing so it has beaten back Sony's CID and Zee's long running and now modified Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2005 which are both Friday shows positioned in the same slot.

TGILC has been consistently showing growth since its launch on 3 June. In the latest ratings, the show has made it to the 34th slot recording a 5.23 TVR in the CS 4+ Hindi speaking markets ahead of Sony's CID and Crime Patrol which clocked 3.45 and 2.85 TVRs respectively.

TGILC debuted with a launch rating of 2.3 TVR, and in the sixth week of its run has managed to rope in 8.4 million viewers, Star executives assert.

Speaking to Indiantelevision.com, Star India senior vice president marketing and communication Ajay Vidyasagar says, "The idea for the (talent hunt) show came to us when we saw that The Great Indian Comedy Show was doing well from Mondays to Thursdays. With the concept in mind we also roped in the humour icons Navjot Sindhu and Shekhar Suman. The results have however superseded our expectations. With this week's ratings TGILC has risen to be the number one show on Fridays at the 10 pm slot. Also, well made comedies have always had a place of their own despite the dominance of soaps on Indian television."

If one tracks the performance of TGILC for the last four weeks vis--vis Sony's CID & Crime Patrol and Zee's Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2005, very clearly TGILC's success can be attributed to it eating into Sony's audiences while Zee remains unaffected.

Date
TGILC
CID
Crime Patrol
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2005
17/06/05
24/06/2005
1/7/2005
8/7/2005
Source: Tam, TG - CS4+, Market - HSM, Period - 12/6-9/7

Adds Vidyasagar, "Drama leads the pack, with reality shows following. Although TGILC is a comedy show that is poised to hit the big league. On the back of TGILC, Instant Khichdi, Sarabahai Vs Sarabhai and Bluff Master are also showing increased ratings. The show in fact has not only brought in eyeballs from competition but has also managed to cut across geographies and bring in new audiences to the Friday 10 pm slot."

If one looks at Hindi speaking regions across, Star One scored most in the Punjab, Haryana, Chandigargh belt 1 million + followed by MP (1 mn +) and then Maharashtra.

Market
Star One
Sony
Zee
Mumbai
Delhi
PHC 1 mn +
MP 1 mn +
Mah. 1 mn +
Kolkata
Source: Tam data - Relative channel shares, HSM, CS 4+, Fridays 10-11 pm

TGILC is one of the most heavily promoted shows on Star One. The launch phase saw a two week focussed campaign with spends according to industry estimates pegged between Rs 7-7.5 million with about 1500-2000 GRPS being burnt for the launch campaign.

According to data provided by TAM, overall channel shares for Star One has also been on a climb week on week.

The advertisers on the show are as follows -

Clinic All Clear Maruti (Alto) D'damas VIP frenchie Zandu Pharma
  • Parry's(Butterscotch)

One of the advertisers who requested anonymity says, "I think it has paid off well for us. It's done better that we expected it to do both in terms of the quality of programme and branding. In all a good investment because it is an economical buy."

Maxwell marketing manager Anthony Fernandes seems more muted,"In terms of mileage, currently one can only judge it by the kind of buzz it has made. The sponsorship has not come in cheap, so whether it was a good buy or not is yet to be known.

On the other hand Maruti's media manager Shaswati Saradar
is more upbeat, "It was a high risk property that we took on; so in terms of that mindset the return on risk is high. We did not expect it do so well. TGILC's performance can also be attributed to what Indian television currently has to offer. This show comes as a respite from the routine women fare. Most definitely a good buy."

aries_sakshi

IF-Rockerz

aries_sakshi

Posted: 19 July 2005 at 7:52am | IP Logged
KBC: The equivalent of Sholay 2?
Starting August 5, Star Plus hopes to eradicate competition from other channels once again.

Their star serial, Kaun Benega Crorepati, will be back for its second season.

Star Plus' Chief Operating Officer Samir Nair describes the second coming of KBC as 'the same show but everything changed.'

He adds, "We're trying to do the equivalent of making Sholay 2. Is it possible, even if we pour double the resources and energy of the original? We at Star think it is possible. Mr Bachchan's demenaour, image, clothes, language and attitude will be changed. When he first came on KBC five years ago, he was down and out. Now he's the absolute emperor in every sense. AB is the ultimate rock star. And KBC will rock accordingly. To put it in a nutshell, we go from languid to pacy."

Amitabh Bachchan, who hosts the show, says, "Well, the questions will be posed in a different way. Times have changed. Tastes have transformed. The people who watched KBC the first time have moved on. Hopefully, they'll come back. And there's a whole new generation that would want to watch KBC. We're counting on them."

When the game show was first aired in 2001, Star Plus had a viewership of about 22 milion. "Today, we're being watched by 61 million people. There're 21 million landlines and 50 million mobile phones. We're gearing up for an all-out war," says Nair, hinting at Star's much talked-about plans to wipe out the headway made by rival channels through their talent shows like Sony's Fame Gurukul and Zee's Challenge.

"These are what I call 'scripted reality' shows," Nair says. "We don't believe in doctored thrills. KBC is about to whittle down the competition. We intend to broaden the horizon of participants. The guy on the hot seat is no longer the nerd who memorises the Malayala Manorama Year Book but the guy who reads the newspaper and is aware of the world around him. I've asked my quiz producer Siddhartha Basu to make sure that the questions are not too niche. If the host has become  the coolest dude in the country, then the guy in the hot seat had better match him!"

The 'coolest dude' is, as usual, unfazed. "I was committed to do 81 episodes. The entire format of presentation, including my clothes, have been decided by Star. I'm just the guy opposite the hot seat. Will KBC be as successful this time as the last? Who knows? But I'm having a blast!" says Bachchan.

KBC will be aired at 9 pm on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, starting August 5.

aries_sakshi

IF-Rockerz

aries_sakshi

Posted: 21 July 2005 at 12:58pm | IP Logged
Star One the road ahead

Star One will become Number 2 to Star Plus. November is the plan. It is growing week on week. TGILC (The Great Indian Laughter Challenge) has really caught on; Remix is doing very well; the game shows are performing. It takes time, it's a new channel. Sony, Zee and Star Plus for that matter have been around for 10 years. And now there are some super hot shows coming up in the next couple of months. In the next two to three months, we'll do exciting programming and build on it and expand it.

The challenges it is facing is that being a new brand in as much as it has made remarkable progress, our expectations are higher. If we were not Star TV, we would actually be having a party celebrating Star One's success.

We have in any case got a lot of audiences who have sampled the channel, we just need to collate that audience and make it a critical mass. In that sense the Tam Elite panel coming is a good thing for all the channels. In fact, it will help the English category a lot. At the end of the day India is (still largely) a single TV home and the larger measurement usually tends to get subsumed. The niche channels usually get buried between the mass of Hindi entertainment. This (Elite panel) will bring in a degree of qualitative differentiation into how audiences are measured.

The challenge for Star One is really to overtake Sony and Zee. We are expanding its appeal. We wanted to start off with a differentiation, so that you create that distinction.

It was a really difficult things do. Especially when it stems from the same family and tackles the same Hindi entertainment genre. Now having created that distinction, we are broadening that distinction's appeal. When we launched, the aim was not to clone Plus. So, we started off with a complete distinct identity and now we are broadening its appeal. So that we have two versions of Hindi entertainment. We are very well co-coordinated on this. The plan is to become number two and monetize it.

Star One, is all connected to value for money; network sales.

aries_sakshi

IF-Rockerz

aries_sakshi

Posted: 22 July 2005 at 10:13am | IP Logged
'The Great Indian Laughter Challenge', jumps to 25th position
(Friday, Jul 22, 2005 - 06:00 pm)
Deepak Mohanty - Televisionpoint.com
What Karan Johar did for Star World and What Amitabh Bachchan did for Star Plus, Shekhar Suman and Navjot Singh Sidhu are doing for Star One with 'The Great Indian Laughter Challenge', 'TGILC', the nationwide search for the best comic talent in India is developing a strong comedy identity for Star One. Shekhar Suman and Navjot Sidhu, as judges on the show were able to bring in in the Top 30 list, apart from finding bright young comedians.

"Quite simply, 'The Great Indian Laughter Challenge' has tickled the funny bone of the nation! The ratings reflect the growing popularity, week on week for a show that delivers an hour of nonstop entertainment. The show was an idea that was born from the popularity of an existing Star One programme, the Great Indian Comedy Show. Today, both these shows have attained a cult status, with a loyal base of viewers who tune-in week after week for the kind of entertainment that has never been seen before on Indian television." Says Ajay Vidyasagar, Sr. Vice President, Marketing and Communication, Star India Pvt. Ltd.

The show, which debuted on June 3, 2005 with a rating of 2.74, has only grown from strength to strength each week. 'TGILC', which entered the TAM Top 50 last week, now further augments in the Tam Top 25, sorting at 25 position with a TVR of 6.79 (3844 OOO's) well ahead from Sony TV's 'CID', which is standing at a TVR of 4.18 (2362 OOO's). Sony's other shows like 'Kaisa Ye Pyar Hai', 'Kkusum', 'Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin' are doing at a TVR of 3.58, 3.42 and 3.32 TVR respectively. While, Zee TV's 'Sinndoor Tere Naam Ka' and 'Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2005' are standing at a TVR of 2.31 and 1.79 respectively, in the Share Base of 9 Cities, TG of MF 4+ (C&S).

On July 15, 'The Great Indian Laughter Challenge' received the TVR of 11.79 in Delhi and Mumbai cities, a record in itself in the comedy segment and a rating highest ever for Star One, thus making it really a watchable show and noted that the amateur comedians are much better than the professionals who populate Star One's other big show, 'The Great Indian Comedy Show'. Also the 6th episode, which aired on July 8 burst through the TRP scales delivering a rating of 7.7, sweeping aside all competition at this time slot.

Speaking to Televisionpoint.com, Ajay Vidyasagar, believes that impromptu comedy shows on Indian Television is always a fiddly barrel of monkeys. Vidyasagar believes that Shekhar Suman is a comedian with an immaculate sense of timing and that 'TGILC' satirizes the manners and customs of a section of society, especially fashionable society, so as, Star One has particularly picked the talent hunt concept.

When we asked him, what is the USP of 'The Great Indian Laughter Challenge', he says, it is "associated with humorous behavior, wordplay, pleasurable feeling, release of tension, and laughter. 'TGILC' is imbued with a playful spirit, comic entertainment frequently exposes incongruous." He adds that 'Instant Khichdi', 'Bluff Master', 'Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai' and 'Siddhanth' are also showing good numbers.

aries_sakshi

IF-Rockerz

aries_sakshi

Posted: 22 July 2005 at 10:13am | IP Logged
Fun Friday

Anil Merani
Posted online: Friday, July 22, 2005 at 0000 hours IST

Laughter is just a switch away. Great Indian Laughter Challenge aired on STAR One is a stress-buster in every which way...
Anil Meraniscreen
If you want to laugh away the Friday night blues, tune into the Great Indian Laughter Challenge at 10 pm every Friday night on Star One and watch how the kings of wit Shekhar Suman and Navjot Singh Siddhu choose the top comedian of the country. A total riot, check it out yourself to believe it. The show which also has ace funster Johnny Lever, as a guest judge, is anchored by the sexy Perizad Kolah, who according to Shekhar is a perfect combination of beauty with brains. This 13 week show (premiered on June 3) comes under the agesis of the Great Indian Comedy Show, another laughter based programme on STAR One. It began with the organizers asking people to phone in and prove their comic abilities in 60 seconds. A record number of calls (2,00,000 calls) were made by the Indian public out of which 50 lucky contestants were chosen for the television event. Shekhar Suman believes that such shows are a God sent, as there is such large pool of talent out there, just waiting to be harnessed. "We did not know that people in Hyderabad were so good in humour, their accent and mannerism were just awesome," recalls Shekhar. To buttress Shekhar's claim, Siddhu adds that talent is nothing without opportunity. When asked to describe humour, Sidhu says that it's something spontaneous, a reaction in response to facing a particular kind of situation "Once when Shoaib Akhtar was bowling to Virendra Sehwag, and constantly needling him to hook, knowing very well that was the Indian batsmen weakness Sehwag asked 'are you bowling or begging'." The chosen 50 contestants are going through a grueling test to showcase their unique comic timing. The first 10 episodes stretching over multiple rounds, feature five contestants each with a winner being selected at the end of every episode. The 10 episodic winners will compete over the final three episodes, for the grand winner's prize, which is getting a direct entry to the ensemble cast of The Great Indian Comedy Show, and also a chance to host all-new comedy show on STAR One. Ravi Menon, Head of Programming, STAR One said at the launch of the show that the contest would go well beyond the benchmarks set by comedies on Indian television so far.
Advertisement
< = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/banner/screenfullstory.js"> < = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adjs.php?para=no&n=619428653&what=zone:443&target=_blank&exclude=," =text/>
Sidhu who is himself known for strong wit or siddhuiim as it is popularly known, says that he is looking for original talent and creativity and not somebody who just apes others. "Humour should be served in small doses," Sidhu adds. Shekar butts in by saying that timing and expression is critical, for if you pull the joke too long or present it wrongly, it loses all its fun and the audience goes to sleep. Siddhu says that question and answer round is important as it gives them a chance to see how good the contestant truly is. In the earlier rounds, they come with their prepared jokes and their true talent is not tested. Shekhar has rejected a few participants for lack of originality. "They just walked in with old staid jokes," he recounts. The wife seems to be the butt of most jokes among male group of contestants. Siddhu says this is the case, because a man however powerful he may be outside, becomes a timid kitten the moment he enters the house. When asked as to whether there were any red lines that the participants could not cross, Shekhar informs that they did not have any clear cut guidelines and their personal sense of right and wrong was guiding them. So far, there have been no problems. The show seems to be catching the pulse of the Nation with the latest TAM data showing it to have garnered a rating of 5.14 that is the highest rating STAR One has got till date. It's even more popular in Punjab and Haryana reaching a rocking 11.47. Siddhu believes that the higher rating in the North is because of the use of Hindi language and more popularity of judges like Shekhar in the Hindi speaking belt.
screen
The high ratings are an indication that people want something different from the same old song and dance competitions aired on all the channels. That there is enormous talent out there waiting to be tapped is obvious. The sheer range of talent exhibited by the participants out there is awesome and speaks volumes of untapped talent in the nation. Comedian Raju Shrivastav is one of this motley group, he has already been seen on the big (Amdani Athani Kharcha Rupaiya) and small screen (Akting Akting SAB TV). Raju felt that the contestants were initially unsure of Siddhu, as a judge but he proved them wrong. One of Raju's jokes is that of a person who went to see off his friend at the station. But things go wrong and the would-be traveler is left stranded at the station while the one who's gone to drop him jumps on to the train, as it chugs off. It is creditable that STAR One which has some good comedy shows on the channel is thinking out of the box by coming up with a concept which not only makes the audience laugh non stop for an hour, but also gives a chance to budding talent in the country to show their funny bone.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top