Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Laughter originated four million years ago: Study

Asian News International

London, November 25, 2005
Sunil Pal may have recently become 'The Great Indian Laughter Champion' in Star One's stand-up comedian's show, but our ancestors mastered the art more than four million years ago.

Scientists from Binghamton University, New York, have revealed that cavemen invented slapstick humour two million years ago, with their funniest visual gag being something like 'tripping over a rock'.

Nearly four million years ago they turned to humour to relieve stress from all that hunting and gathering - and were grunt-like 'play panting'. It took another two million years before their face muscles developed enough for laughter. They perfected slapstick to communicate feelings before proper language evolved.

"Laughter was used for a number of things including conveying embarrassment," The Sun quoted Professor David Sloan Wilson as saying.

newtrex thumbnail
Sad news about Sarabhai.. it will be replaced on 19th december By "yeah dil chahe more" ...    to star..
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

On your 'hearts', get set, go…

1. Siddharth Basu initiates Reena into the rules of the game

2. Reena studies the questions on the monitor in her 'cell'

3. Reena refers to the Yellow Pages and uses her phone lines

Siddharth Basu has masterminded yet another pulse-racing game show, Heart Beat. Our correspondent, Reena Thapar Kapoor, gets in the hot seat

I't's just a game. So, why do contestants look nervous when they are in the hot seat of any game show? It was a question that often crossed my mind… until I took that seat myself. After being briefed by Siddharth Basu about the show, I was more or less ready to take the plunge. Once I entered the soundproof room, I was sequestered from the rest of the world.

That's when I realised you didn't need a live audience and cameras to rattle you – a sterile, futuristic room like the one I was confined in, was enough to make me palpitate. Which was the idea, I think!

"I'm fine and ready to go...," I answered the anonymous amplified voice, when asked about my 'status', when asked about my mental state.  My 'heartbeat' began to race seconds before the voice fired the first question. Bingo! I got through the first one. I started to relax.

I then opted for a 60-second time-out, when I sipped some water and meditated for a while. After clearing the three general questions round, I thought it was time for the Cash Question round – and that was my Waterloo.

I was confused about the answers, so I hurried to make my calls, and even referred to the Yellow Pages. I had stockpiled 1,381 heartbeats from the earlier rounds, and 500 more that were allotted for the fourth question. I stood to win a whopping Rs. 4 lakhs. It seemed like a cinch, but reality took a wrong turn.

I called my folks back home and friends at work who were standing by Google… But perhaps that's what did me in – calling multiple people may work for others, but not for me. Accustomed to doing one thing at a time, this multi-phoning had me foxed.  In fact, I found it almost impossible to stay collected. Evidently, Heart Beat is a show that has its finger on the pulse of the people.

Catch Heart Beat on May 1, on Star One  at 9.30 p.m.

How to play the game

• There is no host and no audience; only a single, soundproof booth

• All you hear is a voice through a loudspeaker

• Every contestant is allowed a time-limit of 500 heartbeats to answer a question. Each question has ten answers, five of which are correct. The trick is to preserve the maximum number of heartbeats for the next level

• You have phone lines at your disposal. Two for making calls, and one for receiving them

• You are allowed to call anybody you choose, but you can't call the same person twice

• The game begins with a cash limit of Rs. 50,000 and keeps increasing as one progresses from question to question

• After answering three general questions, you reach the Cash Question round. You can claim the cash money only after clearing that round

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=19&am p;am p;articleid=4132006054290413200605057984

Edited by monika.goel - 18 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail

What's in a name!

Kiran Dubey has two names. The actor's school friends call her Smita, while the rest of her friends and folks at home prefer to call her Kiran. Interestingly, her parents wanted to name her Milan before she was born, but chose to call her Kiran later.
"My neighbours were very fond of me and Smita Patil was a rage when I was to get into kindergarten, so my neighbours thought of naming me Smita. All my school friends call me Smita while every one else call me Kiran. In fact, I prefer Kiran to Smita but my passports and bank documents have both the names," says Kiran Dubey, who is incidentally a big fan of super cop Kiran Bedi.
The actor is happy with her ongoing travel reality show Jet Set Go on Star One, but intends to become a filmmaker in the future. Besides there are a few film offers in the offing too. Here's to you, Smita, Kiran...err, whatever!

monika.goel thumbnail
Simplicity personified!

It's going to be a quiet function. Tassnim Sheikh who gets married to beau Sameer Nerurkar on Thursday, has been lying low for a while.

The invite - no frills!

Although she's nursing a painul jaw, Tassnim is contunuing to shoot for her ongoing shows (Kyunki.... and Star One's Jet Set Go), she's been recalcitrant about her impending marriage.

The bubbly actor, usually vocal about her relationship with Sameer in the past, has been playing down the nuptials that take place next week. The invite too says as much. A simple embossed card listing the bare details of the wedding are all it offers. No fancy embellishments, no finery accompanying it.

Looking forward to marital bliss - the couple

And if sources are to be believed, the guest list will be restricted to a select few. Tassnim, we hear, isn't too keen on having a media parade too.

OWould this have something to do with the allegation that her beau's family is not too keen on the marriage? We are not too sure, but as the actor's well wishers, sure hope that she gets all the happiness she's been counting on for quite a while.

By THE TELLY CHAKKAR TEAM
Posted on 15 April 2006 6:00 pm
monika.goel thumbnail
Aashka joins Akela; shooting starts today!

Aashka Goradia's back...and in style!

Aashka Goradia: moving greener pastures??

After being shown the door in Star One's travel reality show Jet Set Go, the lady has bagged the lead role in Fireworks' soon to be aired show on Sony tentatively titled, Akela.

"Aashka is a fine actor and in a way, we gave her, her first break with Sony's Achanak - 37 saal baad and after that she was signed on in Kkusum (in which she played Kumud). She'll play Sudhanshu Pandey's love interest in Akela," says supervising producer Yash Patnaik.

Akela which will be on air in June is an one hour weekly that will be telecast at primetime. It will be directed by B P Singh himself.

The Fireworks team will start shooting for the show from today. The cast includes veterans like Pankaj Dheer and actors like Sumeet Raghavan and Sudhanshu Pandey.

The show is not an out and out thriller, but it has some supernatural elements in it. The makers promise that the show's one of its kind and is sure to keep the audience glued to their television sets!

Did you know?

Aashka also had a narrow escape when her car had a head-on collision with a trailer, on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway, near Valsad, on 3 February 2006. The accident occurred when three of her car tyres burst, resulting in the vehicle skidding off the road. Aashka sustained multiple fractures on her left arm, and needed several stitches in her mouth. She was on her way to hometown Ahmedabad. The actor had not only attended the launch of Jet Set Go in a cast, but had also shot with the same.

By ANANYA SENGUPTA
Posted on 17 April 2006 2:30 pm
ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

The F – Factor
Gurdeep Kholi

Fashion has a different meaning for different people. To be fashionable is very important for actors. Whether fashion means haute couture or street side depends on the individual. In short it means an individual's style statement.

As fashion often dictates public taste we profile some of our TV stars for their take on fashion.

We caught Gurdeep Kohli in a fashionable chat where she revealed her make- up secrets and fashion mantra

What does fashion mean to you?
Fashion depends on one's individual style. You must create your own style statement.

Who chooses clothes for you?
I choose clothes for myself. I like to go shopping when not shooting.

Are you fond of accessories?
I love to accessorise myself with earrings, shoes, belts, etc. I like to match all my accessories with my dresses.

Is there any particular brand that you prefer?
I'm not so brand conscious. But if I had to choose one it would definitely be Sabyasachi.

Which is your most preferred shopping destination?
Hong Kong. I don't know why some people have misunderstandings about that place but personally I know its one of the most happening places when it comes to shopping.

What is your comfort wear?
Tops and jeans. I also feel comfortable in a salwaar kameez.

Who is your favourite designer?
Sabyasachi Mukherjee

Most expensive outfit you ever bought?
My wedding dress. It was the most expensive outfit designed by my favourite designer. It was costly but very close to my heart

Any particular colour you like to see in your wardrobe?
I love to see earthy colours in my wardrobe.

A must- have in your purse?
Lip gloss and a kohl pencil

Which is your fav make-up brand?
Only MAC. It's moisturiser and lipstick are the best and also the cleanser

A fashion tip
Just follow your heart and don't imitate anybody. The overweight underestimate themselves. Wear clothes that suit you and this will make you feel happy

A make- up tip
Always apply smudge- proof kohl and waterproof mascara. Remember to remove your make-up before going to bed and apply moisturiser if the skin feels dry

Edited by Lubnavaishali - 16 years ago