News/Articles Related To Star One.. - Page 5

Posted: 18 years ago

Archies, Star One in talent hunt JV

NEW DELHI: Leading gifting and greeting company Archies has tied-up with Star One's The Great Indian Comedy Show , a nation-wide comedy talent hunt hosted by television actor Shekhar Suman and cricketer-turned-commentator Navjot Singh Sidhu.

As a part of this tie-up, Archies along with Star One has announced an interactive on-ground contest across its outlets with effect from July 1. To be eligible in this contest, one needs to fill the contest form answering a few simple questions about the show and narrating a joke through an Archies card.

Archies also has introduced a special range (68 designs) of wacky, fun cards branded as - Great Indian laughter cards, displayed in a special rack across its outlets. This contest is running across 402 Archies Outlets (Archies Galleries and Paper Rose Shoppes) across 139 cities.

Providing a platform for all Archies customers to prove their talent across all genres of humour, Archies has announced attractive gift hampers for the winners. Five winners will be announced every week, for the next four weeks.

Commenting on this association, Mr Pramod Arora, Executive Director, Archies Ltd, said, "Reality shows are a firm feature of the entertainment landscape in the country, providing an apposite opportunity to young aspirers to express a kaleidoscope of emotions. Through this tie up and on-ground contest, Archies aims to provide an opportunity to its customers to express their wit and humor."

Star One launching game show 'Super Sale' 15 August

By SONALI KRISHNA
Indiantelevision.com Team

(8 July 2005 11:00 pm)

MUMBAI: Looks like it's going to be raining game shows on the Star network in August. As Star Plus readies to welcome the big daddy of them all KBC 2, sister channel Star One is also preparing for the launch of its Super Sale on 15 August.

Super Sale is the Indian adaptation of an old Fremantle format that originated in Australia titled Sale of the Century.

Super Sale will also mark the return of popular television host Sajid Khan to Star Plus after a gap of over five years. Khan used to host a show Sajid No. 1 in the pre-KBC era of Plus.

The game show is being produced by Fremantle, which is slowly remarking its territory as a production house in India

Super Sale is being slotted at 7:30 pm as a lead-in to Star One's popular Remix, a one-hour daily that airs from 8-9 pm Monday-Thursday. Currently the slot is occupied by animation series Aflatoons.

Says Star One programming head Ravi Menon, "Internationally, Sale of the Century has always been positioned in a comfortable slot.The Australian series took a serious mode to the quiz show, while the British version (aired on Sky, 1989-1991) took on a more fun persona. Star One has decided to adopt the British style."

Menon added that Super Sale would be used to broadbase Star One's viewership by getting in a the SEC B TG, hence acting as a good funnel for Remix.

The structure of the original Sale of the Century is that it consists of three rounds in which three contestants compete for the right to buy luxury prizes at low prices. The show's USP is that it is a successful blend of general knowledge, luck and handsome prizes.

Manini spoofs 'Just Pooja'

The makers of The Great Indian Comedy Show have been spoofing every possible genre of entertainment on Star One. Tonight will be the turn of Zoom's celeb anchor Pooja Bedi who hosts the chat show Just Pooja.

Watch me on trust Pooja
Manini Mihir Misra, well Manini De for those who know Jassi's Pari, plays Pooja tonight on Star One in a short spoof on the show called Trust Pooja where she interviews the very hot Katrina Kaif (played by Sonali Rai Kakkar).

The usually peppy Manini didn't seem to be satisfied with the spoof entirely. "I don't watch the show on Zoom all that much, so I wasn't very clear on the style it had to be portrayed in.

Oye bubbly: Manini De

Although everyone back at the show were quite satisfied with it!" she quips. She however enjoys work on The Great Indian...and feels that it's a great gift to the genre of comedy.

Ask her what she has to say about the pretty Pooja Bedi and this bubbly lady raves, " I think no one has style like Pooja. She oozes oomph! Her dress sense and her presence on the show definitely set the screen on fire! Her personality is one that 's quite hard to ape. Although you can't call her the typical host, there's something about her that's just too unique!"

Seems like Manini is really impressed with Pooja Bedi. Pooja, are you listening?

End of journey for 'Pyar Ki Kashti..'

Star One's Pyar Ki Kashti Mein comes to the end of its bitter sweet journey on the shores of Singapore, as the protagonists tie the knot in a high voltage drama. The grand finale of the show will be shot in the Singapore Zoo with two weddings, we hear.

Pyar Ki Kashti Mein....dropping anchor soon

The cast and crew of Pyar Ki Kashti Mein left for the last 12 day leg of the shoot over last weekend. The 39 episode serial comes to an end after that. The first Indian soap aboard a cruise liner, Pyar Ki.... was part of the first bunch of shows to start with the launch of Star One, and will be among the first to exit the channel.

As far as we know, these will be land episodes, in which DC, the local media baron, gets married to Achint Kaur, who plays Divya. This is the wedding that's likely to be shot in the Singapore zoo, a favourite location for marriages!

The story which unfolds on the decks of a cruise ship is a unique concept that takes the viewers through the roller-coaster relationship between Avinash and Meenaxi. Avinash Mehrotra, played by Sachin Verma, is a self made man. Meenaxi, played by Sampada Vaze, on the other hand, is a romantic who is not afraid to speak her mind --- their clash is imminent and so is their final acceptance of love. The relationship develops as the two are guided by their parents into what we might call, an "arranged love marriage".

'Pyar Ki Kashti Mein' sails away in style!

Star One's Pyar Ki Kashti... bid au revoir with a small, yet well attended party

The cake ushers in the end!
at the Hyatt Regency in Mumbai this Sunday. In attendance were Star One's programming head Ravi Menon, Hummingbirds productions' Laxmi Venkat and Vivek Mehta, who hosted the party to celebrate the successful completion of the show.

It was a party unlike any television party - the cast and the crew were the only invitees and it felt more like a family reunion! Shutterbugs were off limits as were prying journos.

Male lead Sachin Verma looked as if he was still

Sachin Verma: having his fill!

shooting for the show! Looking as serious and brooding as the character he plays, Sachin was quite content to stand in a cosy corner and watch the meery proceedings as the rest of the ship's crew huddled around the celebratory cake and sang the title sequence.

"That is one reason why I loved playing Abhi. He is so much like me," says Sachin with a laugh when we
quizzed him why he chose to stay in the background.

Not so with the female lead, Sampada Vaze, who unlike her on screen was looking quite....'hot'!

Sampada Vaze: look at me!

The cast had a blast chatting with one another and it was nice to see so much of cameraderie all around. For those who have not followed the show, Pyar Ki Kashti...was a show that was shot on a cruise liner and was about a couple who fell in love after a bout of rivalry. This is a love story that comes straight out of a romantic novel --- a handsome couple, the nuances of their characters and the misunderstandings and the silly nothings that go with being a part of a relationship.

Anyways, TC regulars would know that we had already talked about the exit long time back!

VIKRAM ACHARYA - From Dil Kya Chahta Hai

Brief Introduction: My name is Vikram Acharya. I love life and people, full of life. Humour is my forte. I love music and I am also a big time film buff. Driving is another passion of mine.

Birth Sign: Libra.

Superstitions: Forget it... I am very superstitious about even mentioning it.

Happiest Moment: When I bought my very own bike, (a Bajaj Caliber); I was so proud of myself.

Most Embarrassing Moment: I was at this function in a college as the chief guest. After the function, the principal came on stage to give me a bouquet of flowers. I sneezed on his face and something flew on to his specs! Everyone was laughing hard.

Favorite Movie: Memento and Shawshank Redemption

Favourite Actor: Morgan Freeman and Russell Crowe.

Favourite Attire: Blue denims and a white T-shirt with sport shoes.

Favourite Romantic Getaway:
The place I go to is very isolated and untouched. If I mention it, it will no longer be the same.

Dream Role: Would love to be James bond!

Most difficult nuance in my character:
None! As I said earlier, the character I play on screen is very similar to who I am in real life. So how can anything be difficult?

What do people like most about your character?
I don't know. People should tell me. I never fish for compliments. The most common thing I have heard is that 'I am cute', but that is very general.

Your favourite scene so far…
There are too many, but I love the scene in the baby episode where Nitin and I loose the baby and we go looking for it. That was really funny!

Your Inspiration: Every good person I come across, inspires me. It would take me ages to list all the names.

Relate a funny incident on the show:
We were shooting this one scene where I had to remove a coin from my pants. My pants were so tight that when I put my hand in, they got stuck inside as I had rings on all five fingers. And even after we cut the scene, the hand just wouldn't come out!

Dil Kya Chahta Hai for you is: My life! I have never loved any other show as much as this one.

Some words on STAR One: It is the only channel today, which has broken the play-it-safe concept followed by other channels. It has changed programming completely! No other channels has introduced shows like these.

GAURAV CHANANA - From Hey... Yehii To Haii Woh!

The light eyed, oh-so-cute doctor who stole many hearts as Rahul in the medical saga Sanjeevani on STAR Plus, now has twice the fan following! Thanks to his double role as Raj and Sameer in Hey... Yehii To Haii Woh!!

The serial ends on July 21 and Gaurav plans to put his feet up and take a vacation before the next call! Before he could do so, here is your chance to know more about him!

Life after Hey... Yehii To Haii Woh! - I had a blast essaying a double role. My shoot for the show ends on 14 July and 15 July is my birthday. So, it's a new beginning and a new chapter in my life. I haven't been home lately (Delhi) and before my parents are close to disowning me. I would like to spend some quality time with them now.

Favorite show on the telly is - Will & Grace.

Three words that describe yourself - Confident, Sensitive and Hardworking.

Most embarrassing moment - I had a huge crush on a girl in school and I ended up wishing her on a day that wasn't her birthday!

Your idea of an ideal day is - Walking on the beach with the special one, holding hands or just being together.

Favorite romantic getaway would be - Any beach, but NOT Juhu or Chowpatty!

Birthday and zodiac sign - 15 July, Cancer

Sexiest Women on television - Ekta Kapoor

Favorite co-star - Monish Behl (from Sanjeevani)

Last time you traveled by public transport was - Two days ago, went to the shoot in a rickshaw.

Biggest fan is - My father.

Morning or night person - I am a 24x7 person!

If not an actor, you would be - Chartered Accountant or Lawyer. On second thoughts anything but happy!

Bedtime to you is - Whenever I get sleepy.

Three things, which you would never leave home without - Cell phone, wallet and tons of positive energy!

Worst pick-up line you have ever heard - "You are the most good looking man I have ever met!" (Refuses to divulge who said this!)

Five years from now you will be - Hopefully as happy as I am NOW!
The makings of a ZERO
Seven-year-old rock band Zero maybe singing their swansong, but not before their second album hits the shelves
Lalitha Suhasini
Lucknow, July 15: The waves do a rockabye and your beer soaked senses are about to hit the snooze button on a sultry afternoon on a boat in the middle of the Indian ocean. But when Zero breaks into a Goan version of La Bamba, you're jumping around like jelly beans along with the rest of the band members. That was two years ago, when Rock Street Journal was finalising bands for the Great Indian Rock concert. Today, the four-member band is slowly adjusting to the idea of losing its lead guitarist Warren Mendonsa, 25, who plans to migrate to New Zealand. In fact, the date for their supposed last Indian gig has been set. We catch up at vocalist Rajeev Talwar's music pad. Scattered gear lends the room a well lived-in look and there's no water around, but Talwar offers Feni, which has been tucked away for emergencies. Younger brother Bobby who's also the band's bassist explains that many out-of-town bands ''shack up'' there.
Lalitha Suhasini
< = src="http://ads.expressindia.com/banner/iestoryban.js"> < = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adjs.php?para=no&n=685863046&what=zone:377&target=_blank&exclude=," =text/>
Twenty-six-year old Sidd (Siddarth Coutto), the band's drummer sans his long locks is the most vocal of the lot. ''We'll cross the bridge when we come to it,'' he says a little edgily when we ask him about life after Warren, ''We've played with another lead guitarist earlier.'' The band's readying for a Euro tour with Warren in September after which their second album will be launched. ''We've called it Procrastination because it took us so long to put the songs down,'' says Sidd of the follow-up to Hook, their 2002 debut. ''The 12-track album is pretty much our sound,'' he adds. Zero's sound is happy pop-rock. ''Our main idea is to have fun on stage,'' says 29-year-old Rajeev, who has taken on client servicing with ad agency Lowe. ''There's no money in this business anyway,'' adds bassist Bobby, a corporate lawyer. The band strictly stuck to their college code of maintaining a day job. Tubby Warren who's unarguably one of India's finest guitarists is visibly frustrated when he talks about his work. ''I don't want to play Hindi music for Bollywood films for the rest of my life,'' he says. So the only way out is a flight to Kiwiland, where he plans to play at nightclubs. ''They have a great live scene—three nights a week,'' he enthuses, ''This is just a stepping stone and I want to move to Australia later.'' Both Warren and Sidd are also a part of the band on Star One's The Great Indian Comedy Show. ''It's fun and decent money,'' reasons Sidd, who also produces jingles, ''Sometimes we even laugh at the jokes when we can hear them.'' You won't hear Zero play Deep Purple as Purple is supposed to be played and there's no need for a mosh pit to kick off a frenzy when they do a Material Boy. ''All we did was squat for four years, before people accepted our originals,'' says Sidd, ''We're not about to play what event organisers want us to play.'' Big egos on a small budget. But when Zero does Lucy, it's a crowd puller, all right.

Sibling rivalry on Sarabhai V/S Sarabhai.
The two Sarabhai brothers will be seen going on an out and out brouhaha against each other on

But then: Sumeet Raghavan withRatna Pathak

Star One's Sarabhai V/S Sarabhai.

Sahil will win an award from Howard University and will be very excited about his feat. Much to his dismay, Roshesh on the other hand is short listed for a role in Raj Gopal Varma's (big film maker on the show) film 'Naya don'. This news takes the whole family by storm and they are all so thrilled about Roshesh's big break in movies. This will cause Sahil to feel ignored.

Sahil will get jealous of the fact that Roshesh is now going to be a big star. Sahil's envy peaks and he won't be able to stand the fact that Roshesh will get to become a star and he will always be Dr. Sahil Sarabhai!!!!
And.......... A big 'Deewar' remake happens between the 2 brothers!!

To know what happens, tune in to Sarabhai V/S Sarabhai on Monday, July 18th on Star One.

Star One's 'TGILC' in top 50; beats Sony's 'CID'

MUMBAI: Star India's urban upscale channel Star One seems to be finally making its mark on the ratings charts.

The Great Indian Laughter Challenge, the channel's recently launched reality hunt for the nation's best comic talent, is now in the TAM Top 50 (Week 28 ending 9 July). In doing so it has beaten back Sony's CID and Zee's long running and now modified Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2005 which are both Friday shows positioned in the same slot.

TGILC has been consistently showing growth since its launch on 3 June. In the latest ratings, the show has made it to the 34th slot recording a 5.23 TVR in the CS 4+ Hindi speaking markets ahead of Sony's CID and Crime Patrol which clocked 3.45 and 2.85 TVRs respectively.

TGILC debuted with a launch rating of 2.3 TVR, and in the sixth week of its run has managed to rope in 8.4 million viewers, Star executives assert.

Speaking to Indiantelevision.com, Star India senior vice president marketing and communication Ajay Vidyasagar says, "The idea for the (talent hunt) show came to us when we saw that The Great Indian Comedy Show was doing well from Mondays to Thursdays. With the concept in mind we also roped in the humour icons Navjot Sindhu and Shekhar Suman. The results have however superseded our expectations. With this week's ratings TGILC has risen to be the number one show on Fridays at the 10 pm slot. Also, well made comedies have always had a place of their own despite the dominance of soaps on Indian television."

If one tracks the performance of TGILC for the last four weeks vis--vis Sony's CID & Crime Patrol and Zee's Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2005, very clearly TGILC's success can be attributed to it eating into Sony's audiences while Zee remains unaffected.

Date
TGILC
CID
Crime Patrol
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2005
17/06/05
24/06/2005
1/7/2005
8/7/2005
Source: Tam, TG - CS4+, Market - HSM, Period - 12/6-9/7

Adds Vidyasagar, "Drama leads the pack, with reality shows following. Although TGILC is a comedy show that is poised to hit the big league. On the back of TGILC, Instant Khichdi, Sarabahai Vs Sarabhai and Bluff Master are also showing increased ratings. The show in fact has not only brought in eyeballs from competition but has also managed to cut across geographies and bring in new audiences to the Friday 10 pm slot."

If one looks at Hindi speaking regions across, Star One scored most in the Punjab, Haryana, Chandigargh belt 1 million + followed by MP (1 mn +) and then Maharashtra.

Market
Star One
Sony
Zee
Mumbai
Delhi
PHC 1 mn +
MP 1 mn +
Mah. 1 mn +
Kolkata
Source: Tam data - Relative channel shares, HSM, CS 4+, Fridays 10-11 pm

TGILC is one of the most heavily promoted shows on Star One. The launch phase saw a two week focussed campaign with spends according to industry estimates pegged between Rs 7-7.5 million with about 1500-2000 GRPS being burnt for the launch campaign.

According to data provided by TAM, overall channel shares for Star One has also been on a climb week on week.

The advertisers on the show are as follows -

Clinic All Clear Maruti (Alto) D'damas VIP frenchie Zandu Pharma
  • Parry's(Butterscotch)

One of the advertisers who requested anonymity says, "I think it has paid off well for us. It's done better that we expected it to do both in terms of the quality of programme and branding. In all a good investment because it is an economical buy."

Maxwell marketing manager Anthony Fernandes seems more muted,"In terms of mileage, currently one can only judge it by the kind of buzz it has made. The sponsorship has not come in cheap, so whether it was a good buy or not is yet to be known.

On the other hand Maruti's media manager Shaswati Saradar
is more upbeat, "It was a high risk property that we took on; so in terms of that mindset the return on risk is high. We did not expect it do so well. TGILC's performance can also be attributed to what Indian television currently has to offer. This show comes as a respite from the routine women fare. Most definitely a good buy."