Subia and her Indian Prince

zoya786uk thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Delhi wedding for runaway Romeo and Juliet
By Shekhar Bhatia

(Filed: 16/09/2006)

A Muslim teenager who fell in love with a Hindu student on the internet has fled her home in Britain against her parents' wishes and married him in India.

Subia Gaur and Ashwani Gupta at their wedding
Subia Gaur and Ashwani Gupta at their wedding which was broadcast on television throughout India

The clandestine affair between Subia Gaur, 18, and her boyfriend Ashwani Gupta, 22, has provoked intense media interest on the subcontinent and captured the imagination of the Indian public, who turned up in their hundreds to watch the ceremony.

The traditional Hindu wedding, which took place in Mr Gupta's home town of Ghaziabad, near Delhi, on Monday, was broadcast on television throughout India.

Miss Gaur, from Plaistow, east London, met her husband three years ago in an internet chatroom. They exchanged photographs, began talking secretly through the night and fell in love.

The relationship was conducted in secret for many months before Miss Gaur travelled to India to meet Mr Gupta for the first time, on the pretence of visiting her grandparents in Bombay.

"I knew the first time I met Ashwani in person that he was the one I was going to marry," she said from her new home in India. "It is hard for people to understand what we have been through. My family have put a lot of pressure on me and I didn't want to hurt them, but I had to be with the man that I love.

"Religion doesn't matter. I am Muslim and he is Hindu. I am not converting and he doesn't want me to. Ashwani and his family have accepted me for who I am."

When Miss Gaur's family discovered the relationship while she was studying for her A-Levels at a sixth-form college, she claims they pressed her into ending it. They had planned an arranged wedding for her with a Muslim. But Miss Gaur defied them and flew secretly last month to Delhi to marry Mr Gupta. Her mother, discovering she had gone, took a flight the next day to persuade her to return home. Miss Gaur claims that she and Mr Gupta, who is studying to become a financial analyst, were forced to go into hiding until they could marry.

They were given police protection after claiming that they received threats from her family, an allegation they have denied.

In turn, Miss Gaur's family told police she had been abducted.

After police interviewed the bride-to-be, officers were instructed to ensure that her family were prevented from hindering the marriage.

"I knew they would never accept Ashwani so I decided to go to India," she said. "We thought if we got married then they wouldn't be able to take me back.

"I was a normal 18-year-old Londoner before this. I never wanted the attention that I have received. I couldn't believe 1,000 people turned up uninvited to the wedding because they saw our story on the news. But if there is someone else in my position I hope my story gives them the courage to follow their heart."

Miss Gaur's father, Abdul, 46, a shop manager, fainted at his home in Newham, east London, when he was interviewed about his daughter's fate. He believed she had been "brainwashed".

The first he knew of the wedding, he said, was when he and his wife, Fameeda, 37, turned on an Indian satellite television channel at their home.

"She is a Muslim above all and she has married a Hindu and that is the most shocking thing about this — not that she has lied to us and married against our wishes," he said, weeping.

"I have two daughters and a young boy and we keep a very close watch on them to protect them. Subia likes London and designer perfumes and clothes. But the girls are teenagers and were not allowed out after school or college and certainly not near any men. But we could do nothing to protect our daughter from the evil of the internet. While we slept at night, this evil came into our home and has led to our daughter marrying a Hindu boy."

Mr Gaur denied he and his wife had made threats to kidnap Subia. "She is part of my body, my first-born child and it is madness to say that we could harm her."

Mr Ashwani's father, BB Gupta, admitted that he was concerned his daughter-in-law was too young to marry but said the couple were determined to go ahead and it was better to allow it than have them run away.

"We are reconciled to it and happy to have her in the household," he said. "It doesn't matter that she is a Muslim."

So what do you guys think, quiet young i say to have taken such dramatic step. It's not something funny but i found it funny when the Subia's father said 'But we could do nothing to protect our daughter from the evil of the internet. While we slept at night, this evil came into our home and has led to our daughter marrying a Hindu boy.". Leave your thoughts.......right or wrong decition

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Zoya ji!!
This has been discussed earlier with same article.No one need not protect this type of crazy romeo-julets !!!
Khuda-hafiz!!
Mythili
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Old story but an interesting one. Strange things do happen, it is their lives and Media should leave them alone.
Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: zoya786uk

Delhi wedding for runaway Romeo and Juliet
By Shekhar Bhatia

(Filed: 16/09/2006)

A Muslim teenager who fell in love with a Hindu student on the internet has fled her home in Britain against her parents' wishes and married him in India.

Subia Gaur and Ashwani Gupta at their wedding
Subia Gaur and Ashwani Gupta at their wedding which was broadcast on television throughout India

The clandestine affair between Subia Gaur, 18, and her boyfriend Ashwani Gupta, 22, has provoked intense media interest on the subcontinent and captured the imagination of the Indian public, who turned up in their hundreds to watch the ceremony.

The traditional Hindu wedding, which took place in Mr Gupta's home town of Ghaziabad, near Delhi, on Monday, was broadcast on television throughout India.

Miss Gaur, from Plaistow, east London, met her husband three years ago in an internet chatroom. They exchanged photographs, began talking secretly through the night and fell in love.

The relationship was conducted in secret for many months before Miss Gaur travelled to India to meet Mr Gupta for the first time, on the pretence of visiting her grandparents in Bombay.

"I knew the first time I met Ashwani in person that he was the one I was going to marry," she said from her new home in India. "It is hard for people to understand what we have been through. My family have put a lot of pressure on me and I didn't want to hurt them, but I had to be with the man that I love.

"Religion doesn't matter. I am Muslim and he is Hindu. I am not converting and he doesn't want me to. Ashwani and his family have accepted me for who I am."

When Miss Gaur's family discovered the relationship while she was studying for her A-Levels at a sixth-form college, she claims they pressed her into ending it. They had planned an arranged wedding for her with a Muslim. But Miss Gaur defied them and flew secretly last month to Delhi to marry Mr Gupta. Her mother, discovering she had gone, took a flight the next day to persuade her to return home. Miss Gaur claims that she and Mr Gupta, who is studying to become a financial analyst, were forced to go into hiding until they could marry.

They were given police protection after claiming that they received threats from her family, an allegation they have denied.

In turn, Miss Gaur's family told police she had been abducted.

After police interviewed the bride-to-be, officers were instructed to ensure that her family were prevented from hindering the marriage.

"I knew they would never accept Ashwani so I decided to go to India," she said. "We thought if we got married then they wouldn't be able to take me back.

"I was a normal 18-year-old Londoner before this. I never wanted the attention that I have received. I couldn't believe 1,000 people turned up uninvited to the wedding because they saw our story on the news. But if there is someone else in my position I hope my story gives them the courage to follow their heart."

Miss Gaur's father, Abdul, 46, a shop manager, fainted at his home in Newham, east London, when he was interviewed about his daughter's fate. He believed she had been "brainwashed".

The first he knew of the wedding, he said, was when he and his wife, Fameeda, 37, turned on an Indian satellite television channel at their home.

"She is a Muslim above all and she has married a Hindu and that is the most shocking thing about this — not that she has lied to us and married against our wishes," he said, weeping.

"I have two daughters and a young boy and we keep a very close watch on them to protect them. Subia likes London and designer perfumes and clothes. But the girls are teenagers and were not allowed out after school or college and certainly not near any men. But we could do nothing to protect our daughter from the evil of the internet. While we slept at night, this evil came into our home and has led to our daughter marrying a Hindu boy."

So dear Dad, she took flight at the first taste of freedom she got, even if it was just virtual. Had she met more people from the opposite sex, had she the freedom to discuss things more openly with her parents, had she nown that she would at some point of time have a say in her own life, chances are she would not have acted out in such a dramatic manner.

punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Teenagers are the same all over the world. The more you cloister them, restrict them, the more they will resist and assert their independence.

Had it been a normal family with no restrictions, the girl would not have been secretive about her crush on the boy. Her family would have been in a position to counsel her. In this case, the girl was not allowed near any men! Naturally, such girls will be even more curious about man-woman relationships.

I pity the fate of the siblings of Subia Gaur. They must be under complete house arrest now!
zoya786uk thumbnail
I mean, to leave all your family and go away with someone at such a tender age is merely stupidty. Her family were no better in caging her like some kind of animal. She isn't even mature enough to be in a marriage, she could have achieved so much more.

I agree with you on this was Punjini, can you imagine what her sister must be going through.
sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: punjini

Teenagers are the same all over the world. The more you cloister them, restrict them, the more they will resist and assert their independence.

Had it been a normal family with no restrictions, the girl would not have been secretive about her crush on the boy. Her family would have been in a position to counsel her. In this case, the girl was not allowed near any men! Naturally, such girls will be even more curious about man-woman relationships.

I pity the fate of the siblings of Subia Gaur. They must be under complete house arrest now!

Punjini, you are so right ..all this while i was thinking about pooor siblings of Subia Gaur and their fate. They were closely watched and I am not now they won't even be allowed to browse internet.

In all this I find Ashwini's dad Mr. Gupta very mature. He said he knew they were too young, but kids were so adamnant that rather than they run away he better accept them. I am sure lot of teenage parents face such things at one point, like you said, teenagers are same everywhere.

I think media should just leave them alone.
sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: zoya786uk

I mean, to leave all your family and go away with someone at such a tender age is merely stupidty. Her family were no better in caging her like some kind of animal. She isn't even mature enough to be in a marriage, she could have achieved so much more.

Zoya, I agree with you to an extend. But did you notice that her parents wanted her to arrange marriage a muslim guy once they knew about it. So girl was navie and young to take decision to marry at this age, but did you notice that parents being so older and mature were also thinking to get her married at this young age? just 'coz they found out she was having an internet relation?
punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
One of my friends, a Hindu was adamant that she wanted to marry a Christian friend of hers. Her parents did everything to dissuade her, but when they failed they told us "it is better for us to support her because like it or not, she is going to marry that boy. If we cut off relations with her, then she will be completely at the mercy of those people after marriage. The boy's parents have also not exactly accepted her as a daughter-in-law. If she needs help, she won't approach us and her in-laws might feel more emboldened to ill-treat her. But if we show that we support her, they will think twice before ill-treating her. They'll know that she has the support of her entire family behind her".

I think this was practical thinking on the part of the girl's parents. They went through all the rituals of a Christian marriage. Today that couple is still together and they have 2 kids.
zoya786uk thumbnail
What ever some think getting married at such a tender age is no way of life. Yes! Some people may be happy at marriying at such an age but to think twice how much one can achieve if she had concentrated on her studies. What kind of parents would want their child to be bonded in a relationship which he/she is physically able to continue as one would who was at the right age. I don't call this love but her innocence, in the fact that she didn't interact with men on a intimate level and when she found some affection she obliged to take such drastic step