Gappa Tappa Corner - 3 (Page 57)

anni80 Goldie
anni80
anni80

Posted: 05 July 2015 at 10:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Pooriya

Originally posted by .Neela.

Question to Pooriya on d occasion of her b'day  Tongue
Is there any specific reason that your profile name is Pooriya?  Anything in particular about the raaga?  There are so many compositions in Pooriya Dhanashree (classic Baiju Bawra HeartHae raama yeh kyaa hua - RANGEELA; Aake Teri Baahon Mein -Vansh and many others) and Pooriya Kalyan (Muralidhar Shyam He Nandlala" from Katyar  composed by Pt. Jitendra Abhisheki) that are used in movie songs / nataks but very rarely using Pooriya.  So would like to hear from you about Puriya when you get a chance.

I found an unknown (to me of course) piece of information about Pt. Jasraj (in this recital based on Raag Pooriya); perhaps many of you already know.

Enjoy!!

Hi Neela, Thanks for your wishes & I'm more than happy to answer this question, as music is my fav topic Wink I'll just try to dig more into basics so that people without background in music can know a few things.. Whoever knows better, feel free to correct me if I go wrong anywhere.. Now, please bear a long one Wink

As we know, a Raag is always tied with the time of the day. Broadly speaking, we can partition the 24 hrs in two - daytime (first half) and night-time (later half of day). When the two meet, we see what we know as "Sandhi prakash" (the light at the time of joining of 2 halves)

The Raags, which can be sung at the time of Sandhi-prakash (either at dawn or dusk) are known as Sandhiprakash raags. The commonality between all of them is - Komal Rishabh and Shudhha Gandhar& shudhha Nishad.
The list includes morning Raags like Bhairav, Kalingada etc.and evening raags like Maarwa, Pooriya & it's versions, Sohoni etc.

Here is the Swara-sancha used in these Raags:
(Capital first letter denotes shudhha swar & small first letter denotes komal/teevra swar.)

Pooriya: Sa re Ga ma Dha Ni
Pooriya Kalyan: Sa re Ga ma Pa Dha Ni
Pooriya Dhanashree: Sa re Ga ma Pa dha Ni
Poorvi: Sa re Ga Ma ma Pa dha Ni

First difference between Pooriya and Pooriya dhanashree is their Thaat.
Pooriya (& Pooriya Kalyan) belong to Maarwa thaat, whereas Pooriya Dhanashree belongs to Poorvi thaat. (Thaat is what influences Raag's Chalan, Vaadi-Samvaadi Swaras & style of delivering etc.)
While Pooriya goes the Maarwa way by using shuddha Dha & skipping Pa altogether, Pooriya Dhanashree uses komal Dha and includes Pa beautifully, mostly in avarohana. This makes it a Poorvi style raag. (However, it skips shuddha Ma, which is present in Poorvi.)

Between Pooriya & Pooriya Kalyaan, the later one makes use of Pancham but the previous one does not. Basically, we can say, Pooriya kalyan is Pooriya with Pancham or Pooriya Dhanashree with Shudhha Dhaivat.

There are many songs in Pooriya Dhanashree & in Pooriya kalyan as you mentioned. But I am not aware of any song in plain Pooriya. Though Pooriya is not as common as the other two, we do find some good renditions by the maestros.
Here are few links:

Pt. Bhimsen Joshi:

Vilayat Khan:

This is very very basic info and of course I could not go into the nitty-gritty of each of the Raags.

To answer your main question, as to why my username is Pooriya, - I just love the Raag familySmile I love all Sandhi-prakash raags and thought of taking one of them as username. So I chose a feminine, shorter and nice-sounding name for it. That's it Smile

P.S. - 
I guess, I could have saved people trouble of going through the entire post, if I had put the last para first.. But then what's the fun in that Wink

Hey Sonali,...

Thats not a trouble,,,, in fact thats very good info u shared with us... thanks a lot for that...

though I like to listen to classical music... and I myself have given 4 exams of classical music...i wasnot too much interested in its theoratical study so i left it after 4 exams...

but with ur info i recollected my old memories... so thanks for taking me back to memory lane... Tongue

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

Pooriyavidya0906veena0129.Neela.dlipmishkil88Nachiketj

anni80 Goldie
anni80
anni80

Posted: 05 July 2015 at 10:32am | IP Logged

This is another news i wanted to share... Many of u may be aware of this man...
but he is really doing a great job...  Clap Clap Clap

I hv met him personally and he is such a down to earth man...

the passion with which he is doing this work is something to get inspiration from...

The name of the person is Vinayak Ranade

u can get more info about his work on following blog...

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Pooriyavidya0906veena0129dlipmishkil88

Nachiketj IF-Stunnerz
Nachiketj
Nachiketj

Posted: 05 July 2015 at 11:03am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Pooriya

To answer your main question, as to why my username is Pooriya, - I just love the Raag familySmile I love all Sandhi-prakash raags and thought of taking one of them as username. So I chose a feminine, shorter and nice-sounding name for it. That's it Smile

@pooriya Thanks for sharing this information Clap and special thanks to Neela for asking the background of your username hence we got to know such knowledgeable info on raags  Approve

I am very much fond of music but unfortunately I couldn't learn it Unhappy 

Edited by Nachiketj - 05 July 2015 at 11:03am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Pooriyavidya0906.Neela.veena0129dlipmishkil88

mishkil88 IF-Sizzlerz
mishkil88
mishkil88

Posted: 06 July 2015 at 12:45am | IP Logged
@sonali - though i enjoy music but i do not understand much about classical - still found your reply to neela very interesting. Thumbs Up

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Pooriyavidya0906veena0129.Neela.dlip

veena0129 Goldie
veena0129
veena0129

Posted: 06 July 2015 at 1:22am | IP Logged
read all the posts which i missed for the last 15 days..baapre !!!Wacko...
nice posts...Neela ...ur MUmbai local kissa hilarious one..ROFL...
restt of the posts r also very engaging and entertaining ones...SmileClap

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

vidya0906dlipmishkil88

veena0129 Goldie
veena0129
veena0129

Posted: 06 July 2015 at 1:25am | IP Logged
Belated birthday wishes to Pooriya..aka Sonia...Party..
sorry cldn't wish u on time...

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Pooriyavidya0906mishkil88

Pooriya Senior Member
Pooriya
Pooriya

Posted: 06 July 2015 at 5:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by veena0129

Belated birthday wishes to Pooriya..aka Sonia...Party..
sorry cldn't wish u on time...

Thanks Veena  & no problem Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

veena0129

Pooriya Senior Member
Pooriya
Pooriya

Posted: 06 July 2015 at 5:14am | IP Logged
@anni: great to know about the initiative!!!  I will go through the site in detail when free. But it would be great of they provide the facility to people outside MH as well Smile
By the way, a few months back Meena Prabhu's whole set of travelogues was available for a discounted price.. Interested folks can check if it's still available..

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

spashta-waktadlip

Go to top