Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Venus.X thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
Hey guys! (And Abby ðŸ˜†)
I just caught up on Sangat and man, what a show!

Firstly, I'm so upset at Ayesha!!! Why won't she tell her mother everything? Especially since she is getting so close with her rapist. ðŸ˜¡

Secondly, I thought that Adnan would flip out if he heard that the baby girl is not his.. but looks like he doesn't believe it. I was sure that he would disown her if he finds out that Sangat is not her child but now I'm not so sure.

Thirdly, why are the makers making me like Shavez, a rapist?? They are making something as serious like rape a benign issue.  I guess they are trying to show two sides of the coin and show us how the rapist became who he is.  Still, it will take a lot to make me accept Shavez.

@abby - tnx for recommending this drama! Will visit this thread more often ðŸ˜Š
26javey thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: Venus.X

Hey guys! (And Abby ðŸ˜†)

I just caught up on Sangat and man, what a show!

Firstly, I'm so upset at Ayesha!!! Why won't she tell her mother everything? Especially since she is getting so close with her rapist. ðŸ˜¡

Secondly, I thought that Adnan would flip out if he heard that the baby girl is not his.. but looks like he doesn't believe it. I was sure that he would disown her if he finds out that Sangat is not her child but now I'm not so sure.

Thirdly, why are the makers making me like Shavez, a rapist?? They are making something as serious like rape a benign issue.  I guess they are trying to show two sides of the coin and show us how the rapist became who he is.  Still, it will take a lot to make me accept Shavez.

@abby - tnx for recommending this drama! Will visit this thread more often ðŸ˜Š

If Shavez were real and we had everyday interactions with him then we may or may not like him based on what we know. We could be amongst rapists, not know who they really are and still like them from how they behave with us. They're showing there is more to a rapist than just the beast. However, from my research on the rapist perspectives very few feel remorse. And despite the remorse we don't have to accept or like him. The victim could easily be one of us or someone dear to us (Astagfarulla). So, we watch the show and see that he has some humanity and we are not obliged to forgive just because he feels remorse. It's a very delicate topic and the way the writers are showing it (showing it's possible for a rapist to feel remorse) isn't exactly the best way. It can be handled with muh more care. If they were handling it better the audience wouldn't be rooting for him (with anyone), they wouldn't be confused on what they should feel about the rapist. A rapist is a rapist regardless of how he/she feels after the incident. And if they feel remorse that's good, but they should leave the victim alone. The victim will most likely be facing PTSD and they don't need the rapist to trigger and unless they're getting a proper treatment anything can trigger it. So, them showing Shavez feels remorse is good for Shavez because he still has his humanity. But we as an audience don't have to accept him. We see he realises he committed a sin and he should redeem himself, but would be accept one in real life? No, we wouldn't, so why would be accept a fictional one?
starstruckk thumbnail

In Sangat, the rapist is both hero and villain " and that's a problem

The Pakistani drama industry may have found its new favourite topic: rape.

We have to give TV producers credit for not shying away from addressing difficult social issues. In between the now routine doosri teesri biwi stories, the mismatched love affairs and soaps with 'mayka' or 'sasural' in their titles, there are always dramas with an original or challenging storyline.

Rape, in particular, is a highly important subject, given the steady rise of sexual assault awareness after the high-profile Nirbhaya case in neighbouring India and the steady stream of similarly tragic stories that haunt the Pakistani news cycle.

However, TV dramas often contribute to rape culture, rather than attempt to dismantle it. Hum TV's Sangat is an unfortunate example of this.

Sangat and its strange plot twist

The happily wedded couple of Sangat - Ashy and Adnan - see their life turn upside down - Publicity photo The happily wedded couple of Sangat - Ashy and Adnan - see their life turn upside down - Publicity photo

Sangat is the story of Ashy (Saba Qamar) who is happily married to her college sweetheart Adnan (Mikaal Zulfikar). On a rare visit to her mother's house, Ashy falls prey to her long-time admirer Shavez (Zahid Ahmed), who breaks in under the premise of a robbery and rapes her.

Ashy soon discovers that she is expecting a child and is forced to go through with the pregnancy by her mother. Neither her in-laws nor her husband suspect a thing and are ecstatic about the new addition to their family whom they name Sangat.

TV serials tend to follow an unfortunate formula in the treatment of rape: a happy family life is shattered and supposedly strong relationships are tested to breaking point. But a majority also try to portray the difficulties of the victim. One of the best dramas to explore this topic with the respect and gravity it deserves has been the award-winning drama, Roag.

Sangat, however, defies all norms (and logic) by trying to whitewash the rapist. Whatever commercial or clichd faults dramas like Chup Raho or Main Gunehgaar Nahi had, one thing was for sure: the rapist was the bad guy.

The rapist in Sangat: Hero bhi, villian bhi?

In Sangat, everyone's nice to the rapist villian - Publicity photo In Sangat, everyone's nice to the rapist villian - Publicity photo

In what seems like an attempt to appear "different", Sangat sets up the rapist to be as much of a victim of cruel circumstance as his prey. So far into the story we have learnt he suffered as a child, was brought up by a single father and at one point his mother was robbed at gunpoint.

What's more, the TV serial imparts his character with a hero-like desirability. Despite the fact that he is known to be good-for-nothing goonda type, his landlady swears that though she isn't sure what he does outside the house, he enters their home with a modestly lowered gaze.

If anyone were in doubt of this rapist's complete sharafat, the writer has added the character of Salma, the lovelorn daughter of Shavez's landlord who throws herself at him with monotonous regularity.

Salma and her family desperately try to trap our hero - oops, I mean villian - into marriage, but he steadfastly maintains that "Main kissee aur sey mohabbat karta hoon" (I love someone else) in Zahid Ahmed's no doubt sonorous voice.

False, dangerous messages in Sangat

12 episodes down and apart from Shavez's 'love' for his victim, writer Zafar Mairaj has given us no clue why this misunderstood paragon would actually commit such a heinous act.

The audience is left to conclude that this rape was about unrequited, obsessive love rather than a particularly evil act of premeditated violence. The whole story feeds into the myth that rape is about sex or lust or attraction, when the overwhelming evidence from studies on this subject indicate clearly that it is about dominance, power, control and humiliation.

The seeds of repentance do not come from Shavez's realization of the horror of his actions but from the pain he sees he has caused the woman he "loves". The writer does a great disservice to victims of sexual violence by romanticizing the rapist and his motivations.

The drama does get one thing right, however: many rapists (but not all) are known to their victims, not strangers. Shavez is the son of an old colleague of Ashy's mother and his assault is a carefully planned attack disguised by the robbery.

Much of the drama is then taken up with Shavez's regret, his tears and his many contrived meetings with the unfortunate Ashy.

The story sets up a dangerously false equivalency between the perpetrator's need for forgiveness and the victim's need to recover, placing the burden of resolution firmly on the victim's shoulders. The completely baseless idea that the victim can only be free to live her life if she forgives this man is insinuated throughout the story.

No respite for the victim, Ashy?

Ashy's in-laws don't make her life any easier - Publicity photo Ashy's in-laws don't make her life any easier - Publicity photo

To be fair, the story does explore the victim's painful recovery from the assault but again we are treated to the typical "zamana kiya kahey ga" mother so beloved of Pakistani dramas.

Despite being a highly educated woman of some wisdom and experience, Ashy's mother oppresses her, warning her never to trust her husband or expect his support. Amazingly, Ashy cannot even bring herself to tell her mother the rapist's identity.

Another beloved trope of Pakistani dramas is then dredged up in the form of the unreliable husband.

Ashy wants to share her terrible experience with her husband, but is cowed into silence when he thanks her for saving the "family's honour". He never wonders as to why his wife is so traumatised by an armed robbery, and seems more irritated bystander than loving husband, leaving Ashy so disappointed in him that she seriously considers leaving him.

The only person Ashy confides in is a psychiatrist who suffers from a huge compassion deficit and tells Ashy off for "distancing herself from her husband".

She even asks Ashy whether she would forgive Adnan if he came to her after making a similar ghalti. Is rape just a ghalti, a mistake? Is suffering rape and asking for support equivalent to a man raping another person and asking for his wife's support? Can a criminal and a victim command the same kind of empathy?

This mind boggling contradiction is presented to the audience as a moment of revelation and acceptance for Ashy, who now understands her strangely insensitive husband.

In contrast to Adnan's unhelpful attitude, the writer allows the rapist Shavez to save Ashy and her child's life by giving blood just at the right moment and reinforces this forced irony with dialogues like "Vo jis ka khoon aap ki ragho main daur raha hai" when referencing him.

Essentially the writer is building a case for the perpetrator's acquittal from his crime, minimizing and mitigating his heinous actions. This story effectively emasculates the husband who is seen as obstructive, unhelpful and very possibly negative whenever he learns the truth.

Shavez has the universe on his side

In contrast to Ashy's plight, Shavez has a lot of help from the local Imam who gives him shelter and advises him on how to attain forgiveness. Ignorant of Shavez's guilt, Ashy's mother takes him under her wing and into her house, instead of using that time to focus on her daughter. Despite his disappointment in his son, Shavez's father is always looking out for him, as is the ever hopeful Salma.

One is reminded of Paulo Coelho's words "And when you want something, the entire universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." The Universe of Sangat is indeed conspiring to absolve Shavez of his guilt.

The strangest part of this story is that though Ashy looks at her attacker with contempt, she isn't angry enough to confront him or even ask the most basic of questions: "Why did you do this?" or "Why me?". Contrast this with the victims who fill the news risking life and limb begging for justice, while Ashy's only demand is that Shavez get out of her life.

She will of course be punished for even that presumption of self-determination, and soon. In one of the most recent episodes, a desperate Ashy searches for Shavez as her child is in dire need of his blood for a lifesaving transfusion. However, this also drives home the point that once a woman carries her child with a rapist to term, her relationship with him will never end. In fact, it has just begun.

The team of Sangat

Director Kashif Nisar is no stranger to challenging material, having directed the award-winning Ullu Baraye Farukht Nahi. As can be expected from someone of his talent, he has managed to make a very compelling serial out of this flawed storyline and that is the real tragedy. Such a well-made serial should have been a great opportunity to raise awareness and inform the viewing public.

Saba Qamar is without doubt one of the industry's better actresses and gives a rock steady performance as Ashy. Mikaal Zulfikar's equally measured performance is the other saving grace. Sonia Mishal as Salma also manages to impress despite her clichd role.

While Zahid Ahmed as Shavez works really well as the villain of the story, his performance as the penitent sinner lacks authenticity. When face to face with his prey, he may not be able to meet her eyes but away from her retains all the stubborn swagger of an overconfident man. True repentance requires humility, something sorely missing in Shavez's character.

Perhaps the writer has blurred the lines so much that even Zahid Ahmed is confused; a recent post on his official Facebook page showed a picture of the masked Shavez with the completely inappropriate hashtag "#Herobhivillainbhi". Hopefully this was a clueless admin and not the actor himself.

Missed opportunities

There are a lot of missed opportunities in Sangat. The OST is itself highly offensive ,with the lyrics 'Mera jism mera gunaah hai' (my body is my sin) and 'Maa e Maa sazaa hai sazaa hai' (oh mother, I am punished). It is the act that should be stigmatized; it is the perpetrator who should be punished. What a revolution it would be if instead of using these nauseating lyrics over the victim, they were played for the actual perpetrator.

Instead of playing to the audience's worst fears and ignorance, the entertainment media should wake up to its responsibilities and think about enlightening and educating the masses.

Moreover, must every mother in every drama be as cruel and unfeeling as the ones in Sangat and Chup Raho? When will we see a woman who stands up for her child, if not in public then at least in private? When will we see a male character who is strong enough to support his wife through such a distressing life event? If we can have a repentant rapist, then why not a real man as a husband, one who despite his pain and misgivings, acts as his wife's covering?

Each time we reinforce such stereotypes, we do injustice to victims everywhere.

starstruckk thumbnail
Mehreen Jabbar also quoted this article and said this:

So irresponsible and unbelievable. Rapists can never be 'understood' or 'heroes'. They need to be locked up for their crimes and the VICTIMS need empowerment and support from their friends, family and society so they can report rape and shame the rapist instead of feeling shame themselves. Shame is only for the rapist. Period.

ABBY_JERAN thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9
COMING TO THE ARTICLE STAR POSTED...
..THERE R MANY POINTS WHICH DOESNT GO WITH THE SHOW BUT IT SEEMED TO B WRITTEN TO FORCIBLY DEGRADE IT 

Ok just read the whole...first things first...the person who reviewed the show seems to hv some enemity towards our show coz many of the things written there r not what that was actually shown in the show 

For example...the writer compared ashis mom with chup rahos mom...u may not hv seen chup raho but I did and man there the mom was really very weak n cudnt raise a voice in spite of knowing rhe rapist is her son in law...whereas here Saba mom was so smart and practical in dealing with the whole situation...the way she talked Saba out of the misery n asking her to look forward was something I hv never seen in shows coz usually in other shows the raped gals mom behaves more hysterical than the GAL herself...Saba mom is nowhere a coward as the chup raho drama mom from any aspect...so there goes one forced criticism

Then comes the 2nd...coming to white washing shavez...NOT FOR A SINGLE SCENE SHAVEZ WAS DEFENDED IN THE DRAMA...through his convo with the moulovi zafar sir made it very clear how BIG a crime rape is and there is no way to allude the punishment but one can reduce the guilt by repenting and by asking forgiveness which was again shown very realistically

The writer said shavez can't look at ashi.but otherwise he has no repentance and an over confident man who is proud n feel no remorse...THATS UTTER RUBBISH...even when he isn't with ashi shavez was shown repenting regretting cursing himself every moment ...showing his childhood bitter memories r NOT JUSTIFYING THE RAPE but jus letting the audience know why he is so frustrated from inside since such a long time that finally the bubble burst now n he committed the crime he never meant to ...

Again the writer claimed shavez to b good for nothing ...but he actually did used to help his father with the nursery work...

Then the review WRONGLY SAID shavez ashi keep bumping into each other and i DISAGREE here as well ...coz unlike in Hindi soaps where the hero heroine keeps bumping into each other out of rhe blue here at least we got the meetings with LOGICAL CIRCUMSTANCES EVERY TIME...be it for sangat...or when he comes to ask for forgiveness...when ashi mikaal comes to his dad's nursery to buy plants...n the latest when ashi tells him I forgive u ...so each n every interaction between zahid ashi were situational...not just put into the script for the heck of it
ABBY_JERAN thumbnail
Coming to the comments made on Salma...neither is she throwing herself on shavez neither r their scenes cheesy as it's said in the review...if shavez Salma scenes were shown in such a bad light then there wudnt hv been so many fans of them in the first place...
starstruckk thumbnail
The show is making audiences have mixed feelings towards a rapist and that is plain wrong. Add to the fact that the victim is very confused and helpless doesn't help either.
ABBY_JERAN thumbnail
Originally posted by: starstruckk

The show is making audiences have mixed feelings towards a rapist and that is plain wrong. Add to the fact that the victim is very confused and helpless doesn't help either.

The audience is confused coz it's NOT TOTALLY A RAPE STORY...the story is about sangat and how each n every person related to her will join hands to mk her survive...how people will luv her in different ways instead of being a rape child

Audience is confused coz the show is not going the way they wanted a typical rape show to progress 

It has branches which they didn't expect 

And that's what mks the show as a winner 

And shavez got so much hype partly coz of zahids stardom as main lead hero 

That's why everyone is linking him with saba q romantically from epi 1 whereas till now there has been so such track 

The show gave a new dimension to a rape story which is not just about the victim n her parents banging their heads on the wall locking themselves in bathroom episodes after episodes until a knight in shining armour comes to tell her she is pure 

Here it's very different and rape is NOT the main story...it's just the base of the story...the main story about SANGAT is still to unveil 

As of now we r watching how sangat is already intertwining the characters in a very realistic way 
26javey thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I don't condone how the show is going. Like Star said having mixed feelings about the rapist is plain wrong. Would we ever have mixed feelings about a rapist in real life? No, we would. So, why should we in reel life? 
Abby, you just said he feels guilt after seeing Ashi in pain. Does that mean he feels guilt for his actions or the consequences of his actions? I'm not sure that's clear. He feels guilt, which he should, but why can't he feel it behind bars? I recently read an article which talks about how we condone rape and rapist by letting them roam freely. By telling the victim to let them be and move on. It really hit me and we shouldn't. We shouldn't want it on television either. 

And as for people shipping Shavez and Salma, it's just sad. The poor girl deserves someone better. A rapist is a rapist just like a murderer is a murderer. Both are heinous crimes and should not be forgiven. 
ABBY_JERAN thumbnail
Originally posted by: 26javey

I don't condone how the show is going. Like Star said having mixed feelings about the rapist is plain wrong. Would we ever have mixed feelings about a rapist in real life? No, we would. So, why should we in reel life? 

Abby, you just said he feels guilt after seeing Ashi in pain. Does that mean he feels guilt for his actions or the consequences of his actions? I'm not sure that's clear. He feels guilt, which he should, but why can't he feel it behind bars? I recently read an article which talks about how we condone rape and rapist by letting them roam freely. By telling the victim to let them be and move on. It really hit me and we shouldn't. We shouldn't want it on television either. 

And as for people shipping Shavez and Salma, it's just sad. The poor girl deserves someone better. A rapist is a rapist just like a murderer is a murderer. Both are heinous crimes and should not be forgiven. 

None of the above points earlier is shown in the show 

By the moulovi shavez convo it was made VERY MUCH CLEAR by the writer to the viwers that HOW BIG A GUNAAH is rape considered in Islam and it's an unforgivable crime doesn't matter how much he repents now...but all he can do is minimize the punishment by doing repentance with true heart and asking her forgiveness

Saba mom indeed tells her to move on coz for the mom the rapist was a burgler...
but she was never shown just to let the rapist move around n let him be the way it was shown in chup raho 

Saba mom is shown to b a very strong working lady here who tried her best to bring Saba to a normal life 

And no one is shipping shavez Salma ...people find their nok jhoks cute and a pleasant comic Break from the other otherwise tensed scenes