India-Forums

-StoriesByRabindranathTagore- DiscussionThread (Page 26)

SayaneeH.Lecter IF-Dazzler
SayaneeH.Lecter
SayaneeH.Lecter

Posted: 05 August 2015 at 9:50am | IP Logged
@Riti hey welcome back .. you missed Kabuliwala .. that was a must watchUnhappy

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

riti4u

SayaneeH.Lecter
SayaneeH.Lecter

Posted: 05 August 2015 at 9:58am | IP Logged
Ohh I forgot to say .. Next Story - "Khokababu" - I guess based on "Khokababur Pratyabartan" - The Return of Khokababu. Legendary Bengali actor Uttam Kumar played the role with such perfection it's difficult to forget. However, Jai Sengupta, the actor playing the protagonist is a good actor and Basu will direct him right. 

BTW one warning- after Kabuliwala again be ready with tissues or buckets .. it will be needed LOL

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-.Merit.-sillage.Neerjaa

Neerjaa IF-Sizzlerz
Neerjaa
Neerjaa

Posted: 05 August 2015 at 12:29pm | IP Logged
 AB did good job with  Broken nest ,  Here the actor who played Amol ,starts growing on you slowly and his eyes speaks what he could not say . Tagore has captured human emotions so beautifully where you find none is at fault . Amol with his carefree persona and with that having interest in art , music makes his place in Charu,s heart who gradually gets pulled towards him . Both have the same interest . Have not seen the Bengla movie with Soumen Chatterji but found in YT. Not being Bengali , always wanted to see this movie as was curious to know its ending .

Was reading Satyajit Ray ,s vision of "Nastanirh" as Charulata . Wanted to share here as there might be many like me  

Charulata (The Lonely Wife) was Ray's twelfth feature film. It was also the director's favorite. Ray described the film as the one which has the least defects. In an interview with 'Cineaste' magazine, when asked about his most satisfying film, Ray said, "Well, the one film that I would make the same way, if I had to do it again, is Charulata."

The opening sequence is a piece of cinematic poetry. We see the young wife Charulata moving from one window to another in her house. She observes the activities of the outside world through the window blinds using opera glasses. She is like a caged bird in her mansion. We sense her curiosity and desire to know the outside world.

As she moves to the interior corridor of the house, we see her intellectual husband. He is too engrossed in a book and walks past her without even noticing her presence. She watches him as he walks away and stands reading. Charu raises her opera glasses and looks again as if he too belongs to the outside world. As Bhupati disappears from the view, she is expressionless and lets the opera glasses slip down. The camera is pulled back sharply, "like a flourish with a pen at the end of an essay ..." in Ray's words. Without a dialogue being spoken, we know Charulata is condemned to her loneliness and boredom.

Ray conveys the innermost feelings and thoughts of his characters without any dazzling technique and with minimal dialog. An another wonderful sequence is the swing sequence in the garden. In this scene Charu, who has been resisting her feelings for Amal, gives in and admits her love to herself. It is about eight-minute long sequence with almost no dialogue. With innovative camera and narrative style, Ray depicts Charu's state of mind and her dilemma.

In the final sequence, as Bhupati returns home after wandering aimlessly, Charu opens the door. Gently and with hesitation, she asks him to enter. A wavering Bhupati enters the door and reaches toward her hand. The shot is frozen and is followed with still images of Charu's half-lit face, Bhupati's half-lit face, a servant holding a lamp, a mid-shot of Charu and Bhupati and finally a long-shot of them. As the music rises the words "Nastanirh" (Bengali, The Broken Nest) fill the screen. It was ray's cinematic answer to Tagore's original ending in which Bhupati has to go out of town and Charu asks him to take her with him. He hesitates to which Charu says "Thak" meaning "Let it be". As Ray explained later, it was his visual equivalent of the word "Thak". "The two are about to reconcile and then prevented from doing so."

All the interiors were shot in studio. The sets are meticulously researched and detailed to create an authentic atmosphere. All the three major characters - Charulata played by Madhabi, Amal played Soumitra Chatterjee and Bhupati played by Sailen Mukherjee - have performed brilliantly.

Edited by Neerjaa - 05 August 2015 at 12:30pm

-.Merit.-sillage.riti4u

riti4u IF-Stunnerz
riti4u
riti4u

Posted: 05 August 2015 at 11:56pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by SayaneeH.Lecter

Hughey sayanee...actually i did see one episode of Kabuliwala..i didnt get if it was last episode or not..coz after a while i saw some other story was goin onConfused
SayaneeH.Lecter
SayaneeH.Lecter

Posted: 06 August 2015 at 2:02am | IP Logged
Originally posted by riti4u

Hughey sayanee...actually i did see one episode of Kabuliwala..i didnt get if it was last episode or not..coz after a while i saw some other story was goin onConfused

Anurag Basu did one mistake that he dragged Mini's character in another story - "Punishment" .. most of us didn't like it .. just check long discussion we did on it 2 pages ago .. and as Neerja said people who didn't read Kabuliwala will get confused you too got confused, that's natural. Anurag Basu said he regrets dragging Mini's story. Anyway, Kabuliwala starts with little Mini and ends when Kabuliwala came to bid adieu to Mini and discovered she has grown up and getting married. 

I won't reveal the story .. if you missed it read it Riti .. I am sure some free e-book will be available .. this is one of my 2 favorite short stories .. It's Kobiguru's one masterpiece that never becomes old 

EDITED 

Here is an ebook link of Kabuliwala in English .. only It is Rahmat Kabuliwala .. don't know why they turned Rehmun here .. Rahmat it is.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/rubel/kabuliwala.html

Edited by SayaneeH.Lecter - 06 August 2015 at 3:08am

-.Merit.-sillage.Neerjaa

SayaneeH.Lecter
SayaneeH.Lecter

Posted: 06 August 2015 at 2:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Neerjaa

AB did good job with  Broken nest ,  Here the actor who played Amol ,starts growing on you slowly and his eyes speaks what he could not say . Tagore has captured human emotions so beautifully where you find none is at fault . Amol with his carefree persona and with that having interest in art , music makes his place in Charu,s heart who gradually gets pulled towards him . Both have the same interest . Have not seen the Bengla movie with Soumen Chatterji but found in YT. Not being Bengali , always wanted to see this movie as was curious to know its ending .

Was reading Satyajit Ray ,s vision of "Nastanirh" as Charulata . Wanted to share here as there might be many like me  

Charulata (The Lonely Wife) was Ray's twelfth feature film. It was also the director's favorite. Ray described the film as the one which has the least defects. In an interview with 'Cineaste' magazine, when asked about his most satisfying film, Ray said, "Well, the one film that I would make the same way, if I had to do it again, is Charulata."

The opening sequence is a piece of cinematic poetry. We see the young wife Charulata moving from one window to another in her house. She observes the activities of the outside world through the window blinds using opera glasses. She is like a caged bird in her mansion. We sense her curiosity and desire to know the outside world.

As she moves to the interior corridor of the house, we see her intellectual husband. He is too engrossed in a book and walks past her without even noticing her presence. She watches him as he walks away and stands reading. Charu raises her opera glasses and looks again as if he too belongs to the outside world. As Bhupati disappears from the view, she is expressionless and lets the opera glasses slip down. The camera is pulled back sharply, "like a flourish with a pen at the end of an essay ..." in Ray's words. Without a dialogue being spoken, we know Charulata is condemned to her loneliness and boredom.

Ray conveys the innermost feelings and thoughts of his characters without any dazzling technique and with minimal dialog. An another wonderful sequence is the swing sequence in the garden. In this scene Charu, who has been resisting her feelings for Amal, gives in and admits her love to herself. It is about eight-minute long sequence with almost no dialogue. With innovative camera and narrative style, Ray depicts Charu's state of mind and her dilemma.

In the final sequence, as Bhupati returns home after wandering aimlessly, Charu opens the door. Gently and with hesitation, she asks him to enter. A wavering Bhupati enters the door and reaches toward her hand. The shot is frozen and is followed with still images of Charu's half-lit face, Bhupati's half-lit face, a servant holding a lamp, a mid-shot of Charu and Bhupati and finally a long-shot of them. As the music rises the words "Nastanirh" (Bengali, The Broken Nest) fill the screen. It was ray's cinematic answer to Tagore's original ending in which Bhupati has to go out of town and Charu asks him to take her with him. He hesitates to which Charu says "Thak" meaning "Let it be". As Ray explained later, it was his visual equivalent of the word "Thak". "The two are about to reconcile and then prevented from doing so."

All the interiors were shot in studio. The sets are meticulously researched and detailed to create an authentic atmosphere. All the three major characters - Charulata played by Madhabi, Amal played Soumitra Chatterjee and Bhupati played by Sailen Mukherjee - have performed brilliantly.

Thanks Neerja for sharing it .. Satyajit Ray was one in a billion talent .. as an author, film director, music director, illustrator - everywhere he stood apart as a master of the craft. I remember the scene where Charu was looking through the window with an opera glass. It's an iconic scene and I forgot the movie but never forgot this scene. I must download the film and watch it. 

I just checked your one previous post .. I didn't know you are not a Bengali .. you have good understanding of Bengali literature and films .. Do you live in Kolkata or anywhere near?? 

-.Merit.-sillage.Neerjaa

Neerjaa IF-Sizzlerz
Neerjaa
Neerjaa

Posted: 06 August 2015 at 4:23am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Neerjaa

Thanks Neerja for sharing it .. Satyajit Ray was one in a billion talent .. as an author, film director, music director, illustrator - everywhere he stood apart as a master of the craft. I remember the scene where Charu was looking through the window with an opera glass. It's an iconic scene and I forgot the movie but never forgot this scene. I must download the film and watch it. 

I just checked your one previous post .. I didn't know you are not a Bengali .. you have good understanding of Bengali literature and films .. Do you live in Kolkata or anywhere near?? 

I grew up in Haryana but fond of literature from school days and had some shopkeeper who had all literature whether in Hindi or in other language .Now in Delhi ,   Yes got interested in Bengali literature .I love the language . I love the music and the actors of that old era . You will find it funny that i love to bring the old melodies with some of todays actors who I think just gel with that era . I made some on Bengali songs and got translated in English from someone . But I understand little bit of Bengali .Loved these songs as someone asked me and gave me links . Do not know if it fits or not but was keen to use these ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYOvB54x_Z4      This one is fromSonar Khancha  Aparna Sen & Uttam Kumar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGvfDJ0TskU.    Teen Bhuboner Pare:(1969) Soumitra chatterjee and  Tanuja. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgUYXLiZLtA;   Deep Jele Jai . with Suchitra Sen, and then Kohra in Hindi had the same music. 
I just understand music as it has no language you just have to feel .

Edited by Neerjaa - 06 August 2015 at 4:24am

-.Merit.-sillage.SayaneeH.Lecter

riti4u IF-Stunnerz
riti4u
riti4u

Posted: 06 August 2015 at 4:39am | IP Logged

Originally posted by riti4u

Anurag Basu did one mistake that he dragged Mini's character in another story - "Punishment" .. most of us didn't like it .. just check long discussion we did on it 2 pages ago .. and as Neerja said people who didn't read Kabuliwala will get confused you too got confused, that's natural. Anurag Basu said he regrets dragging Mini's story. Anyway, Kabuliwala starts with little Mini and ends when Kabuliwala came to bid adieu to Mini and discovered she has grown up and getting married. 

I won't reveal the story .. if you missed it read it Riti .. I am sure some free e-book will be available .. this is one of my 2 favorite short stories .. It's Kobiguru's one masterpiece that never becomes old 

EDITED 

Here is an ebook link of Kabuliwala in English .. only It is Rahmat Kabuliwala .. don't know why they turned Rehmun here .. Rahmat it is.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/rubel/kabuliwala.html

Thanks for link Sayanee..i have read the story in school and i remember a movie too but i was confused with ending...I thought Mini doesnt recognise him... and thats sad part of ending...where he thinks that his daughter too wont recognise him..but here Mini's dad just gave him money when he comes back ..n that was the end..Confused

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

-.Merit.-sillage.SayaneeH.LecterNeerjaa

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Epic Channel Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index