I Don't Miss Anything About Bollywood: Kumar Gaurav - Page 4

Posted: 8 years ago
Most of my favorite songs of the 80s were lip-synced by Kumar Gaurav. 
Originally posted by atominis

Naam and Khalnayak are scenario like Deewar (in some ways even inspired by Deewar and Mother India). The guy with grey shades on his role owned the movies. The good guy got ignored.

His father Rajendra Kumar also got ignored in Mother India and Sunil Dutt walked away with all accolades as Birju. But his dad was fortunate enough to get good films and found his groove in romantic or family drama type films with great music, hence Jubilee Kumar. Whereas he just got lost in the crowd.

He looked far better with 80s ladies like Poonam Dhillon and others unlike Anils or Jackies who looked rather older and rugged.

I think timing beat him. Had he debuted in late 80s he would be better received. He must be too chikna for that action/masala era. Just bad luck.

He is a big example of how famous and rich father also can't make a star out of his son. Rajendra Kumar was among the richest movie personalities even in early 90s. Still he couldn't prop up his son.

I think he has enough moolah to live a comfortable life given his inheritance as well as businesses. So it is fine if he doesn't want to consider showbiz again.

Sometimes I wonder that too!  The 80s was the crappiest decade in Bollywood history with the exception of a few good movies.  But other than that, I can't watch most of them.  Even Love Story seemed different compared to other 80s movies.  It was beautifully shot with good quality cinematography.  It had good music too.  Since it came out in 1981 it still had somewhat of a 70s vibe to it.  It's the only movie where Gaurav wears bell-bottom pants, lol.  I think if he debuted in the 70s, 90s, or even today, he might have been more successful.  Plus, I pictured him and Poonam Dhillon to be like a Rishi-Neetu type couple - young, cute, and innocent!

Edited by lhcj21 - 8 years ago

Ihcj21

Yes Romance is the film whose songs play all the time on TV along with his debut of course.

He did look very good with Poonam Dhillon.

He has featured in some very nice songs in an era that's considered the worst music-wise.

Thanks for further info about him.

I have seen FB fan pages for films like Star and Romance. I hadn't even heard of these films till I watched few songs on TV and came across their FB pages.

It is all about fate or how you market yourself. Maybe he should have tried to do some romantic film in late 80s or early 90s when the tide was turning. I find him more deserving than his father though.

What's his educational qualification? His father was a PhD besides being a superstar!

The only thing I was able to find about his education is Bishop Cotton School.  

I feel like he's very choosy when it comes to movies.  In his entire career span he did about 30 movies and he is not in Bollywood because he says he's not getting good offers.  Also, I feel like he could have tried a little harder in Bollywood in his young days.  It's too bad.  He is a talent gone to waste.
Originally posted by Rangeelaa

lol, I remember my mom saying she was sooo in love w/him after Love Story, she was in school then and watched the movie over 14 times for him. He was like the Hrithik Roshan of that time, overnight stars. Even Salman mentions his stardom then here and there
He aged kinda badly, I really loved Love Story, its one of my favorite romantic movies also one of the first old bwood movies I watched :)

(although that actress was kinda bad,still I recommend the movie its really cute)

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhthkK6L9XY[/YOUTUBE]

Ahhh!!!  Thank you for posting this!!!!  I love this song!!  I still listen to it often.  Yes, he was the teen heartthrob of that time.  And Vijayata...she wasn't too bad in the movie, but her voice was kind of annoying 🥱.  Still a very cute movie and a classic!

He was an overnight star post his debut. (Even today if a newbie does exceptional in his debut the only fear is to avoid being the next Kumar Gaurav)

But I guess a couple of wrong moves ruined it for him.

He looks much better than his dad.

But it's fate I guess. Aamir also had many flops post debut but stuck on and finally found groove. But this guy sort of vanished.

Dad became Jubilee Kumar and a superstar of his time. Son got reduced to a one film wonder.  😭

He was lauded for performance in Naam also. AB had given gifts to him and Sanju baba for their performances. So impressed he was with their work.

I have heard he was a quite a youth icon for a while in 80s. His songs still play on TV. He had worked in Kaante also. But I wonder why he again moves away. Many have tried their luck on TV instead but he didn't even do that.

Anyway, his life, his choice. He wasn't that bad either though.

Exactly.  Sometimes I still don't understand it.  He had all the makings of a star.  Good looks, decent acting skills, and lots of potential.  I think it's partly because he was picky when it came to movies and he didn't choose the right films.  Aamir Khan seemed pretty determined to get back on top and never gave up.  I think maybe Gaurav could have tried a little harder.  But I also think luck was a factor.  Sometimes people who are not talented or who don't deserve stardom get it simply because of luck.  I will always believe Gaurav deserved way more than what he got.
Originally posted by MiniRulz

Yup I had read that Raj Kapoor and Rajendar kumar were good friends and wanted to become relatives but their friendship turned sour when Kumar gaurav refused to marry reema.

It's true, these two had a love story in real life.  Unfortunately, it ended.

This is the moment both get their first taste of success.  The Dehli premiere of Love Story in 1981.
i remember watching love story in school.rocky also released around the same time.girls were equally crazy about Kumar Gaurav as well as Sanjay dutt.i think he was a very soft guy and his personal life was complicated.he was involved with vijayata pandit and engaged to rima kapoor,raj kapoors daughter at the same time.he eventually married namrata,sunil dutts daughter.
i loved his pairing with poonam dhillon! He was one of the good looking heros in 80s
Originally posted by sochona

i remember watching love story in school.rocky also released around the same time.girls were equally crazy about Kumar Gaurav as well as Sanjay dutt.i think he was a very soft guy and his personal life was complicated.he was involved with vijayata pandit and engaged to rima kapoor,raj kapoors daughter at the same time.he eventually married namrata,sunil dutts daughter.

He definitely seems like a soft guy.  All these facts about his personal life make me wonder if his father meddled in his life and his career.  His father did produce several of his movies.  But regardless, I know that Gaurav is a hard core family man.  That's one of the things I love about him.  Family is his first priority.  And after his marriage, he maintained a very stable personal life with no drugs, alcohol, or any type of trouble.  And Salman Khan praises him to be a giver.  So hats off to him for that!  👏