Posted: 10 May 2015 at 10:38am | IP Logged
I finally caught up with this show today. Watched all 10 episodes at one go & I must say I am pleasantly surprised. I began this show with zero expectations & the promos didn't really help either. I expected it to be the same old regressive crap with a one-dimensional villain (Bhanvari Devi), possessive angry lover & a meek but strong female lead. But but but...the show's nothing like that all.
My thoughts on some of the characters -
Sher Singh : He fell in love with her at first sight & decided to marry her without knowing her feelings, but despite that he's not a blind lover. He is a guy with his own identity, with his own life that is not merely centred around the girl. She refused, he let her go. She extended her hand this time but he didn't agree immediately. He isn't blind to the reality. He questioned his mother & despite being suspicious, he gave in to his heart. After marriage his dreams shattered with her revelation. But again he knew & didn't feel the need to verify what she did. He used his brains which told him about his mother's insults to Shraddha. I liked that this was portrayed not as his blind trust in her, but portrayed as his ability to use his brains. And how awesome was it to see him taunt his mother on one hand & yet praise her at the same time. Similarly in the room with Shraddha, he was there with her & he encouraged her, but at the same time he told her that she needs to handle his mother alone the next time. It was such a pleasant surprise to see him express that she should be responsible for her own actions.
I could go on about him..but I love his ability to do one thing & mean another. He poured water on Gajra & managed to show his mother that he was on her side & ridiculed Gajra but at the same time, managed to save the girl from the embarassment of applying that ointment on him & also of course get a free massage from Shraddha with his mother watching on
Dude, how smart was that!!!!
Bhanvari Devi - Now she is the biggest surprise! A few things that caught my attention about her
1. She may be dangerous but she can be very respectful. If Shraddha had not run, this marriage would have taken place happily & respectfully.
2. She is not blindly arrogant & understands human psyche. Her mentioning that she does not contest in elections because she might lose but at the same time, she maintains that power when all those who win, seek her blessings. So without even contesting, she is the winner. Brilliant! Very similar to when she asked Shraddha to tell Sher the truth on their first night. Her brain functions differently & she seems to be able to see what others can't. Sher seems to have inherited this quality from her.
3. She is not the typical head of the household who dislikes women, even though there are no women in her house. It was nice to see her anger when she thought that Gajra's parents were trying to sell their daughter to her. And her happiness when a girl child was born.
Shraddha - She too doesnt come across as the dumb heroine who constantly insults the hero. She is not happy with her fate, but she acknowledges that it is her fault. She is not rude with Sher & neither is she a total doormat. She can see beyond his exterior to notice that he is a nice man.
Amazing acting by everyone! And the lead girl seems to have improved a lot in just 2 weeks! She is pretty decent now, as opposed to the first episode. And the other characters are amazing too! There is this grand feel, very novel-like feel to the show. At the same time, there is something so real about it. Interesting to see Gajra a young girl trapped trying to pay off her father's debts, a sweet Sumer who is attracted to her. A bar dancer like Sunehri & a gray-shaded Vikas & father. Nothing over the top nor rushed. Very to the point with no filler scenes so far. And
And my favourite - some amazing cinematography (i think thats what you call it). After Gulaal, this is another show whose cinematography I liked, though nothing can ever come close to that show. Some shots that deserve mention:
1. Shraddha's mehndi at her rooftop.
2. Shraddha peeping from the corner to look at Gajra. Their first meeting basically.
3. When Sher goes into his room to give Shraddha her sari.
4. Shraddha at the gates of the haveli feeling trapped as they are locked.
The CVs seem to love Shraddha's eyes I realised. Most of the shots capturing her eyes have turned out nice!
All in all, I am in love with this show. Looking forward to this forum & the show. Sorry for the long past...i tend to go overboard when I am excited
Edited by prc_fan1 - 10 May 2015 at 10:45am