Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hedwig_fawkes thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
50% of India has Latent TB. Yeah. It doesn't manifest in its active form in most cases but it's there. 
The problem with treating TB is that for so many years it was considered a 3rd world disease so there was no money for research. It's only after the AIDs epidemic in the west that money started coming in. The  drugs that treat TB in the west are not always effective here because of antibiotic resistance. Especially the Indian strain is generally multi-drug-resistant. The treatment is complex. 
Edited by hedwig_fawkes - 8 years ago
Originally posted by: .krackjack.

@Fiery : How reliable are these articles? Doctors ask not to rely on google for any kind of medical information, but these articles do make some sense to me...however, I don't exactly know how credible they actually are.

Of course. Poverty and lack of resources play a big role in any of the diseases. Prognosis is always better for any condition if diagnosis and treatment get started as early as possible. And poverty, lack of medical facilities, lack of financial stability definitely affect one's chances of survival. And I am sure there'll be many articles claiming the same. Reason why 3rd world countries are at the receiving end of many epidemics. Even in the US, people who don't have insurance would be more at the receiving end than someone who does and gets quicker treatment. 

Again these factors would be true for many conditions. But if one wants to isolate the direct association to TB, then it's a different debate. 
Originally posted by: taurean12

Tuberculosis is a bacterial disease which is caused by a very resistant pathogen once it gets in our body. It can lay dormant for years (latent TB) before flaring into active TB showing the appropriate symptoms. Some people develop active disease faster than others. Any thing that compromises the immune system can worsen existent TB conditions or cause active TB to manifest itself. I am sure being in jail and being malnourished did this man no favors as far as is condition goes. Another point to be made is people who live or work in prisons are at a higher risk of catching TB due to the crowded and unsanitary conditions..so it's possible that this poor man caught the disease while going to prison for saying the truth..

Catching TB ain't that hard. Even the hospital staff are at higher risk of catching TB or even traveling to any of the 3rd world countries. Dormant TB ain't as devastating. It's when it flares up + no treatment or delayed treatment that makes a bigger difference to one's prognosis.
Edited by Fiery-Phoenix - 8 years ago
TheekThaak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Fiery-Phoenix

Of course. Poverty and lack of resources play a big role in any of the diseases. Prognosis is always better for any condition if diagnosis and treatment get started as early as possible. And poverty, lack of medical facilities, lack of financial stability definitely affect one's chances of survival. And I am sure there'll be many articles claiming the same. Reason why 3rd world countries are at the receiving end of many epidemics. Even in the US, people who don't have insurance would be more at the receiving end than someone who does and gets quicker treatment. 

Again these factors would be true for many conditions. But if one wants to isolate the direct association to TB, then it's a different debate. 

The relation does look pretty obvious but I was kinda confused after reading some posts. Thanks for the quick response.  ðŸ˜³
.Sunrise. thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
Double faced shitty celebrities.
Imagine the extent of pressure and terror this mother must have faced to abandon her own son
taurean12 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Catching TB ain't that hard. Even the hospital staff are at higher risk of catching TB or even traveling to any of the 3rd world countries. Dormant TB ain't as devastating. It's when it flares up + no treatment or delayed treatment that makes a bigger difference to one's prognosis.

I disagree with the statement -catching TB ain't that hard. It is not that communicable a disease such as influenza or meningitis. TB requires close and repeated exposures to infected sputum or air droplets..that's why people who live in close proximity and in confined areas are at higher risk. Hospital staff are at risk yes but are monitored regularly. I work at a hospital but not directly with patients and am required to undergo PPD test every year..
WreckTangle. thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
poor man kept running and hiding to save his life but paid his life 
Originally posted by: taurean12

I disagree with the statement -catching TB ain't that hard. It is not that communicable a disease such as influenza or meningitis. TB requires close and repeated exposures to infected sputum or air droplets..that's why people who live in close proximity and in confined areas are at higher risk. Hospital staff are at risk yes but are monitored regularly. I work at a hospital but not directly with patients and am required to undergo PPD test every year..

Of course the statement was to be taken more in the context with the discussion at hand and i.e India. In US, precautions and measures are way better than let's say India or any other 3rd world country. I work with patients and the fact that we have to be completely off for about a year if proven positive for active TB and the fact that everyone regardless have to undergo PPD testing, shows the kinda precautions we have here, not necessary the same everywhere. The reason why TB is less prevalent in the western counterparts than in developing and 3rd world countries. I don't have any article on hand, but I am sure a big chunk of population in India has dormant TB.  So yes, there is a higher chance of catching TB down there. My statement may be a bit lose but not completely incorrect going by the discussion at hand. But I'll gladly agree to disagree if you think so otherwise.

Arshalicious thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
After reading this I can't believe a person like Salman Khan is being supported by the entire Bollywood industry!!
Shame on these people whom we are idolizing and admiring like crazy
Are the people who are non celebs so insignificant in this country? Isn't the life of every person supposed to equally important?
How can people justify this by saying that Salman saved lives by doing charity...He can save 1000 more lives but that doesnt change the fact that he did kill one of them 
Moodyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Of course the statement was to be taken more in the context with the discussion at hand and i.e India. In US, precautions and measures are way better than let's say India or any other 3rd world country. I work with patients and the fact that we have to be completely off for about a year if proven positive for active TB and the fact that everyone regardless have to undergo PPD testing, shows the kinda precautions we have here, not necessary the same everywhere. The reason why TB is less prevalent in the western counterparts than in developing and 3rd world countries. I don't have any article on hand, but I am sure a big chunk of population in India has dormant TB.  So yes, there is a higher chance of catching TB down there. My statement may be a bit lose but not completely incorrect going by the discussion at hand. But I'll gladly agree to disagree if you think so otherwise.

Yes, most people in india do have dormant TB and it flares up as per the immunity of the patient and other factors involved.