Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

The ramblings of a restless mind (Page 10)

Pehchaan.Kaun IF-Sizzlerz
Pehchaan.Kaun
Pehchaan.Kaun

Posted: 07 May 2015 at 6:16am | IP Logged

@ Desigal - Nice topic.. Not even the other side of the world, even in India the picture is pretty different from person to person.. Be it Ambani's son or regular cases which don't get the hypes..

Originally posted by Sanju_

I know I am going to get mocked and bashed, but how many of these people who are rejoicing will come forward to donate/help the victims? How many of them actually feel the justice has been served wherein the victims themselves do not equate Salman going to jail to them getting justice? Is Salman going to the jail  the most justified action? I don't really think so...not after all these years!! It is sad but couple of them rejoicing are using humanity aspect to try to hide their hatred for a celebrity! 

It's true no one is above the law and Salman is no exception...he had wronged and he is being punished, but it is also equally true that his case has been aggravated due to his celebrity status and the zealous detractors! To me compensating the victims and Salman being jailed for 2 years would be the best solution in this scenario. I detest people who drink and drive because by doing so, they are risking other innocent people's lives as well, hence, a punishment is a must. However, in this case, Salman serving 5 years of jail term is not the only ideal solution...the most important thing is victims getting the true justice...Anyway Karma bites back and Salman is being bitten as well...in fact, he has been for the longest time, but Karma is not exclusive to celebrities, some members here shouldn't forget this!!! Some of them have shown new lows in bashing Salman and celebrating his conviction, which won't go unnoticed as well!  Some of them really need to understand the difference between homicide and murder and not exchange them interchangeably!!! Anyway all said and done, I hope the best for all the parties involved and hope everyone gets to be at a peaceful state eventually, victims by getting the proper justice and Salman by serving appropriate punishment,

You bet !! I have seen people wishing fans get run over by Salman's car because they are trending #WeLoveYouSalman.. Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

desigal90

desigal90 IF-Stunnerz
desigal90
desigal90

Posted: 07 May 2015 at 2:16pm | IP Logged
Great input everyone! Thumbs Up

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

IAmLuvBolly

pallavi25 IF-Stunnerz
pallavi25
pallavi25

Posted: 07 May 2015 at 3:31pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by charminggenie

@DH- Interesting debate here, guess most have made valid points just considering Salman ,the intent  and irresponsible behaviour are relevant because unlike other cases that people are citing around Salman had a police constable on duty who warned him repeatedly about drunk driving, the speed of the vehicle , so he knew about the possible fate . He not only disregarded the law but a figure of authority and risked lives. Hence he should be made an example with the harshest punishment for this very reason that not only was he reminded of the consequences of his actions before the event but he chose to ignore them all
His case is even more worse because not only did he accept his mistake , he mislead the court, planted a witness and so many offences which clearly shows his intent was to of repentance.So unlike your friend he didn't even own up to the mistake/crime.
 This idea that he should be exempted or given some other form of punishment just will create differentiation based on economics. Rich people will keep funding NGOs , charity front and will become more reckless because they would have this safety net.Your classmate had money, resources to cover up for her mistakes, a poor person committing the same crime won't have the luxury

Very well said! Clap
@Bold: Very good points!
Intent was there to drive recklessly...the constable repeatedly warned him against driving drunk, repeatedly asked him to wait for the driver but Salman didnt listen. He didnt reduce speed when asked to by Patil. 
That makes his crime much more serious than an unintentional accident. 
And yes, he tried to mislead the court, lied, perjured, so his punishment shd be most severe!

If rich drivers can pay money to victims and get away, while poor drivers are punished for vehicular deaths, that will be skewed and unbalanced justice. 
You cannot twist and manipulate the legal system according to the criminal's financial status. 

I know it happens all the time in India and all over the world but that is NOT JUSTICE! That is INJUSTICE of the worst kind! 

Edited by pallavi25 - 07 May 2015 at 4:10pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

AnnaElsaAllBlacks1Scorpio_Velvetani_grcharminggenie

Scorpio_Velvet IF-Sizzlerz
Scorpio_Velvet
Scorpio_Velvet

Posted: 07 May 2015 at 3:47pm | IP Logged
Desigal

First of all, Salman didn't even have a driving license. I bet there's no way the girl would have got away if she was in a similar situation. Also can't deny her negligence cost a man's life. Let's say a brilliant student from a middle class family did it. Can she get away like this if they don't have the money to pay compensation? I think court would have considered such things, her age and probably given her a lesser punishment in such circumstance.

But in Salman's case, he didn't even have a license, got drunk, didn't even bother to slow down despite Mr. Patil asking him to. A court can't ignore all those things. Maybe if he had served at least 10 days in jail for the black buck case, he'd have been more respectful and serious about the law. Just 'cos he entertained millions of people doesn't mean such blatant disregard towards the law should be ignored. Not to mention his legal team messed up big time and tried to tarnish the image of everyone involved. Even the boy who took blood samples. Then there's the whol cover up and brining in the driver after 13 years, 

Edited by Scorpio_Velvet - 07 May 2015 at 3:48pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

dietcoke1AnnaElsaani_grpallavi25charminggenie

Scorpio_Velvet IF-Sizzlerz
Scorpio_Velvet
Scorpio_Velvet

Posted: 07 May 2015 at 4:00pm | IP Logged
I don't get the whole argument that one should be allowed to buy their freedom through compensation. While victim's family deserves compensation, it should be as a fine not to escape punishment. How many of you don't value your own life that you'd be OK to lose it 'cos of someone's negligence? What about a person who doesn't have immediate family members or is an orphan? Who'd you to pay blood money then? Ultimately, its he/she who lost her life. 
I heard Salman was asked to submit 19 lakhs in the court in 2002. If it hasn't reached the victims yet, we should try to improve the system. Not advocate rich people to buy their freedom using their money. 

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

dietcoke1AnnaElsapallavi25desigal90

hollyBollyWood Groupbie
hollyBollyWood
hollyBollyWood

Posted: 08 May 2015 at 11:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sanju_

you are very right...in Western countries, people have their car insurance, so God forbid, something happens, the victims get hugely compensated though it can never overshadow the loss/pain the victims go through...however, something is always better than nothing...but I know this is not how it works in South Asian countries, the victims hardly get compensated, so I feel Salman should be made to look after the victims' families rather than limiting the punishment to 5 years jail term!!!

actually, despite having car insurance, the last thing the insurance company wants to do is "fairly" or "hugely" compensate you.  the insurance company is in the business of making money just like every other company - and to do so, its willing to part with as little as it can get away with.  the only thing any money comes out is when there's a good lawyer involved in your side who can get the other side to compensate well enough (and good lawyers cost you a lot too). 
nkapoor001 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 08 May 2015 at 11:23am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
hollyBollyWood Groupbie
hollyBollyWood
hollyBollyWood

Posted: 08 May 2015 at 11:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by desigal90

Just followed up on the case on Salman. 
I have mixed feelings actually. I think most of you would know I have no sympathy or love for Salman Khan. He's not even one of my favorite actors (I don't think he acts anymore, period).

But as for his punishment, I was reflecting on drunk driving vs killing with intent, and how accountable one has to be.

You take a life, you pay for it. Granted. 
Nothing will bring back that loved one for the families that lost. But is punishing someone with jail time so many years afterwards any consolation? 
I don't know. Maybe have the accused support the victim's family, pay for college, tuition, bring them out of their poverty, do some good.

I guess the reason I'm a bit muddled up is this. Let me know what you think about this.
There's a girl in my school. I won't disclose her name, but she's somewhat known pro fitness and figure competitor in the states. 
Recently my friends and I discovered that if you go on her wikipedia page, there's a controversial story.
She was involved in a driving accident where she killed a senior citizen because she was on her phone. Her father is loaded and paid the family enough so that his daughter never showed up to any of the court hearings. The insurance company settled with the victim's family for $255 K.
Today, she just completed 2 years of medicine with me. She's on her way to becoming a Physician. 
Someone like that is becoming a doctor. 

Is what she did different from what Salman Khan did? 
How is it that in one part of the world the punishment for a crime like this is simple while in another part of the world the same crime gets you a more severe sentence?

Just made me think.
Leave your thoughts below.

P.S.
I am neither defending nor supporting Salman. Just rambling. 

I'm not sure what exactly the *facts* surrounding the accident involving the girl from your school is - but depending on the kind of charges (e.g. was it just wreckless driving or was it homicidal related charges) that were pressed against her there are many ways she could have been acquitted.  the only way you'd know the facts of the case that were presented is by examining court records (which should be public records)

as for the salman khan case, i do think he's got a moral obligation to compensate the victim's family.  but i do believe he should also be serving the jail term - the courts have deemed him guilty (remember this is a legal judgment) based on the evidence presented and for that he should be held accountable like any other citizen. 

i've seen so many fans cry afoul of this decision and saying that he doesn't deserve jail - i'd just like to put themselves in the shoes of the victim - would their reaction be the same if salman khan had inadvertently killed one of their family members while driving drunk? 

edit: leave the irrationality aside, and just look at the facts of the case. if you're found guilty of a crime, you need to be held accountable - otherwise we demonstrate that breaking law has no consequences.

Edited by hollyBollyWood - 08 May 2015 at 11:41am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

pallavi25desigal90

Go to top