Chat Clubs

India-Forums

Chat Clubs
Chat Clubs

JA CC #4, History Thread Discussions for Invitees Only (Page 44)

SindhuMenon IF-Rockerz
SindhuMenon
SindhuMenon

Posted: 14 August 2015 at 10:43pm | IP Logged
Sharing something that I read...I just shared with my children too...

Naga Naresh Karutura has just passed out of IIT Madras in Computer Science and has joined Google in Bangalore. You may ask, what's so special about this 21-year-old when there are hundreds of students passing from various IITs and joining big companies like Google?
Naresh is special. His parents are illiterate. He has no legs and moves around in his powered wheel chair.
Ever smiling, optimistic and full of spirit; that is Naresh. He says, "God has always been planning things for me. That is why I feel I am lucky." Read why Naresh feels he is lucky.

Childhood in a village
I spent the first seven years of my life in Teeparru, a small village in Andhra Pradesh, on the banks of the river Godavari . My father Prasad was a lorry driver and my mother Kumari, a house wife. Though they were illiterate, my parents instilled in me and my elder sister (Sirisha) the importance of studying.
Looking back, one thing that surprises me now is the way my father taught me when I was in the 1st and 2nd standards. My father would ask me questions from the text book, and I would answer them. At that time, I didn't know he could not read or write but to make me happy, he helped me in my studies!
Another memory that doesn't go away is the floods in the village and how I was carried on top of a buffalo by my uncle. I also remember plucking fruits from a tree that was full of thorns.
I used to be very naughty, running around and playing all the time with my friends.. I used to get a lot of scolding for disturbing the elders who slept in the afternoon. The moment they started scolding, I would run away to the fields!
I also remember finishing my school work fast in class and sleeping on the teacher's lap!

January 11, 1993, the fateful day
On the January 11, 1993 when we had the sankranti holidays, my mother took my sister and me to a nearby village for a family function. From there we were to go with our grandmother to our native place. But my grandmother did not come there. As there were no buses that day, my mother took a lift in my father's friend's lorry. As there were many people in the lorry, he made me sit next to him, close to the door.
It was my fault; I fiddled with the door latch and it opened wide throwing me out. As I fell, my legs got cut by the iron rods protruding from the lorry. Nothing happened to me except scratches on my legs.
The accident had happened just in front of a big private hospital but they refused to treat me saying it was an accident case. Then a police constable who was passing by took us to a government hospital.
First I underwent an operation as my small intestine got twisted. The doctors also bandaged my legs. I was there for a week. When the doctors found that gangrene had developed and it had reached up to my knees, they asked my father to take me to a district hospital. There, the doctors scolded my parents a lot for neglecting the wounds and allowing the gangrene to develop. But what could my ignorant parents do?
In no time, both my legs were amputated up to the hips.
I remember waking up and asking my mother, where are my legs? I also remember that my mother cried when I asked the question. I was in the hospital for three months.

Life without legs
I don't think my life changed dramatically after I lost both my legs. Because all at home were doting on me, I was enjoying all the attention rather than pitying myself. I was happy that I got a lot of fruits and biscuits.
I never wallowed in self-pity'
The day I reached my village, my house was flooded with curious people; all of them wanted to know how a boy without legs looked. But I was not bothered; I was happy to see so many of them coming to see me, especially my friends!
All my friends saw to it that I was part of all the games they played; they carried me everywhere.
God's hand. I believe in God. I believe in destiny. I feel he plans everything for you. If not for the accident, we would not have moved from the village to Tanuku, a town. There I joined a missionary school, and my father built a house next to the school. Till the tenth standard, I studied in that school.
If I had continued in Teeparu, I may not have studied after the 10th. I may have started working as a farmer or someone like that after my studies. I am sure God had other plans for me.
My sister, my friend
When the school was about to reopen, my parents moved from Teeparu to Tanuku, a town, and admitted both of us in a Missionary school. They decided to put my sister also in the same class though she is two years older. They thought she could take care of me if both of us were in the same class. My sister never complained.
She would be there for everything. Many of my friends used to tell me, you are so lucky to have such a loving sister. There are many who do not care for their siblings.
She carried me in the school for a few years and after a while, my friends took over the task. When I got the tricycle, my sister used to push me around in the school.
My life, I would say, was normal, as everyone treated me like a normal kid. I never wallowed in self-pity. I was a happy boy and competed with others to be on top and the others also looked at me as a competitor.
Inspiration
I was inspired by two people when in school; my Maths teacher Pramod Lal who encouraged me to participate in various local talent tests, and a brilliant boy called Chowdhary, who was my senior.
When I came to know that he had joined Gowtham Junior College to prepare for IIT-JEE, it became my dream too. I was school first in 10th scoring 542/600.
Because I topped in the state exams, Gowtham Junior College waived the fee for me. Pramod Sir's recommendation also helped. The fee was around Rs 50,000 per year, which my parents could never afford.
Moving to a residential school
Living in a residential school was a big change for me because till then my life centred around home and school and I had my parents and sister to take care of all my needs. It was the first time that I was interacting with society. It took one year for me to adjust to the new life.
There, my inspiration was a boy called K K S Bhaskar who was in the top 10 in IIT-JEE exams. He used to come to our school to encourage us. Though my parents didn't know anything about Gowtham Junior School or IIT, they always saw to it that I was encouraged in whatever I wanted to do.. If the results were good, they would praise me to the skies and if bad, they would try to see something good in that. They did not want me to feel bad. They are such wonderful supportive parents.

Life at IIT- Madras
Though my overall rank in the IIT-JEE was not that great (992), I was 4th in the physically handicapped category. So, I joined IIT, Madras to study Computer Science.
Here, my role model was Karthik who was also my senior in school. I looked up to him during my years at IIT- Madras. He had asked for attached bathrooms for those with special needs before I came here itself. So, when I came here, the room had attached bath. He used to help me and guide me a lot when I was here.
I evolved as a person in these four years, both academically and personally. It has been a great experience studying here. The people I was interacting with were so brilliant that I felt privileged to sit along with them in the class. Just by speaking to my lab mates, I gained a lot..
There are more good people in society than bad ones'

July 28, 2008
Words are inadequate to express my gratitude to Prof Pandurangan and all my lab mates; all were simply great. I was sent to Boston along with four others for our internship by Prof Pandurangan. It was a great experience.

Joining Google R&D
I did not want to pursue PhD as I wanted my parents to take rest now. Morgan Stanley selected me first but I preferred Google because I wanted to work in pure computer science, algorithms and game theory.
I am lucky. Do you know why I say I am lucky?
I get help from total strangers without me asking for it. Once after my second year at IIT, I with some of my friends was travelling in a train for a conference. We met a kind gentleman called Sundar in the train, and he has been taking care of my hostel fees from then on.
I have to mention about Jaipur foot. I had Jaipur foot when I was in 3rd standard. After two years, I stopped using them. As I had almost no stems on my legs, it was very tough to tie them to the body. I found walking with Jaipur foot very, very slow. Sitting also was a problem. I found my tricycle faster because I am one guy who wants to do things faster.
One great thing about the hospital is, they don't think their role ends by just fixing the Jaipur foot; they arrange for livelihood for all. They asked me what help I needed from them. I told them at that time, if I got into an IIT, I needed financial help from them. So, from the day I joined IIT, Madras , my fees were taken care of by them. So, my education at the IIT was never a burden on my parents and they could take care of my sister's Nursing studies.

Surprise awaited me at IIT
After my first year, when I went home, two things happened here at the Institute without my knowledge.
I got a letter from my department that they had arranged a lift and ramps at the department for me. It also said that if I came a bit early and checked whether it met with my requirements, it would be good.
Second surprise was, the Dean, Prof Idichandy and the Students General Secretary, Prasad had located a place that sold powered wheel chairs. The cost was Rs 55,000. What they did was, they did not buy the wheel chair; they gave me the money so that the wheel chair belonged to me and not the institute.

My life changed after that. I felt free and independent. That's why I say I am lucky. God has planned things for me and takes care of me at every step.

The world is full of good people.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Abi23BeaBeaSpringBreakersayushimehraRashmi81

SpringBreakers IF-Rockerz
SpringBreakers
SpringBreakers

Posted: 14 August 2015 at 11:38pm | IP Logged
A very Happy 69th Independence Day to allHug

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

BeaBeaayushimehraSindhuMenon

ayushimehra IF-Rockerz
ayushimehra
ayushimehra

Posted: 15 August 2015 at 2:52am | IP Logged
Originally posted by SindhuMenon

Naga Naresh Karutura has just passed out of IIT Madras in Computer Science and has joined Google in Bangalore. You may ask, what's so special about this 21-year-old when there are hundreds of students passing from various IITs and joining big companies like Google?
Naresh is special. His parents are illiterate. He has no legs and moves around in his powered wheel chair.
Ever smiling, optimistic and full of spirit; that is Naresh. He says, "God has always been planning things for me. That is why I feel I am lucky." Read why Naresh feels he is lucky.

Childhood in a village
I spent the first seven years of my life in Teeparru, a small village in Andhra Pradesh, on the banks of the river Godavari . My father Prasad was a lorry driver and my mother Kumari, a house wife. Though they were illiterate, my parents instilled in me and my elder sister (Sirisha) the importance of studying.
Looking back, one thing that surprises me now is the way my father taught me when I was in the 1st and 2nd standards. My father would ask me questions from the text book, and I would answer them. At that time, I didn't know he could not read or write but to make me happy, he helped me in my studies!
Another memory that doesn't go away is the floods in the village and how I was carried on top of a buffalo by my uncle. I also remember plucking fruits from a tree that was full of thorns.
I used to be very naughty, running around and playing all the time with my friends.. I used to get a lot of scolding for disturbing the elders who slept in the afternoon. The moment they started scolding, I would run away to the fields!
I also remember finishing my school work fast in class and sleeping on the teacher's lap!

On the January 11, 1993 when we had the sankranti holidays, my mother took my sister and me to a nearby village for a family function. From there we were to go with our grandmother to our native place. But my grandmother did not come there. As there were no buses that day, my mother took a lift in my father's friend's lorry. As there were many people in the lorry, he made me sit next to him, close to the door.
It was my fault; I fiddled with the door latch and it opened wide throwing me out. As I fell, my legs got cut by the iron rods protruding from the lorry. Nothing happened to me except scratches on my legs.
The accident had happened just in front of a big private hospital but they refused to treat me saying it was an accident case. Then a police constable who was passing by took us to a government hospital.
First I underwent an operation as my small intestine got twisted. The doctors also bandaged my legs. I was there for a week. When the doctors found that gangrene had developed and it had reached up to my knees, they asked my father to take me to a district hospital. There, the doctors scolded my parents a lot for neglecting the wounds and allowing the gangrene to develop. But what could my ignorant parents do?
I remember waking up and asking my mother, where are my legs? I also remember that my mother cried when I asked the question. I was in the hospital for three months.

Life without legs
I don't think my life changed dramatically after I lost both my legs. Because all at home were doting on me, I was enjoying all the attention rather than pitying myself. I was happy that I got a lot of fruits and biscuits.
The day I reached my village, my house was flooded with curious people; all of them wanted to know how a boy without legs looked. But I was not bothered; I was happy to see so many of them coming to see me, especially my friends!
All my friends saw to it that I was part of all the games they played; they carried me everywhere.
God's hand. I believe in God. I believe in destiny. I feel he plans everything for you. If not for the accident, we would not have moved from the village to Tanuku, a town. There I joined a missionary school, and my father built a house next to the school. Till the tenth standard, I studied in that school.
If I had continued in Teeparu, I may not have studied after the 10th. I may have started working as a farmer or someone like that after my studies. I am sure God had other plans for me.
My sister, my friend
When the school was about to reopen, my parents moved from Teeparu to Tanuku, a town, and admitted both of us in a Missionary school. They decided to put my sister also in the same class though she is two years older. They thought she could take care of me if both of us were in the same class. My sister never complained.
She would be there for everything. Many of my friends used to tell me, you are so lucky to have such a loving sister. There are many who do not care for their siblings.
She carried me in the school for a few years and after a while, my friends took over the task. When I got the tricycle, my sister used to push me around in the school.
My life, I would say, was normal, as everyone treated me like a normal kid. I never wallowed in self-pity. I was a happy boy and competed with others to be on top and the others also looked at me as a competitor.
Inspiration
I was inspired by two people when in school; my Maths teacher Pramod Lal who encouraged me to participate in various local talent tests, and a brilliant boy called Chowdhary, who was my senior.
When I came to know that he had joined Gowtham Junior College to prepare for IIT-JEE, it became my dream too. I was school first in 10th scoring 542/600.
Because I topped in the state exams, Gowtham Junior College waived the fee for me. Pramod Sir's recommendation also helped. The fee was around Rs 50,000 per year, which my parents could never afford.
Living in a residential school was a big change for me because till then my life centred around home and school and I had my parents and sister to take care of all my needs. It was the first time that I was interacting with society. It took one year for me to adjust to the new life.
There, my inspiration was a boy called K K S Bhaskar who was in the top 10 in IIT-JEE exams. He used to come to our school to encourage us. Though my parents didn't know anything about Gowtham Junior School or IIT, they always saw to it that I was encouraged in whatever I wanted to do.. If the results were good, they would praise me to the skies and if bad, they would try to see something good in that. They did not want me to feel bad. They are such wonderful supportive parents.

Life at IIT- Madras
Though my overall rank in the IIT-JEE was not that great (992), I was 4th in the physically handicapped category. So, I joined IIT, Madras to study Computer Science.
Here, my role model was Karthik who was also my senior in school. I looked up to him during my years at IIT- Madras. He had asked for attached bathrooms for those with special needs before I came here itself. So, when I came here, the room had attached bath. He used to help me and guide me a lot when I was here.
I evolved as a person in these four years, both academically and personally. It has been a great experience studying here. The people I was interacting with were so brilliant that I felt privileged to sit along with them in the class. Just by speaking to my lab mates, I gained a lot..

July 28, 2008
Words are inadequate to express my gratitude to Prof Pandurangan and all my lab mates; all were simply great. I was sent to Boston along with four others for our internship by Prof Pandurangan. It was a great experience.

Joining Google R&D
I did not want to pursue PhD as I wanted my parents to take rest now. Morgan Stanley selected me first but I preferred Google because I wanted to work in pure computer science, algorithms and game theory.
I get help from total strangers without me asking for it. Once after my second year at IIT, I with some of my friends was travelling in a train for a conference. We met a kind gentleman called Sundar in the train, and he has been taking care of my hostel fees from then on.
I have to mention about Jaipur foot. I had Jaipur foot when I was in 3rd standard. After two years, I stopped using them. As I had almost no stems on my legs, it was very tough to tie them to the body. I found walking with Jaipur foot very, very slow. Sitting also was a problem. I found my tricycle faster because I am one guy who wants to do things faster.
One great thing about the hospital is, they don't think their role ends by just fixing the Jaipur foot; they arrange for livelihood for all. They asked me what help I needed from them. I told them at that time, if I got into an IIT, I needed financial help from them. So, from the day I joined IIT, Madras , my fees were taken care of by them. So, my education at the IIT was never a burden on my parents and they could take care of my sister's Nursing studies.

After my first year, when I went home, two things happened here at the Institute without my knowledge.
I got a letter from my department that they had arranged a lift and ramps at the department for me. It also said that if I came a bit early and checked whether it met with my requirements, it would be good.
Second surprise was, the Dean, Prof Idichandy and the Students General Secretary, Prasad had located a place that sold powered wheel chairs. The cost was Rs 55,000. What they did was, they did not buy the wheel chair; they gave me the money so that the wheel chair belonged to me and not the institute.

My life changed after that. I felt free and independent. That's why I say I am lucky. God has planned things for me and takes care of me at every step.

Sindhu thanks for sharing,

Very touchi, inspiring, +Motivating, story.

Everystep, in life, his poistive thinking, progressed him.

liked he not forget, who, inspired  him, Mostely forgets, how many persons inspired them.

liked his sister sacrifice, his teachers motivationg or his own will power.

may god bless him. even he is saying, God has planned things for him, or taking care,
 but his  regardful nature, who helped him, he is recalling them +poistive thinking, Both is also appriciable.

Abi23BeaBeaSindhuMenon

ayushimehra IF-Rockerz
ayushimehra
ayushimehra

Posted: 15 August 2015 at 2:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by justlovetv

A very Happy 69th Independence Day to allHug

Happy independence Day, To All

Karo kuch eaisa, ke Desh ka Samman badh jaye Maro too eise #TIRENGE ke shan bad jaye

Bharo pichkari Eise Teen Rango kee Jabb kapado par pade to #Hindustan Ban Jaye. #Jay Hind

Edited by ayushimehra - 15 August 2015 at 2:55am

BeaBeaSindhuMenonSpringBreakers

BeaBea Goldie
BeaBea
BeaBea

Posted: 15 August 2015 at 5:13am | IP Logged

Originally posted by BeaBea

A very interesting post / article I read  somewhere in the Forums!

Aug 12, 2015 - Natasha Couitnho & Aarti Bhanushali

While no-kissing clauses in actors' contracts have been heard of in Bollywood, it seems their TV counterparts are taking to the measure too

Bollywood actors have been known, at times, to include no-nudity or no-kissing clauses in their contracts for films. But when the popular TV soap Yeh Hai Mohabbatein aired a long-awaited consummation scene between its lead pair (played by actors Divyanka Tripathi and Karan Patel), there was much speculation that the shoot was guided by the actress' stipulations about what she would not do. We have learnt from reliable sources that Divyanka sent out a list of things she wouldn't be comfortable shooting " including a "proper kiss" " to the show's producer Ekta Kapoor, as well as the channel, Star Plus. The final scene, which was aired over Monday and Tuesday was shot in accordance with those specifications.

TV shows have grown considerably bolder in recent times. A case in point was when Ram Kapoor-Sakshi Tanwar's lovemaking scene in the show Bade Achhe Lagte Hain, became a talking point last year, because two such senior actors had consented to shooting it. Several other shows had then followed suit, with the traditional "you stick to your side of the bed, I'll stick to mine" formula, where the actress was shown dressed in the whole nine yards (and jewellery too), given a miss.

With YHM and Divyanka being frontrunners in the TV industry, the Mumbai Age caught up with producers, directors and actors to find out how contractual clauses pertaining to filming intimate scenes worked.

Producer Yash Patnaik is the man behind several popular shows like Veera and Sadda Haq on the small screen. He feels that these clauses are a very subjective issue, and depend on the actor in question. Not only that, he adds that while TV may have gotten a whole lot bolder than in the past, the very fact that it is a "family entertainer medium" imposes restrictions on just how steamy such sequences can get. "I think, so far on TV, the intimacy shown is always relevant, and the actors' comfort level is always the priority. Moreover, all show makers are aware that they are catering to a family audience, so exposure, if any, is limited and relevant. We can't cross certain limits. What I've seen is that most actors are comfortable shooting for the scenes, as long as it is necessary to the storyline. TV offers family entertainment, and that won't change. And the audience is also very mature these days, in this age of the Internet when everything is so accessible," Patnaik says.

Actors do sense when a scene is relevant, and when it has been introduced purely to titillate, and respond accordingly. This is what Siddharth Malhotra, the producer of Dil Mil Gaye and Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai feels. He told us that he has never had any issue with actors wanting to include no-kissing (or similar) clauses in their contracts. "Actors' choices must be respected," he states. "Whether the medium is TV or film, as long as these intimate scenes are essential to the script or plot, there are correct ways of communicating this to your cast, audience." Telling us how he feels the issue must be broached with cast members, Malhotra says, "There should be mutual agreement and a discussion with the actors. If they aren't comfortable shooting the sequence or if they feel it's just a gimmick, then their discomfort should be respected and addressed."

Surprisingly, makers of TV shows themselves aren't very keen on including explicit lovemaking sequences in their scripts. The reason? There seems to be an indication that having too many intimate sequences actually brings down a show's TRPs!

"Directors of TV shows know their limits very clearly. There have been some recent TV shows that tried to go bold, but their numbers (TRPs) dropped. I think it's because you can't watch such scenes with your children or parents " basically, the content has to be acceptable to a family audience. So unlike in films, I don't believe clauses like these are necessary for TV actors," says Santram Verma, who directs Jodha-Akbar.

Santram also feels that at times, an actor's ego comes into play, which is why issues crop up with certain sequences. "I think some actors get carried away by other people telling them How will you be portrayed on screen?' or What will the viewers think?' So at times, it becomes a bit of an ego battle."

Shakti Arora, another young actor who's show Meri Aashiqui Tumse Hi is extremely popular, also professes that he wouldn't include such a clause in his contracts. In fact, his show depicts a very physically demonstrative equation between him and his co-star, and fans are known to post about their sensual chemistry on online forums. He also feels that certain limits are in-built in TV as a medium, and therefore, actors don't need to be terribly concerned when filming intimate sequences.

"Even in consummation scenes, we look into each other's eyes, hug, and the camera pans somewhere else! Girls might have issues if they are in a committed relationship or are married, so they might have certain limitations. Even in my case, I was a little hesitant initially, but when you know you have to do something every day, you get habituated to it. My partner is an actor too and she understands," Shakti says.

Thanks much for this article. Very inter sting indeed. However did not understand SV POV. He said actors ego steps in doing scenes which I find very weird...even i read that many actors like Fawad Khan and all are against doing bold intimate scenes..

Yes SV POV  was not too clear but it was like he was saying sometimes either male or female artist have ego that steps in the way of scenes but did not elaborate on what the 'ego' is all about.

From the way he talks he himself surely have lots of ego from my POV only WinkLOL so I guess he can identify those who have the same when he works with them easily. Big smile

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Abi23ayushimehraRashmi81SindhuMenon

SindhuMenon IF-Rockerz
SindhuMenon
SindhuMenon

Posted: 15 August 2015 at 7:46pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ayushimehra

Childhood in a village

Life without legs
My sister, my friend
Inspiration

Life at IIT- Madras

July 28, 2008

Joining Google R&D

Sindhu thanks for sharing,

Very touchi, inspiring, +Motivating, story.

Everystep, in life, his poistive thinking, progressed him.

liked he not forget, who, inspired  him, Mostely forgets, how many persons inspired them.

liked his sister sacrifice, his teachers motivationg or his own will power.

may god bless him. even he is saying, God has planned things for him, or taking care,
 but his  regardful nature, who helped him, he is recalling them +poistive thinking, Both is also appriciable.

well said Ayushi...You wrote it so beautifully

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Abi23BeaBeaayushimehraRashmi81

Rashmi81 IF-Rockerz
Rashmi81
Rashmi81

Posted: 15 August 2015 at 9:50pm | IP Logged
Sindhu,
Amazing story .
@ayushi great views .
Well in that article which Bea shared,I found SVs views out of the context .
What does ego has to do with doing intimate scenes ? you can talk about actor's comfort level or his or hers traditional family values which might be obstructing them to do so but Ego?? Seriously ...SV still needs reality check.
Anyways I was never a fan of this guy .And in TV industry unlike Bollywood nothing is in hand of director specially in EK shows .Do you remember last time I had shared a clip where along with the actors of itna Karo na,even the director was blaming the story.

Abi23BeaBeaayushimehra

SindhuMenon IF-Rockerz
SindhuMenon
SindhuMenon

Posted: 16 August 2015 at 6:20am | IP Logged
Ayushi, Beatrice, Rashmi, Abhi , I tried writing comments as well as for some pictures I added notes. Are you not able to see them..I will look at this later tomorrow and see what i can do

Abi23BeaBeaayushimehra

Go to top