Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

PIKU Reviews and Boxoffice collections (Page 47)

lazysaur Senior Member

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 12:51am | IP Logged
2.25 cr weekend kklh
sunny leone loses the battle Tongue

Sultan_Of_Swing IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 12:57am | IP Logged
#Piku witnesses PHENOMENAL growth on Sun. Fri 5.32 cr, Sat 8.70 cr, Sun 11.20 cr. Total: 25.22 cr. India biz. Take a bow, Team #Piku.

Day 1: 5.32 cr ... 3-day weekend: 25.22 cr ... Just look at the REMARKABLE growth in the biz of #Piku. Proves yet again CONTENT is KING.

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 12:58am | IP Logged
Liked this review from Tarar

TARAR SQUARE: We all have a Piku in us 

PUBLISHED: 00:31, 11 May 2015 | UPDATED: 00:31, 11 May 2015

View comments

From pk to Piku, and nothing in the middle. The last two Indian films I watched, and loved. Diametrically different in theme and treatment, there's one factor that's common to both, other than of course the P and the K. Both these films have a heart. 

And although one deals with the sublime, and the other the s***, both have an endearing simplicity and pathos that speak directly to the mind, pulls at your heart strings, and cheekily nudges you to question. 

The right way to pray, and the right way to defecate are not concepts or actions that belong in the same place or the same article, but the idea of cleansing " soul and body respectively " is the key to both. And it's commendable to see Indian cinema venture into territories that are either too sacred to put a right foot in, or too commonplace to be attention-worthy. 

Moving perfomances: Irrfan Khan, Deepika Padukone and Amitabh Bachchan in Piku

Moving perfomances: Irrfan Khan, Deepika Padukone and Amitabh Bachchan in Piku

As is the norm with most films that have had a special screening for the Bollywood glitterati, there's an outpouring of ooohs, bravos and wows, and albeit the accolades, this doesn't really compel you to buy a ticket. 

This time it did. The way everyone who watched Piku raved about it, one knew one had to watch Piku. And when the director is of the highly-acclaimed Madras Caf, Shoojit Sircar, and the cast features Amitabh Bachchan, Deepika Padukone and Irrfan Khan, you know the trip to the theatre won't be merely for mindless entertainment and caramel popcorn.

Surprisingly, this theatre in Lahore wasn't packed to capacity, but once the film started, there was a constant sound: of laughter. Not one for a film about bowel movements, and different ways of constipation relief, one was in for a surprise ride, a rollercoaster of emotions that spoke of things most leave unsaid. 

When one writes about a film or a book, it's not to recap the story " the inanity of that never fails to amuse or annoy one " but simply an exercise to word how it affected one. 

The viewing of a film like Piku is what connects people across sensibilities, ideas and borders. There's the subliminal bonding of human experiences, of shared emotions, of universal ethos of love, loss and pain. 

Watching ordinary people carry the burden of their everyday existence, ghosts of people they've lost, withering expectations, bitterness that sours, dreams that are locked in dusty, creaky cupboards, plans that remain unfulfilled like the promises that were never made, one sees slivers of one's own life played out on a larger-than-life screen. 

Landscape varies, the backdrop to events may be unfamiliar to one's experiences, and the dynamics of relationships may be out of sync with one's sensibilities, but the emotions underlying the events tiptoe into one's mind, finding their way to one's heart. 

And there's a stirring within. Of having lived that moment. Of feeling the pain of that loss. Of gritting one's teeth, and shouting at the top of one's voice. Of wanting to sever the ties. Of the un-worded desire to close one's eyes to the peeling paint, the grouchy parent, the tick-tock of time passing one by, one complaint-filled, starless evening at a time, the relentless diurnal routine enclosing one within its arms in a hug that threatens to stifle. 

There's a strong, ill-tempered, defiant Piku within many of us, whose unwavering love for her parent remains undiminished as she puts her life on hold, waiting for his toilet motion to be in order. No amount of arguments with an apparently senile parent or slamming of doors negates the existence of the underlying devotion that permeates her existence from the moment she wakes up to the time she closes her tired eyes and mind to sleep fitfully, only to awaken to the same grind. 

The daughter Piku, played effortlessly and artlessly by Deepika, in arguably the best performance of her career, is the person most of us relate to while we reflect uneasily about our filial relationships. Bachchan's Bhaskor Bannerjee, Piku's father, is one of those unforgettable characters that makes you laugh, groan, shake your head, get exasperated, and love him in the end. 

Bhaskor's facial expressions and owl-sized eyes behind those grandfather spectacles are a cinematic treat, and his relationship with his daughter is what makes this dysfunctional duo human and relatable as the family you can't live with, but can't live without. 

His loudmouthed proclamations about her personal life even to strangers at a party, his constant refrains about his constipation, may make Piku cringe more often than she'd care to remember, but his abiding love for his deceased wife, and liberal views about how a woman should lead her life empowers Piku while she thinks his life is enfeebling her very core. 

Rana Chaudhary, played by the inimitable Irrfan, is that person in our lives who walks into our door one day, grumbling, but becomes a part of it, enriching it with his quiet strength, low-key pragmatism and unsolicited warmth. 

To me, Irrfan is that maximum artiste who displays a world of emotions with minimal acting. 

Together, Piku, Bhaskor and Rana light up the screen, enacting uncomfortable truths about ordinary mortals who remain chained to the invariable bleakness of their lives, limited by their self-imposed rules of how their lives are to be lived. 

The ensemble cast of Moushumi Chatterjee, Raghuvir Yadav, Jishu Sengupta et al form the exasperating but utterly endearing and delightful dynamic of Piku's apparently totally malfunctional, but full-of-warmth life. 

Piku, it makes you laugh. Piku makes you think about that one family member whom you loved to hate yet missed the most. Piku evokes a longing for that one person who softens your sullen face with your 500-megawatt smile. Piku makes you reach out for your 4am friend, and give your favourite khala a giant hug. 

And Piku stirs the realisation that your life may be ordinary, but the ties you share with those who love you make it extraordinary.

Read more: 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

--SH7_Sunny-- IF-Achieverz

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:04am | IP Logged
I am soon going to watch this film for Deepiku. Party

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

solembaum Senior Member

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:10am | IP Logged
Loveed the movie :-) More later...

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:12am | IP Logged
Here goes my review-

Piku is an intimate portrayal of a father & daughter relationship and the world they live in. To a certain extent Piku almost feels voyueristic, its like a camera was fitted into the lives of Bhaskor & Piku and the audience get a peek into their maddening life. 

Piku is frightening real. Most members of the audience can relate to many things that happen in the movie. Also the setting is as real as it gets. The characters look & feel real. There is nothing dramatic about Piku, its a slice of life kind of movie.

In terms of performances, every single actor fits & performs their role to T. Irfan is awesome, he does the dry sarcasm bits really well. Deepika has come leaps & bound to deliver a truly award winning performance. She delivers most of her performance in this movie using her body language and eyes. While I don't expect Deepika to stop acting in commercial movies like HNY, I really do hope that she can cut down on her PR related shenanigans. She is getting a lot of praise & goodwill from Piku, and she must use this to focus in her work as an actor. Also, she seems better fitted for everyday woman kind of roles, glamour roles & items songs are just not her forte

A special shout out to Moushmi Chatterjee whose bickering with Bhaskar was hilarious. 

But the movie really does belong to Mr Bachchan, who once again delivers a stupendous performance with his portrayal of Bhaskor. Big B has proved that when it comes to acting he is the 'Baap of em all.' His accent does seem a bit over the top, but sometimes its okay to take certain creative liberties to make a role more enjoyable.

But to me the movie is a testament of 2 people- Sircar and Juhi Chaturvedi. There is absolutely no conflict or  dramatics in Piku's script. To make an engaging & entertaining script out of mundane life requires special talent. 

The movie has fantastic repeat value. When the promos had come out I have guessed that the movie would appeal to the older generation and my guess turned out right. There were a lot of middle aged to older people in the cinema I went to on saturday. 

I predict that Piku will have a decent run at the box office until the release of TWMR as the target audience for Bombay Velvet is very different from that of Piku.

Well done Team Piku to show that a fantastic movie doesn't have to be dark, gritty, it can be something as simple as everyday life.

Edited by Sultan_Of_Swing - 11 May 2015 at 1:15am

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:31am | IP Logged
This is a good interview from DP.

Loved this bit especially.

Ever since Cocktail, you have received both critical and commercial acclaim for all your films. Does that instil more confidence in you to try out something as different as a Finding  Fanny or a Piku?

I have seen a little bit of both in my career. I started off with an amazing debut but then had a string of films that flopped. Post Cocktail, everything has again started going upwards. But I don't take anything for granted either way. Does it give me confidence? Yes, a little bit. I don't think I would have done a Finding Fanny if this was not the case. But it also depends on where the audience is right now and the kind of films they watch and the scripts that are being written and the fact that many directors are ready to make such films. So it's a combination of a lot of things. It's not about where I am right now, it's about a lot of other factors.

The following 16 member(s) liked the above post:

Kamala05 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:35am | IP Logged
I think the people lives in western countries welcomed PIKU without any hesitation cause they have a broader perspective and when it comes to the ailment related to constipation, they are open to discuss without any hesitation.
After watching the trailer, a good percentage of People in India (including me) were like what to watch in Piku, even in the trailer the main topic of discussion is constipation and potty, yikes.  But my opinion changed after watching the movie and I believe lots of members who disliked the trailer changed their opinion after watching. PIKU is a proof that for making a good movie a controversial subject, usual love story, revenge story is not necessary, a good movie is possible, even if the subject of the movie is trivial, the main prerequisite is a well executed screenplay and the efficient crew members and the actors who are ready to give up their star image.
AB Sr was amazing as usual and Irfan with the comparatively small screen space excelled in his role. What amazed me is Deepika's unbelievable growth as an actress. I disliked her in OSO and I considered her as just a showpiece till cocktail, but wow what a change. I really appreciate her willingness to experiment with roles and to be a part of a risky move like PIKU. She was living as PIKU, not a single instance of over the top act, never felt that she is a top movie

Shoojit Sircar, yet again proved that he is indeed a Bengali  a maestro from the state of Sathyajit Ray.

I believe the film can face the challenge of big budget movies which are going t release in next week.

Edited by ramyarn - 11 May 2015 at 1:39am

The following 14 member(s) liked the above post:

Go to top