Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

PIKU Reviews and Boxoffice collections (Page 122)

-ajna- IF-Sizzlerz
-ajna-
-ajna-

Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:45pm | IP Logged
A wonderful entertainer Thumbs Up
 The  direction was deft ...very expertly handled...it seemed so real ...the every day conversation that takes place in a normal household ...outwardly the family looks so dysfunctional but there is that subtle  under current of a deep emotional bond ..not just between Piku & Bhaskar but every character ...all of it is so finely etched by Soojit Sircar who has a record now of some good films. I hope he is not the next one to be lured by the big PHs to become another fall guy.
These low budget films , close to reality touch on the heart strings of viewers ...and also bring in some returns for the makers .It was so good to be sitting in an almost full theatre in the midst of  family audience all cackling with laughter.
Piku is an indicator of what the masses want  to fill up the halls.It is now up to the makers to take up the cue .

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

you2NimbuMirchi-MariaMars-NestleToulousedelightful.pallavi25

-ajna- IF-Sizzlerz
-ajna-
-ajna-

Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by KochurShaakBata

Piku- The trailer bored me but the film surprised me. Though I was pretty excited for it since it went on floors but got demotivated after the trailer so really didn't imagine the film would be that good. I have lots to say about the film so it's a very long post. It might contain some small spoilers here and there.

To start with the beginning, I got hooked into the film right from the heavenly sarod tune that was played during the opening credits.It set the mood of the film right away. I also liked how Shoojit first gave a glimpse of the life of Piku and Baba and then started the story after the title of the film. Piku is beautifully written. It's such a simple story but written and presented in such an entertaining way, really hats off to Juhi for the work she has done. Also the film revolved around constipation, something we try not to discuss much and get irritated about when someone talks about bowel movements but still Shoojit managed to involve the audience in middle of all the constipation discussion between the characters by making it funny but not overdoing it. I myself am not a fan of toilet humour but except for one small scene where Irrfan sketches, I found the humour to be subtle and funny. Then comes the way the movie progresses from Delhi to Kolkata, completely loved how the story was built around the journey and the two cities. The whole Journey sequence is my favorite part of the film- the whole road trip from Delhi to Kolkata has everything, starting from humour, romance and then drama.

One of the best part of the film was how all the characters created by the writers gelled with each other perfectly and no one stood out individually. Starting from Piku,Baba,Rana to  Chobi Mashi,Budhan, Moni Kaki,everyone is such an important part of the story and Shoojit has done a brilliant job by bringing out the best out of all the actors.I want to really thank Shoojit for giving Moushumi Chatterjee and Swaroopa Ghosh a good amount of screen space in the film. Moushumi as always was lovely and it was great to see Swaroopa in a slightly bigger role after her funny Pishi's character in Vicky Donor. Also, though the film was mainly about a father-daughter relationship (apart from constipation), I liked how Shoojit stayed away from all sorts of tried and tested melodrama we have seen time and again in such stories. Two very practical central characters with a practical day to day story. No where in the film do we see Bhashkor showing his affection to Piku directly but it's seen how much he loves her daughter towards the end of the film. I don't like love stories but Piku-Rana's subtle relationship shown in the film comes close to Sid and Aisha's from Wake Up Sid. -the only two movies where I have genuinely loved the chemistry and the romance between the couple.

I also loved the small details Shoojit has added in different parts of the film.Baba eating Khichdi with that small bottle of Jhorna Ghee, the Ramkrishna-Sarada photographs on the wall and the way Piku prays to them quickly before leaving, the way Chobi Maashi criticizes women wearing nightie at home,the usage of Tulu pump, Moni Kaki chopping vegetables with a boti,those delicious begun bhaja and other stuff served on the table, the bengali songs in the background,etc made the bong in me very happy to see these things in a hindi movie.Perfect portrayal of a Bengali household. That Jibone Ki Pabona dance Bhaskor does after getting drunk was awesome,especially when Piku goes to her room after seeing her dad enjoy and spends the night with Syed. That small moment says so much about the relationship Piku and her dad has, the independence Bhaskor has given Piku and also the little bit of happiness in Piku's mind to finally find some time for herself to enjoy.Deepika is brilliant in that whole sequence (including the morning scene).

The whole build up towards the climax reminded me so much about my grandfather that I really couldn't control my emotions during the final sequence.My grandfather was a toned down version of Bhashkor and I think that is why I connected so much with the film. I have seen people writing in social media platforms that Piku is an inspiration for independent single women but I see Piku as an inspiration for everybody-man or woman, doesn't make a difference.No matter how much you might get irritated with your parents, you cannot leave them to fend for themselves at old age. The message isn't in your face throughout the film but you still get it loud and clear after watching the film. By the end of the film, I also kept thinking that with me growing up, my parents are also growing old so this was like a perfect insight into what probably would be anybody's future because I didn't see any bit of fiction in the arguments Piku and Bhaskor had-they were all so real. Piku is now one of my favorite characters from a Bollywood film. I would consider myself lucky if I am able to be like Piku when my parents grow old.

The movie touched my heart at several different levels and made me so emotionally involved throughout the two hours, so irrespective of some flaws here and there, I would give it a perfect 5/5. The best movie of 2015 till now for me. I can watch it again and again.

Also loved the little bit of Bengali words Shoojit made Deepika mouth here and there in the film,especially the bit where she tells Bhaskot uses warm water during winters to wash his 'Pacha'. ROFL

I couldn't control myself.LOL Just wrote whatever came to my mind. I surely have missed so many other beautiful moments from the film.

Thank you for a very apt appraisal . Being a Calcuttan I too identified with all the details you mentioned ...specially the Ramkrishna & Ma pictures ...and that dance to  Jibone ki pabona was brilliant. 

A very , very good film after a long time.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Hermione..you2-MariaMars-Sultan_Of_Swingdelightful.pallavi25

you2 IF-Sizzlerz
you2
you2

Posted: 21 May 2015 at 11:42pm | IP Logged
Piku Has Very Good Hold In Week Two
Friday 22 May 2015 11.00 IST
Box Office India Trade Network
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print More Sharing Services

Piku held up very well in week two grossing around 22 crore nett which was a similar collection to the new release Bombay Velvet as it also grossed that much in week one. The drop from week one is less than 50% which is very good trending. The film should be able to do 75 crore nett and maybe even hit 80 crore nett. 

The best performance is in West Bengal where the film should cross 6 crore nett which is excellent and easily beats Baby at 4 crore nett which was the top grosser before Piku. 

Mumbai and Mysore are also very good with Mumbai expected to cross 25 crore nett and Mysore should comfortably cross 6 crore nett. Mass dominated circuits like CPCI and Bihar have not done well.

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

Armu4eva..NeverGiveUp..kawal_tak-MariaMars-delightful.pallavi25TheRager

Coldplaying IF-Rockerz
Coldplaying
Coldplaying

Posted: 21 May 2015 at 11:59pm | IP Logged
So it is heading towards 80cr lifetime wow. Awesome. Congrats to the whole team. This is a huge feat. 

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Armu4evaHermione..you2delightful.

d-_-b IF-Sizzlerz
d-_-b
d-_-b

Posted: 22 May 2015 at 12:22am | IP Logged
One thing, AB Sr looked more like an 80-85 yr old than a 70 yr old. 
Hermione.. IF-Rockerz
Hermione..
Hermione..

Posted: 22 May 2015 at 12:37am | IP Logged
What is the screen count this week?
kimi484 Goldie
kimi484
kimi484

Posted: 22 May 2015 at 1:12am | IP Logged

#BOCapsule EXCLUSIVE SUPER 65 cr - 2nd Week Box Office Collection Of @PikuTheFilm

Piku 2nd Week Collection Report, Excellent Again.

http://www.addatoday.com/2015/05/piku-2nd-week-collection-report.html

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

..TooLazy..

pallavi25 IF-Stunnerz
pallavi25
pallavi25

Posted: 22 May 2015 at 1:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by KochurShaakBata

Piku- 

I also loved the small details Shoojit has added in different parts of the film.Baba eating Khichdi with that small bottle of Jhorna Ghee, the Ramkrishna-Sarada photographs on the wall and the way Piku prays to them quickly before leaving, the way Chobi Maashi criticizes women wearing nightie at home,the usage of Tulu pump, Moni Kaki chopping vegetables with a boti,those delicious begun bhaja and other stuff served on the table, the bengali songs in the background,etc made the bong in me very happy to see these things in a hindi movie.Perfect portrayal of a Bengali household. That Jibone Ki Pabona dance Bhaskor does after getting drunk was awesome,especially when Piku goes to her room after seeing her dad enjoy and spends the night with Syed. That small moment says so much about the relationship Piku and her dad has, the independence Bhaskor has given Piku and also the little bit of happiness in Piku's mind to finally find some time for herself to enjoy.Deepika is brilliant in that whole sequence (including the morning scene).

The movie touched my heart at several different levels and made me so emotionally involved throughout the two hours, so irrespective of some flaws here and there, I would give it a perfect 5/5. The best movie of 2015 till now for me. I can watch it again and again.

Also loved the little bit of Bengali words Shoojit made Deepika mouth here and there in the film,especially the bit where she tells Bhaskot uses warm water during winters to wash his 'Pacha'. ROFL

I couldn't control myself.LOL Just wrote whatever came to my mind. I surely have missed so many other beautiful moments from the film.

I loved those little details too! My shoshurbari used to have that Tullu Pump also, everytime it went kaput we had to call the mistri...LOL
Bhashkor dancing to Jiboney Ki Pabona was awesome! Brought back many fond memories of my childhood. 
Moushumi was too funny with her lectures to Bhaku da...LOL
Oh so Moni Kaki was the Pishi in Vicky Donor? No wonder she looked so familiar...
The fish fry, begun bhaja and mangshor jhol scene made me hungry...Bengali directors will always show food scenes. I LOVED that! 
Like Aparna Sen, Shoojit also pays attention to minute details. 

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Dhaa-Ki-TikiHermione..-ajna-NestleToulouse

Go to top