Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Draw Muhammad contest Taxas!!! WHY?? (Page 10)

Druids Senior Member
Druids
Druids

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:24pm | IP Logged
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/08/muslim-bashing-can-be-very-lucrative.html

Muslim-Bashing Can Be Very Lucrative

Why do Pamela Geller et al. do it? Sure, they believe it. But they get bankrolled to do it"and on a major scale.

People keep asking me why does Pam Geller spew so much anti-Muslim crap? Is it part of her work as a pro-Israel activist? Did she once get food poisoning at a Middle Eastern restaurant? Is it simply because she really, really hates Muslims?

Probably all the above, but one other thing is certain: Geller gets paid pretty well to demonize Muslims. I'm talking to the tune of $200,000 a year. True, that might be walking around money for Donald Trump (who actually bashed Geller this week for her draw the Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest), but that puts her in the top 5 percent of all Americans in terms of annual income. Now, $200,000 doesn't make a person rich these days (although the $9 million in combined divorce settlement and life-insurance payments she reportedly got certainly qualifies her). But for what she does, it's handsome pay.

In fact, many of the people identified by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), and the Center for American Progress (CAP) as the leaders of the anti-Muslim industry in America are paid well for their efforts. I'm talking so much money I almost want to start hating on Muslims"and I'm Muslim.

In Geller's case, her salary is paid from her organization the American Freedom Defense Initiative (AFDI), a group listed by the SPLC as an active "anti-Muslim organization." In 2013, the AFDI reported $958,800 in gross receipts and paid Geller a base salary of $192,500, plus $18,750 in other income (PDF).

Not bad for a group created, per AFDI's tax returns, to act "against the treason being committed by the national, state and local government officials, the mainstream media and others in their capitulation to the global jihad and Islamic Supremacism." This is truly one step removed from tin foil hats and claims that the government has bugged your cheese.

But Geller, who has also been denounced by the ADL for vilifying Muslims, is just one of many profiting from hate (PDF). As Matt Duss, a former policy analyst for the Center for American Progress and now president of the Foundation for Middle East Peace, noted, "It's certainly been a lucrative industry for leading anti-Muslim bigots. Tens of millions of dollars have been poured into this."

Duss is truly an expert in this field, having co-authored a report released in February titled "Fear, Inc. 2.0" (PDF) that investigated the Islamophobia network in America and traced the funds used to support its key players. For example, the report notes that Frank Gaffney, Fox News regular (of course), is one of the leaders of the anti-Muslim movement and is the primary engineer of the claim that Muslims want to impose Islamic law across America. Gaffney has even argued that giving Muslim Americans a day off from work for Muslim holidays is a form of imposing sharia law.

Well, Gaffney's Center for Security Policy (CSP) in 2012 reported $3.2 million in revenue. And Gaffney, as president, paid himself $300,000 a year for his work in demonizing Muslims.

One report found that certain key foundations have donated close to $60 million in recent years to these anti-Muslim advocates.

Then there's David Horowitz, a man described by the SPLC as "the godfather of the modern anti-Muslim movement." He has also been denounced by the ADL for his work that "promotes anti-Muslim views and features events with anti-Muslim activists." (PDF)

For example, Horowitz has tried to bully and marginalize Muslim-American college students by claiming that the Muslim Student Associations are"associated with terrorist organizations" and intend to "kill the Jews, to push them into the sea."

Being "the godfather" of anti-Muslim hate appears to pay well. Horowitz's Freedom Center in 2013 saw over $7.2 million in gross receipts and Horowitz was paid $525,000 in salary (PDF). And Horowitz even bankrolls Robert Spencer, another well-known Muslim-basher, with a $167,000-a-year salary.

Now in Horowitz's defense, he doesn't focus just on demonizing Muslims. He has also made other hateful comments like "There's no community that's more racist in America than the black community." This guy is making a lot, but he is really earning his money.

And who can forget Brigitte Gabriel, another Fox News staple who demonizes Muslims at every turn.  Gabriel runs Act for America!, which the SPLC has noted is part of the "anti-Muslim inner circle." Gabriel has given us such anti-Muslim classics as "America has been infiltrated on all levels by radicals who wish to harm America. They have infiltrated us at the C.I.A., at the F.B.I., at the Pentagon, at the State Department."

How much does Gabriel get paid to offer that type of garbage? Per Act for America's 2012 tax returns, she was paid a $132,000 base salary and $84,090 as a bonus (PDF). I wonder if she earns that bonus by dishing out such off-the-wall claims as "tens of thousands of Islamic militants now reside in America...attending our colleges and universities, even infiltrating our government."

So who funds these organizations? Well that's more challenging to determine. It's like trying to figure the names of the people who fund the Klan or neo-Nazis"not too many people advertise their support for them. But the Fear, Inc. report found that certain key foundations have donated close to $60 million in recent years to these anti-Muslim advocates.

The most notable are the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation and the Scaife Foundation, which each have donated over $5 million (PDF) to David Horowitz's Freedom Center. The Scaife Foundation also donated over $3 million to Frank Gaffney's CSP.

Why do they fund these groups is a big question. Duss explained that in his view it's "because a group of hawkish conservative funders clearly see a political benefit to stoking Americans' fears and suspicions of their fellow citizens who are Muslims." This means we may see even more money flowing to these anti-Muslim advocates in the 2016 presidential race.

The bottom line is that the anti-Muslim industry is lucrative and not going anywhere soon. But at least now we can understand why some of these people engage in such hateful activities: It's a living. And a nice one.

Qirat. Senior Member
Qirat.
Qirat.

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:31pm | IP Logged
@Druids

Since Muslims love the Prophet dearly, doesn't it bother you how the SA govt has destroyed so many historical sites related to the Prophet? Or do you buy their theory of Shirk in this regard?

I do feel bad that they have destroyed the graves & houses of sahaba & ahlul bayt. They say it is because of some misguided Muslims worship them, this could be true. Even ISIS destroyed Prophet Yunus grave..

Is it any surprise how their king is trying to cook up all fake family trees to show himself descended from the Prophet when in fact this distinction belonged to Hussein Bin Ali, Sharif of Mecca who was USED with false carrot on stick promises when the Balfour Declaration and Sykes Picot Agreement were clandestinely agreed on the side.
IS the SA king bloodline not descended from the Banu Qaynuqa?

I am not sure. I don't think they are. If I am not wrong The Saudis royal family is from Najd (descendant of Saud). Either they are saying that to gain political influence and financial gains or maybe they are descended somehow but not direct male-line descendants of the Hashemite line. The title Syed, Sayyid or Sharif usually goes to those who are direct male-line descendants of Ali. Saudi Royal family are not Sayyids nor Sharifs & if they are descended from the Prophet Muhammad (pbuH) in some way, then it is not obvious.

I don't think they are descended from Banu Qaynuqa. The Jews were only found in Hijaaz not Najd...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Druids

..FallAndFly.. IF-Rockerz
..FallAndFly..
..FallAndFly..

Posted: 12 May 2015 at 1:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ..FallAndFly..

^^The Royals Family of Saudi made a Palace called the "Dajjal Palace" in the Same place Prophet [PBUH] had said He [Dajjal] will stand and watch some Masjid...

There is a Video and Articles regarding it too...
So you see SA is not the perfect example of a Muslim state anymore.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Qirat.Druids

Qirat. Senior Member
Qirat.
Qirat.

Posted: 12 May 2015 at 6:54am | IP Logged

^^The Royals Family of Saudi made a Palace called the "Dajjal Palace" in the Same place Prophet [PBUH] had said He [Dajjal] will stand and watch some Masjid...

SA government runs on un-Islamic principles: dictatorship and corruption. They only apply Islamic Law in matters that financially interests it. If something in Islam does not financially benefit SA, they will drop & leave it. That is not Islam, that is a twisted version of it and they have been imprisoning many Scholars who spoke against the crimes of the King & his government.. 

Yup I have read the hadith on that... He said the dajjal will come, climb on top of Jabal Habshi.. Interestingly, the Saudis are building a complex on top of Jabal Habshi, & calling it "The Kingdom's Palace"..

Edited by Qirat. - 12 May 2015 at 6:55am

..FallAndFly..

..FallAndFly.. IF-Rockerz
..FallAndFly..
..FallAndFly..

Posted: 12 May 2015 at 7:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Qirat.

SA government runs on un-Islamic principles: dictatorship and corruption. They only apply Islamic Law in matters that financially interests it. If something in Islam does not financially benefit SA, they will drop & leave it. That is not Islam, that is a twisted version of it and they have been imprisoning many Scholars who spoke against the crimes of the King & his government..

Yup I have read the hadith on that... He said the dajjal will come, climb on top of Jabal Habshi.. Interestingly, the Saudis are building a complex on top of Jabal Habshi, & calling it "The Kingdom's Palace"..

No matter how many kingdoms they make,No matter how many lives they take
Everyone knows who are going to win this Battle Cool

I might be the Only person who is this Excited for Dajjal's ultimate Fall LOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Qirat.Druids

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 03 June 2015 at 9:11am | IP Logged
people can draw whatever they want. just like how mf hussain should not have been exiled these ppl can draw muhammad or whoever

Edited by mr.ass - 03 June 2015 at 9:11am
krystal_watz IF-Sizzlerz
krystal_watz
krystal_watz

Posted: 04 June 2015 at 12:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by K.Universe.

Originally posted by -Believe-

Draw Muhammad contest... Why and For what???  They can't do something else?

So, who won the contest anyway??

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from the consequences of that speech.!!!  Killing over a cartoon or Becoming upset at someone else's free speech does not mean you can try to murder them!!?! 

I feel The whole point is,we are better than them,this is unnecessarily provocative.

There is this local newspaper in bay area, CA, which has an online edition. On this topic, since yesterday, I have been fighting with at least 20 Americans who have ganged up on me (I use a different ID there, by the way :) I do have some (sane) supporters too, not that I need any :))

Anyway, I have been arguing that these contests are incitement to violence. Free speech has limitations.Most guys on that website supporting the contest were/are citing their favorite first amendment (it's not like these guys are articulate or well read; they just parrot one another and keep repeating "free speech" and "constitution" a million times)

That Pamela Geller, organizer of the event, is a known hate-mongerer.

These same people would cry blood if someone were to mock Jews. Hypocrisy at its finest.

I don't see any purpose to offending a religious group deliberately. Yes, picking up guns and start shooting at people just because someone offended you is extreme, not to mention reinforces stereotypes, but why draw first blood? Why taunt? Why provoke and risk peace? Why purposefully disrespect?  If they really want to have a debate, an open talk with followers of Islam, they should do so in a more civilized way. What they did (and are doing) is blatantly inflammatory.

Freedom of speech is impotent without the freedom to provoke (with the exception of explicitly inciting violence). By your argument, we should ban all kinds of spoofing and lampooning of "sensitive" and "Holy Cow" subjects. Gradually on, that'd ultimately ring the death-knell of that idiotic thingy called Democracy.

Not to forget a repeat of the cliched question: Who sets the limits as to what is "offensive enough"?
K.Universe. Goldie
K.Universe.
K.Universe.

Posted: 05 June 2015 at 4:21pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by krystal_watz

[

Freedom of speech is impotent without the freedom to provoke (with the exception of explicitly inciting violence). By your argument, we should ban all kinds of spoofing and lampooning of "sensitive" and "Holy Cow" subjects. Gradually on, that'd ultimately ring the death-knell of that idiotic thingy called Democracy.

Not to forget a repeat of the cliched question: Who sets the limits as to what is "offensive enough"?

I believe I addressed everything there is to address on this topic Krystal so I don't see much point to flogging this dead horse. But if you insist -

IMO what we are dealing with here is hate speech. I think it was Rehan who argued that it is not, that hate speech has to be government sponsored or something like that but I disagree. Even Wiki says that hate speech can be "in law" or "outside the law".

The legal definition per US law is provided here: http://definitions.uslegal.com/h/hate-speech/

To quote verbatim the definition in the link, Hate speech is a communication that carries no meaning other than the expression of hatred for some group, especially in circumstances in which the communication is likely to provoke violence. It is an incitement to hatred primarily against a group of persons defined in terms of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and the like. Hate speech can be any form of expression regarded as offensive to racial, ethnic and religious groups and other discrete minorities or to women.

To answer your question, it is not about who determines how offensive a speech or form of expression is. it is about who deals with hate speech when multiple nations are involved. After all, this form of expression / speech has the potential to "incite" millions across nations. From what I understand, article 19 of international law deals with hate speech. There's an international committee to enforce prohibition of hate speech.

So does this cartoon drawing contest qualify to be hate speech? That's the only debate I see here. My position is that it does.

..FallAndFly..

Go to top