Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: -Believe-

'You want her to die!' Muslim hate preacher and extreme anti-Islam 'Draw Muhammad' activist face off in dramatic Fox confrontation 

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C53YeupaAE[/YOUTUBE]
here is a video that was broadcasted
Fatwa has been issued by shithead for Geller. once again religion of peace wins..!!👏
AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Of course people should try to be civilized. Of course, there are insane people out there who think they have a right, worse yet, a duty, to maim and kill you because of your speech. Of course the prudent and decent thing to do would be to not provoke the criminally insane

That doesn't mean the GOVERNMENT gets to ban it. Not only that, The government has to PROTECT it, because once you go down the slippery slope of banning offensive speech, then you can ban pretty much any kind of speech, including political speech. 
Edited by AnuMP - 8 years ago
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

You are losing your train of thought here.

You said that the change has to come from outside. I said that it has to come from within. Towards that end, I pointed out that a meaningful change can only happen if laws are amended and that can happen only from within. The people of those countries need to work on that. The ones outside (like Pamela Geller) aren't going to effect that change through organizing silly cartoon contests. The burden/onus of change falls on the citizens of a country. I am not sure what is so complex here that one can't follow?

In any case, this debate is not about how to "uplift" or "democratize" those nations.Matter of fact, America did try to "democratize" a few nations but other than a bad name and a bruised lip, it got nothing in return.

Originally posted by: Rehanism

I didn't speak of laws at all. I spoke about change in mindset of common people.

Laws are what keep the people in check. It doesn't matter how liberal I am or how progressive I am, if I live in Saudi, I still have to abide by their rules or risk getting stoned. So, to reiterate my point, laws need to change for a country to become a progressive nation. And that can only happen if people of that country take it upon themselves to effect that change (either by a rebellion and/or with the help of powerful allies)

Coming back to the debate, can you prove that these cartoon drawing contests have any tangible value? Simple question. Unless you are a world renowned psychologist, please don't answer in terms of what wonders these contests do to the psyche of a population.

K.Universe. thumbnail
Originally posted by: AnuMP

The point is GOVERNMENT should not block it. Neither should anyone physically attack you for it

The point is, once you deliberately offend, especially a large group of followers of a faith, the ones who are offended, may feel well within their rights to act on their rage, "laws" be damned. You may condemn the attack(s) but that is a moot point.

And worse off, scum like Andres Serrano or Pamela Geller, while "brave" enough to do what they please, including desecration of something that is near and dear to a lot of people, aren't so brave to face the music. They go into hiding, take police protection (a waste of our tax money by the way) and in general let innocents like the security personnel take the fall.
Edited by K.Universe. - 8 years ago
AnuMP thumbnail
Let me illustrate with an example then.
Once there is legislation against 'hate' speech what is to stop anyone from branding anything they don't approve of, as hate speech?

If someone then crictizes Jewish practice of curcumcisoon, does that become hate speech as well? Or mocks them for avoiding pork? 

Isn't that what happened to an established author like Rushdie? He was already a well known name and had no reason to use offensive marketing to sell his books. I happen to think those were his opinions. The state sponsored terrorists did go after him, and he perhaps should have known that. But does that make it OK for the government to forbid him from expressing his opinions?

It's a slippery slope.
K.Universe. thumbnail
Originally posted by: AnuMP

Let me illustrate with an example then.

Once there is legislation against 'hate' speech what is to stop anyone from branding anything they don't approve of, as hate speech?

If someone then crictizes Jewish practice of curcumcisoon, does that become hate speech as well? Or mocks them for avoiding pork? 

Isn't that what happened to an established author like Rushdie? He was already a well known name and had no reason to use offensive marketing to sell his books. I happen to think those were his opinions. The state sponsored terrorists did go after him, and he perhaps should have known that. But does that make it OK for the government to forbid him from expressing his opinions?

It's a slippery slope.

Stop saying slipper slope a million times. You are the one bringing up extraneous cases and you are the one crying foul.

There are gradations in offense. We need to visit criminal law for that. There are fatal offenses, personal offenses, property offenses, participatory offenses...

It is for the courts / judiciary to draw up the laws. Why are we even talking about what punishment justifies what offense?

Druids thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Criticising Jewish people IS an offence.
AnuMP thumbnail
Thankfully for me, I don't live in Europe.😆 
Plus, I think it's Holocaust denial that's a crime. That says more about their own guilty consciences IMO.
AnuMP thumbnail
Nope. Not the government. A private entity. 
Its not a crime in the US to deny the Holocaust or criticize any group,  though there are some who would like it to be.
Edited by AnuMP - 8 years ago
Arwen11 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I'm not a religious person at all... I hardly pray... I don't observe purdah... I would like to see some of these fundamentalist evangelists face the brunt of their hate speech... But damn man... If something is held sacred by more than a billion people,is it too much to ask for a modicum of consideration...
Many of these people won't get away with saying racist things against blacks or Asians... Woe betide you if you are anti gay and express this feeling... Oh god.. How dare you say the Holocaust never occurred... Don't like Israeli tactics.. ANTI-SEMITE!!!!
Draw Mohammad cartoons... Freedom of speech!

I'm not defending the violent retaliation... Far from it...and Muslims definitely need to be smarter about how they go about dealing with this And not reinforce stereotypes...  if someone goes violent in their protest, condem it.. Say that(and mean it) s/he needs to be tried to the full extant of the law...