Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

madhu.pmlist thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Heya people! Here is the next update. Sorry for the delay was caught up with work and fell sick and the cycle repeated ðŸ˜† I also had difficulties typing up the chapter because I was completely stuck on what to write. So after a lot of additions and deletions here is the next chapter. ðŸ˜ƒ
Chapter 44: Realizations and Repercussions 
Geet stood tensedly by the door clutching and releasing her duppatta. She was shocked and surprised he had come to meet her. Not a day had passed without her thinking about him. It had almost become inherent to start her day with his thoughts and end it with his. She hoped her walking away would finally give him a chance at happiness.

She gulped while adjusting her duppatta for the nth time. The nausea swirled unrestrained in her stomach and her head swam with regrets. It felt like a wolf eating at her chest, tearings it's way to her trembling heart. It threatened to devour her and leave nothing behind. Hearing him knock the door she took a long breath before opening the door. She watched as he stood clutching a big yellow envelope with his left arm while his other hand held a small bag.

The person that stood in front of her looked completely different from one she left behind seven months ago. There was an aura of grey around him. His shoulders sagged as if a giant boulder was laid on him. His face was stubbornly dry and numb of any feelings. She wished she could just erase the past and walk into his arms professing her love to him. But reality mocked her back.

"Hi Geet." His voice sounded rough even to his ears.

He scanned her from head to toe. She looked daungtingly thin and her skin looked alarmingly pale and clammy. It seemed like she never had gotten enough sleep over the months. Her eyes reflected an attitude of profound distress beneath a projecting mass of rock and robbing them of their usual warmth.

"Hi Maan." Her voice sounded hollow.

The apartment was much smaller than the penthouse he had rented for her. Yet it seemed to be well maintained. Maan looked over her shoulder to see everything placed in order. There was a small couch and a table with a chair in the name of furniture. An old oil painting of a lonely child watching kids play around in the park hung by the wall. A clear vase with wilted red and yellow tulips was kept on the table.

"Nice place," he said without any emotion in his tone.

No one made a move. Both stood facing each other but neither of them looked into each other's eyes as they spoke.

Geet wished to clarify why she moved away from the place he had gotten for her but suddenly she seemed to run out of words. She blankly stared at the yellow envelope he held before looking at the clock.

"Is it always busy down here?" he asked as he watched another car pass by through the window.
"Ji?" She scrunched her eyebrows confused at his sudden change of topic. She tried to read his expression but he seemed to show none. Did she expect any better after crushing his hopes and walking away like that on him? She gulped ignoring the huge lump forming in her throat while tears seemed to prick her eyes. "Ji," she replied casting her eyes down.

The atmosphere was highstrung with tension that one could cut through with a knife.

"Please sit down, main paani laati hoon," she said before hurrying towards the kitchen.

He took slow steps towards the couch. Placing the bag on the floor, he sat down while holding the envelope. She came out with a glass of water and held it in front of him to take. He took it from her, took a sip before placing it down on the floor. He stared out the window while she stared at the clock once again.

"I think it's gonna rain today," he remarked out of the blue.

"Ji," she replied in monosyllable looking at the dark grey clouds lining the horizon. "Dadima kaisi hai?" she enquired hesitantly.

"I guess she is coping well after all the things that happened."

She could read his subtle taunt was aimed at her. Afterall, she had broken his family apart and he had all the rights to point a finger at her. She looked away sniffing back her tears.

Another bout of awkward silence settled between them. The only sounds in the room were the ticking of the clock and faint sounds of honks and sirens from outside.
He had noticed her frequently looking at the clock from the corner of his eyes. He vowed that none of her actions would bother him but her constantly looking at the clock pricked him somewhere. Of course he hadn't expected her to run into his arms and with her eyes roving around the clock, he decided he would just hand her the papers and make a move. There was really no use wasting his time in a place where he was not wanted.

Clearing his throat he placed the envelope beside him on the couch before getting up in one quick move. "These are for you," he said pointing at the envelope and bending down to get his bag. "Jab tumhe time mil jayega, take a look and mail them back to me."

Geet looked up to see him hurriedly get up and wondered what that yellow envelope contained. "Yeh dene ke liye aap itni taqleef kyun uthaayi?" she blurted completely unware of his irritation.

He stopped to look directly into her eyes. Her question was the final nail in the coffin. His suspicions were right he was never welcome here. Had he become such a stranger that he wasn't even allowed to visit her?

"Taqleef?" he asked with a cynical smile, "tumne mujhe sivai aaj tak taqleef ke diya hi kya hai jo aaj taqleef ke bare mein baat kar rahi ho?"

She heard the door slam behind him. And he was gone.

A lone tear slipped from her eyes, followed by another and another until it became a steady stream.

"You are right Maan, maine aapko taqleef ke sivai kuch nahi diya," she mumbled sniffing back her tears. "Aur kuch nahi."

Slow desolate tears ran from her unblinking eyes and dripped steadily onto her pyjamas. Each new tear a hot trail of agony as slim, bare shoulders shook in each rake of emotion through her frame. A deep emptiness filled her heart. Breathing hitched and her knees grew weak causing her to slump on the cold wooden floor.

She didn't know how long she sat there staring at the door magically hoping he would come running back through them. Only when the phone blared through the room, she blinked her eyes away from the door.

She walked into her room wiping her already dried tears with the back of her hand. The incessant ringing seemed to momentarily stop only for it to start ringing again. Slinding it open, she held the phone near her ear only to hear the person on the other end scream in panic.

"Geet where are you? Why are you not picking up my calls?" Geet heard her panic-stricken voice.

"Angie, Angie," Geet intervened trying to calm her friend down. "Angie listen I am fine. I was working on something when you called so couldn't pick up your call," she said lying smoothly.

"Geet, you sound awful, you sure everything is fine?" Angie asked skeptically.

"I, I just woke up that's why I sound gruffy," she said swallowing her urge to sob.

"I ain't buying your excuses darling," Angie said shaking her head solemnly.

"But I'll keep the grilling sessions for later. For now hurry up or you are going to be late for the exam!"

"I'll be there soon," Geet replied before ending the call.
A feeling of dread crept over her as she mechanically gathered her books and other necessary items and shoved them into a bag. In this frozen state, her mind offered the only available thought about the exam that would help her attain her goal. Getting the apartment keys she unlocked the door with a click. Even the simple act of opening the door seemed laborious. She pulled harder and walked out. Locking the apartment she took the stairs down.

Her brain had switched into autopilot mode as she walked through the busy streets of New York City to her examination center. Her love had walked through those doors once again and she had stood helplessly watching. Dodging the many tourists who crowded the city to get a glimpse of the magic, she walked like a zombie into the testing center. Her head stayed bowed until her face had been dried by the wind and her composure regained.

Angie saw her walk into the center like a robot and hoped Geet was just tensed about the exam and nothing else.

Anjali Mehra known as Angie by her close family and friends had met Geet for the first time sitting lonely by the lakeside in Central Park. Growing up by the park she had seen many visit this place but none of them looked so emotionally bankrupt. Her eyes held a faraway look as though she had lost something she would never gain back in life. Unable to take her eyes off the pain she exuded, Angie went to sit beside her and strike a conversation. But nothing seemed to work as she saw Geet reply in monosyllables. Getting no proper reply, she decided to leave her alone.

Slowly this became a habit. Angie found Geet sitting by the lakeside every single day around the same time she came back home. Although Geet refused to reveal the pain that enveloped her soul in swirling blackness, she did open up to Angie. They realized both had finished their medical school and was in the process of writing the last exam. Having found common grounds both hung out together and many times teamed to study together.

"Baby is everything alright?" Angie asked with concern. "You look like you saw a ghost. Is it exam tension?"

Taking a long breath, Geet looked up to give Angie a small smile. Angie was her only solace in this huge unknown city. Geet had grown fond of her company and felt grateful for all the things Angie did for her. She couldn't put Angie through more trouble by revealing her woes. It was her pain and she would bear it in spite of the high intensity of heartache it caused her.

"Everything is under control," Geet said managing to put up a smile. "It's just im nervous about the exam."

"I'm sure you can solve these questions even in your sleep. Stop worrying and let's go and kick butt!" Angie winked as they entered the examination room.
They were taking the second part of Step 3 Exam that consisted of computer simulations of patient care. Geet sat at her computer station waiting for the screen to prompt her to begin.

Case history of the first pateint scenario read about a girl who is brought to the emergency room by her husband after her fall from the stairs. And instantly her thoughts went to the first day of their marriage when she fell down and sprained her ankle. She remembered his anxiety and his care.  

She remembered how the pain in the ankle was throbbing and her eyes had welled up with fresh tears due to extreme pain. Maan had noticed her pain and rushed to sit by her side to help her ease her pain. And she let him lift her her and gently placing her on the cement ledge on the corner of the road.

Her eyes stung with fresh tears as she recalled their encounter. Biting her lower lip she bagan to type the answer. It was your decision,' her mind reminded her as she paused to blankly stare at the screen, you let him go. It was the best decision for him and you.'

Minutes ticked by and a message popped on her screen reminding her screen was inactive and the time was running out. Wiping away a tear that blurred her from reading the next question, she continued mechanically typing on the screen.

She never seemed to register anything around her and refused to take a break in between. She kept typing away while occasionally rubbing off a lone tear that trickled down her cheek to the neck and chest before melting into the cloth she wore.  

Finishing the last question, she got off her seat and walked out solemnly. She waited for the proctors to finish up other formalities before giving her results.

"Wow Geet you finished already?" Angie came out looking surprised. "Tum itni nervous kyun ho darling, I am sure you would have done exceptionally well."

"Well congratulations Miss Handa, congratulations for completing the exam and I shall print the results in a few minutes," the guy printing out the results said. Placing all the papers into a folder along with the results he gave Geet her packet. Thanking the guy, Geet got up and let Angie complete her formalities.

Both walked back to their respective lockers to get their belongings when Angie looked at her test results. "Oh shucks yaar!" she exclaimed with a sigh, "Sirf 165 out of 190. I studied so much for this and look at the results," she said disappointment evident in her voice. "Ugh whatever, now that I am done with this, I am free!"

"How did you do Geet?" Angie asked closing the locker.

"I didn't check," Geet replied nonchalantly, folding her jacket. "Here you could check," she said handing the file to her.  

"But baby you work so hard for this and now you don't wan"" her eyes widened in surprise and happiness. "Wait what!" Angie screamed unable to contain her excitement looking at the results in front of her. "Oh my God! That's brilliant baby! I'm so proud of you!" she screamed hugging Geet. "188 out of 190, Geet! We need to celebrate this!" she said hugging her and jumping at the same time.

Angie realized all this time it was only her who was screaming with joy while her friend didn't seem to register anything going on around her. "Geet?" she called with her brows scrunched in confusion. "Geet you okay?" she asked once again shaking her shoulder. "Geet aren't you happy you did so well on the exam?" she asked only to find her still as a statue. Confused at Geet's reaction, Angie shook her slightly causing the yellow envelope to carelessly fall on the floor while some other papers flew out.

"I lost him forever," she whispered aimlessly staring ahead.

"Geet!" Angie exclaimed trying to gather all the papers when her eyes fell on the bold letters staring in front of her that read Deed of Mutual Divorce'. Shocked, she proceeded to read further only to realize it was divorce papers of Geet Handa with her husband, Maan Singh Khurana. "Geet, yeh sab kya hai?" She tried to make sense of things going around her.

"I lost him," Geet repeated not registering anything around her. Dark clouds of gloom enveloped her shutting her heart completely.  Even the loss of her mother didn't evoke such emotions in her. She felt crushed and her head swam with regrets of letting the man she loved go. 

Precap: "Wo Mohabbat Ka Sauda Bhi Ajeeb Karti Hai...Bas Muskurati Hai Aur Dil Kharid Leti Hai..."

Like I mentioned before this story is going to end in max 4-5 updates. If there is anything you guys want to read in particular please let me know and I will try my best to include. Also I may have left some loopholes so please do let me know so I can close those up too ðŸ˜³ I have planned something for the next update but I want to know if you guys want anything specific for Maaneet meeting or the way Maan reacts or accepts. 

I know many of you want Geet to suffer and Maan to hate her. But incorporating that will number one, stretch the story and also she has been suffering all along. So to show more suffering will get too boring. Anyways let me know people! ðŸ˜ƒ
Edited by madhu.pmlist - 8 years ago
Endgame thumbnail
so painful update geet finally understood the pain of leaving maan whom she loved most may be now she will realise her leavin him how much hurt him deeply
annirogc thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
painful update..geet finally understood what she lost.. hope they meet soon again
honeygrape thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
owww... feeling terrible for geet n maan... both are suffering a looot and equallly ... i dont wish to see her suffering more than this tooo...poor thing has gone through a looot already,...
abinash079 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
painful but geet herself knows that she deserves it so she is bearing everything
maan came to give the divorce paper hoping that geet will amend her mistake this time
aditi_2010 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
That was really heart wrenching. I know it was Geet's choice and she regretted it but somehow reading about her being so hollow and numb was more excruciating than I had initially thought. I felt for her soo much though I know Maan was right in his own place. Please update soon. And once everything is done I want a romantic , fluffy update of this two maybe roaming round somewhere and all to compensate for this heartwrenching one.😉
fict thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
painful update. In her uncertainties and fear of not being able to fulfill her mother's dream, she pushed Maan too far. Its going to take some work to make him trust her again with his heart as he was rejected and broken repeatedly by her.
flowing_river thumbnail
it was very painful..but it's all her doing...
isn't it??
now she has lost maan forever...
khwaishfan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7
hi thanks 4 da pm n heart wrenching update! superbly written! Both r suffering! Maan sees her pale face n thin body! Maaneet silent! Maan leaves the papers n leaves! Geet hurt! Bt this is wat she wanted! Angie calls her! She is worried hearing Geet! Geet goes 4 the exams! Angie is a lovely friend! Geet thinks abt Maan! she aces the exams! Geet shattered seeing the divorce papers! realisation dawns tht she lost him forever! update sppn
janu_2006 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
gr8 part..
cont.soon

thanks for pm dear..