Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

simi1295

Goldie

simi1295

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 10:13am | IP Logged
 i don't think interracial marriages are bad.... but i guess we should look ahead and see what kind of effect it would have on every1.  i was thinking if i would be able to get married to a guy outside, and after alot of thinking, i dont think i would be able 2.. i would want to marry some1 who is same as me.. i love indian movies, and i dont think i can go watch an indian movie if my hubby is not indian....  so i dont knw abt any1 else but for me, i dont think i can.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "interracial marraiges (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

prem_diwani

IF-Dazzler

prem_diwani

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 2:52pm | IP Logged

pj04 -- thank you for your post-- it answers some questions I had about kids growing up -- away from India.

As the saying goes- miya biwi raazi toh kya karega kaazi-- holds good here.
The world is becoming a smaller place and its people more cosmopolitan. So why the prejudice on race?

I personally have no problem with an inter- racial marriage, but how successful these marriages are and what are its ramifications, is a different issue altogether?

When I see an inter racial marriage, my discomfort arises when I ask myself -Now what??? -- will the Indian give up on everything he/she represents as an Indian to blend into another world.
They in turn give rise to a generation that is forced to choose between the two races and its cultural traditions? Children raised here cannot be blamed for saying - We are American - our parents are Indian. Most of them would find it easy to choose a non-Indian and blend sooner in the society as an American rather than stand out as an Indian.

Is that what our centuries old heritage comes down too? Can two races truly blend as a unified whole, with both individuals holding on to their cultural heritage and yet walk in tandem?  I think not. At some point a compromise is called for and that is when there is no turning back.

So with these thoughts in mind I don't advocate inter-racial marriages but if it happens I don't condone it as it's up to the couple to work their differences out.

**PD**

Edited by prem_diwani - 28 June 2005 at 2:53pm

bkeero

IF-Dazzler

bkeero

Posted: 29 June 2005 at 12:39pm | IP Logged

Very interesting topic...

I don't have any problems with interracial marriages what so ever... my my whole family including all my siblings don't agree with me.. they think marrying out of your culture and heritage always brings up differnces in relationships and I don't agree with that... I wasn't born here but raised here most of my life... and in that time your mentality changes a lot...

My cousin got married to an Indian guy like 9 years ago and he divorced her after like year and half when he got all his paperwork.... she wen't thru a lot with what people had to say... talk about people being closed minded they blamed her because she grew up here and he was form India... so her thinking was too americanized for him... oh come on people what century are you living in.....

He remarried couple of years ago with a girl from here and she left him because he was too typical for her....

My cousin never remarried again because no indian family wanted someone who was already married before..

She has been dating a white guy now for two years and I have never seen her happier, she hasn't told her family yet but I am sure all hell will break loose once they find out... since they plan on getting married since he proposed and she accepted her....

and as far as arranged marriage are concerned MY parents want me to go thru that I don't know if I want to jump in that boat yet....

Post Reply New Post

Go to top