Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin General Discussion
Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin General Discussion

Purab Has Quit The Show ????? (Page 4)

OodlesDoodles IF-Veteran Member
OodlesDoodles
OodlesDoodles

Posted: 18 November 2004 at 4:37pm | IP Logged

Jassi's hero

Samir Soni, the man who's now in the hotseat is too smitten to admit that Jassi jaissi koi nahin.

Baisakhi Roy

Ludhiana, October 15:HOW does he feel now that the focus has shifted from both main characters, Jassi and Armaan to him? ''I really don't think that's true. Jassi's truly the mainstay of the story. But I guess Purab symbolises niceness and every man identifies with a bit of what he is,'' says Samir Soni, the Delhi boy who's been in Mumbai for the past eight years now.

"It's always about her. Without Jassi, there's no story,'' continues the 33-year-old actor. One wonders if he too (like the rest of the cast) is playing out his onscreen part of being the noble man smitten by geek queen Jassi, in real life. But then the shy smile peeks out and you know that you have a straight-talker here. Soni's character (Purab) is that of a suave, generous and soft-spoken man who is the foil to the bad guy that's Armaan Sir (Apoorva Agnihotri) for the ignorant.

He made his mark as the cunning but slick Ashok Gupta in Doordarshan's A Mouthful of Sky in 1996, followed by forgettable cameos in films like Raj Kumar Santoshi's China Gate. Now he insists that crossover films are right up his alley. ''I think that there's a niche but growing audience out there that wants to watch crossover cinema. Besides, I think there is a touch of reality to these kind of films'' he says.

Soni played a part in the recent Pamela Rooks film, Dance like a Man and will soon be seen alongside Mandira Bedi in a play by Vikranth Pawar, tentatively titled Double Act.

So will he do everything else but commercial cinema? After all, most move to Mumbai for that big break on the big screen. But our man says, ''Theatre is refreshing to do once in a while. I think it keeps an actor on his toes. As far as films are concerned, if there is a role that excites me enough, I'll do it.''

The finance student from UCLA, USA, is known for his goody-two-shoes image. Does he feel stereotyped? ''I do get feedback saying that I play very similar characters in my serials. But I've also played a slum dweller in a short film by Faisal Khan (Aamir Khan's brother) called Basti,'' he counters.

So, a final shot, will Soni love his dear bracy Jassi till the end of time? ''I'm guessing till the serial gets over, yes, I'll love her,'' he twinkles.

anniegupta_ Goldie
anniegupta_
anniegupta_

Posted: 18 November 2004 at 5:08pm | IP Logged
thanks for the article fortvpur Wink

i don't think samir has left jjkn. As sum1 said before, he is just gone to america. And I hope he'll be back soon... becuz his charcter is so getting screwed up! (he didn't talk to jassi properly-- usually it gets annoying how he is always after her; he was drunk in today's epz-- that so does not sound like the purab we love... and there is so much more)

As for who is a better actor or whatever... i think samir and aproova are both good. I still like the character purba WAY better then armaans character. But between samir and aproova i like them both. I was watrching an old cassette and even thoguh samir ALWAYS looks hot armaan was actually looking good and he looked hot... and its funny how i actually felt sorry for the poor guy. So i don't think we should argue over who in person is better,becuz they're both awesome.
Minnie IF-Rockerz
Minnie
Minnie

Posted: 18 November 2004 at 5:31pm | IP Logged
ClapClapClap Very well said Annie
nishi IF-Dazzler
nishi
nishi

Posted: 19 November 2004 at 5:45am | IP Logged
if samir is not a good actor why does he end up doing films like dance like a man with great actors like shobhana(who is two time national award winner ) ,arif or now in his forthcoming film with rahul bose ?
ides IF-Dazzler
ides
ides

Posted: 19 November 2004 at 11:48am | IP Logged
I dont even know why we r discussing this....Confused

I mean different characters demand different things so how Samir/Apoorva did in any prior fims has no impact on JJKN.......Purab's character is popular because of the way Samir played this role.......similarly Armaan's popularity means that he has also played his part well....I believe that if these roles were played by different people we would have different reations to them.......

personally I did not like any of Samir's movies but I think his acting was great in music videos.....as for Apoorva, he realy stood out in Pardes but other than that I didnt find any of his other roles noteworthy.....

Also, were Purab's presence not important to the trp's, T&D would not even have tried to deviate from the origional story and run against issues of copyrights......his character would have exited right after Alibagh......the very fact that they re introduced him at the expence of all the problems means that they wanted him and his BAD acting pretty bad......Wink
surnita Goldie
surnita
surnita

Posted: 19 November 2004 at 2:56pm | IP Logged
Hi Nishi - Samir got bad reviews for dance like a man too!!!!  I read some reviews online!
amaypranay IF-Rockerz
amaypranay
amaypranay

Posted: 19 November 2004 at 6:41pm | IP Logged

hey nishi,

can i ask you a question, which film are you talking about ....where Samir and Rahul,are going to act together...

luvs, deepika

anniegupta_ Goldie
anniegupta_
anniegupta_

Posted: 19 November 2004 at 10:09pm | IP Logged
i wanna see dance like a man

Go to top