Song in Guide was first feminist anthem: Waheeda Rehman

Posted: 9 years ago

Song in Guide was first feminist anthem: Waheeda Rehman

TNN | Apr 6, 2015, 12.39 AM IST

BENGALURU: When she said 'puraani yaadein taaza ho gayi', actor Waheeda Rehman might have been echoing the sentiment of every audience member who had come to watch her and Sharmila Tagore talk about their years in the film industry in The Rendezvous, a live chat accompanied by music held on Saturday. 

Looking as elegant as always, Waheeda hatted with filmmaker Brahmanand Singh about her career and colleagues. 

"Guru Dutt thought I looked like a girl, too young to play the wife in Sahib, Bibi Aur Ghulam. And looking back, I think he was right," recalled Waheeda Rehman who described Dutt as "a passionate filmmaker whose constant thought was making movies. He sent VK Murthy to London so that he could watch the shooting of Guns of Navarone and learn from it". 

Waheeda sparked nostalgia by sharing her memories of shooting Guide with Dev Anand. "It's my favourite. The story is evergreen, and the characters have so many shades. They are not villains or saints," she said, adding that she had been warned "not to take on the role of a woman who was married and having an affair". 

"Recently when I visited Bhuj, a guide pointed out to me that the song Aaj phir jeene ki tamanna hai may have been the first truly feminist song in Hindi cinema," she said. 

In fact, feminism and the film industry's need to make actresses conform to patriarchal stereotypes was something Sharmila Tagore spoke at length as well. Articulate and candid, she didn't flinch from critiquing her peers. 

"Director Shakti Samanta told me I couldn't be seen in a bikini because it would make me seem 'frivolous'. Another time, at a success party that Dev saab threw for Guide, I danced with the choreographer and once again Samanta told me, 'A heroine is not supposed to talk in public, smile in public, or dance in public. She is supposed to sit quietly in a corner," Sharmila recalled. 

She was equally eloquent talking about issues close to her heart: From her CBFC chairmanship days - "I viewed the department as a bridge between civil society, the industry and the government," Sharmila said - to her role as a Unicef goodwill ambassador. "A lot needs to be done at the grassroots level for women's empowerment, but the fact that we are talking about it suggests things are changing for the Indian woman. I think 'equal opportunity' is what true woman's empowerment stands for," Sharmila said. 

What held these engaging conversations together throughout the evening were hit songs of the actresses sung ably by Sinchan Dixit, Madhura Datar, Gaurav Bangia, Shurojit Guha, Anjana Padmanabhan, among others. The Rendezvous was organized by MAAM Entertainment. 

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/Song-in-Guide-was-first-feminist-anthem-Waheeda-Rehman/articleshow/46817886.cm
s
Waheedaji... My all time fav actress... So much elegance and class... She is aged so beautifully...
Aaj phir jeene ki tamanna hai was, is and always will be my all time liberation song. Absolutely love it!
kaaton se kheech ke ye aanchal.. tor ke bandhan baandhi payal 😳
koi na roke dil ki zubaan ko ..dil jo kahe aa a a aa

aaj phir jeene ki tammanna hai aaj phir marne ka irada hai
Originally posted by Sunshine_1130

kaaton se kheech ke ye aanchal.. tor ke bandhan baandhi payal 😳
koi na roke dil ki zubaan ko ..dil jo kahe aa a a aa

aaj phir jeene ki tammanna hai aaj phir marne ka irada hai

continuation

Apne hi bas mein nahi main ...Dil hai kahin to hoon kahin main...

Ho jaane kya pa ke meri zindagi ne...Hans kar kaha ha ha ha ha ha ha

aaj phir jeene ki...

😃
Vande Mataram and many ancient scriptures, shloks, aartis are all abt the 'Naari shakti". Feminism, chuavinism, psuedo-intellectuals, psedo-secular, right-wing, left-wing.. are all mixed up now. 
Sorry, I dont wanna take this topic to that territory. 

I just cant recall some nice old songs with deep meanings about women power and tolerance.  

I never liked waheeda ji's character in guide though. Bechara raju 
Aaj phir jeene ki tamanna hai makes one feel like a free bird as one listens to it. Beautiful music, meaniningful lyrics and exceptional rendition by Lata ji.

There were many films about human rights, youth power, child rights, woman empowerment and power of common man which were not branded in slick campaigns. Religious unity, unity beyond race and caste, were other themes which even potboilers used to take up.

Sometimes when I revisit old films on classic movie channels I do feel many of them did try to challenge status quo and showed daring stuff.

Waheeda Rehman and Nargis Dutt also took risky subjects like mental health through films like Khamoshi and Raat Aur Din.

Heroines of the past struggled against greater odds than today's heroines and they accomplished feats that are still hard to emulate. I don't remember any other heroine who rose from a junior artiste type to an A lister working with cream of all heroes the way Mumtaz did.

Sharmila Tagore's been another actress who did well both in Hindi and regional cinema and also kept working as leading lady even after marriage and during her pregnancy. Same for Hema Malini whom redefined female stardom. Tell me about any other actress still in demand after her marriage and working with A listers even despite pregnancy (she was pregnant during making of Satte pe Satta).

Going by their personal accounts, it seems male chauvinism was in your face back then, they had little support from families as well because this profession was not considered good for girls. So all those who tried to break stereotypes their own way, deserve to be commended.

Guide itself was a rare gem of a movie that broke stereotypes with its female lead. 
Originally posted by mahatma123

I never liked waheeda ji's character in guide though. Bechara raju 

ofcourse...she was shown as a selfish lady,who sent raju to jail

and

raju guide is the hero of the movie,whose character seeks love,pain and death

what baffles me was the ending of the movie how the villagers forced him to do fasting..Ouchand made him god man,which is unnecessary and got dragged...

but overall the MELODIOUS songs,powerful dialogues and brilliant performance of the lead pair made the movie memorable...