Chat Clubs

India-Forums

Chat Clubs
Chat Clubs

Kaise yeh Shodiyaan # 3 -IO- Chacha nazuk hai, Chachi ashleel hai. (Page 89)

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 11:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by BoxedIn

She needs to watch some Gul shows then. Saare PHEELZ toxic ho jayenge, and detox karne waapas KY2 ka light romance dekhna padega. LOL

LOL@ light romance...ironic naa? Considering how the media and most ppl label MaNan and this show as nothing but a series of "hawt" scenesLOL

I'm so beyond tired of watching cookie cutter storylines and scenes in most shows...so MaNan ka brand of "romance"...light or dark or whatever it is works for me right now...anything as long as they don't look like they are going through the motions...as long as they make it look natural.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

BoxedInEXOL

BoxedIn IF-Dazzler
BoxedIn
BoxedIn

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 11:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by AreYaar

LOL@ light romance...ironic naa? Considering how the media and most ppl label MaNan and this show as nothing but a series of "hawt" scenesLOL

I'm so beyond tired of watching cookie cutter storylines and scenes in most shows...so MaNan ka brand of "romance"...light or dark or whatever it is works for me right now...anything as long as they don't look like they are going through the motions...as long as they make it look natural.

The problem is, if you haven't watched KY2 from the beginning, MaNan will seem like a 'hawt' type couple, simply because you don't know the background and can't see how they have progressed. Theirs is not a chhui-mui type romance at all- it has always been very physical and they've justified it pretty well too wrt the characters.

@bold: Same. I've years of tv watching experience behind me and I can safely say that MaNan have been refreshingly different till now. Yes they have their cliched eyelocks and trip-fall-catches and almost kisses, but I like how they've progressed not just plot-wise (which is bound to happen) but character-wise too. Plus the communication between them- one of the best I've seen on desi tv. A couple who actually talk about issues frankly. And PaNi do have natural chemistry, even if it's not the best I've seen.    

Edited by BoxedIn - 09 January 2015 at 11:45am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

queenoftimbaktuEXOLPrincessAshVikAreYaar

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 11:55am | IP Logged

The problem is, if you haven't watched KY2 from the beginning, MaNan will seem like a 'hawt' type couple, simply because you don't know the background and can't see how they have progressed. Theirs is not a chhui-mui type romance at all- it has always been very physical and they've justified it pretty well too wrt the characters.

@bold: Same. I've years of tv watching experience behind me and I can safely say that MaNan have been refreshingly different till now. Yes they have their cliched eyelocks and trip-fall-catches and almost kisses, but I like how they've progressed not just plot-wise (which is bound to happen) but character-wise too. Plus the communication between them- one of the best I've seen on desi tv. A couple who actually talk about issues frankly. And PaNi do have natural chemistry, even if it's not the best I've seen.    

LOL many recent viewers who've caught up with the whole show in like 3 days or something surprisingly still retain the view that it's all about the hawt kisses only...lol...oh well.  The maturity with which the physicality b/w these characters has been tackled isn't really understood by everyone.

MaNan have a story beyond the cliches because they communicate...that's something rare among the endless shows that I"ve watched too...I've seen more intense, more meaningful, more dramatic love stories but MaNan have a rare kind of unassuming, almost disarming honesty in their relationship that I like watching.

They are hardly the first angsty/obsessive/love-hate pair on TV...but still they have some quality that sets them apart from the herd...and that quality is not those kisses that everyone raves about...lol

As for PaNi...it's that same thing...they aren't the best chemistry I've seen but they have a rare natural quality to them that sometimes even the best of pairs don't manage to bring out...it is that natural quality that seeps into their enactment of MaNan...whether it's for the intimate scenes or the angsty ones...they play these confused teenagers finding their way to love pitch perfectly...they have a very real, very today quality to them.

queenoftimbaktuBoxedInEXOLPrincessAshVik

BoxedIn IF-Dazzler
BoxedIn
BoxedIn

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 12:08pm | IP Logged
@Anu: Exactly. I checked out the show because it was supposed to be an adaptation of HYD/BoF, both of which I find very disturbing for various reasons, and was curious to see how they would adapt it to an Indian context. But KY2 took a completely different route post the first punch, and MaNan's is actually a much healthier, more believable story than I'm used to seeing either on Indian tv or in most K-dramas.  And you're right, they have a very contemporary feel to them, especially Nandini's character. Goody-two-shoes can so often veer into 'moral lecturer' territory, but I find her very grounded and relatable somehow. Niti's cute little baby-face helps too, of course. LOL

Edited by BoxedIn - 09 January 2015 at 12:09pm

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 12:16pm | IP Logged

@Anu: Exactly. I checked out the show because it was supposed to be an adaptation of HYD/BoF, both of which I find very disturbing for various reasons, and was curious to see how they would adapt it to an Indian context. But KY2 took a completely different route post the first punch, and MaNan's is actually a much healthier, more believable story than I'm used to seeing either on Indian tv or in most K-dramas.  And you're right, they have a very contemporary feel to them, especially Nandini's character. Goody-two-shoes can so often veer into 'moral lecturer' territory, but I find her very grounded and relatable somehow. Niti's cute little baby-face helps too, of course. LOL

I actually don't have any context regarding Korean shows and the kind of storylines they follow.

I watched this on Rafi's insistence...HAHA IRONYLOL...she kept insisting I watch...and I was bored and vella enough with nothing else to watch so jumped inLOL

I went in expecting another typical teenage/ "youth show" with typical shallow characters, shallow storylines and the obligatory "romantic" scenes...but MaNan ended up surprising me...they still continue to surprise me actually cuz this is the point by which I give up watching most stuffLOL...but I'm still watching MaNan...kuch toh baat hai inmein.

So I have no idea what was happening in BoF but MaNan seem refreshing, period...from the punch to the STORE ROOM :P to the kisses to everything else...they've intrigued me.

Re: contemporary vibe...totally agree...Nandu's characterization is a big part of the draw for me...to pull off an idealistic character without making her the typical preachy lecturing female that most desi shows have as a lead is a big win in my eyes...Niti's sincere, natural innocence no doubt helps a lot with that...she doesn't let Nandu get contrived ...her rawness helps too...gives a scrubbed/natural vibe to the character as well...her mannerisms don't seem cloying or put on.

And even Parth deserves his share of credit for pulling off Manik the way he has...when the boy does good, he does really good...from the Monstrous shades to Manik to the softer/in love version of him and the way he teases Nandu...he's made it all look natural.

Edited by AreYaar - 09 January 2015 at 12:16pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

queenoftimbaktuBoxedIn.Kiran.EXOLPrincessAshVik

BoxedIn IF-Dazzler
BoxedIn
BoxedIn

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 12:40pm | IP Logged
The fact the Manik is a hero with mommy issues but who isn't a misogynist or an MCP by any means. He also doesn't seem to come off as very class-conscious to me- there were shades of that in the earlier episodes but it's never been a big part of his character, and it's all quite different from your conventional 'dark hero' on tv.
And yeah, Nandini is my favourite too. She's not preachy but just plain sorted. I can't remember when I last saw a desi tv heroine who just used plain common sense to get by, rather than being annoyingly chirpy or cloyingly sweet. Plus she's refreshingly open about physical intimacy and very non-judgemental, even if she's traditional. Really like that.
TV writers get their female characters right so very rarely, it's nice how they have written her. And casting's been great for both, like you said. I especially love how they use the actors' height difference in the show; it's very cute. 

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

queenoftimbaktu.Kiran.EXOLPrincessAshVikcharminggenieAreYaar

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 12:49pm | IP Logged

The fact the Manik is a hero with mommy issues but who isn't a misogynist or an MCP by any means. He also doesn't seem to come off as very class-conscious to me- there were shades of that in the earlier episodes but it's never been a big part of his character, and it's all quite different from your conventional 'dark hero' on tv.
And yeah, Nandini is my favourite too. She's not preachy but just plain sorted. I can't remember when I last saw a desi tv heroine who just used plain common sense to get by, rather than being annoyingly chirpy or cloyingly sweet. Plus she's refreshingly open about physical intimacy and very non-judgemental, even if she's traditional. Really like that.
TV writers get their female characters right so very rarely, it's nice how they have written her. And casting's been great for both, like you said. I especially love how they use the actors' height difference in the show; it's very cute. 

WORD on Nandu...sorted is SO the word for her...and yes she is just plain common sense for the most part without acting preachy about it...love that about her...and yes she's generally non-judgemental (except in Manik's case but can't blame her for being prejudiced initiallyLOL)...and I'm so very thankful that she isn't made hyper or chirpy for the sake of being called "cute"...her cuteness is natural.

RE: Manik...Yes he isn't the typical misogynist "brooding" hero that we are swamped with on TV thanks to Gul Khan's brainless shows...he has his issues but the non-typical handling of those issues has made him a character worth watching too...

The class consciousness hasn't been played up barring the few initial scenes when he called Nandu a commoner but again they never really dwelled on it...he seemed to be saying it just for the heck of playing up the Monster image.

Another thing that amuses me is how they never play up the CULTURAL differences either...the North v/s South...yes they play up Nandu's roots by her constant invoking of Aiyyapa but Manik's "Punjabiness" is never displayed other than the kadaa he wearsLOL...it's never been an issue b/w them...and that is again something so contemporary...people don't dwell on these things since people from all over the country are interacting with each other in colleges.

The height difference toh I'm a big sucker for...lol it's too cuteLOL...she's like this tiny doll in front of the HULK that he isLOL

queenoftimbaktuBoxedIn.Kiran.PrincessAshVik

BoxedIn IF-Dazzler
BoxedIn
BoxedIn

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 1:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by AreYaar

WORD on Nandu...sorted is SO the word for her...and yes she is just plain common sense for the most part without acting preachy about it...love that about her...and yes she's generally non-judgemental (except in Manik's case but can't blame her for being prejudiced initiallyLOL)...and I'm so very thankful that she isn't made hyper or chirpy for the sake of being called "cute"...her cuteness is natural.

RE: Manik...Yes he isn't the typical misogynist "brooding" hero that we are swamped with on TV thanks to Gul Khan's brainless shows...he has his issues but the non-typical handling of those issues has made him a character worth watching too...

The class consciousness hasn't been played up barring the few initial scenes when he called Nandu a commoner but again they never really dwelled on it...he seemed to be saying it just for the heck of playing up the Monster image.

Another thing that amuses me is how they never play up the CULTURAL differences either...the North v/s South...yes they play up Nandu's roots by her constant invoking of Aiyyapa but Manik's "Punjabiness" is never displayed other than the kadaa he wearsLOL...it's never been an issue b/w them...and that is again something so contemporary...people don't dwell on these things since people from all over the country are interacting with each other in colleges.

The height difference toh I'm a big sucker for...lol it's too cuteLOL...she's like this tiny doll in front of the HULK that he isLOL

Lol @the cultural differences. It's a very interesting point actually, because Nandini's Chacha-Chachi are this 'North meets South' couple too, and they are your typical stereotypes. As for Manik, his isa very Bong name, as is his mom Noyonika's, so logically, he comes from a mixed race too. But that's all moot anyway since he doesn't come from a traditional familial set-up in any case, so all his 'cultural' nuances will be very cosmopolitan, urban Bombay. Nandini on the other hand, does come from a traditional South Indian upbringing and sometimes I wish they would show references to her old life too, other than Aiyyappa. The dance, the music, her grandma. Right now toh her entire life seems to revolve aroubnd Manik and Fab-5, which is okay but I think her individual character deserves a bit more space of its own.
Navya again, you can see, has had this very Bihari feel to her from the start- her clothes, speech, mannerisms. So maybe it's yet another pointer to the differences in the two girls- one is very cosmopolitan and open-minded, while the other is stereotypical small-town.  

Edited by BoxedIn - 09 January 2015 at 1:05pm

Go to top