India-Forums

Suhani Si Ek Ladki
Suhani Si Ek Ladki

Why Soumya Should Have Been A Positive Character

SwaDarsh-AaRa Senior Member
SwaDarsh-AaRa
SwaDarsh-AaRa

Posted: 31 December 2014 at 4:18am | IP Logged
Hello. I am Sharon Naina Roy and not very active in the forum.
Before you start bashing me, I just want to say why Soumya should have been postitive. I absolutely hate her but some thoughts popped into my mind.
Firstly, Suhani and Soumya are best friends. Soumya started off as a postitive character but later turned negative. By her grey shades, their friendship will spoil. For a friendship to fail, it doesn't have to be good vs bad. It can depend on the person's perspective.
Just because Soumya is pretty and rich and Suhani is not, there is no need to portray Suhani as a Devi and Soumya as a Dayan. Can't a pretty and rich girl be equally good-natured as a not ao pretty and not so rich girl?
The Yuvraj Aspect: For the developement of SuRaj's (is that their name? relationship, Soumya needn't be negative. It's very run of the mill, isn't it? Two girls, one boy. Because one is bad, the girl and boy fall in love. I think it would have been better if Soumya had stayed positive for SuRaj's relationship. It would have been beautiful to see Yuvraj falling for Suhani despite of Soumya's good nature and his past feelings for her. If Soumya is a plotting and scheming, it's obvious that Yuvraj will fall in love with Suhani's inate goodness. His love for Suhani should only be because he's in love with her not because Soumya has gone all crazy and bad.

Those were my views. But Soumya is negative and I hate her. I just wish that we didn't love Suhani because we hated Soumya. Yuvraj should have been in love with Suhani with Soumya as a positive character. It should have been realistic. Soumya should have felt hurt but encouraged her best friend and Yuvraj to start afresh.

Please don't bash me.

Love
Sharon

The following 14 member(s) liked the above post:

anurishsherryllkiko2310shaybabiiex3sanaasrChrisinSfeministParm.clarityJustlikethat1DelusionalMesandiabColt.Pixyyanks28

Parm. IF-Rockerz
Parm.
Parm.

Posted: 31 December 2014 at 4:36am | IP Logged
No bashing at all Sharon and I'm glad you've decided to write your opinion.

I actually never thought of it from that angle and I have to agree that that would have added a whole other dimension to Yuvani's relationship had Somu been a positive character.     It would have been amazing to see him still choose Suhani even if Somu had all the characteristics of a good soul to go with a pretty face.  

Alas, CVS I guess don't think there is enough masala in a show unless it's chalk full of negative or grey characters.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

ChrisinSfeministElitasandiabclarity

Elita Goldie
Elita
Elita

Posted: 31 December 2014 at 5:00am | IP Logged
Hello Sharon,
Nice post and a new perspective to think about.
 I don't mind seeing Soumya standing up for Suhani in front of dadi and co...and make them understand how beautiful Suhani is as a person. I see only Sharad and Pratima doing it.

@ Sharon... It would have been beautiful to see Yuvraj falling for Suhani despite of Soumya's good nature and his past feelings for her. If Soumya is a plotting and scheming, it's obvious that Yuvraj will fall in love with Suhani's inate goodness. His love for Suhani should only be because he's in love with her not because Soumya has gone all crazy and bad.
Wish such a thing happens...realization striking Yuvraj soon that he has a pure and honest soul for a soulmate.

Edited by Elita - 31 December 2014 at 5:03am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Parm.clarity

kiko2310 Groupbie
kiko2310
kiko2310

Posted: 31 December 2014 at 5:17am | IP Logged
Ohmygo!!  I can't tell you how much I agree with you! I have been thinking of this since a long time.
This is just convenient, make the pretty girl evil so that he can fall for the 'less prettier' girl.
Why can't the guy fall for Suhani despite Soumya being equally good in nature? Is the only way he can fall for Suhani by making the other girl a villain. Suhani on her own is a wonderful girl, she doesn't deserve to be somebody's Plan B.
If Yuvraaj would have fallen in love with Suhani despite Soumya being as good as she was initially, it would have been so refreshing and true.

Elitaclarity

sandiab IF-Sizzlerz
sandiab
sandiab

Posted: 31 December 2014 at 6:19am | IP Logged
Lovely post Sharon I do agree it would have been best if she would have been kept positive coz really watching her acts now are simply torture. However for me I have never liked her even when she was positive I always thought that there was something off with this character and she would be shown as a diff type of grey negative character on tv. She had always been very much aware of the sort of ppl she was dealing with and dealt with them accordingly, she was sharp, knew her own mind and wasn't influenced. This whole damsel in distress routine and her being influenced by the old hag has just not gone down well with me for her character. Out of her and suhani she is the worldly 1 and understands others better. Bt at the same time this is suhani's real somu                  I have never once felt like they are portraying her incorrectly they are just bringing her awfulness more out in the open. Only thing that they got wrong is trying to make every1 think that she is being influenced coz this girl is an independent thinker. Really they complicated this character unnecessary bt giving her so much of screen time. Bt really I have never thought once that she would behave this way with suhani though she took such enjoyment of suhani humilation yesterday.                               And as for yuvraj and his feelings for the 2 girls I have never thought that it was a choice btw the good girl and the bad girl coz I dnt think he has been shown to consciously choose btw them. I think that coz of suhani he has in his own way forgiven souyma for what happened in the past and when he finds out what she is doing now he is just gona be disgusted coz once again she has cheated him and that's as a friend. Bt really for the confused soul to do such a thing as to compare the 2 girls would be amazing to watch.

ElitaParm.

clarity IF-Sizzlerz
clarity
clarity

Posted: 31 December 2014 at 6:31am | IP Logged
We're all a pretty friendly lot out here, so don't worry about being bashed. LOL

I agree with your perspective and even made a post about the unnecessary vilification of Soumya- http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4245505.

Soumya was Suhani's BFF and looking at their relationship before all this drama- there is absolutely no explanation for Soumya becoming the vile snake that she is now. TBH, the CVs took the old route of pitting two girls against each other for one guy- where one girl is the typical vamp and the other the typical good girl.
Not all love triangles are evil vs good, but they made it this way so as to appeal to the Indian audience which seems to be unable to comprehend nuanced characters such as good people who do bad things sometimes( case in point- Suhani has absolutely no sense of self-preservation or any kind of ambition of her own regarding her life, relationships etc. Apparently, being a doormat is what qualifies as being "good" in the books of the CVs) or ambivalent people who can't be put into one of the two boxes.

I agree that I don't want Yuvraj to choose Suhani after comparing the two in his mind, he doesn't seem to be doing it right now, and hope he doesn't do it later. I want Suhani to be his first choice and not the one he chooses when he realises that the toy he picked was actually broken aka Soumya.

Parm.sandiab

Justlikethat1 IF-Sizzlerz
Justlikethat1
Justlikethat1

Posted: 31 December 2014 at 6:54am | IP Logged
I agree!!
What you have articulated is something that would have been very good if explored. However the creatives of this show have decided to take the usual route and make a vamp out of the third wheel in the love story so that they can glorify the main lead.
I do not understand when creatives will understand that a third wheel, even if she is a girl can be dignified and still retire gracefully from the love story instead of having to be totally black to be eliminated.

When this show started, the concept of the show was about 3 individuals, all three with very different viewpoints on love. This story was supposed to be how superficiality would give way to real beauty, for Yuvraj and Sowmya while for Suhani, her dream of true love would be realized..

Soumya was shown as someone who believed in love, passionate and hifi, a girl with dreams who loved the concept of falling in love than actually being in love for real.

Suhani was the happy go lucky girl who believed in true love, love that looks deep into a person and is not superficial in any level while Yuvraj while shown being attracted to Sowmya's external beauty was shown saying that love for him was more than just looks, it was about two souls being together.

I would have loved if the creatives had stuck to this basic characterization.

If only they had let Sowmya be the friend she was to Suhani.. While extremely ill-judged, Sowmya was the girl who wanted Suhani to get the love of her life Yuvraj.. While it was the wrong decision, her intention was not bad. She wanted Suhani to be happy, like she was at that time when she married Krishna.

I also understand that her choice of husband was not really smart. It was not well thought out and was made in an impulse. But when Krishna behaved the way he did with her, I felt sorry for her. The story of Sowmya being jealous of Suhani atleast was real at some level.

Here is a girl who rejected the man's love, made him marry her best friend (indirectly) and now she has to see them live happily together, a life she so much dreamed of. Any human would be bitter and a little jealous.

But making her character -ve and totally black is so out of the blue. The girl who started out regretting her impulsive marriage is now shown as a home wrecker only to glorify the 'dark' horse in the story, Suhani..

I would have been more pleased if they had shown Sowmya taking Suhani's help in setting her life right and giving Suhani the support to fit better in her in-laws house.

Sowmya need not go back to Krishna.. All love stories don't end well but at least she could have remained positive, understanding that the love she thought was so important was actually just an attraction. She could have been shown growing into a mature and well intentioned adult, independent and resourceful.

Suhani helping her and Yuvraj falling in love with his wife because she is really his soul mate would have been better to watch.. In the end, all three could have had a laugh about how they were before and how life's surprises changed their perception of things.

I am actually tired of seeing soaps which swing characters to extremes. Suhani, the no-nonsense girl turns into a stubborn idiot at times.
Yuvraj just keeps oscillating and sometimes the continuity is lost. As for Sowmya, her sudden trip into the dark ages and wanting her 'souten' (I mean, what the heck? ) Suhani out is just gross.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

viji2111Parm.clarity

DelusionalMe IF-Sizzlerz
DelusionalMe
DelusionalMe

Posted: 31 December 2014 at 8:15am | IP Logged
why would anyone bash you Sharon. it's your opinion and everyone is bound to have their opinion and we here in this forum repect everyone's POV.
Personally I never gave a thought about the story going this way. I don't like the idea of so called Suraj (if there's any) to be honest. but I surely agree with what you said about a pretty and rich girl being equally
good-natured as a not so pretty
and not so rich girl. I think our TV shows have been following the same line since ages, stereotypes they are. So yeah this show isn't any exception. I personally would also prefer Yuvraj falling in love with Suhani for who she is and not because Soumya has now turned evil. That should it actually be.
ps I don't like Suhani because Soumya has turned grey, I liked her from the very start and only for who she is. Wink

Edited by DelusionalMe - 31 December 2014 at 8:16am

Parm.sandiab

Go to top