Posted: 30 December 2014 at 9:38pm | IP Logged
I actually did a whole write-up on this show, a really long one on the characters, but unfortunately, my mouse accidentally refreshed the page & alas, it was all gone. Sigh. Not gonna write all that again. But some final thoughts..
Hats off to the makers for their consistency with this show, till the very final scene. The pace was consistent, it wasn't rushed neither was it slowed down. That is a big plus point, because shows tend to get very illogical & fast when they are reaching their end. The biggest plus point is that the show stuck to its concept - a mother fighting for her daughter's dreams & that was reflected in the last scene with Mariyam taking Imran's hand & Najma sitting in between them, off to play her match. Such a beautiful, poignant scene with the rest of the Baig family watching on, while Imran/Mariyam/Najma go off to a new world to fulfill their dreams. The dreams that they fought for & believed in.
Not going to re-write an analysis of the characters, but just wanted to pen down some of the things I LOVED about this show & will miss.
1. Imran - DUDE, he has to be the most sincere, dignified, respectable male lead I have seen in ages. You know he is ideal & perfect for any woman, but despite that, there was something so real about him. Despite being drowned in his sorrows with the liquor bottles, the makers very beautifully used Najma/Mariyam to bring him out. Imran/Mariyam/Najma together never went for excursions & neither did they bond strongly enough for us to witness all 3 of them sitting together, carefree & laughing away, there was no exchange of gifts. But yet, he did the best he could for them, by giving Mariyam the courage to fight for her daughter's dream, by supporting Najma & also for having the courage/guts to fight for himself. He was definitely my favourite character in the show. Whoever that wrote his character, hats off. Such beautiful writing.
2. Younis Baig - Yes, he was mean & selfish many times. Whoever that questioned him, be it Najma, Mariyam, Salman Baig or even his children, were right & those questions pricked him, but despite that, the makers did a very beautiful job in making him likeable. He could easily have been the ultimate villain or annoying character of the show, but they did not stereotype him. A harsh & staunch person definitely, but he was a pleasure to watch. He was hilarious in his interactions with Naseema or the children, he showcased double standards many times & he was unreasonable too at times. But at the end of the day, he was very real. If there was a side to him that was selfish, there was also a side that actually did genuinely care for his family. Hats off yet again.
3. Salman Baig - Enough has been said about him. Till the very end, he remained as the protector of Najma & Mariyam. Despite fighting for them, he never neglected the other kids or the other members of the family. He always fought for what is right & remained as the happy Santa Claus of the house
4. Naye Padosi ke Mamu Jaan - AWWW this guy brings a smile to my face. His mimicry, his comic timing & most importantly his loyalty to Imran was just so BEAUTIFUL. No matter how much they fought, he always stood by Imran as a rock. And he was the true cupid for Imran & Mariyam/Najma because he always advocated for them. I really wish we could see him get a beautiful wife who would make him happy. But nonetheless, was happy with the way the makers showed him in the end. As usual, they were very consistent with his characterization. Not only a cupid, he represented a strong force that was always behind the three of them & pushed them forward to their beautiful life ahead.
5. The KIDS - Waqar, Fiza & Saba.
Waqar & Fiza - thank you makers for not making them mean. They were innocent kids & their bonding with Najma & Mariyam was beautiful. Despite the clear line being drawn of Najma/Mariyam being different from them, it never mattered to them. For them Najma lived in the same house & she was their sister. It didn't matter that her father had died, & it didn't matter that their mother disapproved of them. They had their own little world & it was absolutely bliss, aloof from all the real world tensions.
Saba - The mobile phone incident had me really pissed with her & I still hate her for it. But still I will give her credit for doing what she wants, but yet never disrespecting her parents. Even though she acted without their approval, she never crossed her boundaries & neither did she ever bitch about her parents. She respected them & I am glad that the love track between her & Ayan never materialised, even though she deserved her happiness.
This show really did have a soul. The mohalla, the interactions between the people in the neighbourhood looked so real. I completely agree with whoever that said that this show has a very old feel to it. It does. And I liked how they maintained it. Despite being bored with the interactions between the postman (forgot his name) & his wife & mother-in-law, it did give the show a very real feel. And I liked how they concluded their little story as well by supporting Mariyam & Imran. That was a nice touch; showed consistency in the way the makers told the story yet again. I missed Salman Baig's hindu friend who was showed in the initial episodes, but nonetheless, it was nice to see that touch of reality. Shabnam was probably the only annoying character but yet, she was very real in representing how gossip gets around in these small little mohallas.
I really liked the title track of this show & glad that they played it at the end. Beautiful score.
All in all, I really enjoyed this show from the start till the end. This has to be one of the rare shows that I watched till the end & enjoyed. Thank you makers for not dragging it & making it consistent till the very end. Hope that the news of Hasan/Barkha doing another show is true. They really have lovely chemistry, which this show unfortunately could not bring out fully due to the quick ending.
Bye bye everyone!!