Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

The downsides of social media (Page 2)

OJ6.0 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 27 December 2014 at 2:24pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

sunshinegirl7 Senior Member
sunshinegirl7
sunshinegirl7

Posted: 27 December 2014 at 2:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by kabeeraspeaking

Twitter is really great to get realtime information on pretty much anything happening in the world, so I think it's a great resource just for one's own personal browsing or amusement, following people you might think are informative or fun, etc. 

However, if I was an actor...and yeah, it's a great platform to 'connect' with fans and promote your movies and everything, but I don't think it's worth the cons of having a public account for people who are actually here to act

(1) Majority of these people aren't good with social networking anyways. Their tweets aren't entertaining or amusing or informative or anything interesting...it's just a circle of formalities or banal activities...welcoming others on to Twitter, wishing someone a happy birthday, promoting your movie/teams/clubs, once in a while kicking up a fuss or fighting with someone, retweeting what brands you're wearing and so on and so forth. More of them lose than gain fans because of the way they spell or how boring they turn out to be. There are very few people who have probably benefited from the effort of 'connecting with fans' because they end up being revealed as human (ex. blocking people because they can't handle criticism or ignore the abuse) and end up on people's shitlists or becoming a laughing stock.

(2) You become demystified. There is a certain mystery that an actor is better equipped to maintain if they don't have multiple public outlets to reveal themselves on. A lot of them would have probably seemed more sane or well-balanced if they didn't have this medium of communication to reveal their true selves on, and it's good to have at least that neutrality about your personality from the audience. They're more likely to give a fairer chance to watching your movie or judging your performance if they don't have some preconceived ideas or thoughts about you personally. You are also more likely to convince them of the characters you play if your 'real self' isn't so available or obvious for comparison.

(3) After being in front of the camera for a large part of your days, and then promoting your movies in the media for months sometimes, being so busy...wouldn't you want some part of you to remain private and not 'on duty'...especially as an actor or celebrity? I know I would. 

Keeping all that in mind, I think a private account is the way to go if you want to enjoy the perks of Twitter without having to deal with any of its cons. The pros, if any, are almost negligible if you are a solid actor and present yourself well in media...because that itself will garner you a following and connect with your audience, leaving no need for stuff like Twitter. If you aren't a solid actor and need the publicity any which way or if you never read your mentions (hard to do but possible), then maybe it's a viable option.

great post! thats why i made this topic as i couldn't see any real advantage of having twitter if you are a good actor. If the actor makes good movies they don't need to retweet peoples praises on twitter as the movie will speak for itself...e..g. sonam retweeted every single praise she got for khoobsurat even those from non celebrities...alot of the actors seem to do that but it doesnt mean much if the film doesnt do that well at the box office. Then take anushka sharma...she is being bashed for her lips but her film(PK) has gone on to become a blockbuster which wudnt have been possible if she hadn't done a good job in it too with aamir. I suppose social media is jus good for ppl like sachin tendulkar and other legends that don't get bashed n can jus enjoy the benefits of itLOL
cougarTown IF-Rockerz
cougarTown
cougarTown

Posted: 27 December 2014 at 4:52pm | IP Logged
I agree with TM though

any random behind a computer can write any shit, why bother interacting

it only boils your blood

Go to top