India-Forums

Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

The downsides of social media

sunshinegirl7 Senior Member
sunshinegirl7
sunshinegirl7

Posted: 27 December 2014 at 12:22pm | IP Logged

Most of the bollywood stars are on social media (FB, twitter, instragram etc).
Few exceptions: Kareena, katrina, ranbir, saif etc

Pros:
-Instant feedback from Fans
-Fans and Stars can connect
-Stars can promote their films
-Fans can show their love

Cons
-ABUSE (not constructive criticism but plain old abuse)
-Joke accounts like KRK, Parody accounts - just meant for making fun of people
- Famous couples get love and attacked from fans simultaneously 

Just wondering if it is really worth it for the stars to be on social media? I mean some of them get so much abuse, however thick-skinned a star may be but it still surely must be hard to handle at times. 
For the actresses it seems the abuse/criticism is mainly to do with their physical appearance - fat, thin,  lip job, nose job, plastic, botox, ugly etc etc

Fair or not fair??

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

cougarTownScorpio_Velvetruky786glace-bleue

Blackbillgates Senior Member
Blackbillgates
Blackbillgates

Posted: 27 December 2014 at 12:26pm | IP Logged
I'm glad that Kareena is not on Twitter Wink and PC is but she has blocked me Cry
sunshinegirl7
sunshinegirl7

Posted: 27 December 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rumpelstiltskin

I'm glad that Kareena is not on Twitter Wink and PC is but she has blocked me Cry

it's good kareena wouldn't be able to handle it eventho she wouldn't get much criticism apart from her film choices...her saifu might  be attacked more tho if he was on it

lol why did PC block you?
ruky786 IF-Stunnerz
ruky786
ruky786

Posted: 27 December 2014 at 12:31pm | IP Logged
Even if someone says something to you without being offensive, you suddenly get blocked even though you weren't being horrible, some celebs are way too sensitive. Ignore the dislikers/haters/neutral people.
cougarTown IF-Rockerz
cougarTown
cougarTown

Posted: 27 December 2014 at 12:58pm | IP Logged
they already are thick skinned enough since they keep a tab on youtube likes and the comments there are anything but flattering

but still it's good to not be connected

why take so much from random xyz people

live life away from all this

sunshinegirl7
sunshinegirl7

Posted: 27 December 2014 at 1:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by cougarTown

they already are thick skinned enough since they keep a tab on youtube likes and the comments there are anything but flattering

but still it's good to not be connected

why take so much from random xyz people

live life away from all this

Yeah exactly...im surprised some of them didn't leave twitter a long time ago!
maybe they are so thick skinned that it just doesnt affect them anymore or they just don't read all the rubbish online as they are busy. 
Blackbillgates Senior Member
Blackbillgates
Blackbillgates

Posted: 27 December 2014 at 1:06pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sunshinegirl7

Originally posted by Rumpelstiltskin

it's good kareena wouldn't be able to handle it eventho she wouldn't get much criticism apart from her film choices...her saifu might  be attacked more tho if he was on it

lol why did PC block you?

LadyDabang would know betterLOL
kabeeraspeaking IF-Sizzlerz
kabeeraspeaking
kabeeraspeaking

Posted: 27 December 2014 at 2:10pm | IP Logged
Twitter is really great to get realtime information on pretty much anything happening in the world, so I think it's a great resource just for one's own personal browsing or amusement, following people you might think are informative or fun, etc. 

However, if I was an actor...and yeah, it's a great platform to 'connect' with fans and promote your movies and everything, but I don't think it's worth the cons of having a public account for people who are actually here to act

(1) Majority of these people aren't good with social networking anyways. Their tweets aren't entertaining or amusing or informative or anything interesting...it's just a circle of formalities or banal activities...welcoming others on to Twitter, wishing someone a happy birthday, promoting your movie/teams/clubs, once in a while kicking up a fuss or fighting with someone, retweeting what brands you're wearing and so on and so forth. More of them lose than gain fans because of the way they spell or how boring they turn out to be. There are very few people who have probably benefited from the effort of 'connecting with fans' because they end up being revealed as human (ex. blocking people because they can't handle criticism or ignore the abuse) and end up on people's shitlists or becoming a laughing stock.

(2) You become demystified. There is a certain mystery that an actor is better equipped to maintain if they don't have multiple public outlets to reveal themselves on. A lot of them would have probably seemed more sane or well-balanced if they didn't have this medium of communication to reveal their true selves on, and it's good to have at least that neutrality about your personality from the audience. They're more likely to give a fairer chance to watching your movie or judging your performance if they don't have some preconceived ideas or thoughts about you personally. You are also more likely to convince them of the characters you play if your 'real self' isn't so available or obvious for comparison.

(3) After being in front of the camera for a large part of your days, and then promoting your movies in the media for months sometimes, being so busy...wouldn't you want some part of you to remain private and not 'on duty'...especially as an actor or celebrity? I know I would. 

Keeping all that in mind, I think a private account is the way to go if you want to enjoy the perks of Twitter without having to deal with any of its cons. The pros, if any, are almost negligible if you are a solid actor and present yourself well in media...because that itself will garner you a following and connect with your audience, leaving no need for stuff like Twitter. If you aren't a solid actor and need the publicity any which way or if you never read your mentions (hard to do but possible), then maybe it's a viable option.

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

Rangeelaasunshinegirl7fireworkBandwagon-erIAmLuvBolly-iktaara-kitkatahacharismatic-gemlovely_ladytouch_of_pink

Go to top