Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Online v/s Offline Friendship (Page 3)

KaanKeNiche IF-Rockerz

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 3:30am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sillage.

sillage. Goldie
sillage.
sillage.

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 4:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by KaanKeNiche

I'm closer to some of my online friends than most of my real life friends. In real life, you always live in fear of judgment and there's no scope of that online. It allows you to keep your anonymity. Only down-side of it I that the person talking to you on the other side could or could not be the person that they claim to be. But what difference does that make if both of you can have great conversations anyway?

Another downside to online friendship is that it can never be regarded as a 'deep' or life-long friendship. Simply because of the anonymity factor.
Yeah.I feel the same.
But I guess as long as something is appealing to us and makes us happy we let go of other things which may be important in our real lives where we access people by certain standards with each one having his own set of conditions.

KaanKeNiche

sillage. Goldie
sillage.
sillage.

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 4:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

The person on the other side of the screen is not electronic data. It is a real person with feelings and emotions. As such online friendship is no different than real world friendship. Instead of meeting and interacting in college, office or a bar, you meet and interact on a forum. You form bonds based on things you have in common. Some people are acquaintances. Some people are friends. And a rare few become BFFs. 
In the teens you have the high school like behavior of bitching, backstabbing, turn-coating, ganging up, switching parties and all that kind of drama. Sometimes you have that with the immature adults too. Exactly like how it plays out in real life. 

One big difference online is anonymity, something you don't get in real life. It is a double edged sword. It allows you to be cautious, take things slow and avoid revealing more about yourself until you have built rapport. At the same time it also allows people to be reckless and fickle, engaging in behavior they normally wouldn't in real life. It also inhibits the other side from showing their true self sooner too. 

Another difference is proximity. You could make a friend abroad or in another city whom you may never see or visit. That happens in real life too. People travel for work and studies so much. Sometimes people don't see their own family for ages. 

Online friendship can be for real and supercede real world friendship depending on the people involved. 
@bold-Sure,the person on the other end is not an electronic data but we exactly can't know how he/she feels.So yes as you and others have mentioned,anonymity is the key which can be advantageous at many levels and not too favorable at many others.

I was looking for the answers and I've pretty much got them satisfactorily.
Thank you participating.
zorrro IF-Dazzler

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 12:50am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

sillage.

sillage. Goldie
sillage.
sillage.

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 3:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by zorrro

Originally posted by -Crescendo-

anonymity is the key which can be advantageous at many levels and not too favorable at many others.
Agree totally with this and I think this needs to be explored further.
The perils of anonymity is self evident. There are many examples of people who were duped on account of false Identity. I am more interested in knowing how or why anonymity can be advantageous and whether  that is denied in a real life friendship.
Not all online friendship remain anonymous. People often share a lot of true information and get to know each other quite well, perhaps better than you get to know each other in real life. Besides, online friendship does not have to remain restricted to the virtual life as they can talk or meet in real life.
Anonymity allows the person to behave in any way he/she wants to without any fear of being judged,though true friends in real life too don't judge you but again true friends are very rare and scarce.So virtual friendship is preferable in this light.
Anonymity being denied in a real life friendship depends purely on the nature of people sharing it.It just may not be about identities here but about your innermost feelings and thoughts.In that way it can be very well denied which is mostly not the case in virtual friendship as you have to write mostly in this case describing your thoughts as only then one will be able to connect with the other person.

zorrro

QuietlyLoud IF-Rockerz
QuietlyLoud
QuietlyLoud

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 4:58am | IP Logged
Well, it depends on what one mean by and expect from friendship.
If you are looking for someone to spend some spare time with and have fun,social networks are a good place to be.
But if you're looking for a kind of friend whom you can call at 3 am without having a second thought,then I'd say you're at a wrong place.That kind of friendship can't be built over the internet IMO unless you and your friend decide to meet in real life and take your relationship to another level.

Anyone can pretend to be anything over the internet.One could be a guy pretending to be a girl or vice versa and no one would ever know.Another thing is that people often tend to present a more likable version of themselves online,sometimes miles apart from their real selves.This is both the good and the bad side of online friendships.You could be anyone you want to be, which is impossible in real life.It gives them a certain amount of satisfaction,I think.But by doing so,you're deceiving the person at the other end.Who knows,they too might be doing the same with you so at the end of the day,two online friends who have never met in real life is actually being friends with this polished versions of themselves not the people they are in real life.Then there are people who are completely honest over the internet but you can never guarantee that from the other end unless you know them personally.This is the main downside of online friendships.Honesty is lacking.

Social networks are very helpful to keep in touch with the real life friends who are far apart.It keeps such friendships alive.At the same time, one could meet his virtual friend personally to built a more trustworthy relation.A good balance between the real and virtual world works the best in my opinion.

Edited by QuietlyLoud - 08 January 2015 at 4:56am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sillage.zorrro

QuietlyLoud IF-Rockerz
QuietlyLoud
QuietlyLoud

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 5:15am | IP Logged
This topic reminded me of this  LOL

zorrro

sillage. Goldie
sillage.
sillage.

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 5:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by QuietlyLoud

This topic reminded me of this  LOL
Hehe..this was funny.LOL
But I talked in rather narrow sense that is not cheesy stuff about love and attraction but  sorely about friendship.

QuietlyLoud

Go to top