Zindagi Channel

India-Forums

Zindagi Channel
Zindagi Channel

Do You want Dastaan aired on Zindagi TV? (Page 6)

Poll Question: Do u want Dastaan aired on Zindagi TV

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [48.15%]
26 [48.15%]
2 [3.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

SwishCrawley IF-Dazzler
SwishCrawley
SwishCrawley

Posted: 06 January 2015 at 9:35am | IP Logged
I have already seen Daastan on YouTube, and I have no qualms in saying that it is a very well-directed show. The production quality is a few notches higher than that of other Pakistani shows I have seen.  Sanam Baloch is one of my favorite actresses. And don't even get me started on Fawad Khan. LOL

But, yes, I have some reservations about the show. Partition left the imaginations of an entire generation crippled in both India and Pakistan. It's not something that can be discussed without getting into an argument about who did/said what and what-not. 

[Mild Spoiler Alert] 
Please do not read any further if you haven't seen the show, and don't come running after me for ruining it for you. Wink

Pakistanis like our movies( I hope they do), and we are a sucker for their top-notch shows. Daastan may be a specimen of fine writing for Pakistanis, and I certainly do not consider Gadar (mentioned by pk14) as one of our best works. LOL     If anything, the screenplay is jingoistic. 
I feel exactly the same about Daastan, too. Both the countries laud their freedom fighters. And, it is perfectly alright to do so. However, the show jumps the gun to exonerate one community in order to demonize another. There are very few scenes that redeem the portrayal of Sikhs in the latter half of the series. The religious undertones supersede the political debate that dominates the first half. A show like Daastan would have found more resonance with the Indian audience if the show had only highlighted the political context that led to the partition, without meddling the religion bias into it. 

Downloading and watching the show in private is different, and airing it is a different thing altogether. The last thing I wanted to bring here is Pakistan government's decision to ban Raanjhana citing that the premise of the movie( Muslim girl falling in love with a Hindu guy) may rake tensions. Fair decision on their part. Maintaining law and order must always be the priority. For the very same reason, I wouldn't mind the Indian govt. taking a call to ask Zindagi to reconsider its decision. Edited or not-edited, Daastan should not be aired. 

Edited by SwishCrawley - 06 January 2015 at 9:32am

SwishCrawley IF-Dazzler
SwishCrawley
SwishCrawley

Posted: 06 January 2015 at 9:48am | IP Logged
Originally posted by fqsb

Well, recognizing problems within the country, open-mindedly and critically is something Pakistan excels at - from honour killing to underage marriage to using women as pawns in resolving tribal disputes to rape, domestic violence and the issues of transgendered individuals, Pakistani dramas and films have touched upon so many difficult issues and on so much depth.

If you have a bad reaction at my "tone" and demand a special privilege because this is an Indian forum in your eyes (while I see it as a forum for people from all over the world who enjoy a good discussion about dramas and acting) then how does that show openness to other side's point of view? I am simply listing facts which cant be brushed under the carpet, open-mindedness demands giving all sides a fair hearing not shooing people away because you cant engage their views. Nobody here has a monopoly on the truth and dismissing other people's views as "rants" doesnt make them any less worthy.

I protested against negative Indian movies, not ALL Indian films. Thats a very clear distinction that is immediately obvious from my post. Pakistan has received and will continue to receive entertainment from India, Turkey, Mexico, the US and UK etc in our cinemas and on TV and that's no surprise. Its a global age and this is to be expected. Similarly, Indians seek products from all over the world. Doesnt mean we all always agree with the content in all respects but we can sift the good from the bad.

There is a long list of Indian films in which Pakistan has been presented negatively. Border, Gadar, Sarfarosh, Zameen, Agent Vinod, Diljale etc etc. Indian dramas I dont follow so I cant say. My point is clear. You seem very anxious to take a superior stance but self-congratulatory attitudes prevent one from seeing the full truth. The world is far more complex than you make it out to be.

n Pakistani dramas such as Lahasil, Kaanch, Talkhiyaan, Jackson Heights (still going on), Castle... these are just a few Pakistani dramas that come immediately to mind that portray non-Muslim characters in a good, positive, human light. So no, this is by no means a new phenomenon.

So to repeat, I wouldnt recommend Zee Zindagi showing this play because like I said, Indians are just starting to get exposure to Pakistani plays and there is a long time before bitternesses of the past die down completely.

LOL You're funny! 
.FemmeFatale. IF-Sizzlerz
.FemmeFatale.
.FemmeFatale.

Posted: 06 January 2015 at 1:50pm | IP Logged
My answer is clearer now. It shouldnt be aired. Specially with whats happening in the border right now. No.
Its anti-Indian with the specific scenes. Cut them,and every Indian would love it. The tragic love story that is.Its brilliant. 
fqsb Groupbie
fqsb
fqsb

Posted: 06 January 2015 at 2:00pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by SwishCrawley

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">I have already seen Daastan on YouTube, and I have no qualms in saying that it is a very well-directed show. The production quality is a few notches higher than that of other Pakistani shows I have seen. Sanam Baloch is one of my favorite actresses. And don't even get me started on Fawad Khan.LOL

But, yes, I have some reservations about the show. Partition left the imaginations of an entire generation crippled in both India and Pakistan. It's not something that can be discussed without getting into an argument about who did/said what and what-not.

[Mild Spoiler Alert]</font>
<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">Please do not read any further if you haven't seen the show, and don't come running after me for ruining it for you.Wink</font>

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">
Pakistanis like our movies( I hope they do), and we are a sucker for their top-notch shows. Daastan may be a specimen of fine writing for Pakistanis, and I certainly do not consider Gadar (mentioned by pk14) as one of our best works. LOL If anything, the screenplay is jingoistic.
I feel exactly the same about Daastan, too. Both the countries laud their freedom fighters. And, it is perfectly alright to do so. However, the show jumps the gun to exonerate one community in order to demonize another. There are very few scenes that redeem the portrayal of Sikhs in the latter half of the series. The religious undertones supersede the political debate that dominates the first half. A show like Daastan would have found more resonance with the Indian audience if the show had only highlighted the political context that led to the partition, without meddling the religion bias into it.</font>

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">Downloading and watching the show in private is different, and airing it is a different thing altogether.The last thing I wanted to bring here is Pakistan government's decision to ban Raanjhana citing that the premise of the movie(Muslimgirl falling in love with a Hindu guy) may rake tensions. Fair decision on their part. Maintaining law and order must always be the priority. For the very same reason, I wouldn't mind the Indian govt. taking a call to ask Zindagi to reconsider its decision. Edited or not-edited, Daastan should not be aired.</font>

The religious element couldnt have been left out of the show because Muslim religious identity was fundamentally important in driving the movement for Pakistan. The novel addresses it and the show had to as well. I dont think Zindagi should air it because even if they try to present it as just a love story, they cant pull it off. The context is what makes the Hassan-Bano story unique.

And do let me know how I tickled your funny bone.

Edited by fqsb - 06 January 2015 at 1:58pm
.FemmeFatale.
.FemmeFatale.

Posted: 06 January 2015 at 2:09pm | IP Logged
^Sorry to butt in,but I disagree with what u said here.  
As per what u said,Hassan-Bano love story was brilliant,just bcoz Bano was raped and Hassan was ready to accept her?  

That just doesnt sound right. 

So u mean,his love wouldnt have been so great if she wasnt raped by a hindu?

I dont think so. 

Anbd pleas elet me make one thing clear. We see Pakistan as Pakistan,not a country of muslims. But Im afraid,many pakistanis look at Indians as hindus alone. Im sorry to say. Indian Muslims too are very much part of us. So are our christians,parsis,jews,buddhists and every person beloning to other religions, 

Anyway. The point isn't what the story is. 

The point is airing it in primetime in an Indian channel on a daily basis. 

Its a different thing to watch it online. And I very much known ANti-Pakistani shows/films are not aired in pakistani channels. Are they? 

I for one,wanted Dastaan to air,for its sheer brilliance of the love story. But I always said these sticky elements need to be cut. 

If it cant be cut,please dont air it. Coz its bound to create unrest.

And okay,so the religion pov had to  be brought itn coz thats what drove the partition is fine. But derogatory words used for a man who is called the Father of our nation is just not acceptable. 

And for such a show with such statements to be aired,is just unacceptable. 

If someone really wants to watch it,do it online. I did. 

I heard youtube is banned in Pakistan for whatever the issues maybe. But its available in India. So no big deal. If people wanna watch it,do it online. 

Edited by The.Patthaaka. - 06 January 2015 at 2:09pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

SwishCrawleyMallika-E-Bhais

fqsb Groupbie
fqsb
fqsb

Posted: 06 January 2015 at 2:36pm | IP Logged
[QUOTE=The.Patthaaka.] ^Sorry to butt in,but I disagree with what u said here.
As per what u said,Hassan-Bano love story was brilliant,just bcoz Bano was raped and Hassan was ready to accept her?

That just doesnt sound right.

So u mean,his love wouldnt have been so great if she wasnt raped by a hindu?

I dont think so.

Anbd pleas elet me make one thing clear. We see Pakistan as Pakistan,not a country of muslims. But Im afraid,many pakistanis look at Indians as hindus alone. Im sorry to say. Indian Muslims too are very much part of us. So are our christians,parsis,jews,buddhists and every person beloning to other religions,

Anyway. The point isn't what the story is.

The point is airing it in primetime in an Indian channel on a daily basis.

Its a different thing to watch it online. And I very much known ANti-Pakistani shows/films are not aired in pakistani channels. Are they?

I for one,wanted Dastaan to air,for its sheer brilliance of the love story. But I always said these sticky elements need to be cut.

If it cant be cut,please dont air it. Coz its bound to create unrest.

And okay,so the religion pov had to be brought itn coz thats what drove the partition is fine. But derogatory words used for a man who is called the Father of our nation is just not acceptable.

And for such a show with such statements to be aired,is just unacceptable.

If someone really wants to watch it,do it online. I did.

I heard youtube is banned in Pakistan for whatever the issues maybe. But its available in India. So no big deal. If people wanna watch it,do it online.

Huh?!!! Please point out where I said that the only reason the Hassan/Bano story was special was because Bano was raped by a Hindu? (It was by multiple men, by the way). I said the context of partition was what made the story unique. This is undeniable. The two didnt just share affection, they also shared their passionate connection to a cause: the cause of Pakistan. Their grief wasnt just theirs, it was that of an entire age. To deny this is to artificially reduce the show to a weaker version that doesnt do it justice.

Well, you may see Pakistan as just a country and not specifically one of Muslims and you have a right to your vision, we have Hindus, Sikhs and Christians as our people too. Pakistanis are quite aware of India's other religious groups besides Hindus. But its naive to suggest that Muslims have been painlessly integrated into India. The Sachar commission report would beg to disagree. This is a separate debate though and one I'd gladly have if you want. My point here was that there was reason for the religious identity to be highlighted in the play since the creation of Pakistan is directly related to it.

As for your stance that Daastaan shouldnt be aired by Zindagi, I already said pretty clearly that it shouldnt be shown. Youtube is being viewed pretty easily in Pakistan on proxies but Daastaan is available on other websites too so Youtube wont even be required if people in Pak need to re-watch it. People in India can head to Youtube too if they were curious about the show.

Edited by fqsb - 06 January 2015 at 2:35pm
.FemmeFatale.
.FemmeFatale.

Posted: 06 January 2015 at 2:55pm | IP Logged
The religious element couldnt have been left out of the show because Muslim religious identity was fundamentally important in driving the movement for Pakistan.

I meant this line. Thats what I could decipher. Since the show completely focussed on Bano's rape by a hindu. I dont see what else you could have meant by that. And yes,Im very much aware she was raped by a muslim in pakistan too. But that was right at the end. 

And Im sorry,the rapes peaked only AFTER THE PARTITION. not before. So you saying that this was the main reason for partition is absolutely wrong. 

Women were brutally raped on both sides by people of different communities. This was an aftermath. Not what led to the partition. (ofcourse rapes were always happening,even before the british arrived.Im talking about extensive rape cases here which was addressed in Dastaan) And I wouldnt want get into the mud for this, coz I have read about this over and over again. ABout how Jinnah initiated the Muslim league etc and what were his goals at first. Thats not for me to debate. Coz I understand how important Jinnah is for Pakistan.

Similarly you need to understand what Gandhi is to us.

And I strongly disagree with what u said there about our muslims living here,and I speak for my muslim brothers and sisters too,they are very much happy here and I know bcoz most of my friends are muslims. As for what u said about that report,well I can show u reports about hindus suffering in Pakistan too.  Also,India is a secular country. Pakistan isnt,right? Correct me if Im wrong. But Islam is recognised as the nationally accepted religion,right? But its different here. Though the majority is hindu,all have same rights and rules.

And please,let the Muslims here speak for themselves. I believe ur a Pakistani and you speaking for one of us just doesnt make sense. Yes,I repeat,an Indian Muslim is just much an Indian as an Indian Hindu.

Anyway,this isnt an india-pak war here. Our soldiers are putting their lives at risk,so the least we could do,is respect their work. 
fqsb Groupbie
fqsb
fqsb

Posted: 06 January 2015 at 3:14pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by The.Patthaaka.

<font color="#333333">The</font><font color="#ff0000"> religious element</font><font color="#333333"> couldnt have been left out of the show because Muslim religious identity was fundamentally important in driving the movement for Pakistan.</font>

<font color="#333333">I meant this line. Thats what I could decipher. Since the show completely focussed on Bano's rape by a hindu. I dont see what else you could have meant by that. And yes,Im very much aware she was raped by a muslim in pakistan too. But that was right at the end.</font>

<font color="#333333">And Im sorry,the rapes peaked only AFTER THE PARTITION. not before. So you saying that this was the main reason for partition is absolutely wrong.</font>

<font color="#333333">Women were brutally raped on both sides by people of different communities. This was an aftermath. Not what led to the partition. (ofcourse rapes were always happening,even before the british arrived.Im talking about extensive rape cases here which was addressed in Dastaan) And I wouldnt want get into the mud for this, coz I have read about this over and over again. ABout how Jinnah initiated the Muslim league etc and what were his goals at first. Thats not for me to debate. Coz I understand how important Jinnah is for Pakistan.</font>

<font color="#333333">Similarly you need to understand what Gandhi is to us.</font>

<font color="#333333">And I strongly disagree with what u said there about our muslims living here</font>,and I speak for my muslim brothers and sisters too,they are very much happy here and I know bcoz most of my friends are muslims. As for what u said about that report,well I can show u reports about hindus suffering in Pakistan too. Also,India is a secular country. Pakistan isnt,right? Correct me if Im wrong. But Islam is recognised as the nationally accepted religion,right? But its different here. Though the majority is hindu,all have same rights and rules.

And please,let the Muslims here speak for themselves. I believe ur a Pakistani and you speaking for one of us just doesnt make sense. Yes,I repeat,an Indian Muslim is just much an Indian as an Indian Hindu.

Anyway,this isnt an india-pak war here. Our soldiers are putting their lives at risk,so the least we could do,is respect their work.

Ummm, nopes. The line you highlighted is about the struggle for Pakistan which very obviously was based on the Muslim quest for a separate homeland, to deny this would be just plain denial of the facts.And no, I dont think Daastaan is "focused" on Bano's rape hy a Hindu man ( I believe the guy whose child she had was Sikh anyway and that phase was just one part of the drama, not the whole and definitely not the only "focus".

LOL where did I say that rapes were the prime reason for partition? The Muslim movement for Pakistan was the main reason for partition. As for Muslims also committing violence, the show doesnt shy away from this fact. In fact, its quite gutsy in showing how Bano's idealistic nature is outraged that there are so many flaws when she gets to Pak.

I dont understand why you had to emotionally refer to Gandhi as I clearly made no reference to him. You seem to be replying to an imaginary message rather than the one I actually wrote. :)

With all due respect, you or any other individual are in no position to speak for Indian Muslims collectively as a group. Getting so defensive doesnt help. Of course there is discrimination against Hindus in Pak. I can acknowledge that with maturity, Pakistanis mostly have no qualms about Islam being the state religion as that seems natural in a country rooted in Muslim identity. But the white in the Pakistani flag represents the other religious grouos,

Its ludicrous to deny the evidence of serious discrimination on the Indian side too, no matter how emotionally you may do it. Improvement doesnt come from a refusal to address the facts.

Go to top