Zindagi Channel

India-Forums

Zindagi Channel
Zindagi Channel

Do You want Dastaan aired on Zindagi TV? (Page 5)

Poll Question: Do u want Dastaan aired on Zindagi TV

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [48.15%]
26 [48.15%]
2 [3.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Neerjaa IF-Sizzlerz
Neerjaa
Neerjaa

Posted: 03 January 2015 at 6:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by fqsb

Originally posted by nevah_mind

Originally posted by -Amri-

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">I don't think it's a good idea. Especially after how much of goodwill the channel has managed to win with all its shows.</font>

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">I hhow. I am not so narrow-minded to think that there is only one side to the story. That's why it is said that there is no history, there are histories. I am very well aware that both countries have suffered immensely and are still trying to come to terms with this horrifying, tortuous event, which involved human rights violations and retributive genocides on both sides.</font>

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">But sometimes I think- am I really so broad-minded? I do not take offence at the slightest of things, and I am not jingoistic- but there are some things that are soingrained in me that I cannot let go of them- patriotic fervour, for one.</font>

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">And the anti-Gandhi rhetoric being spoken of - that makes me very uncomfortable from the word go. I would probably have to summon a lot of courage before I start watching this series, so that I have the objectivity that it demands.</font>

completely agree. I'm very open minded when it comes to religion (my fiance is a Muslim, and I'm not, so that should pretty much show how I am where religion is concerned. Can it be more open minded than that?) But where it is our (his and mine) country, we have very strong feelings about it.
Both of us couldn't take the anti-India stance in Dastaan. It was hurtful and accusing, as though we were the only ones causing the atrocities and they were the only ones who suffered. The few dialogues in between very clearly and strongly indicated that. So covering it up by a Sikh saving Bano and a Pakistani raping her again in the end, is not good enough as appeasement or a cover up for an Indian viewer, by and large.
I doubt that unless someone is a huge huge huge huge fan of Fawad and Sanam, these issues will be overlooked, unless its edited AND it doesn't drive people to go and watch the original episodes online.

Having said that, I will also quote something that my fiance mentioned. That because its India, we're not only considering airing it, but we're also actually airing it (edited or not) which only we will do because by and large, even when there are protests, there are enough people who voice out opinions in support.
The people who protest are unemployed goondas. They know nothing about Hinduism, which is obvious with their actions. To add to this, we don't have top celebs who have huge fan followings spread these negative things.
I was reading Hamza Ali Abbas' FB page and the hatred he has against India is sickening. If SRK or HR or anyone of that stature made comments like that about Pak, they would have got a lot of flak from the vocal ones, whose voices would have been even louder.
For all the protest about PK, there are people who are shouting right back and telling them to stop being bigoted, narrow minded, blind rogues.

You can see that open practical mind right here, in this forum. So many of us are willing to just look at the story of 2 individuals during a historic event. Which IMO, is extremely big hearted and open minded. But that also doesn't mean that people who don't like it are narrow minded. Yes, people who get physically violent and are offensive in their defense are, but not those who decide that its hurtful and voice that opinion.

With all the references made to the movies/series made in India about partition, it doesn't hold any justification in this regard.
Yes, we have made movies, but Pakistan even banned Veer Zara, for reasons best known to them. Not grudging them, I'm sure they have their reasons.
So what I'm trying to say is that just because we also have stories made on partition, is no justification for us to air/telecast/release their version in their movies.
People who have watched Buniyaad, a soap in the 80's about partition will know that we have also made a TV show, which was a love story set in the time of partition. So beautifully and sensitively made, without throwing mud on anyone's face. There are all kinds of things and feelings out there. We should look at all before we beat ourselves up so much over it.

With all due respect, a Pakistani project has no need to "appease" Indian sensitivities by adding any plotlines or characters and it would be arrogant of anybody to imagine so. There is a long list of virulently anti-Pakistani productions from India and "appeasing" Pakistan wasnt their motivation. Pakistanis have the right to tell their own truth and they have no reason to be apologetic about this.

Your holier than thou stance about India considering airing such a show is amusing when even the Pakistan Zindabad slogan was edited out of Nurpur ki Rani and at the time of the current PK controversy and the constant tenterhooks on which Indian Muslim actors are placed. Pakistanis have received countless Indian films with negative representations about Pakistan without belligerently setting fire to cinemas. Even in a film supposedly centered on love like Veer Zaara, Pakistan was depicted as repressive and backward as the Rani Mukherjee character went around wearing a dupatta on her head 24/7 while in India people were perpetually dancing and singing songs of love while the fields somehow miraculously produced endless bounties. Pakistanis have long learned to roll their eyes at such hypocrisy and move on, Indian films are shown in Pakistani cinemas and TV channels, Indian dramas and shows on TV and because Pakistanis have had exposure to Indian entertainment ever since 1947, we can see Indua as a more multi-faceted reality despite the hostility that may be directed at Pak.

The same is not true of India as this exposure to Pakistani stories and art is very limited in India and has just begun. It will take a long time before the humanity of the Pakistani people is fully understood across the border when so much effort has been invested politically in negative representations. I dont buy the excuse that its only the uneducated who back the anti-PK protests. One look at Twitter and the hatred spewed by plenty of English speaking Indians is enough to dismiss that claim.

As for Hamza Ali Abbassi, he has clearly cautioned people on his Facebook account not to hate Indians or Americans as people because of bad policies by their govts. Its funny how you ignored that. There is a long list of hateful comments, pathetically shameful portrayals of Pakistanis and stereotypical portrayals of Muslims in Indian entertainment. Pakistan hasnt produced even a FRACTION of such negativity and you can take as much time as you want to research that.

Having said all this, I dont think Daastaan should be aired in India. The fact that the solution offered is to butcher the show by removing any dialogues that might offend Indians is itself ironic considering the fact that this is supposed to be proof of the "tolerance" involved. How far will the show be edited when the channel doesnt feel comfortable with the mere words Pakistan Zindabad? Its best to not air it because clearly its only too convenient a target for those who dont want the Pakistani narrative to be given any space.
 Partition was something which left bitterness both sides who were suffered and its the all communities and even then there were many people who saved the other communities who were their neighbors . Should not be generalize the whole community . Dastaan s from Pak point of view . Both sides have their stories to tell . but now people have zero tolerance and just need some excuse to create controversy . I loved Dastaan , as a woman felt her pain and thousands of  others who went through hell . Editing  will kill the essence of the show then why to air the show . Zindgi is the reason we met the common people of across the line and would never like that Zindgi becomes the target . 

Commoners are same here and there with same family values , traditions . Ots the people who can bridge the gap with understanding , love and respect for each other . 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

pk14...Annie...SwishCrawley

nevah_mind Senior Member
nevah_mind
nevah_mind

Posted: 03 January 2015 at 7:53am | IP Logged
Originally posted by fqsb

Originally posted by nevah_mind

Originally posted by -Amri-

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">I don't think it's a good idea. Especially after how much of goodwill the channel has managed to win with all its shows.</font>

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">I hhow. I am not so narrow-minded to think that there is only one side to the story. That's why it is said that there is no history, there are histories. I am very well aware that both countries have suffered immensely and are still trying to come to terms with this horrifying, tortuous event, which involved human rights violations and retributive genocides on both sides.</font>

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">But sometimes I think- am I really so broad-minded? I do not take offence at the slightest of things, and I am not jingoistic- but there are some things that are soingrained in me that I cannot let go of them- patriotic fervour, for one.</font>

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">And the anti-Gandhi rhetoric being spoken of - that makes me very uncomfortable from the word go. I would probably have to summon a lot of courage before I start watching this series, so that I have the objectivity that it demands.</font>

completely agree. I'm very open minded when it comes to religion (my fiance is a Muslim, and I'm not, so that should pretty much show how I am where religion is concerned. Can it be more open minded than that?) But where it is our (his and mine) country, we have very strong feelings about it.
Both of us couldn't take the anti-India stance in Dastaan. It was hurtful and accusing, as though we were the only ones causing the atrocities and they were the only ones who suffered. The few dialogues in between very clearly and strongly indicated that. So covering it up by a Sikh saving Bano and a Pakistani raping her again in the end, is not good enough as appeasement or a cover up for an Indian viewer, by and large.
I doubt that unless someone is a huge huge huge huge fan of Fawad and Sanam, these issues will be overlooked, unless its edited AND it doesn't drive people to go and watch the original episodes online.

Having said that, I will also quote something that my fiance mentioned. That because its India, we're not only considering airing it, but we're also actually airing it (edited or not) which only we will do because by and large, even when there are protests, there are enough people who voice out opinions in support.
The people who protest are unemployed goondas. They know nothing about Hinduism, which is obvious with their actions. To add to this, we don't have top celebs who have huge fan followings spread these negative things.
I was reading Hamza Ali Abbas' FB page and the hatred he has against India is sickening. If SRK or HR or anyone of that stature made comments like that about Pak, they would have got a lot of flak from the vocal ones, whose voices would have been even louder.
For all the protest about PK, there are people who are shouting right back and telling them to stop being bigoted, narrow minded, blind rogues.

You can see that open practical mind right here, in this forum. So many of us are willing to just look at the story of 2 individuals during a historic event. Which IMO, is extremely big hearted and open minded. But that also doesn't mean that people who don't like it are narrow minded. Yes, people who get physically violent and are offensive in their defense are, but not those who decide that its hurtful and voice that opinion.

With all the references made to the movies/series made in India about partition, it doesn't hold any justification in this regard.
Yes, we have made movies, but Pakistan even banned Veer Zara, for reasons best known to them. Not grudging them, I'm sure they have their reasons.
So what I'm trying to say is that just because we also have stories made on partition, is no justification for us to air/telecast/release their version in their movies.
People who have watched Buniyaad, a soap in the 80's about partition will know that we have also made a TV show, which was a love story set in the time of partition. So beautifully and sensitively made, without throwing mud on anyone's face. There are all kinds of things and feelings out there. We should look at all before we beat ourselves up so much over it.

With all due respect, a Pakistani project has no need to "appease" Indian sensitivities by adding any plotlines or characters and it would be arrogant of anybody to imagine so. There is a long list of virulently anti-Pakistani productions from India and "appeasing" Pakistan wasnt their motivation. Pakistanis have the right to tell their own truth and they have no reason to be apologetic about this.
Typical case of not getting the point. Of course you have a right to tell your story, but if your makers are okay with an edit, and change in name of your story for another market, how does it become "apologetic"?Shocked
You have missed the whole point in the discussion, and I really don't want to engage with someone who has a tone like yours, which doesn't see another's point of view  at all.

Your holier than thou stance about India considering airing such a show is amusing when even the Pakistan Zindabad slogan was edited out of Nurpur ki Rani and at the time of the current PK controversy and the constant tenterhooks on which Indian Muslim actors are placed. 

Your words are offensive, and I will say it again that I will not engage with people who are here only to justify their stance without giving the other side a chance.
Not once have I voiced my opinions, without giving due regard to the other side and since you cannot reciprocate the same, you should find yourself another site, definitely not one called INDIA forums for your rants.

Pakistanis have received countless Indian films with negative representations about Pakistan without belligerently setting fire to cinemas. Even in a film supposedly centered on love like Veer Zaara, Pakistan was depicted as repressive and backward as the Rani Mukherjee character went around wearing a dupatta on her head 24/7 while in India people were perpetually dancing and singing songs of love while the fields somehow miraculously produced endless bounties. Pakistanis have long learned to roll their eyes at such hypocrisy and move on, Indian films are shown in Pakistani cinemas and TV channels, Indian dramas and shows on TV and because Pakistanis have had exposure to Indian entertainment ever since 1947, we can see Indua as a more multi-faceted reality despite the hostility that may be directed at Pak.

By all means boycott, ban or whatever you want to do with our movies.  Please don't "receive" our movies. Believe you me, our movies are made with us in mind and not you or any other country. No one is doing us any favour by watching our "repressive, hypocritic stories or movies.

I truly wonder that with an attitude and outlook like that for our movies, why you have made an account on this site! Rhetorical question. Don't bother to answer.

The same is not true of India as this exposure to Pakistani stories and art is very limited in India and has just begun. It will take a long time before the humanity of the Pakistani people is fully understood across the border when so much effort has been invested politically in negative representations. I dont buy the excuse that its only the uneducated who back the anti-PK protests. One look at Twitter and the hatred spewed by plenty of English speaking Indians is enough to dismiss that claim.

As for Hamza Ali Abbassi, he has clearly cautioned people on his Facebook account not to hate Indians or Americans as people because of bad policies by their govts. Its funny how you ignored that. There is a long list of hateful comments, pathetically shameful portrayals of Pakistanis and stereotypical portrayals of Muslims in Indian entertainment. Pakistan hasnt produced even a FRACTION of such negativity and you can take as much time as you want to research that. 

Food for thought. I'd like your research to tell me how many of your tv shows even show non-Muslims in your day to day lives.
I don't know what you watch, but all the stories I remember showing INDIAN Muslim, show them in very very good light. Lakshya, K3G, KKHH, only to name a few...

P.S. Edited to add: don't bother to respond to my "food for thought"... Am not looking for answers from you. I pretty much get the larger picture 

Seems like you follow hatred and stuff, because that's all you can see.  There is hatred everywhere, but I look at positivity. Yet another reason, I don't want to discuss this with you.

Having said all this, I dont think Daastaan should be aired in India. The fact that the solution offered is to butcher the show by removing any dialogues that might offend Indians is itself ironic considering the fact that this is supposed to be proof of the "tolerance" involved. How far will the show be edited when the channel doesnt feel comfortable with the mere words Pakistan Zindabad? Its best to not air it because clearly its only too convenient a target for those who dont want the Pakistani narrative to be given any space.

We were discussing this issue here. This is a "discussion" Not a thread for "one man up-ship" or sarcasm or rants to derail it.
Sorry, we're going back on track now.
Have a great day!

To all the other members discussing this. Its really nice to see a healthy discussion. Makes me proud to be an Indian that I have so many fellow citizens who can see beyond issues that other fellow citizens can't. Its a great thing to be read different points of view and have regard and respect for the same.  
I really like how so many of us here, love Dastaan for the story, and can keep other sentiments out of it and are able to freely voice their opinions. Don't know too many other nationalities who will be able to do this! WTG!Clap

Edited by nevah_mind - 03 January 2015 at 8:35am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

SwishCrawleyriti4u

fqsb Groupbie
fqsb
fqsb

Posted: 03 January 2015 at 9:26am | IP Logged
Well, recognizing problems within the country, open-mindedly and critically is something Pakistan excels at - from honour killing to underage marriage to using women as pawns in resolving tribal disputes to rape, domestic violence and the issues of transgendered individuals, Pakistani dramas and films have touched upon so many difficult issues and on so much depth.

If you have a bad reaction at my "tone" and demand a special privilege because this is an Indian forum in your eyes (while I see it as a forum for people from all over the world who enjoy a good discussion about dramas and acting) then how does that show openness to other side's point of view? I am simply listing facts which cant be brushed under the carpet, open-mindedness demands giving all sides a fair hearing not shooing people away because you cant engage their views. Nobody here has a monopoly on the truth and dismissing other people's views as "rants" doesnt make them any less worthy.

I protested against negative Indian movies, not ALL Indian films. Thats a very clear distinction that is immediately obvious from my post. Pakistan has received and will continue to receive entertainment from India, Turkey, Mexico, the US and UK etc in our cinemas and on TV and that's no surprise. Its a global age and this is to be expected. Similarly, Indians seek products from all over the world. Doesnt mean we all always agree with the content in all respects but we can sift the good from the bad.

There is a long list of Indian films in which Pakistan has been presented negatively. Border, Gadar, Sarfarosh, Zameen, Agent Vinod, Diljale etc etc. Indian dramas I dont follow so I cant say. My point is clear. You seem very anxious to take a superior stance but self-congratulatory attitudes prevent one from seeing the full truth. The world is far more complex than you make it out to be.

n Pakistani dramas such as Lahasil, Kaanch, Talkhiyaan, Jackson Heights (still going on), Castle... these are just a few Pakistani dramas that come immediately to mind that portray non-Muslim characters in a good, positive, human light. So no, this is by no means a new phenomenon.

So to repeat, I wouldnt recommend Zee Zindagi showing this play because like I said, Indians are just starting to get exposure to Pakistani plays and there is a long time before bitternesses of the past die down completely.

Edited by fqsb - 03 January 2015 at 9:35am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

pk14

kasaf_ZGH Goldie
kasaf_ZGH
kasaf_ZGH

Posted: 03 January 2015 at 10:50am | IP Logged
there are different perspective among pakistani people about partition. In India we read & seen many movies on partition. It will be interesting for us to watch Pakistan's perspective about partition. Whatever happened in past cannot be changed. But I am really interested to know their views. 
pk14 Senior Member
pk14
pk14

Posted: 03 January 2015 at 10:57am | IP Logged
after reading some comments i would say it shouldn't b onaired . The reason is same like other said that we have been exposed to indian content for too long . We watched thier dramas and we have been watching films since partition . A drama which can incite even 2 % of hatred among ppl . Then they shouldnt air it . You guys wouldnt belive it . But i watched gaddar with my family . And we enjoyed it , Apart from the fact that in that movie they degraded pakistanis and mentality of a father whose daughter married to sikh . But i wasn't offended because i knew its from the other side . And they will show what they feel about us. Its their movie . They have every right to do what ever they want . But the song '' udh ja kalay kawan '' and other '' may nikla gaddi lay k '' were a huge hit . Same goes for us . What we feel or what we beleive as a society we will depict it in our content . And dastaan is not anything ordinary . It has been written by one of the bestest urdu writers of the century ''Razia Butt '' .  
Point is is no one is right . Its all about perceptions . Those who fought for pakistan . We will consider them our heroes and may b they will b consider villans to u . Vice versa those who fought for india will b your heroes and villans for us .
As far as Dastan content is considered .Yes there are few dialogues that can incite huge reaction from indian viewers . So better not to b aired . But even i will b glad enough to tell . Even the novelist kept that in mind and she has shown weaknes of paksitanis too . Bano was not only raped by a sikh but she was being opperessed by his fellow pakistanis too . And this one thing i would say shows the side that pakistanis dont consider them the truthful nation at all . We showthe worst issues we have in pakistan in our dramas . We never hide our weakneses . As a pakistani drama viewer i have seen each drama gives us lesson . it lifts society issue . Specially the issues of women . 
Again i dont want it to b aired . As pakistanis its very near to our hearts .If it doesnt bring india and pakistan close then zindagi shouldnt do it . 

riti4u

Neerjaa IF-Sizzlerz
Neerjaa
Neerjaa

Posted: 03 January 2015 at 11:16am | IP Logged

Problem is we have haters in  every community who do not actually belong to any religion ,have mob mentality . As i have said  earlier that i have seen Dastaan and not for a moment this community thing came to my mind . Its made very well where if someone tarnished Bano,s reputation and the same time the person from the same community helped her . Its  just that we have good and bad people every where . Dastaan needs to be seen with being unbiased , with open mind . Already so much discussion has been done on this topic . I personally will never like this show to be aired with edited version . Its history and can not be erased . Its high time we should be treading carefully where tjis show is concerned . Editing or erasing some lines will kill the soul of the show . 

Edited by Neerjaa - 04 January 2015 at 6:55am

...Annie...

Neerjaa IF-Sizzlerz
Neerjaa
Neerjaa

Posted: 04 January 2015 at 7:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by pk14

after reading some comments i would say it shouldn't b onaired . The reason is same like other said that we have been exposed to indian content for too long . We watched thier dramas and we have been watching films since partition . A drama which can incite even 2 % of hatred among ppl . Then they shouldnt air it . You guys wouldnt belive it . But i watched gaddar with my family . And we enjoyed it , Apart from the fact that in that movie they degraded pakistanis and mentality of a father whose daughter married to sikh . But i wasn't offended because i knew its from the other side . And they will show what they feel about us. Its their movie . They have every right to do what ever they want . But the song '' udh ja kalay kawan '' and other '' may nikla gaddi lay k '' were a huge hit . Same goes for us . What we feel or what we beleive as a society we will depict it in our content . And dastaan is not anything ordinary . It has been written by one of the bestest urdu writers of the century ''Razia Butt '' .  
Point is is no one is right . Its all about perceptions . Those who fought for pakistan . We will consider them our heroes and may b they will b consider villans to u . Vice versa those who fought for india will b your heroes and villans for us .
As far as Dastan content is considered .Yes there are few dialogues that can incite huge reaction from indian viewers . So better not to b aired . But even i will b glad enough to tell . Even the novelist kept that in mind and she has shown weaknes of paksitanis too . Bano was not only raped by a sikh but she was being opperessed by his fellow pakistanis too . And this one thing i would say shows the side that pakistanis dont consider them the truthful nation at all . We showthe worst issues we have in pakistan in our dramas . We never hide our weakneses . As a pakistani drama viewer i have seen each drama gives us lesson . it lifts society issue . Specially the issues of women . 
Again i dont want it to b aired . As pakistanis its very near to our hearts .If it doesnt bring india and pakistan close then zindagi shouldnt do it . 

I won't agree with your this point , fight with Britisher was fought together , it was not agenda of community its was as a whole . And we should be respecting each of the person who fought for ideology that time . That time none of these great people would have thought what will be the picture of todays . So do not go deep in to history ,that time people have values and today those values have disappeared . Keep politics and art separate , only art in any form whether music , acting , painting  can bring people closer . 

fqsb Groupbie
fqsb
fqsb

Posted: 04 January 2015 at 9:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Neerjaa

Originally posted by pk14

</div>

I won't agree with your this point , fight with Britisher was fought together , it was not agenda of community its was as a whole . And we should be respecting each of the person who fought for ideology that time . That time none of these great people would have thought what will be the picture of todays . So do not go deep in to history ,that time people have values and today those values have disappeared . Keep politics and art separate , only art in any form whether music , acting , painting can bring people closer .
<div>

I agree with you that good art can have wide appeal but the fight against the British was not entirely unified. In fact, the formation of the Muslim League in 1906 was precisely because the Muslim community felt that it needed to fight to protect its own interests. That doesnt mean that there was no co-operation at any point but the trajectories and priorities were defined separately by each group.

Anyways, the nature of community is complex. We are all parts of our families and nations but also of communities based on shared interests whether that be your favourite dramas or favourite music or favourite sport. Here, we are all a community of tv junkies/ couch potatoes. Big smile

Go to top