Zindagi Channel

India-Forums

Zindagi Channel
Zindagi Channel

Do You want Dastaan aired on Zindagi TV? (Page 3)

Poll Question: Do u want Dastaan aired on Zindagi TV

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [48.15%]
26 [48.15%]
2 [3.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

AnkitaKaran IF-Rockerz
AnkitaKaran
AnkitaKaran

Posted: 30 December 2014 at 4:02am | IP Logged
No for me ..I hav watched it on online..Its a very nice drama..

..Amri.. IF-Sizzlerz
..Amri..
..Amri..

Posted: 30 December 2014 at 12:34pm | IP Logged
I don't think it's a good idea. Especially after how much of goodwill the channel has managed to win with all its shows.

I have not watched the show. I am not so narrow-minded to think that there is only one side to the story. That's why it is said that there is no history, there are histories. I am very well aware that both countries have suffered immensely and are still trying to come to terms with this horrifying, tortuous event, which involved human rights violations and retributive genocides on both sides. 

But sometimes I think- am I really so broad-minded? I do not take offence at the slightest of things, and I am not jingoistic- but there are some things that are so ingrained in me that I cannot let go of them- patriotic fervour, for one.

And the anti-Gandhi rhetoric being spoken of - that makes me very uncomfortable from the word go. I would probably have to summon a lot of courage before I start watching this series, so that I have the objectivity that it demands. 

Edited by -Amri- - 30 December 2014 at 12:34pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

nevah_mindSwishCrawleypinkeye

..Amri.. IF-Sizzlerz
..Amri..
..Amri..

Posted: 30 December 2014 at 12:39pm | IP Logged
As of now, I think the channel is treading a tightrope walk. I only hope that this move doesn't get it banned.Ouch

I am hopelessly addicted to these shows, their subtlety and realism. It'd be sad if my choice were once again restricted to the never ending dhoom tana BG's, bahu tumhari itni himmat!!! and damsels in distress rescued by their grey-hued knight in shining armours. 

Edited by -Amri- - 30 December 2014 at 12:40pm

RaatriSwishCrawleyNeerjaa

blossom_loving Goldie
blossom_loving
blossom_loving

Posted: 30 December 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged
no I don't think its gud idea to air dastaan
nevah_mind Senior Member
nevah_mind
nevah_mind

Posted: 30 December 2014 at 9:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Amri-

I don't think it's a good idea. Especially after how much of goodwill the channel has managed to win with all its shows.

I have not watched the show. I am not so narrow-minded to think that there is only one side to the story. That's why it is said that there is no history, there are histories. I am very well aware that both countries have suffered immensely and are still trying to come to terms with this horrifying, tortuous event, which involved human rights violations and retributive genocides on both sides. 

But sometimes I think- am I really so broad-minded? I do not take offence at the slightest of things, and I am not jingoistic- but there are some things that are so ingrained in me that I cannot let go of them- patriotic fervour, for one.

And the anti-Gandhi rhetoric being spoken of - that makes me very uncomfortable from the word go. I would probably have to summon a lot of courage before I start watching this series, so that I have the objectivity that it demands. 

completely agree. I'm very open minded when it comes to religion (my fiance is a Muslim, and I'm not, so that should pretty much show how I am where religion is concerned. Can it be more open minded than that?) But where it is our (his and mine) country,  we have very strong feelings about it.
Both of us couldn't take the anti-India stance in Dastaan. It was hurtful and accusing, as though we were the only ones causing the atrocities and they were the only ones who suffered. The few dialogues in between very clearly and strongly indicated that. So covering it up by a Sikh saving Bano and a Pakistani raping her again in the end, is not good enough as appeasement or a cover up for an Indian viewer, by and large.
I doubt that unless someone is a huge huge huge huge fan of Fawad and Sanam, these issues will be overlooked, unless its edited AND it doesn't drive people to go and watch the original episodes online.

Having said that, I will also quote something that my fiance mentioned. That because its India, we're not only considering airing it, but we're also actually airing it (edited or not) which only we will do because by and large, even when there are protests, there are enough people who voice out opinions in support.
The people who protest are unemployed goondas. They know nothing about Hinduism, which is obvious with their actions. To add to this, we don't have top celebs who have huge fan followings spread these negative things.
I was reading Hamza Ali Abbas' FB page and the hatred he has against India is sickening. If SRK or HR or anyone of that stature made comments like that about Pak, they would have got a lot of flak from the vocal ones, whose voices would have been even louder.
For all the protest about PK, there are people who are shouting right back and telling them to stop being bigoted, narrow minded, blind rogues.

You can see that open practical mind right here, in this forum. So many of us are willing to just look at the story of 2 individuals during a historic event. Which IMO, is extremely big hearted and open minded. But that also doesn't mean that people who don't like it are narrow minded. Yes, people who get physically violent and are offensive in their defense are, but not those who decide that its hurtful and voice that opinion.

With all the references made to the movies/series made in India about partition, it doesn't hold any justification in this regard.
Yes, we have made movies, but Pakistan even banned Veer Zara, for reasons best known to them. Not grudging them, I'm sure they have their reasons.
So what I'm trying to say is that just because we also have stories made on partition, is no justification for us to air/telecast/release their version in their movies. 
People who have watched Buniyaad, a soap in the 80's about partition will know that we have also made a TV show, which was a love story set in the time of partition. So beautifully and sensitively made, without throwing mud on anyone's face. There are all kinds of things and feelings out there. We should look at all before we beat ourselves up so much over it.

.SoulMates.SwishCrawley..Amri..

sillage. Goldie
sillage.
sillage.

Posted: 31 December 2014 at 3:36am | IP Logged
Originally posted by nevah_mind

completely agree. I'm very open minded when it comes to religion (my fiance is a Muslim, and I'm not, so that should pretty much show how I am where religion is concerned. Can it be more open minded than that?) But where it is our (his and mine) country,  we have very strong feelings about it.
Both of us couldn't take the anti-India stance in Dastaan. It was hurtful and accusing, as though we were the only ones causing the atrocities and they were the only ones who suffered. The few dialogues in between very clearly and strongly indicated that. So covering it up by a Sikh saving Bano and a Pakistani raping her again in the end, is not good enough as appeasement or a cover up for an Indian viewer, by and large.
I doubt that unless someone is a huge huge huge huge fan of Fawad and Sanam, these issues will be overlooked, unless its edited AND it doesn't drive people to go and watch the original episodes online.

Having said that, I will also quote something that my fiance mentioned. That because its India, we're not only considering airing it, but we're also actually airing it (edited or not) which only we will do because by and large, even when there are protests, there are enough people who voice out opinions in support.
The people who protest are unemployed goondas. They know nothing about Hinduism, which is obvious with their actions. To add to this, we don't have top celebs who have huge fan followings spread these negative things.
I was reading Hamza Ali Abbas' FB page and the hatred he has against India is sickening. If SRK or HR or anyone of that stature made comments like that about Pak, they would have got a lot of flak from the vocal ones, whose voices would have been even louder.
For all the protest about PK, there are people who are shouting right back and telling them to stop being bigoted, narrow minded, blind rogues.

You can see that open practical mind right here, in this forum. So many of us are willing to just look at the story of 2 individuals during a historic event. Which IMO, is extremely big hearted and open minded. But that also doesn't mean that people who don't like it are narrow minded. Yes, people who get physically violent and are offensive in their defense are, but not those who decide that its hurtful and voice that opinion.

With all the references made to the movies/series made in India about partition, it doesn't hold any justification in this regard.
Yes, we have made movies, but Pakistan even banned Veer Zara, for reasons best known to them. Not grudging them, I'm sure they have their reasons.
So what I'm trying to say is that just because we also have stories made on partition, is no justification for us to air/telecast/release their version in their movies. 
People who have watched Buniyaad, a soap in the 80's about partition will know that we have also made a TV show, which was a love story set in the time of partition. So beautifully and sensitively made, without throwing mud on anyone's face. There are all kinds of things and feelings out there. We should look at all before we beat ourselves up so much over it.

Okk..I read all of this and mostly agree with you.Since I haven't watched Dastaan so I don't know about the level offense we could take as Indians.
But if they would edit it out,how would it be a problem then?
Raatri Goldie
Raatri
Raatri

Posted: 31 December 2014 at 4:38am | IP Logged
..my answer is yes...
i saw only 1-2 episode online...and i was senseless...for the leads and thier act!
...yes...story is bold...and is abt partition...and i feel the issue holds trauma nd sufferings for both sides of people...if we can see and discuss our side and make films from our pnt of view...then we should also be ready to understand and feel their side of story...and dastaan could be one such view...

lastly if the issues and pains of people is more or less same...then it doest matter from whose POV  i m watching... india or pak bcoz i will be seeing it form PEOPLES AND THEIR SITUATION POV!
nevah_mind Senior Member
nevah_mind
nevah_mind

Posted: 31 December 2014 at 5:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Crescendo-

Okk..I read all of this and mostly agree with you.Since I haven't watched Dastaan so I don't know about the level offense we could take as Indians.
But if they would edit it out,how would it be a problem then?

I'm pretty sure they WILL edit it out. So that should not be a problem unless, like I said, it drives someone to watch it again online, and they see the original version of it. There is no dearth of people who want to create trouble, so there might be a few hiccups and controversies. But nothing that will not die down and move on ahead.Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sillage.

Go to top