India-Forums

Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan
Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan

Cupid and Psyche (Page 6)

SunoNa... IF-Sizzlerz
SunoNa...
SunoNa...

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 11:54am | IP Logged
Doc this be amazing Heart..  Cupid and Psyche, overcoming obstacles between soul and desire and finally their union ..
I am going to bookmark this and read again..

I absolutely love Manik's character, he is so layered and complex, he is such a interesting topic to discuss. LOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

AyaNi.CabIniSexpot

zohasad2.0 IF-Sizzlerz
zohasad2.0
zohasad2.0

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 11:57am | IP Logged
@Doc

only coz what u wrote was beautiful I could come p with this

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

AyaNi.CabIniSexpotcharminggenie

charminggenie IF-Stunnerz
charminggenie
charminggenie

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 12:18pm | IP Logged
@BI - Did you not knock it out of the park with moral anchor vs emotional anchor. 

Sigh we need to talk about it more na! 

Manik always shifted his morality on Dhruv- was it out of guilt or because it was easier to hide it and not let it out especially when his brain was being programmed by give and take philosophy. He felt it safer to store all his goodness in Dhruv, because he thought his world was too dark for it to survive? Dhruv became the moral superego because of the saving act, the epitome of selflessness for Manik. 
Is this why Manik is ever willing to risk his life for his friends, because in his head he anyway owes it to them, especially Dhruv ?

So when he saw Nandini admiring Dhruv, he was angry/upset because her appreciation was also  for his moral compass . Somebody so full of light, so courageous was shining for his moral compass - a part of who Manik really is ? He for once wanted her to see him, cross the invicible barrier he so seamlessly has created. 

She once told him that she convinced Dhruv to go back to him because she understands how important that bond is for them. She included him too, that snapped something right? Then she straight up demanded morality in his actions- the unfairness argument , the trust , him saving her- she forced him to face his own morality. The more he pulled away, her reaction made him to change, shed the inhibition and accept himself. 

Projecting his goodness on Dhruv , the need to be bad is his constant , but Nandini is the change.  Hence the struggle . 

Sigh- BI, lets have an affair too? 

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

sukshSexpotBoxedInEXOLzohasad2.0

Sexpot Goldie
Sexpot
Sexpot

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 12:21pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by BoxedIn

Doc! This post took me right back to all those Freud-Jung classes I so badly wanted to bunk during college but never could because they were so crazy good. And you actually used citations! No wonder everyone I know is in love with you. 

I actually think the best way to look at these kids is to study their group dynamics. Fab-5 is a very interesting outfit because even though they all look similar on the surface, dig deep and you'll find all shades of the rainbow in here, resentment/absence of one or more parental figures being a common factor. And Nandini, the girl who saw her own parents die in front of her eyes, who nurses a bitter hatred of the shining stars which the rest of the world finds so pretty, she bursts into their fiercely-protected cocoon and shakes it up. Then you brought up the Eros/Psyche story, it is the Classical Beauty & the Beast in a way, but so much more too. Everyone has already explained the Nandini's place in his life so well, as well as his parental disappointments, I'll just talk about the other thing which has always intrigued me about Manik.

We were talking about ManRuv a few days back, and so I went back to my favourite one, and you here have quoted the exact lines which have always got me.
"I'm not good, I like to be bad." 
And doesn't that 'like to be' tell us so much about Manik? Self-awareness. It exists in him. The only thing Manik has never been honest to Dhruv about is Nandini. As for the rest of himself, it was always Dhruv who acted as the sounding-board for him. Dhruv was this mostly silent, 'always on the right side' guy on whom Manik projected his 'goodness'- I'd say Dhruv was his superego, in that sense. The guy he depended upon to keep it 'covered', to keep him and his friends from crossing that ultimate line from which Manik knows there would be no going back. Which is why the Dhruv-Nandini connection put him completely off-kilter. It was not merely friendship vs love for him. How do you begin to choose between your moral anchor and your emotional anchor? Because Nandini had become the second one for him, she is still that. His Ego, as you so aptly put it.
When he fought with Dhruv, he took it out on his guitar, an extension of himself. But when he fights with Nandini, he storms at her until he is able to process her words. One is a constant in his life, the other the change that he needs in order to reach a calmer, more secure, phase in his life. He has passed his first test with the inferiority complex/guilt/apology phase he went through after she punched him in that jungle. Now's the second. A new kind of self-awareness, where he'll have to see her feelings in order to express his own. Put her first, in order to deal with his own reality. If the writers do this properly, it should be an epic story. 

Will do the rest of the Fab-5 sometime later. It's strange how I wrote so much about Manik today, I almost never do. Your post is beauty, Doc. Thank you for pushing me out of my Gadha-zone and making me really think about this guy after so long. Hug

Boxy I love it when you girls write stuff,I feel a sense of belonging.
I really want to give you a hug. Dhruv as superego is a brilliant reference. Dhruv saved his life and hence Manik makes him perfect just like the super ego. Dhruv can do no wrong, his love is pure just like super ego. I'm so happy you brought that up. The tenor of their friendship has been Id and super ego till Nandu entered. She formed a link ...the grasp is impeccable boxy. So proud.
I like how Id,ego and super ego are structural models of Psyche and of course the actual cupid psyche story...the structure of that is the conflict,the desire,desirability,the link...

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

sukshBoxedInEXOLzohasad2.0charminggenie

mary78613 IF-Sizzlerz
mary78613
mary78613

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 12:28pm | IP Logged
Very well put! Clap
If I hadn't studied psychology i wouldn't have understood it LOL
But yes, parental neglect can cause a lot of psychological issues. Manik has some really immature defense mechanism. Somewhere deep inside he feels that maybe love is just not meant for him. He felt loved and found himself truly to be falling for someone when he met Nandini and when nandini started loving him but since Nandini rejected him his ego has again come into play. Manik has a BIG BIG ego.. LOL
BoxedIn IF-Dazzler
BoxedIn
BoxedIn

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 12:47pm | IP Logged
@Genie: I don't think Manik ever consciously thought about projecting his goodness as such. Before Nandini came and pointed it out to him, he just pushed it away, because goodness must have seemed a weakness to him. Selflessness would have been completely out of place in his world of give-and-take, but his idealistic young heart wished for it anyway, and when he found it in Dhruv, he protected the guy so fiercely. I mean, Dhruv's very name is such a giveaway- both a star, and a constant. For Manik, it was simple- Dhruv was good, hence he must do the good act of being fair, saving people etc. 
I love you for bringing up that cafe argument where Nandini told him she had been trying to patch him up with Dhruv. I think before that he had felt somewhere that she was a threat to his friendship with Dhruv somehow. With that statement of hers, Nandini's  threat went away, but her words began to get to him. Combined with the physical attraction, she became impossible to ignore. There are so many shades to what he feels for her, it's rather difficult to describe. Again, I don't think he consciously internalises what she says. She pushes him into places he does not want to be in, but he'll go anyway because he wants to, he likes the thrill, the challenge she presents. He's impulsive at his core and that's what he's been following for so long. Right now he's learnt that about himself, how it can go so dreadfully wrong too. But he needs some more help to finally find that balance, the thehrav, as they say. 

As for the rest of his friends, Fab-5 is his family, as he keeps saying. It is also his escape from his own dark world, it is where he belongs, where he is accepted in all his authority without question. And in his self-destructive head, this must be the price that he thinks he must be willing to pay if called upon to do so. Give-and-take, again. Noyonika has really taught him well.

Also, I'd have an affair with you in a jiffy. But I'm queue-phobic and a wallflower to boot, so we'll just have to make do with these stolen moments, okay? Embarrassed

@Doc: I love you. Bas. 

Edited by BoxedIn - 24 December 2014 at 12:55pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Sexpotzohasad2.0charminggenie

BoxedIn IF-Dazzler
BoxedIn
BoxedIn

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 12:54pm | IP Logged
I realised I had forgotten to answer Genie's question about Fab-5 and edited a bit. :)

Edited by BoxedIn - 24 December 2014 at 12:53pm

Sexpotcharminggenie

charminggenie IF-Stunnerz
charminggenie
charminggenie

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 1:02pm | IP Logged
@BI - Interesting, how his mind works right? He desires the goodness but takes it as a weakness, so much for his upbringing. Nature vs Nuture tussle here, eh?
Probably he never thought about projecting his goodness but then he chose to do so anyway, the statement , I am not the good guy, I like to be bad. Telling Dhruv that he is the good one...so telling. He resigned himself to be not worthy of being the "good".
 But Nandini forces it out of him, maybe because she refused to be afraid of his darkness which definitely intrigued him, her struggles with her brother piqued his interest a sort of connection - I think she became fairly harmless after that. But Dhruv-Nandini equation plagued him not just because of the jealousy but it made him feel insecure , worthless, the label of being bad suffocated him. But when she gave up on Dhruv for their friendship, he saw the same selflessness that he associates with goodness and the light. 

But yeah the unfairness argument is the one which made him internalize and think over her words, which is why he challenged Harshad to a fair fight. He started changing willingly from thereon. 

Right now he is not internalizing her words or actions, he is just to stuck with the fear of her not being around him. Not his fault, it's a vision he has dealt with forever since his childhood . But he has to regroup back and mull over. Somewhere he also doesn't believe it's toxic, how can it be when he is happy, peaceful and himself around her. That is why he looks for confirmation from Cabir? 

@BI  - Steal me for those moments, as the designated photographer, it's your right. Embarrassed

SexpotBoxedIn

Go to top