Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

EXOL thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 9 years ago
wow what a fab post doc...
its so informative and the way u have explained it in with context of the characters is really fantastic..

too good !! :) 
Sexpot thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: zohasad2.0

Doc🤗

res

unres

I had to go through some articles to understand defence mechanisms and ego. You have explained it beautifully Doc. This is a fab post.👏 You made me search on such things...I love this damn it!!!🤗

Now what I get is that defense mechanisms usually come in play when anxiety and the feeling of all of it 'crumbling down' comes.It is the feeling of all of it failing and shattering that one adopts these mechanisms...to survive and protect themselves, to enclose themselves in a nutshell coz that is where they feel safe. Doesn't this sound ManikMalhotra2.o on our faces?😆 Well that is what he is, isn't it? This is how he escapes situations...and has been doing it for a very long time. Isn't this all related to your yesterday's question to Genie as to how he shunts Fab5 but not her...ever. He has been playing this way coz this is how he feels safe, this is how he overcomes issues and problems, conflicts which need his attention are solved this way only. He in a way runs away from them.

We use defense mechanisms to protect ourselves from feelings of anxiety or guilt, which arise because we feel threatened, or because our id or superego becomes too demanding. ---Saul McLeod

Finally 'EGO' comes in play which I would associate to the denial phase..which is one of the many defense mechanisms. And that is what Manik mainly plays other than acting out.

His refusal to accept the changes, the emotions--whatever they maybe...not only restricted to love--is what makes him act out differently. His ego comes in play and he just simply stops accepting things just coz he doesn't wanna admit to them, come at terms with them. This is typical him...choking himself to a point where he can't be reached by any, shutting himself in a cage of his own ego, his own denial, his own refusal---to his own experiences and reality.

I associate acting out as his other defense process. He simply starts acting out as 'extremes'. (Isn't that what Nandu says?) 

Self-injury may also be a form of acting-out, expressing in physical pain what one cannot stand to feel emotionally.---Dr. John Grohol

He takes the path of going to extreme behaviour when there is something he fails to express. Majorly coz of the emotional extremes he has faced in his life coz of the parental neglect or not enough care from their side...he prefers to go the 'BLACK' or 'WHITE' way...no grey in between, is it?

Now Nandu comes in play...she pushes his limits unline Fab5 and Nyonika and touches those nerves...hurts his ego, makes him act out...and then is the balm he needs. She is taking him out of this black hole he is in subconsciously. 

She is the one who hurts his ego, he answers abck, fights for it and eventually sheds that veil of ego and his inner softie rises above all---she sees through his vulnerability and tries to mend him.

She is the one who makes him act extremes...makes him o black and tries to act as if she is white but they gradually settle at grey coz there is the middle path they both chose...something neither too loaded for him nor too simple, something which isn;t a burden nor a magic spell...they chose a path on which he can walk bare feet with her.

Thus she is special...she is light...she is fireflies...she is stars...she is his love...which our Gadha doesn't understand.😆

Phew!!! DONE...I hope it matches up to ur level Doc.😉
----Zoha

Zoha you researched stuff,I'm really happy. It's so much fun interacting with you guys. It's like a light has been lit and it burns brightly. I love how you've understood the interplay of id,ego,superego. We all have combinations of defence mechanisms. In certain situations we use repression/ acting out/humor. But with Manik it's very well defined there is no crossover,disambiguation and that's why he needs Nandu. Before she came into his life there was a complete disconnect and he was working at the spinal level. That's why he is our gadha.
Love 
Muggle_Diaries thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: annboleyn

@muggle_diaries..I'm doc coz I'm doc.

Thanks for your comment and welcome to the forum. Manik and Nandu have the same degree of pull/ need/ attraction..call it whatever you want. But Maniks journey is slightly more complex as his inter personal relationships are extremely tenuous. His conflict is with himself and that's his beauty.

@lucky am glad you liked the interplay of id,ego and super ego

Wow! you are a real Doc! That's great. 😊

You are right in saying Manik's journey is complex. He has to overcome a lot to become as "Normal" as he can be. The point you made that he has to believe that he is worthy of "love" and he deserves it is a huge task. But at one point of time Nandini needs join in his journey. She also need to to understand his complexities and the mask he has because of this. In a way it is complex for her as well. It is in no way easy to be with a person like Manik. It needs a lot of will, be ready to dish out some tough love and also has to keep re-assuring him that no matter what she will be with him. Beneath all the mask, Manik also has insecurities and self-doubt. 

And yes, the pull is equally there between them. Just the way they feel are different. They are "loving" in a different language. 

Ahhh... what great character we have in Manik, isn't it? I am so looking forward to his journey..

See you around and looking forward to read more from you.

--Love and Peace-- 
charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Muggle_Diaries

You are right in saying Manik's journey is complex. He has to overcome a lot to become as "Normal" as he can be. The point you made that he has to believe that he is worthy of "love" and he deserves it is a huge task. But at one point of time Nandini needs join in his journey. She also need to to understand his complexities and the mask he has because of this. In a way it is complex for her as well. It is in no way easy to be with a person like Manik. It needs a lot of will, be ready to dish out some tough love and also has to keep re-assuring him that no matter what she will be with him. Beneath all the mask, Manik also has insecurities and self-doubt. 

And yes, the pull is equally there between them. Just the way they feel are different. They are "loving" in a different language. 

Ahhh... what great character we have in Manik, isn't it? I am so looking forward to his journey..

See you around and looking forward to read more from you.

--Love and Peace-- 

Hi MD, welcome to the forum, mind if I interact and expand a bit on Nandini.😊

They both experience the same pull, same passion and intensity. Nandini has responded, demanded and treated him with equal fervour. There has not being one regret, on hesitation or stepping back from her. But if Manik struggles with his vulnerabilities and puts a mask , Nandini too likes to safeguard herself and him from the pain she thinks the two of them seem to bring to each other. He opens up her insecurities about loving someone so deeply , that even the pain of watching him leave her has crippled her heart- she doesn't want to experience that and feel the same numbness that her parents' death gave her , just like Manik puts up ego, never labels love to safeguard his wounds , she chose to walk away from her happiness and joy , to avoid the hurt and pain. 

It's a very equal , all consuming bond. Like Manik said, two way street, if she knows her power on him, he sense her response to his touch and presence. 

It's a journey about them as a unit, together they will have to complete each other. They will have to find the harmony and method to their different thought  processes. 

Edited by charminggenie - 9 years ago
-MKB- thumbnail
Doc I loved what you wrote..its always so sexy to see you using psychology or medical terms to describe MaNan 
too bad that I skipped the topic of super ego Id otherwise I would have been able to participate in the discussion 
never the less.. I love you okay 🤗
Sanely_Insane thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I refrained myself from posting in this topic because it is too awesome to ruin it with my stupid antics. But then I thought what the heck, let me atleast mention how much I loved reading this informative piece. I have always been intrigued by Manik and his backstory. The fact that he is not a monster for real but that's his defence mechanism makes it interesting on a whole new level. When I think of Manik and his childhood, I can only see a little child being tortured, thrown in a dark pool, and him sobbing, waiting for someone to help him, someone who can rescue him. And when he didn't have anyone to fall back on, he found stars, a ray of hope, an escape from darkness. Like you said, he lashes out at Noyonika and Nandini coz he can. We only show our true side to someone who belongs to us and who won't go judgemental on you and Nandini is just that for Manik. I would like to believe that Noyonika cares for her son, she can't be that cold hearted.

I don't know what I rambled but I just rambled. Thank you for such beautiful post doc.
Sexpot thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: charminggenie

They both experience the same pull, same passion and intensity. Nandini has responded, demanded and treated him with equal fervour. There has not being one regret, on hesitation or stepping back from her. But if Manik struggles with his vulnerabilities and puts a mask , Nandini too likes to safeguard herself and him from the pain she thinks the two of them seem to bring to each other. He opens up her insecurities about loving someone so deeply , that even the pain of watching him leave her has crippled her heart- she doesn't want to experience that and feel the same numbness that her parents' death gave her , just like Manik puts up ego, never labels love to safeguard his wounds , she chose to walk away from her happiness and joy , to avoid the hurt and pain. 

It's a very equal , all consuming bond. Like Manik said, two way street, if she knows her power on him, he sense her response to his touch and presence. 

It's a journey about them as a unit, together they will have to complete each other. They will have to find the harmony and method to their different thought  processes. 

See this is why you are my better half.
Muggle_Diaries thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: charminggenie

Spot on... 😊👍🏼
She is afraid to face abandonment. And they need to some where down the line journey together. 

They both have the intensity of feelings on the same level. But what she needs from Manik is the tenderness.Hence her repeated appeal for him about his anger. She needs some space. She needs to know that he will not leave her when something else comes. His love so far has manifested in "Anger", "Aggressive-ness" and "Passion". Also, even if she joins her life to his, she will have tough task to be in the relationship. Manik is bound to make mistakes. So, she will have to be so sure of herself and her feelings for him to stick with him though out. The changes Manik will have to go through is not an easy one and Nandini will always face the backlash of it. For that she has to overcome her issues first which you have put it so perfectly.  

--Love and Peace--

ashmitaa thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Manik is tooo good..!! love him..sooo honest..so real..waahhh..!! Pyaar ho yaa nafrat ..dono hi puri shiddat se kartaa hai..!!
BoxedIn thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Doc! This post took me right back to all those Freud-Jung classes I so badly wanted to bunk during college but never could because they were so crazy good. And you actually used citations! No wonder everyone I know is in love with you. 

I actually think the best way to look at these kids is to study their group dynamics. Fab-5 is a very interesting outfit because even though they all look similar on the surface, dig deep and you'll find all shades of the rainbow in here, resentment/absence of one or more parental figures being a common factor. And Nandini, the girl who saw her own parents die in front of her eyes, who nurses a bitter hatred of the shining stars which the rest of the world finds so pretty, she bursts into their fiercely-protected cocoon and shakes it up. Then you brought up the Eros/Psyche story, it is the Classical Beauty & the Beast in a way, but so much more too. Everyone has already explained the Nandini's place in his life so well, as well as his parental disappointments, I'll just talk about the other thing which has always intrigued me about Manik.

We were talking about ManRuv a few days back, and so I went back to my favourite one, and you here have quoted the exact lines which have always got me.
"I'm not good, I like to be bad." 
And doesn't that 'like to be' tell us so much about Manik? Self-awareness. It exists in him. The only thing Manik has never been honest to Dhruv about is Nandini. As for the rest of himself, it was always Dhruv who acted as the sounding-board for him. Dhruv was this mostly silent, 'always on the right side' guy on whom Manik projected his 'goodness'- I'd say Dhruv was his superego, in that sense. The guy he depended upon to keep it 'covered', to keep him and his friends from crossing that ultimate line from which Manik knows there would be no going back. Which is why the Dhruv-Nandini connection put him completely off-kilter. It was not merely friendship vs love for him. How do you begin to choose between your moral anchor and your emotional anchor? Because Nandini had become the second one for him, she is still that. His Ego, as you so aptly put it.
When he fought with Dhruv, he took it out on his guitar, an extension of himself. But when he fights with Nandini, he storms at her until he is able to process her words. One is a constant in his life, the other the change that he needs in order to reach a calmer, more secure, phase in his life. He has passed his first test with the inferiority complex/guilt/apology phase he went through after she punched him in that jungle. Now's the second. A new kind of self-awareness, where he'll have to see her feelings in order to express his own. Put her first, in order to deal with his own reality. If the writers do this properly, it should be an epic story. 

Will do the rest of the Fab-5 sometime later. It's strange how I wrote so much about Manik today, I almost never do. Your post is beauty, Doc. Thank you for pushing me out of my Gadha-zone and making me really think about this guy after so long. 🤗

Edited by BoxedIn - 9 years ago