Mahakumbh 1-4: The Quest for Immortality DT note pg 15 - Page 3

Posted: 9 years ago
Thank you so much, my dear (can I have your actual name, if you do not mind that? If you have already  told me and I have forgotten, please put it down to my failing grey cellsπŸ˜‰ and let me  have it again!).

As I was telling Swetha above, when I start a post, especially one done after nearly 4 months, I am never sure how it is going to turn out. So I am both glad and relieved that so many of you seem to have liked this one so much.

Seema Biswas is always very very competent, and here, she has got a solid part into which she can sink her teeth with gusto. Good for us!

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by sp108

Excellent post Aunty!
And you are absolutely right about Seema. You need to be on your toes to catch the nuances of her facial expressions. But the effect is marvellous. She is so effortless and effective. The scene where she dons the sun glasses to hide her tears, but eventually breaks down to hug a departing Rudra was beautifully emoted. With the sun glasses covering her eyes, she used all of her facial muscles to deliver a touching sadness. 

And the young Rudra is definitely a treat to watch. I loved the way he performed the roof top escape. And he is brilliant acting-wise. That he can hold his own in front of brilliant actors like Seema and Robin Das speaks a lot about his talent. I'll definitely watch Asoka for this boy.

I did not know about the role of Garuda in Samudramanthan. You have beautifully explained it.

Eagerly looking forward for Mahakumbh to unfold and equally eager for your wonderful posts!

Edited by sashashyam - 9 years ago
Thank you so much, my dear Faria. I am really pleased that  a completely new reader went thru the whole of such a long post and loved it. It is most reassuring!

I  too am looking forward to seeing Gautam as the adult Rudra. I loved Saraswatichandra till Kumud married that sadist Pramad (?), at which point I quit. The romantic scenes between Saras and Kumud were so delicate and touching, but here there will be not be much scope for that sort of thing. This is going to be an action thriller, so he will have a new genre to work on.

And yes, Seema Biswas is fabulous.

Shyamala

Originally posted by fariaabrar

Hi Shyamala
you wrote so wonderfully and analaysed the show perfectly that I have no words .πŸ‘  I am a huge Gautam admirer and eagerly waiting for his entry  and  I am sure that he will make it worth watching show for you . My second fav character till now is maimui and seema biswasji is superb . Looking forward to your posts .

Faria
I shall be waiting, Nawab Asadullah Khan 'Ghalib'!

Shyamala

Originally posted by ghalibmirza

shyamala, my dearest thanks for the pm..now i will take some time to read your analysis and watch the epi as i have a hectic day ahead of me..but am dying to read what you have to say and then give my two cents..talk to you laterπŸ€—
Originally posted by sashashyam

Thank you so much, my dear (can I have your actual name, if you do not mind that? If you have already  told me and I have forgotten, please put it down to my failing grey cellsπŸ˜‰ and let me  have it again!).

As I was telling Swetha above, when I start a post, especially one done after nearly 4 months, I am never sure how it is going to turn out. So I am both glad and relieved that so many of you seem to have liked this one so much.

Seema Biswas is always very very competent, and here, she has got a solid part into which she can sink her teeth with gusto. Good for us!

Shyamala Aunty

My name is Shreya πŸ˜Š
Preeti my dear,

Thank you for such a warm and supportive comment. I like this serial without any  reservations and I do not think either of us is going to be disappointed. And the reasons for that are many, several of which you have neatly summed up here.

Yes, the cinematography does remind one of films rather than of stuffy TV serial sets. There were two shots which were visually very appealing. One, the teenage Rudra poised on top of that rail bridge, arms akimbo, whole body tensed for a super-Olympic dive. Next, the time when he angrily pulls the rope off that bundle of wood. The way the sticks fall is so beautiful, like watching autumn leaves fall to the ground.

As for my knee, yesterday's overdose, on top of my lack of discipline the day before, has not been good for it, I have to rest it much more over the next few days. It was the continuous typing for an hour at a time, more than the total time used up. But I needed to get this post out of my system, and in any case, I am not going to write anything more till the next weekend, so I hope my transgressions will be forgiven by my wonky knee!πŸ˜‰

Shyamala

Originally posted by Coolpree

Hi again, Shyamala   thanks for the pm alert.  I am so glad for your post which is as usual brilliant.  
As I said to you before MK is right up my alley and I can get lost in the world of secret societies.  I am thrilled that someone had the courage to come up with a TV serial on this.  In the face of all the regressive family dramas on TV this is a very bold choice and I Hope it will succeed.

I was amazed at your narration of the legend of Garuda and amritmanthan.  I did not know any of that..WOW.
Young Rudra is amazing.  I am now determined to watch Ashoka to enjoy this young blazing talent.  What can one say about Seema Biswas...brilliant but nothing less is expected from this legendary actress.  
Shymala I am embarrassed to say I had never heard of Gautam Rode and had to google him to look him up.  I hope he lives up to the standards this show has set so far.
The cinematography  on the banks of Kashi and Allahabad is breathtaking...loved it.  I felt I was watching a film rather than Indian TV.

I am looking forward to this journey with MK.  Your presence and writings are going to be the exclamation point!!
Hope the knees are healing well...happy writings and take care
I shall be waiting for you, my dear.

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by -aady-

Aunty, will catch up with episodes and definitely comment. As of now I am in a bit of a daze. Completed watching2, just 2 more to go. πŸ˜ƒ
Ela my dear,

I am delighted that you liked this one so much, I was a tad unsure about it.

It was tiring, even though I did it in three spells, each took more than an hour. That is the problem the long spells, rather than the total time used up. My knee is worse now, and will need a lot of rest, but I needed to get this post out of my system.  I do not have to do anything more till the weekend, by which time I hope my knee would have forgiven my trespasses!

As for your question, I simply do not understand it, except to attribute it to an age-old human obsession with beating the rule of  human mortality. It is not, as Calliope has tried to make out in her somewhat esoteric comment on this point, that they want to save the world by living on to tackle a future apocalypse when it occurs. No, I do not think, looking at them, that they want amrit for the benefit of mankind, They clearly resemble the James Bond villains, the SPECTRE types who want to establish a ruthless domination over the whole world.

How are they going to do it without perfect health all thru for these Overlords, and super brains to match? Right now they seem unable to even hold a prisoner! And see, that Grierson does not even have the brains to tell the angry Cardinal (I goofed up there, his costume in the ordinary day dress for a cardinal, not a bishop!😑) that he has planted that GPS chip under Shivanand's skin and can pick him up at once!

I hope you can catch up on the rest of the episodes soon.And yes, I too want Rajat to get a great role, and soon!

Shyamala

Originally posted by elasingh

Fantastic analysis Shyamala...So you posted ur analysis at last ...I know how taxing it is for you...Shyamala I wont comment on the serial as you definitely have watched all the episodes while I have missed at least 40% of these...but one thing I am wondering abt...What is the purpose of polish priest and Indian pujari to get amrita? They do not look real bad to me...at least the polish priest...May be they want amrit for the benefit of mankind!!!!Yeh bhi toh ho sakta hai na...
I wish RT also got a great role like Rudra...

Aunty...am so happy to read your posts againπŸ€—
My first attraction to this show was its genre..."maar-dhaad, action se bharpoor" thriller pulls me big time...am no, DDLJ fan (no offence to fans though) 

Then the city...MY city, which am now missing big timeπŸ˜”

For now the whole star cast is giving stellar performances⭐️

Though, am a bit skeptical of Gautam...especially after watching Siddharth...but will wait for his show to begin.

Aunty, please take care of your health.
Edited by mishtidoi - 9 years ago
Originally posted by adiana12

Hi Shyamala, am watching MK as its one of my fav genre's - today was a let down but lets see - its still early - the kid playing the teen Rudra is superb - so is Seema Biswas as Maimui - not a fan of Rode so wont comment - till last week the story was the hero for MK but today I saw the shift - as of now will watch but I am skeptical about this one now πŸ˜› - JA messed up by making itself heroine oriented this one seems to be following the cinema route of making itself actor oriented - lets see how it unfolds now πŸ˜ƒ

Bang on comment, my dearest "bachpan main Kumbh ke mele main bichdi hui JUDWA behna" πŸ˜† .

..even i'm  not a great fan of GR, though he sure is eye candy πŸ˜ƒ...but obviously, both you n I have got used to the "flavour" of another super yummy candy now. ...πŸ˜‰...so will take some time in appreciating "new flavours"...πŸ˜†

Haven't seen yesterday's epi as yet. ...will comment after I've seen it...

Shyamala Aunty...lovely analysis, as usual..am a great fan of your writing...though I need to confess that I haven't read this one in toto. ..*me running away fast before Shyamala Aunty gets hold of a cane*...πŸ˜ƒ...will reply in detail when I read in detail...*sprints away* πŸ˜†
Originally posted by ---Khushi---

..even i'm  not a great fan of GR, though he sure is eye candy πŸ˜ƒ...but obviously, both you n I have got used to the "flavour" of another super yummy candy now. ...πŸ˜‰...so will take some time in appreciating "new flavours"...πŸ˜†

Haven't seen yesterday's epi as yet. ...will comment after I've seen it...

Shyamala Aunty...lovely analysis, as usual..am a great fan of your writing...though I need to confess that I haven't read this one in toto. ..*me running away fast before Shyamala Aunty gets hold of a cane*...πŸ˜ƒ...will reply in detail when I read in detail...*sprints away* πŸ˜†

@pink
Khushi, after getting used to THE candy of the yummiest flavour for more than a year now, how can we ever appreciate any other flavour or rhode-side candy?🀣

To explain further, I will quote Surdas and Aunty's explanation,

-  Kamalnayan ka chadi mahatam kaun dev ko dhyave: (So too) How can one  abandon the intoxication of the (worship of the ) Kamalanayan (the lotus-eyed one, here Surdas'aaraadhya, Lord Krishna) and meditate on another God? 

-Paramganga ko chhadi ko durmati koop khanave: How can a thirsty man leave the holyparam Ganga and  go  to dig a well? 

Jini madhukar ambuj ras chakhyo kyu kareel phal bhave: Why would the bee,  which has tasted the honey from the lotus,  like the karela (bitter gourd)?  

Surdas prabhu kaamdhenu taji, chheri kaun duhave: Why  would anyone who has theKamadhenu (the source of endless wisdom) in the Lord, go and try to milk something else (I do not know what chheri means, perhaps a goat?)

This time, not just Aunty, even Surdas will come after me with a cane...🀣

Edited by Sandhya.A - 9 years ago