Everest

India-Forums

Everest
Everest

Everest or Sagarmatha. Symbolism of respecting a woman (Page 2)

dey.bh IF-Rockerz
dey.bh
dey.bh

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 1:21am | IP Logged

For the show I never noticed anyone referring the Everest as female. In Hindi everything is determined by gender so if they had called her female anytime  either I didn't notice it or they probably never did it.

I will have to wait till I know about it from the Nepalese point of view. 

Nevertheless I fail to connect Everest with the female energy. May be because its name also was derived from Mr. George Everest's name which restricts my imagination.

I never take love as a girly thing. Its an universal language.

Nevertheless each will have their perspective..Please note I of course respect your opinion even if I fail to accept or understand it. I hope you understand that too. I just hope I haven't hurt your sentiments but  I guess I ruined this thread which had some other intentionOuch Sorry about that.

p.S: Sagarmath was a typing error

Edited by dey.bh - 22 December 2014 at 1:26am

pallavi25 IF-Stunnerz
pallavi25
pallavi25

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 6:15am | IP Logged
Originally posted by dey.bh

ClapClap Wow Pallavi !! so well explained. You are an encyclopedia. Itna to Rawat ya Raman bhi nahi jante hongeLOL
First of all let me apologise to the TM because I forgot about Annapurna or Nanda who ae typically worshipped as goddess.

But still I never heard the Everest being referred as a woman anywhere ? Can you clear this confusion  please?

Thanks and you're welcome!
I will have to research abt Everest/ Sagarmatha some more to find out if Nepalese worship it as male or female...Smile
Actually my whole family are all Himalayas afficionados, especially my mother, who has read all the literature available on Himalayas, written by various Bengali travel authors.

So bachpan se we grew up hearing abt Nanda Devi and Annapurna being worshipped as female Goddesses and Mt. Kailash worshipped as Shiv ji's abode. Kanchenjunga is also a male peak.

In fact, Nanda Devi is considered so sacred, very few expeditions have even tried to climb it. 
The peak is regarded as the patron-goddess of the Uttarakhand Himalaya. In acknowledgment of its religious significance and for the protection of the its fragile ecosystem, the peak as well as the circle of high mountains surrounding it"the Nanda Devi sanctuary"were closed to both locals and climbers in 1983. The surrounding Nanda Devi National Park was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyLakshmishruthiravi

pallavi25 IF-Stunnerz
pallavi25
pallavi25

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 1:15am | IP Logged
@ Debbie and Shruthi:
Turned out Everest is indeed a female peak, in tonight's episode, Sherpa Purva keeps on referring to Sagarmatha as She and as a Goddess. 

LovelyLakshmishruthiravi

shruthiravi IF-Sizzlerz
shruthiravi
shruthiravi

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 1:25am | IP Logged
yaa Pallavi. Sherpa was feeling offended that the peak they treat as holy mother is not respected by outsiders.
The sacred peak is polluted by outsiders. Show has tried to look into the feelings of natives when their faith is challenged and how we have to emphateic to them in understanding those.

LovelyLakshmipallavi25

dey.bh IF-Rockerz
dey.bh
dey.bh

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 2:45am | IP Logged
Yes, yesterday Sherpa called it mother.
Sorry Shruti.

Now I have another question. Is it Phoolwa or Purva ? I always fail to hear it properly.
shruthiravi IF-Sizzlerz
shruthiravi
shruthiravi

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 2:52am | IP Logged
No issues dey.Big smile
pallavi25 IF-Stunnerz
pallavi25
pallavi25

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 8:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by dey.bh

Yes, yesterday Sherpa called it mother.
Sorry Shruti.

Now I have another question. Is it Phoolwa or Purva ? I always fail to hear it properly.

We get english subtitles here during the episode, it says Purba...but Im not sure, Colonel clearly said Phurba...but others are saying Purba or Purva...

Go to top